• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake Trailer is Almost here!!! Let's Get in Here and all wait together!!!

Hesemonni

Banned
Some tidbits from Pelit.fi forum (Pelit was the magazine which gave away the tickets to the screening):

"The trailer was the highlight of the movie"

"Short and epic. A bit similar to the new WotLK trailer"

"Reminded me of Twin Peaks. Atmosphere and visuals wise it was ok."

MidiSurf

Banned
There is some impressions of the trailer in pelit.fi forums but I can't get in 'cos I don't have account :(

Fingaffers with account please share the pelit.fi impressions !

Hesemonni

Banned
soco said:
only ok now? incoming disappointmentton!
He did add that it raised his expectations for the game! So I guess it was finnish "ok", equivalent of "OMGGGGG MEGATON WTFFF BANANASSSS" by NeoGAF standards.

Dunno :)

soco

Hesemonni said:
He did add that it raised his expectations for the game! So I guess it was finnish "ok", equivalent of "OMGGGGG MEGATON WTFFF BANANASSSS" by NeoGAF standards.

oh no! it's the ok-tranlated-confusal-ton! :D

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
cjelly said:
If this has QTE's I'm going to kill someone.
As long as they aren't used in place of what should be actual gameplay who really gives a shit? It's not like there's any gameplay in the cut-scenes anyway.

Nolan.

Hesemonni said:

Makes me wonder what a fin means when he says awesome :O haha still though I want to see it.

-SD-

Banned
tegdf said:
when the fuck is the trailer gonna hit the web!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! come on Remedy
It's now doing its rounds in theaters. I think it's not going to have a official web release very soon.

HiResDes

Dever said:
So a Finnish film critic has said in his Max Payne review that he's rather watch a Boll movie. Who's going to take one for the team? I was going to go watch it but I'm going away for the weekend.

edit: forgot link: http://www.suomenkuvalehti.fi/blogit/kuvien-takaa/arvio-max-payne.aspx
When I saw that they had cast Marky Mark, and Jackie (Mila Kunis) from that 70s show as leads I already knew what to expect from the film...Now if they had given me some Aaron Eckhart maybe I'd put up with a less than stellar script. Not to mention the added Christian theme, they might of hired Keanu Reeves, and called this badboy Constantine 2...Though I'm sure that movie would have been slightly better.

HiResDes said:
When I saw that they had cast Marky Mark, and Jackie (Mila Kunis) from that 70s show as leads I already knew what to expect from the film...Now if they had given me some Aaron Eckhart maybe I'd put up with a less than stellar script. Not to mention the added Christian theme, they might of hired Keanu Reeves, and called this badboy Constantine 2...Though I'm sure that movie would have been slightly better.

Christian theme?

Manager

Info from the AlanWake forums:
http://www.alanwake.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1775&page=4

To clear things up.. Today was was a screening for few people - guests only. Tomorrow is the premiere for big audiences.

My friend went to see Max Payne and he saw the trailer a few hours ago. Here are his comments about it:
Full of atmosphere even on sad SD resolution accompanied with a wimpy sound mix.

The scene with the now legendary red winter-coat dude was very captivating, as was the ending's brooding imagery with Mr. Wake surrounded by tall standing human shadows.

The face of the diner's waitress took us back to the reality of video games, but the overall moody intensity of the trailer prevailed these minor setbacks.

Pelit-magazine had a special preview today where the trailer was shown, sadly only I hear in DVD video format as the theatre did not have HD capable systems for these kind of special showings. It's not like we had time to put it to 35mm film...

Some weird stuff:
Ok...So i digged info about the trailer. The only thing i've so far found about the trailer, that in the end of the trailer. There are things with axes and stuff... So people say...

Same guy says:
Oh and the info i posted is pretty much true because the people are posting about the trailer all over the net...

Kevin

I guess Remedy has to make a big deal about releasing a simple trailer for a game they have been working on for many years now. Just release the trailer already! :lol

Manager

Kevin said:
I guess Remedy has to make a big deal about releasing a simple trailer for a game they have been working on for many years now. Just release the trailer already! :lol

Yeah, and what I don't get is that:
Tomorrow, it's going to be shown in the MP advance movie showings in the following theatres (hopefully, not up to Remedy): Tampere Plevna, Helsinki Tennispalatsi, Turku Kinopalatsi , Lahti Kuvapalatsi, Oulu Plaza.

That's (maximum) five cinemas! And many of them probably in the same city. That can't bring them much extra money either, with so few cinemas. Sure, they have fans, but the Alan Wake forums aren't exactly very active.

Kevin said:
Just release the trailer already!

Uncle

Manager said:
Yeah, and what I don't get is that:

That's (maximum) five cinemas! And many of them probably in the same city. That can't bring them much extra money either, with so few cinemas.

Actually those are all in different cities (and the names of the cities are there too :p), and most of them will show it on multiple screens. Also I don't think that Remedy gets money from this.

Keio

For a Finer World
Went to a screening, no trailer shown as apparently the movie theatre has a "no advertising in invite-only events" policy.

