• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Covenant |SPOILER THREAD| With more Christian subtext than BvS

Savitar

I hated how dumb the crew was, watching everything happen especially bringing the main ship into a position that could destroy it and EVERYONE that was aboard was the point I wanted them all to die. I figured the two bridge crew that wasn't Tennessee might be the only smart people but nope, they suddenly go with it. These people did not deserve to live. It was a slowly building ramp that made you hate these people, wonder how these people were at all capable to be in charge of such a journey. If they make a follow up and that's questionable due to how the movie did they should skip ahead with a ship sent out to find out what happened to the colonist only to find the wreck and the shit show that was bound to follow. That way it becomes a survival movie, plus you can have a believable Ripley character if you want that. Speaking of which.........

Am I the only one tired of the one specific female being always right and thus becomes the defacto Ripley by the end? I wouldn't mind go into a movie you didn't know who was going to survive until the end, be it male or female, you don't have to make them always right either. Not stupid as these people were, but not always knowing what's best. It's become almost cliche at this point and feels like a weight around the script. Give it a twist. Something we are not expecting.

Anyone else think that there were parts of the movie that was just bad sci-fi? Like, half of the problems that happened could have been avoided if they had a competent crew or followed proper procedures when exploring a new planet.

border

??!!?

How would that even work? What happens to the last 30+ minutes? Who does Daniels fight on the cargo loader and what happens when they're back on the covenant?

Bizarre.

I'd love to watch this version. What's the run time?

Yeah, I don't understand how you can cut out the xenomorph and still have a coherent film.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
As for Aliens? Plenty of dumb people in that one too. Like the guy who knew exactly what was going on but was too stupid to tell anybody.
Burke? He didnt told anyone because that was the plan. They just wanted to get hands of a Xeno or a Facehugger planted on someone, everyone was expendable. It was a plotpoint and brought up by Ripley.
Or the multiple trained soldiers that ignored orders and brought live ammunition into a nuclear fusion reactor.
Point for you.
Or the guy who saw the Alien drool on the dropship and said fuck it and didn't warn anybody anyway.
Yeah, people react in fear. Guess you would stay cool when a giant black killer-bug is about to kill you. And: This is how horrormovies work.
Or the supposed leader of the Marines who was too dumb/inexperienced to properly do the job.
If you see the movie, its obivious literaly no one can cope with the stuff in the first encounter with the Xenomorphs, everyone is super overwhelmed. Even Ripley. And like in my point before: These are people, who, despite beeing Colonial Marines, just stumpled into a hive where people and corpses are glued to the wall, have monsters jumping out of their chestes and all that while the whole situation is super hard to oversee. There are people getting burned to death by their own allies, monster drop randomly from the wall and idiots brough live ammunition into a nuclear reactor. Everyone in the world would freak out. And no, this is completly different then scientists flying through space and just taking of their helmet.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
What a disappointing movie

Saw it last night.

It was in no way scary. Scott is far more concerned with Universe building where it doesn't need it.

The Xenomorph was beaten far too easily. The kill shots were ok. But two people who encountered a Xenomorph for the first time minutes earlier managed to kill not 1 but 2?

Also, I'm pretty perturbed that we got a Prometheus sequel in our Alien movie. I didn't *hate* Prometheus, but I certainly didn't like it. Also, the premise of both movies is scientists not wearing helmets. Or taking off helmets and getting infected with things. If everyone leaves their helmets on/wears a helmet in both movies they just go home.

Kazuhira

Overall,i've enjoyed it just as much as i did with Prometheus which is a good thing in my book.
So,i'm gonna stay in my little crazy world where the only bad movie in the franchise is Resurrection so far.
Alien=A+,Aliens=A,Alien3/Prometheus/Covenant=B;Resurrection=-Z
I hope the bluray version includes extra scenes,especially the Walter vs David finale,i want to know exactly what happened in the last moment.

s_mirage

It was in no way scary. Scott is far more concerned with Universe building where it doesn't need it.

The Xenomorph was beaten far too easily. The kill shots were ok. But two people who encountered a Xenomorph for the first time minutes earlier managed to kill not 1 but 2?

IMO one of the problems is that the Xenomorth is that it's a busted flush as far as being scary is concerned, yet since he's no longer constrained by it being a guy in a rubber suit, Scott feels the need to show it way too much. We've already seen it over and over again, and without mystery and suspense it's just not frightening on its own. Personally, I thought the Neomorphs were way creepier, but again, they were shown too much with little suspense.

