• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is the most coveted endorsement besides former presidents, edging out Nancy Pelosi

Nov 23, 2010

Several Democratic presidential candidates are actively courting the support of progressive star Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York — and Democratic primary voters polled by INSIDER say they value her 2020 endorsement the most out of all non ex-Democratic presidents.
What if AOC's influence extends well beyond Twitter?

It looks like things are going to get ugly between leftists and Nancy Pelosi. Soul of the Democratic party is up in the air if folks want her endorsement.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
AOC doesn't have the older voters, which is going to create a huge problem if she chases them away.

I also don't trust these polls (sorry), but thank you for posting. There's a war within the Democrat party. It seems reasonable to expect media branches that are sympathetic to the Justice Democrats would overstate a candidate's influence.

Tea Party Republican movement all over again...

Didn't think Dems would be so blindsided, though.

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
said it before, aoc will never live down the fence moping photo op, that shit is gonna be stapled to her gravestone

her district is dumb enough to reelect, but that's prolly gonna be it

Last edited:
Reactions: infinitys_7th

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005
Why would people seek out to be endorsed by a known idiot, and someone who apparently doesnt know history all that well either?

What?

Reactions: CatLady

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Why would people seek out to be endorsed by a known idiot, and someone who apparently doesnt know history all that well either?

What?
Divide and conquer, baby!

Controlled chaos is how we keep the minions fighting among themselves and not focus on the power leaching.

Reactions: Barnabot

Eiknarf

Mar 25, 2019
It’s why Bernie is trying to hitch a ride on AOC’s coattails of pressuring Congress to declare climate change a national emergency. That was her thing and now he’s jumping on it to get some of her fame

Nov 23, 2010
AOC doesn't have the older voters, which is going to create a huge problem if she chases them away.

I also don't trust these polls (sorry), but thank you for posting.
That's true. But from what I can tell, AOC might be one of the most powerful influencers on the left. Even though she just started the job. Even though she hasn't done much because she's new.

If you ask me, that's not good news for Nancy and folks in her camp. If you want to maintain control, you can't make AOC go away by taking shots at her. And if you're worried an AOC approved candidate will lose to Pres. Trump, then you might want to lie down because a lot of the frontrunners are on AOC's side.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
It’s why Bernie is trying to hitch a ride on AOC’s coattails of pressuring Congress to declare climate change a national emergency. That was her thing and now he’s jumping on it to get some of her fame
Bernie has been in the climate change game when AOC was getting shitfaced in bars.

He had his hand in a lot of documentaries, etc..

Not sticking up for him, but he is mainly drawing party lines cause he is not an establishment Dem.

Petrae

Nov 19, 2006
West Springfield, MA
www.youtube.com
As the Democratic Party gets yanked radically left, people like Pelosi are going to get shouted down by radicals like AOC, Warren, and Harris.

Moderates in either party are endangered species as extremes on the left and the right continue to usurp control and support... so moderate voters (like myself) don’t have much hope for the future.

Bumpy rides for everyone.

Reactions: CatLady

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
That's true. But from what I can tell, AOC might be one of the most powerful influencers on the left. Even though she just started the job. Even though she hasn't done much because she's new.

If you ask me, that's not good news for Nancy and folks in her camp. If you want to maintain control, you can't make AOC go away by taking shots at her. And if you're worried an AOC approved candidate will lose to Pres. Trump, then you might want to lie down because a lot of the frontrunners are on AOC's side.
I agree that it shows weakness when a small band of upstarts (from the House of Representatives, no less) can grab the public's attention for so long and with no signs of slowing down. But that's Pelosi's fault. She wanted the social-justice vote and "party unity" and this is her consequence.

Reactions: autoduelist
Oct 26, 2018
AOC rising is the best thing that's happened to Trump. And she's not even a pres candidate.

All her goofing around not only makes the left look bad for many people, but the infighting, and AOC even being combative with her own side makes the entire left disfunctional. That candidate debate didn't help either.

On the right, it's still orange boy with his tweets.

All the lefty antics will make many fence sitters and slight left leaning voters vote Trump.

You'd think the media (which is very liberal leaning) would purposely NOT give endless articles about AOC because it makes the left seem scatterbrained, but she gets tons of coverage.

The biggest wish the left has is for the stock markets to tumble in the next 12 months and people being pinked slipped like crazy. This would make voters turn on Trump as his economy first attitude would it be failing.

If the economy doesn't tank, Trump will win.

Last edited:

Dada55000

Oct 24, 2018
Lol what? Do you know how congressional elections work? She'll be around for a looong long time.
She has abysmal approval with her constituents in her district, her shitting up the Amazon deal being a major factor, alongside spending all her efforts on being in the national news/twitter shitposting while phoning it in at her actual position. She's likely going to be primaried by the democrats themselves.

And that's if her district doesn't get redistributed out of existence in 2020, which it also has a high chance of. She's not like the other 2 morons in her clique, whose names elude me, their positions and prospects are mostly safe I think. AOC's isn't.

Joe T.

Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
As the Democratic Party gets yanked radically left, people like Pelosi are going to get shouted down by radicals like AOC, Warren, and Harris.
I don't see that happening because Harris and Warren aren't far removed from Pelosi. Warren's as far left as the establishment class will allow her to go, notice how she made it a point to state she's a capitalist? That helped distinguish herself from Bernie Sanders and calmed corporate big wigs, both wins for Pelosi as she seeks to put a woman in the White House that will tow the party line. Harris flip flopped hard on the Medicare for All issue when she initially said she'd remove private health insurance same as Bernie, quickly walking it back when pressed by reporters later.

