• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aldnoah Zero Season 2 |OT| Inaho or Out, It's All The Slaine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

For some reason I had a hard time following the flow of the fight scene this week, especially near the end of it.

Also, what was the point of Inaho using the grapple pistol at the end? Didn't look like he really went anywhere with it.

He was just impressing the ladies. Also, it's funny that Captain-whatsherface she was 'interested' in the Lt Marito when mothering Inaho is taking out Martians left and right. Surely someone should say "Wow. This kids had some real potential". Everyone else on Earth has been straight wrecked by these Martians except one little boy.

Just got into this show HARD. The music is a huge beneficiary and you can tell each episode how much it enhances what's going on on-screen. SO GUD

Jex

I think we just need to get used to the fact that anyone older than 18 is useless in anime, or at best significantly less competent than the younger characters.

I think that's kind of the point of this though, right? Adults are clearly incompetent, greedy, churlish, overconfident, unprepared or downright rude. They are unwilling or unable to deal with problems that they have to face. Some of them are weak (Marito) or already damaged (Sister). Clearly all the leaders on Earth are, to some degree, incompetent because they were unprepared for this development. Their best efforts were lacking.

The future of Japan (and by extension the world) is clearly in the hands of the new generation of kids who can learn from the mistakes of their past and rebuild Japan (the world). It's like a metaphor for the current situation in Japan right now! Kind of like how Eden of the East was.

I think that's kind of the point of this though, right? Adults are clearly incompetent, greedy, churlish, overconfident, unprepared or downright rude. They are unwilling or unable to deal with problems that they have to face. Some of them are weak (Marito) or already damaged (Sister). Clearly all the leaders on Earth are, to some degree, incompetent because they were unprepared for this development. Their best efforts were lacking.

The future of Japan (and by extension the world) is clearly in the hands of the new generation of kids who can learn from the mistakes of their past and rebuild Japan (the world). It's like a metaphor for the current situation in Japan right now! Kind of like how Eden of the East was.

Are we sure it really intends to be that deep?

Aldnoah Zero 4

A new letdown after the third episode that it seemed the series had improved.
The princess happens to confess her secret to just the protagonist, while maintaining the secret to everyone else. What a coincidence it's the protagonist the one that saw her in her true form in the previous ep. , she doesn't really have any idea of his feelings about Martians or what type of person is.
And the new Aldnoah mech and the fight was lol. "omg I'm in an super robot!" yeah he just have an energy sword. A laser katana, sorry. Which he waves senselessly to block incoming fire. Except that's fucking primitive of course, he has to run to each enemy and hit it by hand, and he doesn't have a 360º protection like the one before and he should be vulnerable to big explosive like missiles (which don't care if they blow up just in the proximity instead with direct contact) so it's a pretty shitty robot all things considered.

In more general terms, the super competence of the MC which is in heavy contrast with the incompetence of the martians make not take the series very seriously.

Look Haly, this is the Nolanverse. Nolan's just trying to take these comic-book ideas and put them in a realistic setting, but sometimes that 'realism' conflicts with the 'fun' of having silly super-robots do crazy robot stuff. There's an inherent conflict there, I suppose.

Some might call it animenarrativedissonance.

They try to explain it with being a huge wave of heat around the weapon that makes projectiles explode when they get close, but it's still much less impressive than the previous mech, this one seems vulnerable to normal attacks from the sides, back, above and below, apart from just big explosions. I don't know how the Martians are winning with these mechs!

edit: and as other have observed, the cut at the end of the fight was... weird. And I say weird when I could be saying bad.

duckroll

also it's obvious there is no 'zero', it's just a silly title because Ei Aoki just likes zeroes and maybe they want to turn this to a running franchise if it works out, aldnoah.whatever :p

I... wouldn't be so sure about that really. They've specifically said that "the meaning of the title will become clear later in the show".

He was just impressing the ladies. Also, it's funny that Captain-whatsherface she was 'interested' in the Lt Marito when mothering Inaho is taking out Martians left and right. Surely someone should say "Wow. This kids had some real potential". Everyone else on Earth has been straight wrecked by these Martians except one little boy.

Kira, Lelouch or whathisname, who do you prefer.

At least Kira and Lelouch had some style, fabulousness and crazy charm (or charming craziness!)