Anyone who was hoping for/expecting more Shaw and David in the upcoming Covenant prequel novel is getting curved hard. http://www.avpgalaxy.net/2017/06/07/alien-covenant-origins-synopsis-released/

As the colony ship Covenant prepares for launch, and the final members of the crew are chosen, a series of violent events reveal a conspiracy to sabotage the launch. Yet the perpetrators remain hidden behind a veil of secrecy. The threat reaches all the way up to Hideo Yutani—the head of the newly merged Weyland-Yutani Corporation—when his daughter is kidnapped. Is the conspiracy the product of corporate espionage, or is it something even more sinister?

While Captain Jacob Branson and his wife Daniels prepare the ship, Security chief Dan Lopé signs a key member of his team, and together they seek to stop the technologically advanced saboteurs before anyone else is killed, and the ship itself is destroyed in orbit.

So it's in part focused around the supposed Colonial Marine vet, and there's likely no body horror creatures. That sounds unappealing to me.

I'm disappointed that the theatrical cut of Covenant glossed over Lope's romantic relationship. His SO barely got mourned - you'd only know-know they were a couple if you followed the marketing :/

And Damon Lindelof shared some thoughts on Covenant http://collider.com/damon-lindelof-alien-covenant-prometheus-interview/

I don’t know, I mean we weren’t necessarily talking about what the sequel to Prometheus would be as opposed to like where this journey was going to end up, and I think that the themes that Ridley was really interested in overlapped with themes that I was interested in, which is things that he had already explored in Blade Runner. He had always explained Prometheus to me as the marriage between Alien and Blade Runner because he was interested in this idea of creation and that there were three generations of creation. You have man and his creation, which are the synthetic beings, the androids, the robots, replicants, whatever you wanna call them depending on which Ridley movie you’re in. And then what’s the next level of that, which is who created man? So that search for God as it were to go and ask, ‘Why did you make me and to what end?’ was something that Ridley was interested in and was in Jon Spaihts’ draft long before I came along, and so that was the thing that I keyed into.

I think that one of the conversations that we had at the end of Prometheus is, Shaw and David have basically locked in on the coordinates of the planet where the Engineers came from. What does that place look like? Ridley called it ‘Paradise’. What happens when they land on that planet? It doesn’t feel like they’ve gotten there yet in Covenant, Covenant felt like it maybe was a detour prior to them arriving at the place of origin so I don’t want to spoil any place that he might still be wanting to go, but the conversations that he and I had about where the story goes next were largely about the place where the Engineers were from and less the events of Covenant.

It's not Lindelof's project anymore, so his interpretation of the current status of the story only means so much, but I thought that was interesting.

StoOgE

Also,

Did David kill all the Engineers in like 5 seconds? Or was that another "better" engineered race that was more recently created than the humans?

And the engineers are still missing? Or dead?

You've gotta be kidding me, the prequel book is about the covenant departure and not Shaw/David? Fucking Ridley.

It's frustrating, assuming the book has absolutely no Shaw and David hiding in there, but maybe this means it's more likely that we'll see Noomi Rapace onscreen again if the events for her character between Prometheus and Covenant aren't being covered in expanded universe material. A cameo/scene similar to Guy Pearce in the intro to Covenant maybe. After having the context of Covenant, I think it'd be hard to flesh out the hypothetical premise to fill a whole novel - there's only a dead world for Shaw to explore if David even allows her any autonomy.

Random thought, but it bothers me that you don't see Shaw's cross necklace in Covenant, unless my eyes just missed it. It's a part of the character in Prometheus. It's there in The Crossing. I really wish the film used that over a dog tag you never saw Shaw wear to mark that she'd been in the Juggernaut - have Walter recognize that Shaw was likely at the crash site from the photo of her and Holloway in the same space . Or you'd think David would be displaying the necklace at one of his memorials for her, or carrying it with him with how infatuated he was.

It also bothers me upon repeat viewings that Lope and friend have no reaction to being in the same room as vivisected Shaw. Albeit, they get attacked by a Facehugger and a mature Xeno there, but I thought it deserved at least a quick "wtf" double take. How didn't Daniels stumble across the corpse on her way to the scroll room? I didn't get a good feel for the layout of the place.

Lot of Shaw's presence in this film felt sloppy. You go from the extreme of Walter recapping who she is w/ visual aids for the audience who forgot or didn't do their homework to her egg producing corpse being ignored later.

Savitar

Also,

Did David kill all the Engineers in like 5 seconds? Or was that another "better" engineered race that was more recently created than the humans?

And the engineers are still missing? Or dead?

Are *ALL* the engineers dead? I doubt it. Those on that world, yeah they're dead but like the one that was asleep in the previous movie there are bound to be others out there. Maybe even ones that are still doing the flying around thing with a more technological/biological life style than the more "monk" looking version we saw on this world.

Sure, it could be that their race eventually decided to just settle down for a more simple life after various trials and tribulations but for now we're only left with speculation.

