• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 to be revealed this year!?

RPGamer92

Banned
if this happens, its probably a launch title for the new xbox. that would be awesome.

arent they working on that game since 2010? they mentioned a brand new animation technology for faces back then.
They also worked on American Nightmare as well.

Sentenza

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I would actually prefer to see them on something entirely new, as I respect Remedy as a developer but the love for Alan Wake never clicked for me.

Regardless, even if it's a new Alan Wake game, I'd like it to be closer to the original vision for the first one: some sort of open world survival horror/adventure game, instead of a linear third person shooter with the flashlight.

XPE

GOTY 2019.

Bit of truth to that unfortunately =(

Glad they are making a second one, really enjoyed the 1st game and american nightmare, dont know what it was but there was something I really like about american nightmare.

65447443afo8d.gif

lol perfect.

Cheddahz

Banned
It's going to be another Alan Wake arcade game! /sacrasm

I still need to play the first Alan Wake, I've heard great things about it

Just finished the original. Wtf at the ending ? DLC worth something ? are they epilogues are separate story line ?

AA is stand alone, worth it ?

Derrick01

Banned
Maybe I'm alone in this, but I would actually prefer to see them on something entirely new, as I respect Remedy as a developer but the love for Alan Wake never clicked for me.

Regardless, even if it's a new Alan Wake game, I'd like it to be closer to the original vision for the first one: some sort of open world survival horror/adventure game, instead of a linear third person shooter with the flashlight.

Nope I prefer them to do something new too as the AW1 that we got was extremely sub par and very boring. Maybe the original version would have been better but they had their shot to sell me on the series and failed so hopefully they do something new.

DieH@rd

Banned
Just finished the original. Wtf at the ending ? DLC worth something ? are they epilogues are separate story line ?

DLC are continuing the story [1st one is very combat oriented, 2nd one has more story]. AA also continues the story.

S1kkZ

i just hope they dont turn alan wake into another generic, cover based bro shooter with coop.

alan wake 1 didnt sell very well, so they will probably change stuff in the sequel.

Dennis

Banned
The first Alan Wake had some good ideas but the gameplay got very repetitive.

And the separation into daylight non-action sequences followed by night action sequences could have been mixed up a lot better with more to day during the day including a little action and puzzles.

I enjoyed the DLC a lot: The Signal is good, The Writer is phenomenal.
They pick up right where the ending left off, but... things are different.

American Nightmare is fantastic as well: The combat still has the same solid core, but is much more varied. The story is pretty neat too; Mr. Scratch is what makes it.
The new tracks by the "Old Gods" are awesome as well.

Sethos

Banned
Wish they would go another direction, Remedy is better than this. AW was quite boring and the sales showed. The arcade off-springs didn't help much either.

Fjordson

Can't wait to see what they're doing next. If AW 2 is a next Xbox launch game, I'll be buying that shit day one.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
After the first encounters, I could predict almost every enemy that appeared. As well as other stuff. So I lost interest quite fast.

I don't even know what you mean with "predicting enemies". They jump at you at the most unexpected parts in the later chapters.

RPGCrazied

I should bite the bullet and get the first game on PC, I was waiting to see if it would ever be on PS3, but Remedy pretty much says no way would it ever be.

I love Remedy so this news interests me greatly.

I just hope that they skip the platform exclusivity nonsense.

Alan Wake ended up being a 360 exclusive, and here's the public reasoning made at that time:
"Some games are more suited for the intimacy of the PC, and others are best played from the couch in front of a larger TV screen. We ultimately realised that the most compelling way to experience "Alan Wake" was on the Xbox 360 platform, so we focused on making it an Xbox 360 exclusive. Both Microsoft and Remedy have long histories in PC game development. This decision was about matching this specific game to the right platform." said a Microsoft spokesperson.

Thankfully it came to PC later.

Looking forward to it. It took 2 tries to get into Alan Wake but I was completely pulled in on my second attempt. Let's just hope they can release the PC version out of the gate.

Sentenza

I love Remedy so this news interests me greatly.

