• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake Remaster leaked, launches on October 5, 2021 for Xbox, PS4, and PS5 (Up: Confirmed)

ShadowNate

PS: oh yeah, and the cutscenes are encoded at 30 fps (with stuttering) at a really low quality. Lots of artifacts from low bandwidth
Wait, since they changed Alan Wake's model (the face at least) why not rerecord and encode the cutscene videos in higher frame rate? Or even better make them real-time game cutscenes this time?

Hugare

Wait, since they changed Alan Wake's model (the face at least) why not rerecord and encode the cutscene videos in higher frame rate? Or even better make them real-time game cutscenes this time?
I honestly dont know.

Probably to avoid frame drops. Which is ironic, since it stutters like crazy.

Go figure

Last edited:

nowhat

So the gameplay can look very nice (PS5 here). Sure, some of the textures can look bad if you really want to be anal about it, but on the whole, no complaints.

The cutscenes however. LOL. They are bad. The lip sync may have been improved, no way of verifying that myself (no longer have the 360 I played this on), but really. I guess it works with the B-movie narrative - still, a game shouldn't have you laughing out loud for all the wrong reasons.

Fake

wait it isn’t even 4K?

Is even a Series X/PS5 version? Many devs are making shit PR saying the game have a next gen version, but in fact they just running via BC with some patches, aka, force brute.

Crysis Remastered follow the same route.

HotPocket69

Banned
Aside from the jarring framerate difference and weird lip synching during at least the intro cutscenes, everything else is fantastic so far on the PS5. The trigger pull feel with the guns and flashlight is really good and it looks fucking great.

“Too detailed” 🤣🤣🤣

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
6ptlTsp.gif
200.gif

Rob_27

Playing on Series X. Thought I had booted the 360 version. Looks OK. Glad I paid £6 for it. But have always liked this game. Never finished it. Better crack on before metroid is out.

RafterXL

My biggest complaints are the shoddy cutscenes, the voices during gameplay being significantly lower than other sounds, and a bug that causes the camera to keep switching between shoulders for no reason whatsoever. I'm waiting for a patch for that last one alone.

Concern

Going off impressions here, sounds like they did a shit job for a cash grab. Only interested in them doing a sequel but not looking likely going off reception.

HotPocket69

Banned
This remaster may be being used to gauge in how interested people are in the Alan Wake IP or to help fund the sequel. In any case it does nobody any good if it does crappy sales wise. Unfortunately the devs did a hack job, and this remaster is probably going to sell poorly.

Nah it’ll be fine. It’s got good scores on MC and OC and most common idiots follow that. A lot of well known YTers didnt shit on it either.

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky
This is such a bad game. The writing, the “ambience”, the execution. Never played the original but a lot of it must be the same.
Why the hell did this game get raved about so much???

bender

What time is it?
This is such a bad game. The writing, the “ambience”, the execution. Never played the original but a lot of it must be the same.
Why the hell did this game get raved about so much???

Add a touch of people clinging to the idea that Remedy still made great titles, a dash of it being an Xbox exclusive, and a sprinkle of cultural references to Twin Peaks and you get an overenthusiastic reception to an exceedingly average game. At least Barry was cool.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

It's not 4K ? Will stick to 360 BC version. How's PS5 version?
It's meant to be.

In this award-winning action-thriller, remastered in 4K, troubled author Alan Wake is on a desperate search for his missing wife. A horror story he has supposedly written is coming true, and his grip on reality is threatened as he confronts a hostile presence. The tense, episodic story is packed with twists, cliff hangers, and intense combat, where it takes more than bullets to banish the darkness.

Alan Wake Remastered offers the complete experience, with the main game and its two story expansions - The Signal and The Writer - in stunning new 4K visuals.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Then what is it? The PC version does not do this, nor does the 360 version, so it's either not intended or they changed it specifically for this release.
Are you saying the original didn't have shoulder switch?
I wouldn't know as I never played the original.
I do know you push R3(or L3) on PS5 to switch shoulders

RafterXL

Are you saying the original didn't have shoulder switch?
I wouldn't know as I never played the original.
I do know you push R3(or L3) on PS5 to switch shoulders
No, they have shoulder swap, but you have to actually press a button. On the XSX it literally swaps randomly for no reason.

I mean, it's a bug, it's too stupid and random to be intentional, I just hope they patch it.

ShadowNate

Remedy alienated a lot of their fans back when they abruptly switched to Xbox exclusivity for, heh, Alan Wake's original release, with some bad PR statements that made things worse.

It was unavoidable as I think AW was in development hell and/or almost ruined them financially, but then they kept going with the Microsoft exclusivities (maybe part of the original deal?) and for a while still they seemed to barely be doing ok or again be on the verge of bankruptcy. Didn't they do that Humble Bundle for AW where they practically begged people to buy it to support them or something?

They may have gained some of their fan base back, and personally I am still a (reluctant) fan, but it's clear (from the Epic deal too) that they are not able to self-publish or stand on their own.

I guess the remaster, as it's typically the case with most remasters, is a re-release with a bare minimum amount of work, to get some extra funds for the next title. They cannot afford to put significant effort (hence resources, time and money) into it and no publisher would really support that with a sufficient budget.

They also may want the "first" one to already be available on every modern platform when they'll be releasing the second one.

Probably also an interest check for the series, although I'm not sure how reliable that is, considering most people who were interested in it would have already purchased it for filthy cheap or even got it as a freebie.

Everyone in here is saying the resolution is 1440p on ps5/x but according to the devs it's using temporal upscaling to 2160p. Shouldn't that make for a better looking image than if it was native 1440p? I think that Elianasbits analysis is throwing people off by just stating "it's 1440p on ps5/sx"

thatJohann

I’m enjoying it more than I expected but mostly the story and its Stephen king type writing angle; not digging the wonk so much. I hate when games make you get tired after sprinting for a couple of seconds then your character just walks killing away the immersion. I’m being followed, of course I would still run even if I was tired!

HotPocket69

Banned
No, they have shoulder swap, but you have to actually press a button. On the XSX it literally swaps randomly for no reason.

I mean, it's a bug, it's too stupid and random to be intentional, I just hope they patch it.

It’s not random or a bug, dummy, it switches whenever you rotate the camera left and right. It’s just a weird design decision and they’ll NEVER patch it. That’s like expecting them to patch the sprinting.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I swear the 360 version looks the best, outside of the obvious resolution differences.

Its one of those few games where the fog works. It seems those effects are gone from the remaster in the nighttime comparisons. Other than that the remaster is much more detailed and ofcourse plays better at 60fps.

Hugare

It’s not random or a bug, dummy, it switches whenever you rotate the camera left and right. It’s just a weird design decision and they’ll NEVER patch it. That’s like expecting them to patch the sprinting.
It wasnt there in the original. I've played the original 5 times on PC and 360.

On the website they have explicitly said that they werent making any changes to gameplay

Considering the track record from these devs, its safe to say that its probably a bug

Dont know why you are so defensive about this remaster. Do you work at d3t or something?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

Right, definitely a bug on Xbox then because this doesn't happen on the PS5 version.
Btw is there no OT for this?
I'm actually really enjoying this.

Top Bottom