My question is, how did the black gunk all turn into little bugs that infect people. That was a liquid like substance previously and then, insectoid based? I was a bit confused on that. Sure you can say that he was analyzing the stuff during the trip but he only really began to fully experiment after arriving.

Jinroh

vivisected Shaw

It still doesn't make any sense that it's Shaw though. On David's artwork she's beheaded and even missing her jaw. The corpse showed in the movie looks nothing like that.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's stuff from a previous script they still deceided to include in the movie, just like the mural from Prometheus.

StoOgE

Are *ALL* the engineers dead? I doubt it. Those on that world, yeah they're dead but like the one that was asleep in the previous movie there are bound to be others out there. Maybe even ones that are still doing the flying around thing with a more technological/biological life style than the more "monk" looking version we saw on this world.

Sure, it could be that their race eventually decided to just settle down for a more simple life after various trials and tribulations but for now we're only left with speculation.

My question is, how did the black gunk all turn into little bugs that infect people. That was a liquid like substance previously and then, insectoid based? I was a bit confused on that. Sure you can say that he was analyzing the stuff during the trip but he only really began to fully experiment after arriving.

But like.. the Engineers are billions of years old. Are super advanced.. and one android killed them with a virus the engineers created?

But two plucky people in 24 hours of first encountering this with no idea the virus or protomorphs or xenomorphs even exist manage to escape?

That's kind of dumb.

Savitar

But like.. the Engineers are billions of years old. Are super advanced.. and one android killed them with a virus the engineers created?

But two plucky people in 24 hours of first encountering this with no idea the virus or protomorphs or xenomorphs even exist manage to escape?

That's kind of dumb.

Yeah, it's hard to argue against that.

Such questions is why so many are unhappy with the film. So many wanted to believe this movie would right the wrongs of the last. Instead.....

Kazuhira

My guess is that's just a colony and not their homeworld,not sure if that was enough black goo to cover the entire planet.
If that's their homeworld,it would be kinda strange that they have only one citadel and all engineers are concentrated in just one location of the world.
Edit: On second thoughts about the black goo,i forgot for a sec that it was a war ship heading to earth so i guess the payload was enough to do that.I still believe that's not their homeworld though.

Santar

As disappointing as it is, The planet in the movie IS the Engineer homeworld according to this book:

TmrWwrR.jpg

We've already been over this earlier in this very thread.

wilsonda

Really liked this movie, just had a hard time understanding where the 2nd xenomorph came from until I realized that the facehugger was able to do the implantation very quickly before it got removed from the guys face.

The twist at the end was good, even if you could see it coming a mile away. Was just happy that they did it rather than a happy ending. The reveal that it was actually David was pretty good with the callback to the cabin promise in the beginnning

jmood88

One of the things I liked was that the woman who locked the black lady in the med bay, despite getting the infected guy's blood directly in her own mouth, was killed soon after. Fuck that woman.

Just saw this with some friends. We were laughing so hard at so much of the stupid things everyone was doing. The whole medbay sequence was like something out of a cartoon given how slapsticky it was

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
At least Promotheus had that sense of wonder and discovery about it in the beginning before everyone act like a stupid idiot. This movie tho.... urgh.

Anyone else find it weird that Walter still required the things a human would? For instance, he would wear cold weather gear when going into cold places or use a flashlight. I almost assumed the androids had only the same strength and abilities as a human before I saw them tossing each other around like they weighed nothing. Basically I wouldn't have known they were androids if they hadn't explicitly said so, but maybe that was intentional? If I recall, it was either with Ash or Bishop, where the crew weren't explicitly told he was an android, but the crew here all knew David was

Number45

Anyone else find it weird that Walter still required the things a human would? For instance, he would wear cold weather gear when going into cold places or use a flashlight. I almost assumed the androids had only the same strength and abilities as a human before I saw them tossing each other around like they weighed nothing. Basically I wouldn't have known they were androids if they hadn't explicitly said so, but maybe that was intentional? If I recall, it was either with Ash or Bishop, where the crew weren't explicitly told he was an android, but the crew here all knew David was
Everyone excecpt Ripley seemed to know about Bishop, but I don't think anyone other than the captain knew about Ash - not 100% on that.

It was either in this or Prometheus that they (David IIRC) explained that androids will behave as much like humans as possible because it makes them easier to live with.

Rydeen

Finally saw this last night, it has a lot of the same problems as Prometheus but it didn't anger me as much, maybe because the movie wasn't as much of a disappointment, maybe because my expectations were firmly in-check, who knows.

It didn't suffer from the Lindelof syndrome of bringing up questions the film isn't ready to answer, we at least get an explanation for the black goo and what it actually is (which is exactly what we assumed it was), and we get a definite reason for why David is the way he is and does what he does. I thought it was lame how they dropped Shaw's story, but I was already expecting it.