Max Payne? Straight-to-video.

Cringe-worthy stuff. At least the writing in the games was purposefully genre-conscious.

Keio said:
Went to a screening, no trailer shown as apparently the movie theatre has a "no advertising in invite-only events" policy.

Max Payne? Straight-to-video.

Cringe-worthy stuff. At least the writing in the games was purposefully genre-conscious.
Was Mila Kunis yummy in it?

*unzips jeans*

Keio

For a Finer World
Thunder Monkey said:
Was Mila Kunis yummy in it?

*unzips jeans*
I guess there were three Wed screenings and in only one people got to see the trailer. Others were just left with Max Payne.

Russian ladies and nostalgy were the only redeeming features of the film.

So people have reported seeing the trailer, but haven't posted any impressions?

God I hate the internet sometimes.

Why would remedy choose this as the venue for the game's reveal? Its like unveiling a Halo game in Japan.

Sean

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:
Why would remedy choose this as the venue for the game's reveal? Its like unveiling a Halo game in Japan.

It's not meant to be some kind of huge event. IIRC the Remedy guy even said in that interview that it was a spur of the moment type thing.. they probably just thought it'd be a cool little treat for their fans.

Uncle

Sean said:
It's not meant to be some kind of huge event. IIRC the Remedy guy even said in that interview that it was a spur of the moment type thing.. they probably just thought it'd be a cool little treat for their fans.

Yeah. He said that if there had not been a Max Payne movie coming out, they wouldn't have made this trailer.

Manager

Now confirmed that it will hit the net *soon*:
This isn't something that was put on by Fox, it was Remedy's doing (and not even Microsoft's) and they felt it would be cool to see the trailer up before the premiere in Finland. Of course they couldn't really get it going worldwide.

But be patient, you'll see the trailer soon.

http://www.alanwake.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1775&page=4

Sho_Nuff82 said:

Only a very few select people have seen it on the pre-screenings yesterday, the movie goes up publicly tonight. Seems like first screenings are in around 4-5 hours, and since the movie is like 2 hours long, we shouldn't get any cam footage or impressions until like 8 hours. If not some hero goes in, records the trailer and then leaves the theatre.

HiResDes

Sho_Nuff82 said:

You know a developer hasn't shown enough of a game, when you are sitting in a thread waiting for someone to post impressions of a trailer.:lol ...I mean seriously how crazy does that sound.

Manager

omg them Finnish people, this is so frustrating

http://www.alanwake.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1775&page=5

The trailer was...confusing. Hard to follow. Didn't really get too much out of it.

Looked pretty good, but that was to be expected.

Awesome impressions!

Also:
So, can they who have watched the movie descripe something about the trailer? How long is it? Is Wake speaking in the trailer? Is there speaking at all? I heard that the trailer was only 30s long. True?

Manager

Finally some decent impressions, from the Alan Wake thread above:
I was quite impressed by the trailer. As expected, the game looks amazing.

I think there was a decent amount of dialog in there, but it was mostly muttering I couldn't make out. In fact, most of the teaser was fairly fuzzy. It didn't establish a storyline but showed off the visuals. If you're expecting some big revelation about the story, you'll be disappointed.

I see people want to hear specific details, so here's a couple I can remember: 1) There's a diner called Triple D's Diner, and the waitress is Alan's biggest fan. Her words. 2) In the end, you can see the obscure creatures haunting Alan. They're still pretty obscure. 3) You can also hear a woman's voice saying, "Alan. Wake up." I'm assuming the voice belongs to Alan's girlfriend.

Couldn't tell you how long the trailer was. I was in cloud nine at the time.

Manager

Nothing yet. Even the Remedy staff on the forums say they are surprised.

Here's finally some real impressions and details of the trailer, now we just need to see the video itself.

I was at a sneak preview yesterday and I think the trailer was awesome, easily the best trailer on AW so far. Sure there was plenty of quick montages in it, but I think it was moody.

There was this this guy, that is seen in the background of new screencap, talking to mr. Wake about townspeople and how there is something peculiar about them. There was also waitress in the coffee shop that was fan of AW, as mentioned in earlier post. There was also scene that, I think, Alans fiancé appears from the light saying something to him. There was also nice zoomscenes that went through murky forests to the place where Alan was trying to survive in the darkness. If I remember correctly there was also this "watch out, behind you!!" scene. It all went so quickly, though there was all kinds of stuff. Anyways not the gameplay as such if I understood correctly. Music was inspirational, I liked it. It me reminded me somewhat of the music that was in the first trailer. Near the end there was a scene, that was shot from the perspective of somebody lurking in the forest for Alan Wake. AW was scanning here and there with a flashlight.

All in all the trailer left me with an impression of a game that is developed talently and thoroughly. It certainly didn't lower my expectations. I can't say were the graphics top-notch or not, but they were definitely good looking enough. I think AW has moved to the next level since last display.
From the Alan Wake forums above.

Top Bottom