I'm assuming AOC is pushing for Sanders to take the nomination because she already knows they're on the same page, both policy-wise and in the aim to create a path to a viable third party ASAP. She's got members on her team that worked for Sanders in 2016.

Riven326

Mar 25, 2019
United States

Moderates in either party are endangered species as extremes on the left and the right continue to usurp control and support... so moderate voters (like myself) don’t have much hope for the future.

Bumpy rides for everyone.
Maybe the case on the left, but the right is much more stable. I find that disappointing in a way. I want more American nationalism, not less.

danielberg

Jun 20, 2018
Hmm ny dems could just eliminate ocasios district after 2020 some leftists will be pissed at dems but its not like they have options in a two party system

Last edited:

juliotendo

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2019
Mexico
Why would anyone with half a brain and conscious want this bimbo dime a dozen bar girl now turned congresswoman’s endorsement? She’s a fucking moron that can’t even put together one coherent string of words when speaking or debating anything.

Nov 23, 2010
It does.

She will.

She is.
I think it's up in the air.

Nancy's side wants you to believe that AOC's followers are just a crazed flash mob on Twitter. The opinions of those people on the internet are not very important.

Plus, Pelosi's supporters believe a moderate is their best chance to beat Pres. Trump in a general election. A leftist would be an unmitigated disaster. That makes things awkward.

That's because you probably can't have the blessing of moderates and AOC at the same time. It's got to be one or the other.

Accordingly, in order to get AOC's stamp of approval, you will need to be authentic and agree with most of her ideas on issues like taxes, green energy, and immigration. If AOC and the Democratic nominee are leftists while Nancy Pelosi and her moderates are on a different page, then that's problematic. Someone is going to have to take a backseat and I'm not convinced yet it's going to be AOC and her supporters.

Pres. Trump and Steve Bannon demonstrated what you have to do in order to remake a party in your image. From what I can tell, AOC has a great shot at pulling off a huge power play from her Twitter account over the course of the next year.

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
I think it is good. The democratic candidates, except of Biden, are all far left.
So how can we tell them apart? They need to push further.

Come on guys, we all agree that there are imbalances. Why does the alt-right push for protecting property rights?
No one, seriously, need to own more than, say, 1m$ in assets, including their home.
The only thing fair for society is if we redistribute any excess ownership to the commune.

One time tax, take all assets above 1m$ from the rich and redistribute it to provide food, healthcare and schools for the undocumented.

(You laugh now, but wait 6 months. In 2016 people laughed at the concept of Bernie being an alt-right white-supremacists too!)

Last edited:

crowbrow

Feb 28, 2019
If she fucks up the establishment democrats then good. The current democratic leadership is just a bunch of neoliberals in disguise.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Tesseract

Christopher

Mar 19, 2005
AOC literally has no self identity she is every college young advocate extreme policy endorser nothing at all seems her very own platform - let’s poll the extremely left and then regurgitate what they think.

Reactions: DeepEnigma

Patriots7

Jul 15, 2008
AOC rising is the best thing that's happened to Trump. And she's not even a pres candidate.

All her goofing around not only makes the left look bad for many people, but the infighting, and AOC even being combative with her own side makes the entire left disfunctional. That candidate debate didn't help either.

On the right, it's still orange boy with his tweets.

All the lefty antics will make many fence sitters and slight left leaning voters vote Trump.

You'd think the media (which is very liberal leaning) would purposely NOT give endless articles about AOC because it makes the left seem scatterbrained, but she gets tons of coverage.

The biggest wish the left has is for the stock markets to tumble in the next 12 months and people being pinked slipped like crazy. This would make voters turn on Trump as his economy first attitude would it be failing.

If the economy doesn't tank, Trump will win.
I can't argue with any of this. All the truth.

She's as much of a cancer to the Democrats as Trump.

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
What if AOC's influence extends well beyond Twitter?
it doesn't. however Twitter is the most coveted platform by media types, and she is good at Twitter, thus she is most coveted.

social media probably makes fundraiser's eyes light up, and they see AOC's brand as "talking to the kids these days" etc. it makes sense why big money would want to tap into some of that coolness.

practically, she doesn't accomplish much, but that is not what these people want. they just want attention and clicks. she is great at getting those.

tbh she would make a better marketing person than a politician.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2010
it doesn't. however Twitter is the most coveted platform by media types, and she is good at Twitter, thus she is most coveted.

social media probably makes fundraiser's eyes light up, and they see AOC's brand as "talking to the kids these days" etc. it makes sense why big money would want to tap into some of that coolness.

practically, she doesn't accomplish much, but that is not what these people want. they just want attention and clicks. she is great at getting those.

tbh she would make a better marketing person than a politician.
I don't think big money wants to tap into AOC's movement. On the contrary, they're probably petrified.

And I'm growing more convinced AOC is more than just a popular Twitter account. I saw in another thread today Pres. Trump came to Nancy Pelosi's defense. It looks like Pelosi is in big trouble. Pres. Trump is saying Pelosi is not a racist. Plus, AOC and the other freshmen on the left don't respect her.

All AOC is doing is flexing her Twitter muscle and giving an interview in the paper. Yet, presidential candidates are kissing the ring and Nancy Pelosi is on the ropes.

Last edited: