• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake is right up there with Silent Hill 2 as an all time horror great!

Hostile_18

Banned
l0k7fkY.jpg

OqXJrqB.jpg

5XiQJwW.jpg

Alan Wake is right up there with Silent Hill 2 IMO as an all time classic horror title... for completely different reasons. While it's not as high concept as the latter its pure enjoyable Stephen King fun.. and at the end of the day isn't that the point of any game?

Playing this again it's as fun as the day I played it. I felt Control was a let down as a sequel to Alan Wake mainly because of the story and lack of varying environments. Theres something about good horror games that makes them more timeless than any other genre, maybe because there so few and far between.

The combat feels fun, the light mechanic is something that could really be expanded in a sequel. I LOVE the tv aspect and pacing really feels like your staring in your own tv show with none of the disadvantages of projects with similar goals. The collectables are awesome and really add to the experience. Playing on Nightmare with extra insights into events (played out in a none linear fashion) is a great incentive to replay.

There are three really good DLCs (one standalone) if you want more. Hopefully one day we will get a remaster and/or a sequel. If your a fan of horror games you owe it to yourself to play this game.

Anyone else with me? In retrospect does Alan Wake deserve to be held in such high regard? 😁

Ps Remedy give us a proper sequel. There's not a lake of fans.. there's an ocean!

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
I've played both recently. While I like the idea of Silent Hill 2 and the town and concept I feel the moment to moment gameplay is better in Alan Wake (both great games though).

If you love horror games, if you love Stephen King it will be one of the best games you've ever played in your life 😁

Ozrimandias

I was able a couple of months ago to buy a decent notebook so I could play some games that I had pending while I wait to buy a PS5. One of those games was Alan Wake, although the game DOES NOT measure up to Silent Hill 2 as a horror title, it is a very good game. A mix between Silent Hill, Stephen King, The Twilight Zone and Twin Peaks. Very good game, I want to continue playing the Remedy games including Quantum Break and then Control.

I loved playing Alan Wake and definitely think it deserves a proper sequel. Hopefully with Remedy owning the license and publishing rights again, we will see another entry in the future.

I do think the gameplay can get pretty tense during combat so it works pretty well as a survival horror title, in my opinion. The story and characters kept me going from start to finish and I think this is where Remedy Entertainment excel the most is in their writing. Also, the daytime environments looked gorgeous. This was an amazing looking game on PC at the time.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Alan wake is amazing. One of my favs but it's not scary at all

I don't think any horror game is truly scary for me, I think it's more about been immersed in the atmosphere that makes a horror game a horror game for me 😊.

Definitely prefer this style rather than the hide and seek style of many modern horror games.

Kokoloko85

Good especially controls are decent but u cant put it on the level of Silent Hill 2.
Dont think it was that well received from what I remember?

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
I liked Alan Wake but I think Silent Hill 2 nails the atmosphere & ambiance, it is really hard to top. I was a bit more engaged with SH2 as well. I remember Alan Wake losing me at some parts, but overall was a fun playthrough.

rofif

Banned
I don't think any horror game is truly scary for me, I think it's more about been immersed in the atmosphere that makes a horror game a horror game for me 😊.

Definitely prefer this style rather than the hide and seek style of many modern horror games.
Oh for sure hide and seek is just annoying.

Mahadev

I don't know about the state of the game now but when I finished it around the time it released it had one of the most pathetic endings in game history, it was later revealed that they did it to sell their fucking DLCs. Fuck Remedy for doing that shit.

Last edited:

Tiamat2san

The story of Alan wake is excellent.
I don’t usually play game on hard difficulty but I did it to have all the pages of the story.
Atmosphere was excellent.
I like silent hill 2 but I prefer the story of the first game.

while i love both games and beat them both, i feel like you can't compare them. is it equally as fun of a game to me, yes. but, Alan wake wasnt exactly scary to me and was less horror and more psychological thriller with some horror elements sprinkled in. Silent hill 2 is to me a horror game. with all that being said though, i agree Alan Wake is a master piece that deserves more people playing.

TheAssist

I seem to have the unpopular opinion that the story in this game is very boring and predictable, the characters are one note and uninteresting, the pacing is not meant for a game (the episodic format just doesnt fit game pacing) and the gameplay is super basic and repetitive.
The atmosphere can be great at times, but the game never clicked for me.

Its cool that so many people like the game, it just feels like I'm looking through the window and wonder ....why? :D

I seem to have the unpopular opinion that the story in this game is very boring and predictable, the characters are one note and uninteresting, the pacing is not meant for a game (the episodic format just doesnt fit game pacing) and the gameplay is super basic and repetitive.
The atmosphere can be great at times, but the game never clicked for me.

Its cool that so many people like the game, it just feels like I'm looking through the window and wonder ....why? :D
did you beat the game? i felt the same way when i first tried to play it and ended up quitting. after years of people hyping it i went back and finished it last year and truly fell in love after really digging in and getting past the first parts.

brian0057

Banned
I liked Alan Wake.
It's good, but not Silent Hill 2 good.

