• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake is right up there with Silent Hill 2 as an all time horror great!

Solarstrike

Superb game! Welp..gonna need to playthrough it again now. Thanks OP

Vanish Xbox One GIF by Xbox

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Damnit.
I knew I forgot one.
But for a Top 5, I have to make sacrifices. As such, my current list remains.
You know when horror fans old enough to have played these games around launch are asked:
Pick between Silent Hill 2 or Eternal Darkness......or die.

This is their response:
2d7.jpg

So it missing from your list is weird.

brian0057

Banned
You know when horror fans old enough to have played these games around launch are asked:
Pick between Silent Hill 2 or Eternal Darkness......or die.

This is their response:
2d7.jpg

So it missing from your list is weird.
I only played Eternal Darkness for the first time just a few years ago.
And I played Silent Hill 2 just a couple of years before that.
So I don't have that nostalgic feeling most have when playing those games. I was more of a Resident Evil and System Shock kind of guy.
And while Eternal Darkness has much better controls and voice acting, Silent Hill 2 is a scarier game.

MiguelItUp

Nothing wrong with that love a reasonable differing opinion rather than just a "YOUR WRONG" 😁

I'm currently working my way through the entire Silent Hill franchise on the Series X. Played 1-3 in 4k 60fps so far. Silent Hill 4 next, a game I have never played!
Haha, it's nice, eh? Lord knows I'm surprised when I get the same treatment, haha.

I'm excited for you! I love the whole series, but 2 is definitely my favorite. 4 is really cool too though! Excited for you experiencing all of them!

I really need to play all of Alan Wake.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I liked Alan Wake, but I don't think it really compares. Some great ideas for some of the mechanics, but they never really culminated into a moment that made me feel like I needed to put the game down because it was too tense. Other games in the horror genre have legit made me feel like I needed to take a break.

I was also really put off by the quality of writing which I found especially ironic since the main character is a renowned, successful author. Overall it came off a little campy, but not in an intentional way.

RPS37

So to get ready to play control for the first time with the next gen patch, Should I finish this on XSX or my laptop with a 2070? I own it on both.

CitizenZ

Banned
Why has Downpour(never played) been extinguished? Remember it being on the cover of a GI and it looked like a solid 3rd person game but died on release and never heard of again. Port that btch to PC please.

hmm....i still have this one in my xbox one BC collection, i purchased dirt cheap on kinguin long time ago. I'm a huge horror fan too. Damn this depression, making me apathetic to start games!

I love Alan Wake but as a horror game it's not even close to Silent Hill 2's twisted and sad world. Silent Hill's music is in it's own level. I don't remember being that scared playing AW but SH2 was/is scariest games I've played.

Both have taken a lot from Twin Peaks so they have that in common.

I wish I could play both on PS5.

NinjaBoiX

It’s an incredible game, I absolutely loved it. There was something about the way the camera swung and swayed that was super satisfying, it’s probably my favourite third person camera ever.

Control was shite, utterly tedious.

Kagey K

Banned
Is it bad that my favorite thing from the game was the Twilight Zone parodies?

I watched them all on the shitty tiny TVs in game.

Last edited:
Most underrated Remedy game imho, BUT ull have to play it episode style, like its meant to! I remember playing this game with a friend every friday like a tv show and it was the perfect way. trust me if u never played it and u plan to do it, please take ur time between each episode. Thank me later!

Mohonky

I’m guessing it’s on gamepass? Might give it a try. How has it aged?
It's fantastic.

Obviously being an Xbox360 title some aspects of the game can look a little dated but when you're in the forest and the trees are moving around and the shadows are dancing with them it still looks fantastic imo.

