• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Al Qaida just declared War on ISIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

params7

Banned
Funny thing is how the U.S. played a founding part in both of these factions. Al Qaeda to fight the Soviets. ISIS to fight Assad.

Whoever wins this war, the innocents of middle east will lose. Don't be surprised when populations in ME go on to call the U.S. as the 'great Satan'.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
Yup. I say let them fight it out. We just sit back and relax and watch. Then when one wins the rest of the world just moves in and takes out the winner.

Josh5890

I know this shouldn't be joked at all since war is horrible, even if necessary at times, but it is nice to see our enemies fight each other.

TheOGB

Banned
My first thought was LetThemFight.gif

As much as I wish it'd just be those two killing each other until none were left, I know in reality a lot of innocent people will be killed as part of their war against each other.
I want to say this stinks because a lot of innocent people would probably get in the way of their war, but innocent people are seemingly fucked no matter what happens.
But then this immediately followed and I felt like shit.

why do we always announce our plans publicly in the media
Seriously, unless it's part of the plan to fuck with them both, that seems really dumb.

Ogodei

Pretty straightforward. The Syrian Al-Nusra Front is under the AQ umbrella, and they have been the leading figure in the non-ISIS resistance to Assad for several years now.

JCreasy

tve96160-3449-20150712-0.jpg

Azih

People wanting desperately for a 'secular' FSA to show up really need to give that up. The West shouldn't have gone after Assad.

I hope the people who applaud this realize the standard weapon of Al-Qaeda is a huge car bomb and any attack on ISIS will kill dozens, if not hundreds of bystanders.

PJV3

There seems to be a never ending supply of lunatics so I can't see much to be positive about.

More violence, more nutters.

Fox318

There are still plenty of idiots out there:

"Arm Al-Qaeda In Syria To Fight ISIS: Retired General Petraeus

Retired general and former Central Intelligence Agency Director David Petraeus, who led U.S. forces in Afghanistan and Iraq, has been “quietly urging” U.S. officials to work with members of al-Qaeda’s Syrian al-Nusra group to combat ISIS"

everytime the US has tried that it has fucked us.

Either leave the nations alone or carpet bomb military training bases.

Chumpion

Al Qaida on its way to becoming the moral equivalent of the Founding Fathers... again...

Most of all, I fear for the health of the memory hole. A rectal prolapse may be imminent.

If ISIS gets defeated, will Kurds push for a independant Kurdistan in the region? And what will Turkey say to that?

I talked to a friend who said it won't be like Israel. If they make a Kurdistan of a part of Syria it won't have the same religious connotation, and most Syrians might even be okay with it if the Kurds manage to drive out ISIS and Assad.

I had no idea there were so many Kurds in the region. They really are enough to push for their own nation!

AndyD

aka andydumi
If ISIS gets defeated, will Kurds push for a independant Kurdistan in the region? And what will Turkey say to that?

I talked to a friend who said it won't be like Israel. If they make a Kurdistan of a part of Syria it won't have the same religious connotation, and most Syrians might even be okay with it if the Kurds manage to drive out ISIS and Assad.

I had no idea there were so many Kurds in the region. They really are enough to push for their own nation!

Honestly I thought Kurdistan was an actual country for a long time. I don' think the same situation as Israel/Palestine would happen from a religious perspective, but there would be a lot of arguing over resource rich areas instead.

danwarb

back in my day we didn't need production values to get people to watch our beheading videos
We're allied with the beheading fundamentalist islamic source state of Saudi Arabia, but I don't think they do videos in quite the same way?

It's weird that we're currently bombing or wanting to bomb almost everyone who's fighting ISIS, while arming more fundamentalist nuts in Syria, and terrorising Yemen.

whoever said "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" wasn't talking about the middle east

wikipedia:

The enemy of my enemy is my friend is an ancient proverb which suggests that two opposing parties can or should work together against a common enemy. The earliest known expression of this concept is found in a Sanskrit treatise on statecraft dating to around the 4th century BC, while the first recorded use of the current English version came in 1884. Some suggest that the proverb is of Arabic origin

So, actually they may have been talking about the middle east!

So, considering that Arabs think that your enemy's enemy is your friend, do both ISIS and Al Qaida now no longer want to wipe us out? that would be a nice change of pace

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
wikipedia:

So, actually they may have been talking about the middle east!

So, considering that Arabs think that your enemy's enemy is your friend, do both ISIS and Al Qaida now no longer want to wipe us out? that would be a nice change of pace

i suppose, the actual use of that should be:

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend, unless they are also my enemy"

Wasn't there a story of how there was apparently lots of infighting and desertion as lots of the rank and file don't like the new leader. Most are joining IS, so they are really just fighting against their ex soldiers.

gosox333

they're terrorist groups, the fact is they're gonna terrorize. It's what they do, people are gonna die.

I guess I won't express open enjoyment at the idea of the two fighting each other, as it will likely lead to innocent deaths, but all things considered it's probably more convenient than them waging individual campaigns.

I think that's more along the lines what others in this thread are trying to express.

Walpurgis

Banned
Funny thing is how the U.S. played a founding part in both of these factions. Al Qaeda to fight the Soviets. ISIS to fight Assad.

Whoever wins this war, the innocents of middle east will lose. Don't be surprised when populations in ME go on to call the U.S. as the 'great Satan'.

I know that ISIS was born under the eyes of the U.S. but I didn't know that the Americans used ISIS to fight Assad. It seems that they are somehow involved in everything wrong with that place.

SSPssp

I know that ISIS was born under the eyes of the U.S. but I didn't know that the Americans used ISIS to fight Assad. It seems that they are somehow involved in everything wrong with that place.

ISIS and Assad have mostly avoided each other. Assad just let them kill off the other rebels.

Nah both of them are our enemy and both of them are enemies its more of a hatred triangle not a linear path.

I think I have it all figured out now.

So USA and Al Qaida are enemies and so are USA and ISIS. But now suddenly the situation changes as Al Qaida and ISIS become enemies. For both of them, USA is now the enemy of their enemy, so for both of them USA is now their friend. But if the enemy of your enemy is your friend, then surely so is the friend of your friend? Thus, ISIS and Al Qaida become friends and the hatred triangle turns into a love triangle.

Sijil

The US will continue to turna blind eye to the Saudis arming Al Quaeda, aka the Nusra front, to combat ISIS, Nusra front already has free reigns in Turkey and they operate a large US made arsenal from TOW launchers to nightvisions.

We'll see how the jihadi thinkers read this, the young jihadi generation don't care much of AQ and their losses against the US while ISIS is a rising jihadi star. Seeing AQ fighting with US made weapons would probably mean defections to the ISIS camp.

Let them murder each other, too bad plenty of civilians will be caught in the crossfire.

Ayumi

I really hope governments stay out of this. The last thing we want is more support to AL qaida.
It's always lovely when they only have resources on the most ridiculous contexts and situations. One should always expect them to interfere where it is the least needed.

Just keep in mind the involvement with ISIS' founding and ISIS themselves go way back; long before Syria. Al-Zarqawi was the founder back in the late 90's and it really kicked into gear in Iraq. Its current membership consists of many Baathists who served under Saddam.

That's not really accurate, that America "used ISIS to fight Assad." America gave support to what they knew as Syrian rebels, some of whom ended up at ISIS or groups who sympathize with them.

All this sounds like a plot point waiting to happen in MGS VI. We should give ISIS and AL Qaeda nukes. Cus you know, nuclear deterrance. #OnlyKojima

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom