• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Albion Online |OT| Craft. Trade. Conquer.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Can I get an invite to the GAF guild? Name is Kazaam in game.

Can I get an invite to guild?
Nick: KKRT

If you are still waiting for invites I'll be on now for a bit, just message Eorl and I'll send one your way or join up on Discord and poke me! Quote to get the link.

I need more info on PvP. Why would you want to turn hostile and kill people? There seems to be nothing but negative consequences for doing so.

Lose reputation
Lose town access
Everyone wants to kill you.

Is it just kind of a "self-imposed" challenge mode?
PvP is all about conquering land and opening up specific bosses/dungeons for players to complete for rare resources. That and some of the best top tier resources are in the PvP lands so there is quite a bit of incentive. Those wanting to purely gather may want to try their hand at the PvP areas, doesn't mean you will be in combat all the time as it is easily avoidable with how they changed the mounting system before launch.

Kitbash

Just learned you can't reuse names after deleting a character. What an odd thing.
You can -- the in-game text is wrong. Also, the deleted name stays limited to your account for 72 hours before it becomes free for anyone to take.

Menome

Thinking of buying this on Friday I checked but couldn't find is there a specific server for the gaf guild or is it a mega server?

The whole game is on one server at the moment, so hop in and send one of us in this thread a /tell to get a guild-invite.

Just jump into the Discord and usually someone is on. I've made all current members able to invite.

Thanks (Masuyo in-game)

Will jump on the Discord when I get home as I've got another 2-3 friends I just referred to the game yesterday. Most of em have been invited already. Also, did we decide Lymcraft as our home base area? Just bought my island last night and will probably begin working on it today when I get home.

One other thing that we discussed last night is have you promoted someone to "Right Hand" yet HowZatOZ? We were wanting to get the Guild Island started as well so people have an easier time making materials. Way too many shops in the towns are charing 45-50% fees on them which is killing some of our newer players with no silver.

EDIT: Did you put the Discord link in the OP? Or can you PM it to me. Didn't see it in the thread.

arimanius

So I'm way behind on starting my island. Been to busy monkeying around with builds. Where did everyone build theres? I was thinking of trying to make it to Caerleon and build mine there.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Thanks (Masuyo in-game)

Will jump on the Discord when I get home as I've got another 2-3 friends I just referred to the game yesterday. Most of em have been invited already. Also, did we decide Lymcraft as our home base area? Just bought my island last night and will probably begin working on it today when I get home.

One other thing that we discussed last night is have you promoted someone to "Right Hand" yet HowZatOZ? We were wanting to get the Guild Island started as well so people have an easier time making materials. Way too many shops in the towns are charing 45-50% fees on them which is killing some of our newer players with no silver.

EDIT: Did you put the Discord link in the OP? Or can you PM it to me. Didn't see it in the thread.

We've set up the guild island to be in Lymcraft after the voting chose it, though anyone can teleport to it from their own personal island and any of the major cities. It is a tad bare atm but I'm working on getting it all sorted out to be pretty and dazzling :) Discord link is https://discord.gg/7YrP5 sorry.

So I'm way behind on starting my island. Been to busy monkeying around with builds. Where did everyone build theres? I was thinking of trying to make it to Caerleon and build mine there.

Haha I have only just gotten my personal island after getting the guild one sorted, will be putting all my horses to growing hopefully.

Moff

soo I haven't played in a few days and I guess I need some motivation.

I am only at t2 and advanced to a larger city, but from there I seemingly can only enter yellow zones, where I probably get ganked immediately?

I joind a guild but I didn't see an option to find anyone. apparently we have an island but I have no idea where it is.

Should I build a house somewhere?

HowZatOZ

Banned
soo I haven't played in a few days and I guess I need some motivation.

I am only at t2 and advanced to a larger city, but from there I seemingly can only enter yellow zones, where I probably get ganked immediately?