Jex

Look, Slaine and Inaho are just ciphers at this point. I guess Slaine at least likes a cute girl, so he's marginally more human?

It's really not that a very complicated allegory though, so I don't see why not.

I'm sure you know the other explanation very well Jexhius: it's that way because the series is a product done for teenagers, that's why the main characters are teenagers and that's why they are the talented ones, while the silly adults are useless (because if they weren't, it wouldn't make sense having teenagers save the world, adults would do the job).

Pooya

I... wouldn't be so sure about that really. They've specifically said that "the meaning of the title will become clear later in the show".

maybe they meant the aldnoah part or something D:
Even if not, this zero is probably just a plot device and not a extra super mecha!

Mokoi

Banned
Here's a funny frame by frame look at a scene in the OP: http://imgur.com/a/PHg2m

It's hilarious how the mech goes entirely from CG to 2D just to accommodate the debris and explosion done in 2D. I guess they agree with the sentiment that CG explosions just don't look anywhere as good, especially if you have good 2D effect animators. :)

Haha, I didn't even notice that. I like how the arms get skinnier.

Episode 4

Really not liking the music in the fight scenes. I mean the music is great but the vocals are awful. Rewatching episode 3, I now understand what some people were complaining about.

Uhhh so there is singing this time too huh.

duckroll

maybe they meant the aldnoah part or something D:
Even if not, this zero is probably just a plot device and not a extra super mecha!

Nah they were definitely talking about the Zero part. IIRC the question was what the title meant, and the answer was something like "Aldnoah is the mysterious energy source left behind by the ancient Martian civilization, as for what the Zero refers to it will become clear later in the show."

Aldnoah is not what they call the mechs, so it's probably more about the source of the energy and where it comes from.

Jex

I'm sure you know the other explanation very well Jexhius: it's that way because the series is a product done for teenagers, that's why the main characters are teenagers and that's why they are the talented ones, while the silly adults are useless (because if they weren't, it wouldn't make sense having teenagers save the world, adults would do the job).

That's a perfectly acceptable hypothesis that doesn't, on it's, negate my own!

-Horizon-

I just went ahead and made this, felt like it was appropriate.

UuUVroG.gif

I had another one where it was bish inside the cockpit saying banned but the way I made it made it seem like he was the one banned lol

Poor Slaine, why do I always root for the loser...

Slaine > Inaho

Jex

Nah they were definitely talking about the Zero part. IIRC the question was what the title meant, and the answer was something like "Aldnoah is the mysterious energy source left behind by the ancient Martian civilization, as for what the Zero refers to it will become clear later in the show."

Aldnoah is not what they call the mechs, so it's probably more about the source of the energy and where it comes from.

You know, the only terminology in the series that really gets my goat is "Kataphrakt". Please for the love of god no. Just call a robot a robot (or mecha, whatever), don't feel like you need to give fancy names to familiar concepts just because you're building your own world. It's just seems like you're trying too hard to insert your own stamp when really there's a perfectly good team anyway! Fantasy writers are guilty of this nonsense as well.

Andrew J.

Look Haly, this is the Nolanverse. Nolan's just trying to take these comic-book ideas and put them in a realistic setting, but sometimes that 'realism' conflicts with the 'fun' of having silly super-robots do crazy robot stuff. There's an inherent conflict there, I suppose.

Some might call it animenarrativedissonance.

This show is several levels removed from Christopher Nolan levels of "Let's make a serious and realistic version of this crazy genre concept!" In several respects Aldnoah is significantly less realistic than even Gargantia, the most notable that the entire Martian faction seems to have chuunibyou.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Cataphracts are West Eurasian cavalry tho...

Mokoi

Banned
Heh Kataphrakt is the official name of the mechs. Hmm I see Kataphrakts were a type of heavy-cavalry unit it seems. Best stop before I get lost reading up on them, but if there going with that name. Where the hell are the lances? Would make for much more interesting fight scenes.

Well I guess those little knives can count as a lance.

Jex

Look, it's been 15 years, that's like, decades right? Everyone's suddenly Knights and Royalty and can officially speak in a very silly manner. How is that not believable and normal!

Andrew J.

