• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake - The First 12 Minutes (German)

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I personally consider myself to be a graphics whore, but sheeesh pixelcounting takes the fun out of being one....

clashfan said:
I think you have crossed over to insanity. :lol

?? Its more than a 50% increase in resolution. By all metric, that's a significant increase.

rainking187 said:
Jesus, I think this thread needs to be split like the Metro 2033 one was.

I'm only responding to inaccuracies and personal attacks. People feel the need to post stupid shit, then i'm going to call them on it.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Qwerty710710 said:
He's just a troll who is probably a ps3 fanboy or a bitter pc fan. Ignore this goon. Wow so much shit for resolution Jesus Christ I wonder if you people have girlfriends.
he's not a troll, he's just very interested in tech. even as a console only gamer i like his posts because there's no bias, just tech facts. i guess when the facts put your hyped game/system of choice in a negative light you're going to see it as trolling though.

Klocker

I have been saying for a couple years now, I'd take 480p (or 540) any day of the week with 4xAA and cranking up all the other graphical elements as it appears AW is doing to give me the finished look of an immersible experience.

hell COD looks great to me at 600p partly because of the other elements and the choice of 60fps.

so as far as trade offs go, I'll take this one

Dabanton

rainking187 said:
Jesus, I think this thread needs to be split like the Metro 2033 one was.

That would actually be preferable then the tech heads among us can discuss resolutions and all that other stuff to their hearts content.

Though i have a strange feeling with not much of an audience to grandstand too they'll be back in the story thread sooner rather than later.

ShogunX

Aigis said:
he's not a troll, he's just very interested in tech. even as a console only gamer i like his posts because there's no bias, just tech facts. i guess when the facts put your hyped game/system of choice in a negative light you're going to see it as trolling though.

:lol What a load of utter bullshit. Everybody has a bias to one platform or another and its glaringly obvious that brain_stew is bias towards the PC. This has nothing to do with his posts in this thread either.

SamuraiX-

And why do you just choose to ignore posts like this one, brain_stew?

nilam01 said:
I'm glad they finally gave us an answer. So the game is rendered subHD to facilitate all the various layers of postprocessing, which is fine by me. Light, darkness and mood play a key role in the gameplay so the game would fall into pieces if it didn't have all the postprocessing. An example of that would be this

No postprocessing

Watch-Alan-Wakes-Look-Evolve-.jpg

Various layers of PP included

Watch-Alan-Wakes-Look-Evolve-.jpg

If the game is at a standard 540p resolution and buffered to a 720p resolution in order to incorporate the post-processing visuals, why is that such a crime? The game's main goal is to provide a dark, misty, psychologically immersive atmosphere, not to leave you in awe with its clean cut, super sharp texture modeling.

And you really need to stop beating a dead horse with this whole "Remedy deceived their fans" conspiracy bullshit. By the time the game comes out, who the fuck is gonna know or care? People will enjoy the game for what it is, as they were in this topic before you graphics whoring pixel counters came in here and started criticizing all the still-image captures that do complete injustice to the game when it's in motion.

Shogun PaiN said:
:lol What a load of utter bullshit. Everybody has a bias to one platform or another and its glaringly obvious that brain_stew is bias towards the PC. This has nothing to do with his posts in this thread either.

true, i own them all also, but im biased towards pc because it usually offers mods etc, if I had a 100 friends friend list and all I played was live id be biased to 360 releases also. Its shitty it isn't on pc, but this is really the final last stand of "Exclusive" nowadays, which for financial reasons 3rd parties just dont do anymore like they did in the ps1/ps2 gens especially. As far as pixel counting goes, eh if the game is fun its fun, try as I might i cannot stand to play crysis and I can run it on high settings at 1080p 30-60 (mostly near 30) fps, sure it looks good but its game play just doesn't do it for me, and on the other hand I've probably spend 100 hours playing an ASCII game dwarf fortress. :lol

SamuraiX-

brain_stew said:
Because its irrelevant. Every modern game uses all manner of post effects, its hardly anything new or unique.

And can you show me those that are at a native 720p or 1080p resolution? And possibly include what type of PP effects they used for the game?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
zoukka said:
I miss old-school fanboys who didn't even know what resolution meant.

did somebody say blast processing?

Well, let me tell you about blast processing...

JaggedSac

brain_stew said:
Because its irrelevant. Every modern game uses all manner of post effects, its hardly anything new or unique.

How is it irrelevant? Remedy obviously had a choice, go with a higher resolution, but lose some of the cool post processing that add atmosphere, or lose some of the cool post processing and go with a sharper image.

They probably looked at both, and determined which would look better. Unfortunately for us, we will never see the tests that they ran on the 360 with the game running at 720p. We will never get to visually understand that they made the choice that resulted in a better image and better experience.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
SamuraiX- said:
And can you show me those that are at a native 720p or 1080p resolution? And possibly include what type of PP effects they used for the game?

You can't think of one game that has post processing and runs at 720p?

brain_stew said:
How is it irrelevant? If the end game looks awesome, why does the fucking resolution matter?

Dax01 said:
How is it irrelevant? If the end game looks awesome, why does the fucking resolution matter?

Because! ... everybody is concerned. It's a very scary thing if you (don't) know the game doesn't run in 720p, you know?

SamuraiX- said:

Pick any modern PS3/360/PC game off your shelf, and you'll have a better than 50% chance that its native 720p (or better) and uses numerous post effects.

I'm done with this thread now, too much ignorance and defiance. Its like arguing with a Tory spin doctor.

obviously the game was designed originally on a pc, which video card probably had more ram than the entire 360 system, when they switched to the 360 only, some cuts were made to fit it on the hardware, maybe they didn't want to redo everything tech wise, maybe they need to get it out faster, maybe they are too small a house to go all "killzone" on the tech side of the engine for the 360, oh well, its better to play a 540p fun game than a 1080p shit-fest.

SamuraiX-

_tetsuo_ said:
You can't think of one game that has post processing and runs at 720p?

The main idea I have for this is to compare the quality of PP effects used in Alan Wake with that of those used in other games initially rendered at high resolutions. It's not that I can't think of any, it's just than none are coming to mind that possess the same quality of PP effects that generate such an incredible atmosphere like that of Alan Wake.

GreekWolf

Truant said:
Yeah, Remedy really shot themselves in the foot.
I'm an expert in 540p culture.

BTW, regardless of my disappointment with Remedy, I have no other choice but to pick this game up at some point. Alan Wake still looks incredible in motion, and (from the various gameplay segments I've seen) promises to be the best survival horror game this gen. Gotta have it.

zoukka

brain_stew said:
Pick any modern PS3/360/PC game off your shelf, and you'll have a better than 50% chance that its native 720p (or better) and uses numerous post effects.

I'm done with this thread now, too much ignorance and defiance. Its like arguing with a Tory spin doctor.

Sorry, what was your argument again?

SamuraiX-

GreekWolf said:
I'm an expert in 540p culture.

BTW, regardless of my disappointment with Remedy, I have no other choice but to pick this game up at some point. Alan Wake still looks incredible in motion, and (from the various gameplay segments I've seen) promises to be the best psychological thriller game this gen. Gotta have it.

Fixed. :D

WJD said:
Good lord this thread is pathetic.
Yes, yes it is.

It's particularly pathetic because brain_stew is one of the guys on the forum who has a real technical understanding of these games, and people usually get behind him and take his word for it.
However, now that he speaks on a 360 game, he's branded a heathen.

It's hysterical.

EDIT: Oh, and Dax "You don't even have a 360!" 01... that's rich. I seem to remember you getting temp banned for trolling Uncharted 2 before it came out. Get the fuck outta here. :lol

Another cheap holiday in other people's misery. What makes this hilarious is that 5 years ago, before launch, Microsoft said all Xbox 360 games will run at 720p resolution with AA. Xbox fans ran wild claiming that PS3 was completely broken and could run games only at SD resolutions and even then with no AA at all, Halo 3 on the other hand would run at 720p with 4x AA and push graphics better than anything PS3 would ever achieve.

Yet now, over 4 years after launch, the biggest Xbox 360 exclusive people have waited years for runs at 60% of the resolution Microsoft promised as standard for all games. Watching fanboys eat crow is always hilarious, even if it is a bit sad that Alan Wake seems like a promising game and probably doesn't deserve this shit, but I'm still laughing because I'm a bastard.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Absolute Bastard said:
Another cheap holiday in other people's misery. What makes this hilarious is that 5 years ago, before launch, Microsoft said all Xbox 360 games will run at 720p resolution with AA. Xbox fans ran wild claiming that PS3 was completely broken and could run games only at SD resolutions and even then with no AA at all, Halo 3 on the other hand would run at 720p with 4x AA and push graphics better than anything PS3 would ever achieve.

Yet now, over 4 years after launch, the biggest Xbox 360 exclusive people have waited years for runs at 60% of the resolution Microsoft promised as standard for all games. Watching fanboys eat crow is always hilarious, even if it is a bit sad that Alan Wake seems like a promising game and probably doesn't deserve this shit, but I'm still laughing because I'm a bastard.

So we're now back to just making shit up and trolling?

I think this thread is done. At least we got it all out the way before the official thread.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Qwerty710710 said:
He's just a troll who is probably a ps3 fanboy or a bitter pc fan. Ignore this goon. Wow so much shit for resolution Jesus Christ I wonder if you people have girlfriends.
You guys are misunderstanding brain_stew.

Rad- said:
This is probably the saddest gaming thread I've seen on Gaf. Honestly.
Hits home when a game you're anticipating is getting scrutized.

Pooya

Rad- said:
This is probably the saddest gaming thread I've seen on Gaf. Honestly.
you obviously haven't seen some of the comparison threads for multiplat games. 100+ pages of running in circles.

Revolutionary said:
EDIT: Oh, and Dax "You don't even have a 360!" 01... that's rich. I seem to remember you getting temp banned for trolling Uncharted 2 before it came out. Get the fuck outta here. :lol
That's because I honestly thought that.

Honestly, there are quite a few people who are supposedly judging the game for its technical (de)merits, but only talk about resolution. There are so many factors involved in making a game look good that restricting the discussion to a single parameter is just silly.