The objective Top 5 horror games of all time:
  1. Silent Hill 2.
  2. Resident Evil (2002 GameCube remake).
  3. System Shock 2.
  4. Alien: Isolation.
  5. The Shalebridge Craddle mission from Thief: Deadly Shadows.

Hostile_18

Banned
Before I replayed both I'd of absolutely said Silent Hill is better. But upon playing both back to back I just found I had so much more enjoyment for Alan Wake. The moment to moment gameplay of Silent Hill is going through alot of fairly bland rooms in 2021. I'm more excited about the rumoured reboot that can take the best elements (the town, the monsters, the story) and build it into a more fun/horrifying experience. It probably telling that I lean more into the action survival horror side of the genre.

Alan Wake I love the mystery, the setting. I love Stephen King, Twin Peaks, Lost etc it's all exactly up my street.

Both amazing games I think it's just which area we learn into more action vs psychological as to which one is the "better" game for any one person.

Holammer

It's a great game, but it could have been better if the game did not sign post enemies, it literally moves the camera [with slow motion] to show them coming. So there's little suspence.
My most terrifying experience was picking up batteries and ammo after a big fight when an enemy suddenly lunged at me with an axe. I believe it got stuck in geometry for awhile and unstuck as I thought the scripted evented ended. A pants wetting moment, but it was actually not intentional.

sinseers

Maybe I played a diffent SH2 then the rest of the world because I thought it wasn't very good at all. Matter of fact, I traded it in as soon as I closed it out and I don't do trade ins. This was the OG XBOX version.

Barakov

Gold Member
confused tony goldwyn GIF by HULU

Alan Wake is a fantastic game. It just doesn't have the same kind of melancholic dread that Silent Hill 2 has. Alan Wake has maybe a good jump scare here and there but noting beats
going down into the circular area where Pyramid Head is partolling.
JFC

Hostile_18

Banned
What doesn't make Alan Wake a horror game? I mean if "whether its scary" is the only barometer are games like Evil Within or Resident Evil 4 scary? I'd say it's much more than that, so in my eyes it's a horror game. The horror genre has quite a wide umbrella (no pun intended).

Last edited:

PooBone

l0k7fkY.jpg

OqXJrqB.jpg

5XiQJwW.jpg

Alan Wake is right up there with Silent Hill 2 IMO as an all time classic horror title... for completely different reasons. While it's not as high concept as the latter its pure enjoyable Stephen King fun.. and at the end of the day isn't that the point of any game?

Playing this again it's as fun as the day I played it. I felt Control was a let down as a sequel to Alan Wake mainly because of the story and lack of varying environments. Theres something about good horror games that makes them more timeless than any other genre, maybe because there so few and far between.

The combat feels fun, the light mechanic is something that could really be expanded in a sequel. I LOVE the tv aspect and pacing really feels like your staring in your own tv show with none of the disadvantages of projects with similar goals. The collectables are awesome and really add to the experience. Playing on Nightmare with extra insights into events (played out in a none linear fashion) is a great incentive to replay.

There are three really good DLCs (one standalone) if you want more. Hopefully one day we will get a remaster and/or a sequel. If your a fan of horror games you owe it to yourself to play this game.

Anyone else with me? In retrospect does Alan Wake deserve to be held in such high regard? 😁

Ps Remedy give us a proper sequel. There's not a lake of fans.. there's an ocean!
I had his game preordered for years when it finally released. It’s great and still fun, but I wouldn’t go as far as calling it equal to SH2.

Hostile_18

Banned
I liked the game very much, but never played the DLCs. May give it a try at some time.

It's been a long time since I played the DLCs but I remembered enjoying them alot. Think they are tied to my old account so if they go on sale again I'll get them (or just pay full price if they don't).

SEGA_2012

I got all the achievements, from the main game+DLC. I think the story and characters are good, but the combat and level design is a little annoying. Good game.

MiguelItUp

Hmm, as someone that adores Silent Hill 2, I don't agree with that opinion Mind you I haven't played a ton of Alan Wake, but I've played enough to justify that feeling.

I personally feel like they both contain completely different elements of horror, different vibes, etc. Both are very noticeable horror games though.

I just happen to feel like SH2 is light years ahead of AW, personally. My own full blown bias. 👀

DustQueen

Banned
I would not compare it to SH 2 due to the fact that they are very different in what they are going for, BUT Alan Wake is great n full of Remedy charm that was gone in Quantum Break n somewhat revived with Control.
Him finding pages foreshadowing later events is kinda brilliant as far as storytelling goes, plus the story nicely comes together by the end.
And it's aged really gracefuly.

Play it.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Hmm, as someone that adores Silent Hill 2, I don't agree with that opinion Mind you I haven't played a ton of Alan Wake, but I've played enough to justify that feeling.

I personally feel like they both contain completely different elements of horror, different vibes, etc. Both are very noticeable horror games though.

I just happen to feel like SH2 is light years ahead of AW, personally. My own full blown bias. 👀

Nothing wrong with that love a reasonable differing opinion rather than just a "YOUR WRONG" 😁

I'm currently working my way through the entire Silent Hill franchise on the Series X. Played 1-3 in 4k 60fps so far. Silent Hill 4 next, a game I have never played!

Top Bottom