After seeing the extra bits that Fox posted to Youtube, I really hope Ridley Scott edits them back in, as it would help the narrative flow tremendously.

Also I liked the score waaay more than the obvious, terribly overwrought score from Prometheus, I liked they worked Jerry Goldsmith's theme from the original movie in, and I liked the new leitmotif for the Xenomorph, very creepy and unnerving.

aznpxdd

Saw the Chinese version over the weekend (and the original cut in US last month) and yeah, it was pretty bad without the violence. To be fair they only cut out 6 minutes or so, but those 6 minutes include how the first 2 aliens were born and also the chest burster parts. Basically any scene that had a lot of blood were cut.

So in a recent interview, Ridley Scott says in reference to Covenant's sequel...
There will be three or four different players coming in to investigate. One of which will be the Engineers arriving back to find their planet decimated. I think those ships come and go on regular intervals. I see them as the gardeners of space.

I've lost the plot.

So there are off-planet Engineers beyond the ones that were on LV-223 and they'll remain players in this saga to some degree. Alright. There are the pieces for The Derelict - no regenerating Walter salvaging that crashed Juggernaut needed now.

Just waiting on Fox to announce something official on their end.

And - as I like to post - here are more scrapped Shaw concepts. Blanket NSFW again.

Dane Hallett untitled pieces - This reminds me a bit of the unused xeno Fifield concept.

Matt Hatton "The tumor garden"

Matton Hatton untitled

SMattera

This movie was worse than Prometheus.

Despite having stupid characters and a clever-not-that-clever plot, Prometheus had a consistent identity. This movie tried to be too many things at the same time and wasn't very good at any of them.

You have some Prometheus elements that could've been interesting, but they aren't given enough space or development. The captain's throwaway line about being resented for his faith comes to mind.

You have some Alien/Aliens elements, but they're sort of crammed in without adequate build-up/tension. And none of the characters are well developed.

Aggelos

??!!?

How would that even work? What happens to the last 30+ minutes? Who does Daniels fight on the cargo loader and what happens when they're back on the covenant?

Bizarre.

I'd love to watch this version. What's the run time?

The film will be released in Mainland China on June 16, 2017, but is trimmed by 6 minutes, totaling 116 minutes. It is very likely that the move was due to usual censorship by the State Administration of Press, Publication, Radio, Film and Television, because of the monstrous violence depicted in the movie.

Alien: Covenant will be released in Japan on September 15, 2017.

http://chinafilminsider.com/china-censored-version-alien-covenant-next-no-alien/

Maybe we should wait for the home release, with the hope that there might be an extended cut. The home release was set quite back this year, to be precise in December.

Home release of the film has been slated for mailing of pre-orders on December 31, 2017 in three formats, including DVD, Blu-Ray, and 4K formats, as well as digital downloads

Toxi

Banned
And - as I like to post - here are more scrapped Shaw concepts. Blanket NSFW again.

Dane Hallett untitled pieces - This reminds me a bit of the unused xeno Fifield concept.

Matt Hatton "The tumor garden"

Matton Hatton untitled
The last one looks like something from Darkseed 2.

I mean, yeah, it's based on Geiger, but still, just looking at that image made me think of Mike Dawson failing at life.

Also it's bizarre how much concept art was made for something that is given so little fanfare in the movie.

Guys, not to be a downer, but we're not getting a sequel to this now that the box office receipts are pretty much in.

Game over, man.

It'll get a sequel, but Fox is going to trim Scott's budget, would be the case most likely.

Which could be a good thing. If Scott is only allowed to spend, say, $40-60m, maybe it'll cause him to toss out most of this shit nobody wants to see anyway and just make a straight space horror movie. Open it up with a "Note: David died on his way back to his home planet" title card and have Daniels and Tennessee wake up due to a computer error or something. Cue spookiness.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
But they dont look like the Engineer in the previous movie

Sure they do, they are the same bald albino giants. Were you expecting them to all have the same face as that one guy from Prometheus?

I would love to be a fly on the wall in the Fox boardroom when Ridley is pitching another $100m movie with the Engineers. Never going to happen.

Starfield

I still don't get David's intentions. They just don't make sense even when explained.

Theory time: Maybe the Engineers somehow knew that their own creation (humanity) would be their indirect seal of extinction and thats why they wanted to kill humanity, self defence. Since humanity creaede David and David destroys everything to create his own "perfect" species.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
The Alien universe mirrors Weezer's carrer.

Two amazing first films(albums)and then they just destroy their legacy with everything they release afterwards, as if they lost the skill to make anything of value.

Covenant is fucking terrible. Ridley Scott should not be allowed near a camera/script/movie set, etc ever again.

Top Bottom