I just hope that they skip the platform exclusivity nonsense.

Alan Wake ended up being a 360 exclusive, and here's the public reasoning made at that time:

Thankfully it came to PC later.

Actually, it originally started as a PC game and it was supposed to be the first game showing off what multicore processors were capable of.
Then Microsoft came in and moneyhatted the game into an Xbox exclusive.

Also, as I already said in my previous post, the game was originally described as a mix of open world survival+adventure game. Some sort of "Gabriel Knight 3 meets third person action games".
Then ambitions were vastly scaled down when they realized the hardware wasn't on par with their vision (but the PR statement was more like "We realized strong narrative needs more focus so now the game will be more linear").

S1kkZ

Looking forward to it. It took 2 tries to get into Alan Wake but I was completely pulled in on my second attempt. Let's just hope they can release the PC version out of the gate.

if its really a nextgen launch title, there wont be a pc version at the same time. but alan wake is remedys ip, so there will be a pc version later.

I would love Alan Wake 2. Loved the first one but i hope they don`t make it as crazy as the two download episodes. I really prefered the more grounded feel from the main game.

That being that, i would lose all my interest if this is a current gen game, but i think "finally" is a very clear indicator that they had to wait until next gen got the green light from MS.

I have my fingers crossed on new publisher. Microsoft really fucked Remedy and PC gamers up the ass with Alan Wake

Right, they fucked Remedy up the ass by sticking with them through the agonizingly long development process, funding a promo live action mini-series (only to be totally screwed when Rockstar decided to push the RDR release date forward), letting them release the game on PC not long after its initial Xbox 360 release, and making it a part of the holiday console bundle. Besides, Remedy themselves said that they couldn't handle multiple versions at the same time, being a small team, and the game wouldn't get even that much exposure (not to mention Micorosft's funding) by launching as a PC-only title. They stuck with Microsoft for American Nightmare, so it doesn't seem like they feel they've been "fucked up the ass" after all.

I'd buy a Durango this fall if Alan Wake 2 was a launch title for it. Alan Wake is a top 5 game of this gen for me <3

You know, being a huge Max Payne fan, I expected Alan Wake to be good, but I didn't expect it to be that good. GotG for me so far (granted, I still have plenty of current gen games to play).

Pooya

they better make something new instead, Alan Wake got ridiculous, don't care about it and the character itself isn't interesting. Mr. Scratch was actually good though. I very much prefer to see a new IP, seems to be a better idea for financial success for Remedy than a AW sequel could.

Of course having both would be best, problem is Remedy is/was? pretty small. They've been hiring this year and now are moving to a new bigger building, maybe they have two teams now.

Actually, it originally started as a PC game and it was supposed to be the first game showing off what multicore processors were capable of.
Then Microsoft came in and moneyhatted the game into an Xbox exclusive.

Also, as I already said in my previous post, the game was originally described as a mix of open world survival+adventure game. Some sort of "Gabriel Knight 3 meets third person action games".
Then ambitions were vastly scaled down when they realized the hardware wasn't on par with their vision (but the PR statement was more like "We realized strong narrative needs more focus so now the game will be more linear").

I know that it started out as a computer game (much like Halo!) before the moneyhats or whatever happened. I remember the tech demo videos showing off the multicore processor stuff. Didn't it feature a tornado or something?

S1kkZ

Right, they fucked Remedy up the ass by sticking with them through the agonizingly long development process, funding a promo live action mini-series (only to be totally screwed when Rockstar decided to push the RDR release date forward), letting them release the game on PC not long after its initial Xbox 360 release, and making it a part of the holiday console bundle. Besides, Remedy themselves said that they couldn't handle multiple versions at the same time, being a small team, and the game wouldn't get even that much exposure (not to mention Micorosft's funding) by launching as a PC-only title. They stuck with Microsoft for American Nightmare, so it doesn't seem like they feel they've been "fucked up the ass" after all.

people forget that only 20-25 people at remedy worked on alan wake 1 (plus the studio that handled the cutscenes). of course they couldnt handle 2 versions at the same time.

Top Bottom