I joind a guild but I didn't see an option to find anyone. apparently we have an island but I have no idea where it is.

Should I build a house somewhere?

So the big thing in Albion Online is personal progression alongside friend/guild progression. The game won't explicitly hold your hand outside of the initial tutorial and it can be a tad overwhelming because of that. What I would recommend doing is getting to that major city you stopped at and purchasing a personal house for use in building your own crafting stations. Gives you a guide on what to do next and motivate your character progression path.

Outside of personal house setup I'd recommend looking at your skill tree and figuring out just what you want to do in the game. Are you keen on being a logger and supplying resources for buildings? Rather be a pure PvPer? Want to just enjoy the simple things and grow crops? It is entirely up to you who and what you want to be in Albion and that as I mentioned can be a tad overwhelming when given so much choice.

For PvP, it will only be "forced" on you come the higher tiers where you need to venture into the black zones. Even then there are escape mechanisms in place so those wanting to gather can do so without being impacted but just be mindful. What you bring into the red and black zones can and will be looted, so make sure you only have on you what you need.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Can you buy clothes or weapons from the cash shop, since you lose items in certain PvP modes.

You can purchase vanity items with gold through the vanity store but that's stuff like fireworks and house placement objects. Nothing that would affect skill.

Won

Well, got my donkey and activated my premium membership. I guess I'm good to go.

If someone wants to add me to the guild or otherwise, name is WonTollo.

Currently working figuring out the crafting. I assume there is no vendor to sell my stuff? I either sell it on the market or salvage it?

Ri'Orius

Well, got my donkey and activated my premium membership. I guess I'm good to go.

If someone wants to add me to the guild or otherwise, name is WonTollo.

Currently working figuring out the crafting. I assume there is no vendor to sell my stuff? I either sell it on the market or salvage it?

You can also study it, if you're just trying to grind out the crafting XP. Destroys the item but gives you a lot of XP.

Apt101

Shooter, if you're out there, I put your horse in the guild chest. I'll be on later tonight. I tried to send an in-game mail but I don't know if it went through (I got what looked like a .NET error of all things.....).

KKRT00

Just info for guys from GAF guild.
I have T5 Stonemason and Tanner on my Island, soon i will have also T5 Lumbermill.
You are free to use it, just remember to check food supplies and add something from time to time :)

Quonny

I have T5 Stonemason and Tanner on my Island, soon i will have also T5 Lumbermill.
You are free to use it, just remember to check food supplies and add something from time to time :)
Yeah, I think someone used my cooking station this week and completely drained my food lul

Gamerdude99

Neo Member
So there was some talk about the grind but I would love some more specifics. I was having a lot of fun with the game but I remember thinking- dang, ive spent the past 2-3 hours doing the same mobs, running in circles to level up my archer's bow, and that if the rest of the game was that way, it wouldnt be sustainable for me.

But I love the idea that everything is player made. The concept is really awesome.

Got killed for the first time in the yellow zone, pair of gankers hunted me down... They belonged to a guild with an edgelord name and a red skull in their capes.

Luckily I was returning from the big central city so lost only my gear and mount. Bought a new mount and crafted new gear. Earned 30k from that trip even after those damn murderers.

I never travel with too much wares, those gankers being the reason. Better lose some of your stuff than all of them even if you need to travel more.

Won

So there was some talk about the grind but I would love some more specifics. I was having a lot of fun with the game but I remember thinking- dang, ive spent the past 2-3 hours doing the same mobs, running in circles to level up my archer's bow, and that if the rest of the game was that way, it wouldnt be sustainable for me.

But I love the idea that everything is player made. The concept is really awesome.

Can't give you specifics, because I'm not too deep into the game myself, but the progression systems in games like these are usually set up that after a certain point it will take you weeks, months and maybe even years to go further.

So it can be easy to burn yourself out, if you approach such a game wrong.

Gamerdude99

Neo Member
Can't give you specifics, because I'm not too deep into the game myself, but the progression systems in games like these are usually set up that after a certain point it will take you weeks, months and maybe even years to go further.

So it can be easy to burn yourself out, if you approach such a game wrong.

I liked how in world of warcraft, or guild wars 2, it may have been weeks to get to a certain level, but there were multiple ways to get there (dungeons, soloing mobs, quests, etc.). I was kinda hoping this game would have something similar.

But this has? You can craft, fight (PvE, PvP), be a gatherer etc.

You don't have craft everything, you can be a master chef, or a bow maker, or maker of the most fabulous shoes in the whole world.

This game doesn't have linear set of quests to progress your level. I rather like it. Love ESO etc too, but this game for me is all about spending hours of gathering materials and then making stuff.

I want to make everything eventually, although it may be nigh impossible. For now I am making tools, some lederhosen and quarterstaves (is that the right word?).

EDIT. Pretty much anything you do will net you "Honor", and it is like exp. If I understood it right.

KKRT00

Cuningas de Häme;244936630 said:
Got killed for the first time in the yellow zone, pair of gankers hunted me down... They belonged to a guild with an edgelord name and a red skull in their capes.

Luckily I was returning from the big central city so lost only my gear and mount. Bought a new mount and crafted new gear. Earned 30k from that trip even after those damn murderers.

I never travel with too much wares, those gankers being the reason. Better lose some of your stuff than all of them even if you need to travel more.

Why did you press Die? In yellow zone you cant be finished from downed state, so you cannot lose items.

----

I have like 76h in the game and grind is real, but a lot of it depends of your specialization and knowledge of the game.
For PVP and PVE you do not have to grind a lot, actually you get to T4 quite fast, especially with some help and T4 gear is enough for both activities unless you start doing like T6+ dungeons, though i'm not that far so dont know.
But for earning a lot of Silver you need to specialize in something and gathering is real grind. You will get to T3 in no time, which allows for extracting basic T4 resources, but grind for T4 and later is really hardcore.
It probably took me 12-15 hours of straight grind to get to T4 Skinnig tools (42k fame to 30% so you can use learning points to speed it up) and T5 requires 153k fame for 30%.

Grind for tools wouldnt be bad if you would have to have T4 tools to even efficient farm in yellow zones that T5 and T5 tools are required in Red zones so VI and VII.
Which means that game's design basically locks you up in safer zones in doing the same stuff over and over without any ability to do PVP for countless of hours.
Progression would feel way better if tools would just level while they are doing normal activities, even if it took a long time.
At least for me there is nothing more annoying that being forced to be doing stuff i dont want to just to be able to do stuff i want. And thats how grind felt to me.
Fortunately at least for Skinning i'm over this period, but it took a lot of time.

Ps. Playing solo is also soul crushing. Definitely game is designed around really nice structured groups. The groups do not have to be big, like 4 people can be fully sustainable and find their own niche, but playing solo and even duo is really hard and something annoying.
Though this is not a bad thing in general. EVE Online is/was the same.

Apt101

God bless you champion. Bless you. I gave it some good food but that bricker woman be hungry.

And a reminder: don't select Die in a yellow zone. Just wait to get up, mount up, and run away. You'll be invincible and fast for about 8 seconds.

Apt101

Damn they must be rebooting the app three times a day at this point. When are they going to expand the infrastructure?

Menome

Damn they must be rebooting the app three times a day at this point. When are they going to expand the infrastructure?

If I were them, I would wait until after the first free month of Premium was up and see what the retention rate was.

For example, if a server can comfortably handle up to 50,000 people, but there's 60,000 on causing the issues, there's little point in buying a new server if 30,000 decide not to play beyond the first month.

Quonny

Man, playing in the red zone is so much fun. Not only are the resources much more plentiful, but the PVP is rewarding. Well, when you aren't being ganked by four people.

Top Bottom