If you want to appear knowledgeable, you better talk about texture filtering, lighting techniques, postprocessing, shading, etc. That's, of course, excluding art, which is just as important as the rendering engine.

sinny

Banned
The problem is that technical discussions on a pc thread are great and everyone enjoy them, brain stew is not attacking the xbox , he is pointing things that usually won't have this kind of reaction.

miladesn said:
you obviously haven't seen some of the comparison threads for multiplat games. 100+ pages of running in circles.

lherre said:
This, some people must be in another paralel gaf.

"Hey guys, it seems that people have noticed that we are ruining this thread by trolling the shit out of this game, let's pretend it's no big deal and that it happened often in other threads !"

Banned
brain_stew said:

:lol

SamuraiX-

The reason for the backlash is because brain_stew basically has higher standards than most of us in terms of his video gaming, as he's stated multiple times. This, obviously, can't be changed and no presentation of images or videos will convince him otherwise.

One of his main arguments was that most people who shelled out for for an HDTV are cheating themselves because they're allowing Remedy to hustle them. I think I can speak for most of us here when I say that we all bought an HDTV not just for video games. Whether it was the primary or secondary reason could hold some weight to his argument, but his assumption was that everyone plays video games and doesn't watch TV or movies on their televisions.

I honestly never anticipated Alan Wake to be of superb quality in any department. This was particularly because it was in development for six years and all that usually tells me is they most likely had technical issues with the game and had to scrap their original goals in terms of presentation and performance. This is why I believed that most people who have been anticipating the game will still buy it and enjoy it, because they were anticipating for other reasons than crisp/sharp textures and modelling and possibly understand why they're not getting everything they were originally promised in the game.

We just can't change the standards and expectations of other people, and we should have never tried to in the first place.

sflufan

Banned
I think you all should be FAR more concerned about the ACTUAL GAMEPLAY that was shown as opposed to whatever resolution the game's rendered in.

sinny said:
The problem is that technical discussions on a pc thread are great and everyone enjoy them, brain stew is not attacking the xbox , he is pointing things that usually won't have this kind of reaction.

In my book, saying that the game is 540p (or 547) is simply stating a fact, and quite an interesting one for many people like me who are interested in the technical aspect of games.

The problem is, as some have done in this thread, criticising the game or its visuals based on that single fact, especially after that game had been constantly lauded in that regard before the resolution info was revealed.

lherre

Accurate
Trunchisholm said:
Honestly, there are quite a few people who are supposedly judging the game for its technical (de)merits, but only talk about resolution. There are so many factors involved in making a game look good that restricting the discussion to a single parameter is just silly.

If you want to appear knowledgeable, you better talk about texture filtering, lighting techniques, postprocessing, shading, etc. That's, of course, excluding art, which is just as important as the rendering engine.

Obviously, I think AW is impressive. All the PP and lightning engine (and the scale) is amazing.

But this can't be an excuse for the poor resolution. Then all the other games that runs at higher resolution could be impressive too if they were 480p for example (i'm exagerating).

But I don't understand why remedy is denying the thing, I think is better to tell the truth and stop all this nonsense than still continuing not telling the truth..

Amir0x

Banned
You guys need to move on if the technical discussion annoys you so much. It's a legitimate point of discussion and a great disappointment for some, including myself who literally purchased a 360 for Alan Wake.

But, that's not to say we have to waste 30 pages talking about it and only it. The thread always gets ruined because people seem to have thread tunnel vision where they always gotta focus on the one guy being negative as if it's an affront to humanity and their preferences. We can have multiple conversations carrying on at once! :lol

If you feel "pixel counting" is pathetic, then you should probably not waste your time talking about it. There's a billion other legitimate Alan Wake topics that can thrive from these videos!

Others will feel inclined to discuss the revelation that this game is not 720p, because it impacts the game they are going to buy. As someone who is going to buy this game, I think we have a right to discuss this and express our disappointment. But don't let that stop you from talking about how rad you think the atmosphere is (it is rad!) or how good you think the gameplay will be (it looks super sweet!)

Sflufan said:
I think you all should be FAR more concerned about the ACTUAL GAMEPLAY that was shown as opposed to whatever resolution the game's rendered in.

The gameplay looks good and doesn't concern me too much. But visuals matter! And so the resolution does concern me.

Proelite

When Alan Wake wins GOTY (highly possible IMO), this thread will be funny in retrospect. However, it might not because the judges will be like "Not HD", AMRITE?

Amir0x

Banned
Proelite said:
When Alan Wake wins GOTY (highly possible IMO), this thread will be funny in retrospect.

Why would it be funny? Is anyone expressing disappointment over the resolution suggesting that the game will be bad?

No, it's just a mark against it. We were led to believe something else, and now we'll have to deal with blur blur sub-HD resolution. It's just one mark against the game, when there are plenty of other marks for it.

ShogunX

Absolute Bastard said:

By far one of the worst posts Ive ever had the pleasure of reading on GAF. It really is the kind of post I expect to see on a Youtube video and the ending statement of ''Because I'm a Bastard'' is all sorts of cringe worthy.

Top Bottom