• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aladdin (GEN), The Lion King, and The Jungle Book are all available now on GOG

KainXVIII

I also want the princess games like Pocahontas :(

We only get this ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

4426_50b9e9a17994c.jpg

6366_569f1c19c0ccd.jpg

6365_569f1e4f2a0b6.jpg

MrFortyFive

Awesome. The Lion King (SNES) crushed me as a kid. I don't think I ever got more than a couple levels in. It'll be great to revisit it. In for all three. Gotta Love that Disney tax though.

boskee

This may sound off topic, but why is it usually GOG that gets these classics first, versus Steam? Is it easier clearance or something like that?

CDP has a long history of partnership with Disney. They were distributing their movies in Poland, among other things.

MrBadger

just here to say that aladdin snes beats aladdin genesis any day

I think the character animation is all the Megadrive version has going for it when compared to the SNES version. Even visually, I think the SNES version is more vibrant and less muddy looking. But hey, he has a sword

deleted

Woah, Disney is finally open to re-releasing these games?
It would be awesome if we'd get the Capcom SNES games on gog.com too (close to impossible I guess?), or finally a VC re-release of Goof Troop, Mickey's Magical Quest, Mickey Mania etc...

Edit: And Maui Mallard of course!

I loved these games as a kid, Disney used to have some great licensed games. Of the 3 listed, Lion King is my favorite.

Regarding Aladdin, I have a strong preference for the SNES version. The game is rather short, but in my opinion, it's among the better 16 bit platformers of all time; and had better platforming/gameplay in general when compared with the Genesis version. I've still got the code for my favorite level memorized.
Genie, Jafar, Aladdin, Abu

Nostalgia overload.

Will buy them when they are cheaper, 20 euro for 3 really old games...

That's odd, it's only £14 for the three, which should be around €16 these days.

Woah, Disney is finally open to re-releasing these games?
It would be awesome if we'd get the Capcom SNES games on gog.com too (close to impossible I guess?), or finally a VC re-release of Goof Troop, Mickey's Magical Quest, Mickey Mania etc...

Edit: And Maui Mallard of course!

Not impossible, but it'd be a big step for GOG to move to snes games.

Probably get a lot of people complaining about how high the requirements are for pefect snes emulation too.

Had Aladdin on Genesis and my friend had the SNES version. Preferred the SNES version but honestly have a soft spot for both. Golden age of licensed games.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'll never forget Aladdin's Genesis cheat: ABBAABBA would skip a level. This is a welcome addition, I'll probably pick it up.

ABRACADABRA also had the Dave Perry menu where you could just select the level that way.

deleted

Not impossible, but it'd be a big step for GOG to move to snes games.

Probably get a lot of people complaining about how high the requirements are for pefect snes emulation too.

Isn't there a problem with emulating SNES games without Nintendo's go?
I don't think I've ever seen one leave Nintendos nest before. And ports that come this late are close to impossible I guess..

Spwn

Aladdin was so great as a kid that instead of pausing and going the bathroom to pee, I couldn't stop playing until I wet myself. Take that as a recommendation.

LewieP

Was just thinking that I'd like to replay Aladdin on Vita given that it's got a DOSbox port now. Dunno how well it runs, and it's really early so probably better off waiting a while, but glad that availability on GOG will make it easier.

Are these all definitely DOS versions?

Edit: Although emulating the console versions might have better results. I know Aladdin is the same as the Mega Drive version, same true for The Lion King and The Jungle Book?

Edit2: I had the big box release of Aladdin, but lost the manual with the words to type in for the DRM, but remembered that one of the twenty or so words it wanted was "Apple", so just booted it and exited until "Apple" was the word it accepted.

Coreda

Mannnn. Aladdin brings back memories of being at my Egyptian friend's house when I was little and playing it on his PC. GJ GOG.

I don't think I've ever seen one leave Nintendos nest before. And ports that come this late are close to impossible I guess..

I don't see why unless they signed some kind of contract back in the day. I guess they'd have to cut off all the snes mentions at the beginning of the game.

Straight DOSbox without improvements? With that price tag I'd hope there would be more to it.

Yeah, I find this a little crazy too. Knock the price for each of these down to $5 and the bundle price to $10 and that would be more reasonable. Especially since aren't some of these games available for free through Archive.org?

There were PC ports?

All three games had DOS ports...

Aladdin (1993, DOS): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_jf6NAc-bo (That MIDI Music)
Disney's the Jungle Book (1994, DOS): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZTDGSwRRnQ
The Lion King (1996. DOS): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fv6TscQ1Qc

Fuck this level, FUCK IT

as a kid I think I got game over in this level alone over 50 times.

That level was purposely designed to prevent people from completing the game through a two day rental period.

One of the developers that worked on the game explains this in a Double Fine "Dev's Play" video: https://youtu.be/kILeyo1iv0A?t=1110

Sakwoff

I think the Umihara Kawase games on steam might actually be modified but emulated SNES roms at their core. If I remember correctly. There is no mention of Nintendo whatsoever of course, but there are telling UI elements of some well-known emulator.

Sloane

Banned
For some reason, I had no idea there was a Jungle Book game. Played Aladdin and Lion King a lot back then, but Jungle Book? Huh.

Top Bottom