Look, it's been 15 years, that's like, decades right? Everyone's Knights and Royalty and can officially speak in a very silly manner. How is that not believable and normal!

Butch will never get Nolan-sempai to notice him if he keeps writing like this.

duckroll

I'm looking forward to Slaine going back into combat just to chill out with Martian bros and single out those who are part of the conspiracy. He'll probably get better at killing with each target down. Experience and all. The first kill is always the hardest! :)

Jex

Cataphracts are West Eurasian cavalry tho...

But they're just robots. Call a space a spade. Even the humans call them katra-whatevers. It'd be fine is just the Martians did it because they have Castles and Dukes and Princesses and shit but why do humans have to call robots silly names?
I'm looking forward to Slaine going back into combat just to chill out with Martian bros and single out those who are part of the conspiracy. He'll probably get better at killing with each target down. Experience and all. The first kill is always the hardest! :)

We can only hope he gets a red mecha that's 3 x faster.

Andrew J.

But they're just robots. Call a space a spade. Even the humans call them katra-whatevers. It'd be fine is just the Martians did it because they have Castles and Dukes and Princesses and shit but why do humans have to call robots silly names?

I think the vast majority of real robot shows have some special name for their machines that's not just "giant robot" or "mech" or "mecha." Goes all the way back to Gundam and "mobile suit".

Besides, "Kataphrakt" brings to mind the Heresy-era Cataphractii-pattern Tactical Dreadnought Armor, and Terminators come close to that powered armor/giant robot line.[/secret40kthread]

Pooya

There are quite a few schoolmates now, I feel they can only be redundant like the two new guys this eps, what was the point of having those here? Are they just there to die when Inaho's planning goes wrong once or twice, l don't think he will keep going like he has so far with his planning.

there are too many characters still, even Calm and Inko look expendable. Rayet oth looks like to matter a lot more next to the main trio, her va does all the previews.

duckroll

There are quite a few schoolmates now, I feel they can only be redundant like the two new guys this eps, what was the point of having those here? Are they just there to die when Inaho's planning goes wrong once or twice, l don't think he will keep going like he has so far with his planning.

there are too many characters still, even Calm and Inko look expendable. Rayet oth looks like to matter a lot more next to the main trio, her va does all the previews.

Huge redundant casts used to maintain the illusion of there being a large organizational structure in the military setting is a very common thing in Gundam series and any series looking to copy Gundam. Since this is Aniplex's "Gundam Killer" it was probably one of the main things the production committee wanted to see from the show.

I think you are giving him too much credit. No way is Slaine actually planning something like that.

We can only hope he gets a red mecha that's 3 x faster.

Sir Racist: Slaine you filthy Terran, you wish to fight? Fine. You can do so using the Aldnoah Zero Kalafracto.
Slaine: But sir! The Aldnoah Zero Kalafracto is a prototype. It could kill me!
Sir Racist: Muahahahahahahahahahaa

Cue the "prototype" having no downsides.

I think you are giving him too much credit. No way is Slaine actually planning something like that.

Sir Racist: Slaine you filthy Terran, you wish to fight? Fine. You can do so using the Aldnoah Zero Kalafracto.
Slaine: But sir! The Aldnoah Zero Kalafracto is a prototype. It could kill me!
Sir Racist: Muahahahahahahahahahaa

Cue the "prototype" having no downsides.

Nah slaine has a huge hardon for the princess so he will turn into a merciless killer and weed out the conspirators. Maybe aldnoah zeros downside is that it changes you into a demon or something.

Final battle will be inaho vs slaine naruto vs sasuke style.

Mortemis

Banned
You know, I feel like I'd be enjoying this much more if this didn't have that one track with that girl screaming being played over and over, it's even the ED now. The track wouldn't be so bad if it didn't have the vocals.

This episode was alright, I'm glad we don't have Inaho running around slaying martian mechs, a withdrawal was much better.

Jarmel

Banned
I don't know how you go from a super shield (OP, but sensible) to knocking away bullets with a laser sword.

To be fair, it is a badass sword. Any sword that essentially superheats air to create a shield is pretty awesome. That said, yea he definitely drew the short end of that stick.

I'm not sure if they used Leidenfrost in a completely correct manner though. The sword was melting the tips of the bullets and damaging the explosive rounds. That said, it was also not completely evaporating the bullets either.

Finalow

Oh I watched it again, it was Inaho after all.
I thought he stayed on the ship while Calm did the close combat stuff, but it looks like he got off at the start and it was all him. Lol!
OP as fuck.
I had problems in that fight too, at first I thought it was Calm doing all the fighting but nope, I watched it again and you see him for 2 frames *after he gets spotted right away - wow sick plan Calm* while he's trying to aim at the enemy katrass but he doesn't shoot because Inaho is also there. this confirms various things: Calm didn't do shit during that fight (well I guess you could say that he distracted the enemy for one second...), Calm is an idiot and he also can't aim for shit, which makes more sense since he's just a kid in training.
on the other hand Inaho is like the new gundam pilot, except that he has no gundam so earth is doomed etc.

still waiting for everyone to scream "sugee Inaho" and then to show him the earth katrarkulo super secret prototype which is also super strong and can actually fight those martian mechs.

I'm not sure if they used Leidenfrost in a completely correct manner though. The sword was melting the tips of the bullets and damaging the explosive rounds. That said, it was also not completely evaporating the bullets either.
I'm pretty sure that they didn't. they just picked that effect and then added the "alien badass sword thing", which it can make sense if you think about it as "alien advanced technology".
they could have just said that the sword has a magic field that reflects everything but at least in this case they referred to something real. not sure if that's a good thing though.

overall I enjoyed this 4th episode. the new martian kattrapass was pretty cool, the whole episode was good looking (especially liked the explosion after he threw the sword) too, I also didn't see too much CG ugliness. the battle, even if quite confusing, wasn't actually bad.

I didn't dislike the music in the previous episodes but this time he just used the same track from the other episodes again and again, I like it but come on.

sonicmj1

Episode 4

You'd think that, at this point, people besides Inaho would realize that standing in a line and firing bullets at the Martian mechs is pointless. They can't plead ignorance anymore. If I have to watch one more scene where three members of the military shoot at a robot, empty their guns, and then get cut down easily...

One of my friends who just started the series was complaining a little about the directing. It made me look at this episode with a more critical eye, and I think I see where he's coming from compared to something like Zankyou no Terror. The shot composition rarely reveals much about the inner lives of the characters or their relationship with each other. Characters tend to just wind up in different places without much sense of how they got there. The only real exceptions to this come in scenes with Cruhteo and Slaine, and those have all had more-or-less the same dynamic.

ibryZPpWTYJnhN.jpg

The camera holds on these two characters for a while after the princess starts speaking, but their reactions don't change. In that case, why am I looking at them?

ibkgqa7RJmA6Xx.jpg

Cruhteo is always above Slaine, emphasizing how both characters perceive their relative positions.

That's because there's a whole lot to juggle in this show. The cast on Earth is enormous, everybody is busy, a mech battle has to happen, and the show can't forget about Slaine. The episode is so preoccupied hitting every plot point and tying up all the loose ends and audience questions that it doesn't have time to explore anybody's psychology. Some of the more straightforward characters have managed to come out with arcs (Calm, that bearded survivor of the attack 15 years ago), but Inaho in particular still comes off as faceless, even as a preternaturally calm cypher. Even when he's stirred to action by his gut, he seems the same as he always does. I can't imagine the character arc where this makes sense.

I hope next episode gives some characters time to develop.

The battle was alright, but the direction didn't feel as sharp as last episode's battle. Particularly, the geography of the battlefield and the relative location of the Aldnoah mech to the two Earth mechs was unclear. This was most noticeable with the way the Knight withdrew at the end. He just kind of jumps up into the air and he's gone. Wasn't Calm standing between him and the rest of the mainland, waiting earlier to take his shot before others intervened?

i3zv5FW2fQyF6.jpg
ibf2DRJ2sgkaPq.jpg

iGyhliO7vkyms.jpg

These are the three final shots of the mech. Where does it go? Who can say?

I like how the Mars robots all use Aldnoah differently. The way that our heroes have to figure out what each robot can do reminds me a bit of Stand battles in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. I wonder what else they'll come up with.