I thought the expansion was a bit so so compared to the first game, but it's still an incredibly solid game

Rickyiez

The biggest problem Alan Wake as a horror game is... Its has zero scariness and for that it shouldn't be compared to Silent Hill at all

Impotaku

i LOVED Alan wake, the whole game playing out like a tv show was quite unique at the time also loved finding those tvs with the parodies of twilight zone/outer limits playing on them i always stopped playing to watch them when i came across one. I found the shadow things unsettling, when the wind picked up while you are outside and you know they are coming from anywhere i found pretty unnerving you'd be frantically trying to look for light anywhere to get safe. Plus the whole aesthetic of the game enviroment was awesome mainly as i love the wilderness so that typical American mountain town stuff always looks great to me. You don't get that shit here in the UK, i'd love to live somewhere like that (minus the shadow things obviously lol)

Really wish they would remaster them as a bundle so i could replay them as i my poor 360 is knocking on a bit and my pc is too weak to play the gog version not that it stopped me buying them when they were on sale for a couple of quid to test if they would run.

Last edited:

VanEs

Fantastic game. Did another playthrough not that long ago. Great Twin Peaks/Twilight Zone atmosphere. Combat was fun for me.

Silent Hill 2 is just allright. Dunno why people are stanning so hard for that game/series.

Impotaku

Never got into silent hill back when that was out i was more of a biohazard kind of person, only played parts of the first sh game. Makes me wonder what i missed out on, probably too much of a hassle trying to get the games & running them now as i'm not prepared to buy retro consoles to play them.

BigLee74

Alan Wake was great, but it wasn’t overly scary. I suppose it could get a little creepy in the foggy woods at night, but the fact that I managed to complete it tells you all you need to know.

For reference, I could only play Dead Space during the day, and when the family was in the house 😂

sircaw

Banned
I did enjoy the game when I first played it, the setting, narrative, etc was really good. However i felt it got rather repetitive in gameplay towards the end, i feel it needed something extra in it to make it really sing.

The dlc was just terrible imo, i hope they can come up with extra mechanics for it if they ever make another one.

As for a horror game, hmm, i must admit i never found it very scary, looking at Biglee post above i felt kinda the same about dead space, there were moments in it that caught me of guard and gave me a fright or had somehow managed to build apprehension in me. alan wake never did that to me.

Impotaku

I did like how it wasn't just the shadows that came to attack you but also it could possess the environment too and have huge things been flung at you. Been outside driving and the sun slowly going down and trying to get back to the safety before darkness came was tense, finding any light was like a mini oasis and then the dread as the damn bulb goes and you are left trying to dodge your way to the next point of light to keep them at bay.

VulcanRaven

Alan Wake is a great game but I don't think it was that scary. The enemies didn't scare you very often because the game showed that they were coming.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

I am a scaredy-cat who turns on the lights at night to go to the bathroom and I was shitting myself during the Silent Hill trilogy. Alan Wake is absolutely not scary at all, it is a run of the mill 3rd person shooter. Shine light -> shoot -> repeat forever. It is such a mind-numbing game, I finished it and I felt nothing, just kind of glad it was over. I never ever felt the urge to replay it.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
If I am remembering this game correctly didn't the screen do something weird and the music changed every time you can across enemies? Then it changed into more of a combat arena type of thing? I liked the game, but don't really remember it really being scary of tense. The combat felt really repetitive towards the end.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
There are a few games that ain‘t perfect but have something extremely special about them that make me revisit them regularly. Alan Wake is one of those. The oozing atmosphere that sucks me in every time... this feeling is only matched by Mass Effect.

So while I‘d easily say that SH2 is the better game, Alan Wake is more special to me personally.

sublimit

Banned
No it's not.

I played Alan Wake together with a friend who loved the game and he had played it many times.I played it on his super-duper gaming laptop and he helped me with some story bits without spoiling the story for me.We took turns until we beat it and then played the DLCs as well.
I found the game very overrated tbh (to my friend's disappointment) and the story very pretendious and convoluted. It felt like a child's effort to copy Twin Peaks without really knowing why and how to do it. Uninspiring characters and very repetitive gameplay. Honestly if i hadn't played it together with my friend i would have probably dropped it after 2-3 hours.Also the gameplay and difficulty spikes felt unbalanced and unfair sometimes.
And like others said it's not even a horror game and more like a mystery/thriller.

To even compare it with the best psychological horor game (and one of the best games ever in general) is a huge insult to Silent Hill 2.

Last edited:
Top Bottom