• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aladdin Special Look Trailer w/blue genie

trikster40

The Fresh Prince of Agribah.

Not sure why Disney thinks they need live action movies of all of their animated movies. Waiting for the inevitable Toy Story live action movie.

Last edited:
It's literally just a blue Will Smith.

Everything about this feels off. Is Dev Patel's schedule that busy? Give everything to Jon Favreau and stay back.

Fbh

Holy shit that has to be the worst "digitalising" of an actor since the rock as the scorpion king

Once again, Disney has proven that they can do no wrong.

Wait, sorry. No. The other one. What's the word I'm thinking of? Oh, right.

Once again, Disney has proven that they can WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT BLUE ABOMINATION AND WILL FIRE KILL IT?!

LMJ

Yet again Will Smith plays...Will Smith, what range, what talent...
but seriously there wasn't a better more varied actor they could have chosen, I mean not one?

To replace Robin freaking Williams?!?

womfalcs3

Banned
I will give it a chance. Nobody can beat Robin, though. That charisma.... that energy he brought to his vocal work. Matched the animation perfectly.

Typhares

YcKLR0E.jpg

Lanrutcon

Man. I wish they'd gone for a dry, sarcastic Genie this time around. Instead they're trying to capture that Robin William's magic without the source.

I opened this thread on mobile and got 3 ads for porta-toilets. I guess it was fitting how much the trailer looked like shit.

Javthusiast

Banned
This ain‘t Aladdin: A XXX Parody.

That‘s what the movies cgi looks to be on par with.

Also, Jafar is way too young, good looking and has zero menace in his kid voice.

Quite frankly, my kids have been watching Tangled, Frozen, Big Hero 6 and so on. I can honestly say that with how great those movies look, there is no reason to go live action with Aladdin. It would have looked great as a CGI flick.

Verdanth

People will have nightmares with this. That's a messed up Genie right there.

Why not go full CG and only use Will's voice?

Vlaphor

The genie looks bad
Jafar looks laughable (and why isn't he wearing his old man disguise like he would be in that scene)
Aladdin seems fine
Jasmine is suitably hot (though I miss the midriff)

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I understand no one can replace Robin Williams but I think Will Smith is a perfect fit for Genie
Now what Disney is does with it well... guess we're gonna have to wait and see.
But come in guys Will is probably the only thing they got right so far.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Jasmine barely looks Arabic, but then again there are a lot Arabic peoples who don't have brown skin and stereotypical Arabic looks.

Will isn't TOO bad ... Hopefully the CG isn't done yet. They still have time to tweak it.

VulcanRaven

I don't like it. I just don't like how this movie looks for some reason. It might be the bad cgi. The animated movie looks much better.

Last edited:

tkscz

That looks terrible, but we all know how this will go. It's going to make Disney Billions and a month after it's release people will go "you know what? That movie was pretty terrible" and just recommend watching the original animated version.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Jasmine barely looks Arabic, but then again there are a lot Arabic peoples who don't have brown skin and stereotypical Arabic looks.

Will isn't TOO bad ... Hopefully the CG isn't done yet. They still have time to tweak it.
Thank you, it's is completely unknown to people that I'm Arabic because I'm white, my friends call me Zohan ffs.
but just like in that film people keep mistaken us for the Arabs who do look stereotypical.
I've got mousy brown hair and blue eyes and I'm still represented like Aladdin is in this.
Fun fact, Mili Avital who played Shar're in the original Star Gate movie was one of the only actors/actress that was actually Arabic.
Although by today standards people would say her character was Whitewashed.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Disney is basically implementing their 90s straight to video strategy.

now that the landscape has changed and there is no difference between TV and movies, this works for them.

so we get live action remakes and soft reboots, only difference is now they are in theaters, whereas in the past this is the type of trash they would shove onto a VHS.

but they own all the IPs so they don't need to do anything else. just keep hitting that "make product" button and people will buy.

-BLITZ-

Something is off, definitely.

I would prefer Will Smith in his real skin color. It will be more of him and that could make the movie more funny or funny being with him. I love the actor. Probably, that is my reason.

Last edited:

megamerican

Not only is the Genie's appearance jarring physically, it's also jarring tonally. It's like Will Smith doing a Will Smith impression.

Also think was a mistake not to go with Dev Patel, this new Aladdin looks incredibly bland. Like I just watched the trailer and I would be hardpressed to describe one thing about him.

mutt765

Everyone's talking about the genie, which does look bad, but I think Aladdin is the biggest worry for me. The original has a super confident swagger and likeability that this guy hasn't shown at all so far. Also, I don't think Abu is going to work as a real monkey, without the expressive face that he has in the cartoon he's going to be a much less integral character.

ruvikx

Banned
Flop of the year incoming. At this rate of shit on a stick movies & performances, Will Smith is going to look back with nostalgia at his Wild Wild West days. It's also tone deaf from Disney, i.e. someone should have told those guys the fact Will Smith's wisecracking comedy act hasn't been a box-office ticket seller since like... the 1990's. Yet the trailer's "big reveal" was Will Smith playing Will Smith & looking like the bastard offspring of a smurf, Dwain Johnson's infamous Scorpion King CGI-fest & Robin Williams' own legendary Popeye mistake back in 1980.

LMJ

It's a real shame they didn't distort the genie at all or try to make him a little more cartoony or a little more unreal, it basically looks like a slightly more muscular Will Smith.

The pictures DeepEnigma DeepEnigma showed clearly point out that this could have been solved fairly easily, I mean let's not forget this is the same company that used tech to de-age Samuel L Jackson , and Robert Downey jr. Pretty convincingly, sloppy form Disney, sloppy form.

Top Bottom