LMN

I prefer Argyre designed over Nilokeras, but DAT legs, look like it miss leg day. If a plastic model is ever release, can't imagine if it can stand up without assistance. On the other hand if there is a plastic model for Sleipnir, day one!

Articalys

The battle was alright, but the direction didn't feel as sharp as last episode's battle. Particularly, the geography of the battlefield and the relative location of the Aldnoah mech to the two Earth mechs was unclear. This was most noticeable with the way the Knight withdrew at the end. He just kind of jumps up into the air and he's gone. Wasn't Calm standing between him and the rest of the mainland, waiting earlier to take his shot before others intervened?
Yeah, that was a pretty big complaint of mine as well.

Danj

I was just assuming that it means they're going to discover some new-model giant robot hidden away on Earth somewhere that will completely kick the Martians' asses or whatever. Or maybe an old-model, maybe "Zero" means it's the original prototype from which all the other Aldnoahs are derived, and it doesn't have the mass production model's limitations or something.

Jex

I think the vast majority of real robot shows have some special name for their machines that's not just "giant robot" or "mech" or "mecha." Goes all the way back to Gundam and "mobile suit".

Besides, "Kataphrakt" brings to mind the Heresy-era Cataphractii-pattern Tactical Dreadnought Armor, and Terminators come close to that powered armor/giant robot line.[/secret40kthread]

Just because lots of writers commit a sin doesn't mean it's forgiven.

Huge redundant casts used to maintain the illusion of there being a large organizational structure in the military setting is a very common thing in Gundam series and any series looking to copy Gundam. Since this is Aniplex's "Gundam Killer" it was probably one of the main things the production committee wanted to see from the show.
I don't the cast is redundant per say. With the way the story is structured there's going to be a number of other characters floating around anyway. If they'd really learnt from modern Gundam then they should know that ever single side character should satisfy some weird otaku-fetish!

I never forgive.

Mokoi

Banned
Episode 4

Those intro explosives looked pretty nice, and Inaho does have emotions! He smiled a couple of times during this episode. It's just once the man hits battle mode it's no longer all fun in games. Also seems we got introduced to a couple of more students. I wonder if they will end up dying. Yeah I'm sure they will. Also I'm going to call it that somehow everyone
is going to find out that the princess is rooming with them, and its going to to lead a big ol fight between if they should kill or help her.

The CG is alright with me, but those fingers gave me a good laugh. The fight scene was definitely badly directed. Where the hell did the martian robot go to? He seemed to just mystically disappear. I mean the fuck did he leap into the exosphere. Something I've noticed is that the martian pilots don't even seemed to be skilled at all. They just have better robots which give them a strong advantage. Also a thing that really bugs me is why the hell don't the other earth pilots boost away like Inhao did. Sure Inhao is supposed to be amazing, but really is he the only person who knows how to evade attacks.

Overall it was still enjoyable, and the vocals didn't bother me that much this time. Can't wait to see what Slaine is going to do.

Edit: Nobody praised how badass Inaho is! At least give him some credit.

BearPawB

Banned
Despite the less than stellar cg elements i continue to like this show (yes, even the lyrical music!)

I wish the MC was more than a cardboard cut out, but I have hope that Slaine will be the true heart of the show. And I enjoy most of the female characters.

Jex

Episode 4

One of my friends who just started the series was complaining a little about the directing. It made me look at this episode with a more critical eye, and I think I see where he's coming from compared to something like Zankyou no Terror. The shot composition rarely reveals much about the inner lives of the characters or their relationship with each other. Characters tend to just wind up in different places without much sense of how they got there. The only real exceptions to this come in scenes with Cruhteo and Slaine, and those have all had more-or-less the same dynamic.
I have to agree. A lot of the framing feels pretty plain and, well, standard. There's not a lot of creativity on that front. On the other hand, the way the story is paced and strung together is quite good.

Mokoi

Banned
Despite the less than stellar cg elements i continue to like this show (yes, even the lyrical music!)

I wish the MC was more than a cardboard cut out, but I have hope that Slaine will be the true heart of the show. And I enjoy most of the female characters.

Hehe well it's nice to see someone who enjoys the lyrical music, and yeah I also enjoy the female military commanders. Although I didn't like the little banter they had going on during episode 4. I mean come on you are being attacked. It's not the time to be cracking jokes about dates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom