• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alice in Wonderland DS is an amazing little game

The gameplay feels like a mixture of Lost Vikings, Ico, and Metroid with an art style that looks like a combination of Patapon, Tim Burton, and World of Goo.

I originally picked up the game when I was just browsing around a store because the box art really caught my eye. Like I said before it's almost like a Patapon/World of Goo/Disney hybrid. Really eye catching and works really well on the DS.

You don't actually play as Alice, you guide her through the world using either The White Rabbit, The Mad Hatter, Absolem, and Chessur. Each character has special traits that help them get around Underland. The White Rabbit is an excellent fighter who can control time, Absolem can alter gravity and form a bridge to cross long gaps, Chessur can materialize and dematerialize parts of the environment, and, well, I haven't gotten to the Hatter yet so I'm not sure what he can or can't do.

Another thing that I feel like I should mention is that the map is broken up into puzzles pieces with different suited doors linking the areas. You can actually take apart the different areas and re-link them together to create shortcuts for yourself. Pretty cool and felt really original to me.

Sometimes you find a licensed title that really stands out from the crowd. In my opinion this is one of those games. I hope it sells well. It deserves it.

I'm watching a video of it and it looks really cool.

The DS has those rare good licensed games like Web of Shadows. It's like the publisher just gives it to an unknown and they make what they want with it.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
any links to the gameplay etc? looking at youtube jsut giving trailers

9am on a night shift so the noggin not working )

Kimosabae

Banned
El Pescado said:
The gameplay feels like a mixture of Lost Vikings, Ico, and Metroid with an art style that looks like a combination of Patapon, Tim Burton, and World of Goo.

I originally picked up the game when I was just browsing around a store because the box art really caught my eye. Like I said before it's almost like a Patapon/World of Goo/Disney hybrid. Really eye catching and works really well on the DS.

What? GAF people actually do this??

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Cool liking the art style and the "dark" atmosphere of the game... will have this on my radar now cool

Loam

Wait you bought a 30$ game based on its cover alone? And a licensed game no less!?

Thanks for the heads up though, sounds pretty interesting.

Blizzard

Banned
It probably wouldn't be a game for me, but the art style is creative, and the music sounds like it's pretty good quality (unless that video has music from elsewhere). :)

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I NEED SCISSORS said:
The great thing is that apart from the soundtrack, there are very few hints that it's even related to the film.

The best way to do a licensed game.

This looks cool. I'll keep an eye on it.

Lijik

I think I said before in the reminiscing of old alice games thread that I wish the movie was as humorous and entertaining as the dialogue in this game and I still stand by that.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Kimosabae said:
What? GAF people actually do this??

Are you joking? I've almost done this with THIS GAME 3 times this week! The boxart and screen shots keep drawing me in, finally I saw this thread and now I need to buy it.

It'll be the second movie license game I buy for the DS. Strangely, the other also had a sort of Lost Vikings kind of gameplay.

I'm really pleased with the art style and the gameplay sounds interesting, will pick this up this afternoon and have something to play over the weekend

TripOpt55

Wow, that looks pretty cool. I probably never would have given this a thought due to it being a licensed game. I will keep this in mind when I need a new handheld game to play. Love the look of it.

MonsterHunter said:
On-screen hints but the person playing gets stuck at a wall for the last thirty seconds. .

That gameplay is from the prologue stage that teaches you how to play. I'm also not sure how the person got stuck on the wall since all they had to do was hold the stylus over the wall and McTwisp would have jumped over it.

As for me buying games based on the box art... Yes, I did it. I generally don't, but this art style really did catch my eye.

Not Really Spoilers, but a fun little gameplay tidbit:
I'm not sure how this plays out on a regular DS, but while I was wandering around getting treasures and stuff I found a treasure chest that was colored in with a rainbow instead of white like all the others. Instead of just being able to open it I was prompted to point the DSi Camera at certain colors in my house to open it up. It seems dumb, but it was nice to see the DSi features used for something.

Raydeen

El Pescado said:
That gameplay is from the prologue stage that teaches you how to play. I'm also not sure how the person got stuck on the wall since all they had to do was hold the stylus over the wall and McTwisp would have jumped over it.

As for me buying games based on the box art... Yes, I did it. I generally don't, but this art style really did catch my eye.

Not Really Spoilers, but a fun little gameplay tidbit:
I'm not sure how this plays out on a regular DS, but while I was wandering around getting treasures and stuff I found a treasure chest that was colored in with a rainbow instead of white like all the others. Instead of just being able to open it I was prompted to point the DSi Camera at certain colors in my house to open it up. It seems dumb, but it was nice to see the DSi features used for something.

That's quite neat.

I could imagine The Game RPG featuring Neill Struss and Mystery. To unlock the next level, intead of a boss to fightm you have one timed hour to get a smiling photo of ten perfect 10 blondes or brunettes. :D :D :lol

The game comes with a neat mini poster also.

10o410p.jpg

vixlar

Oh my god! This game looks awesome!!! I need my DS phat back.. or maybe i should buy a DSi... muahahahahaha

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Why couldn't they have made an animated update in this style as opposed to the Tim Burton nonsense?

Anyway, if the game is really solid I'll give it a looksee.

Top Bottom