• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation details surface on Xbox Games Store

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Whats wrong with shooting soldiers and androids? You can still create an oppressive survival based game with that. Too many aliens removes their sense of dread and mystery.

"Let me check the vents brah"

I imagine the game designers have thought of this.

"Okay team, here's the situation. There's an unknown jam in the air vent that we need to maintenance, or we'll all die of CO2 asphyxiation in the next hour. Vents are only big enough for one person to fit at a time, and there are three 6-way intersections on the way. We also need someone in the sub basement to cycle the power off and on, so our vent hopper isn't killed as soon as the block is cleared. We also need someone to watch our supplies in the medical bay so those crazy hobos don't rob us, and someone to monitor the video feed for the whole group. Oh, and we only have one motion detector, one handgun, one crowbar, one flashlight, and one grenade. Want to draw straws?"

The lone xenomorph has to be the source of unease and dread. It sounds like they're pushing it as the focal point of tension, and that would be perfect in my opinion.

They have to have other enemies in between sequences and time spent with the alien. The soldiers/clones would serve as obstacles and general baddies, while the xenomorph would be saved to give you those 'oh shit' moments.

i-Lo

Let's wait and see what it's all about first. Hard to tell the details from where we stand now.

Certainly looks pretty :)

bV5Eq9z.jpg

WteIP2O.jpg

PfiUxyi.jpg

X0FCvEw.jpg

Looks supremely supersampled. I thought the first two shots were from a movie.

What multiplatform games from Western developers don't have PC versions these days (other than Destiny, I guess)? I wouldn't worry.

Few but what I mean is creative assembly makes almost all of their games pc only.

They have been making the pc only fantastic total war series for years.

I imagine the game designers have thought of this.

"Okay team, here's the situation. There's an unknown jam in the air vent that we need to maintenance, or we'll all die of CO2 asphyxiation in the next hour. Vents are only big enough for one person to fit at a time, and there are three 6-way intersections on the way. We also need someone in the sub basement to cycle the power off and on, so our vent hopper isn't killed as soon as the block is cleared. We also need someone to watch our supplies in the medical bay so those crazy hobos don't rob us, and someone to monitor the video feed for the whole group. Oh, and we only have one motion detector, one handgun, one crowbar, one flashlight, and one grenade. Want to draw straws?"

Take my 60$ if it's that good

Sub_Level

Have you seen Aliens?

Its my most watched and beloved movie. That was a group of protagonists and believe it or not theres only four sequences with xenmorphs: the initial skirmish, the facehuggers, the ambush, and the whole queen sequence. Cameron also made it a point to never show them for too long. Tried to keep them in the shadows. The colonist massacre and the aliens trying to find ways into medical are left to the imagination.

The release date isn't the game's release date lol, it's not releasing tomorrow, that seems like some sort of embargo or just a typo. I'm not sure how the online features give off the vibe that it's just a downloadable game...

There have been plenty of GI covers to break in new IP. Just 2 months ago we had Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor.

They are going to Beyonce it. Tell no one. Drop it out of no where. Millions sold! lol

Whompa

On paper: OMG OMG yes yes yes this is amazing

Potential reality: Wow this is garbage...

Hopefully the devs really took a real hard look at what Alien is.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Its my most watched and beloved movie. That was a group of protagonists and believe it or not theres only four sequences with xenmorphs: the initial skirmish, the facehuggers, the ambush, and the whole queen sequence. Cameron also made it a point to never show them for too long. Tried to keep them in the shadows. The colonist massacre and the aliens trying to find ways into medical are left to the imagination.

Unless you watch the infinitely inferior Director's Cut :(
Seriously, only decent thing about the DC was learning a bit more about Amanda.

Beelzebubs

I actually have high hopes for this game. Really like Creative Assembly as a dev and it's hopefully PC focused.

If it launches anything like Aliens: CM did though, I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

On paper: OMG OMG yes yes yes this is amazing

Potential reality: Wow this is garbage...

Hopefully the devs really took a real hard look at what Alien is.

Well, I believe superannuation reported that the announcement was delayed from a scheduled E3 2013 reveal. Can't be a bad thing, really.

OneUh8

I sure hope it is not exclusive to ms. Please come to PS4! Looks awesome in those pics. We really need a good Alien game, I have been waiting forever lol

Whats wrong with shooting soldiers and androids? You can still create an oppressive survival based game with that. Too many aliens removes their sense of dread and mystery.

Alien Trilogy seemed to do alright with including the synths and Company men. I think Alien Resurrection (the game) also showed that having a lot of Aliens doesn't remove the dread. Poor execution on all the elements in the game and a glitchy product however will.

Sub_Level

Alien Trilogy seemed to do alright with including the synths and Company men. I think Alien Resurrection (the game) also showed that having a lot of Aliens doesn't remove the dread. Poor execution on all the elements in the game and a glitchy product however will.

A lot of the dread in Resurrection came from the controls and the unforgiving facehuggers. Fukin spooky game tho. One might even go so far as to call it 2spooky.

Aliens: Colonial Marines was revealed by gameinformer and then took 5 billion years to come out as the garbage it was. Using Ripley's daughter as the lead character is absurd but oh well.

There was a resurrection game? Not played that.

It was pretty decent I suppose for a licensed game at the time (PS1). Had a great atmosphere, introduced facehuggers impregnation in gameplay to where you had to find surgical kits to remove the embryo before it killed you, and the Aliens were fairly tough to deal with given how the game sent them at you.

However, as Sub_Level noted, the controls weren't that great, and made everything far more difficult in a poor fashion. Still, if you like Aliens and have a PS1 or a PS2/PS3 capable of PS1 playback, I'd recommend it given what it tried to execute and almost succeeded at. More than what I can say for the last AvP and Colonial Marines.

Aliens: Colonial Marines was revealed by gameinformer and then took 5 billion years to come out as the garbage it was. Using Ripley's daughter as the lead character is absurd but oh well.

To be fair, it was nearly an entirely different game back then from what I recall reading. The set-up was the same, but everything else...

Silky

Banned
I hope there isn't an emphasis on shootbang and more of a focus on survival horror

Is this CA's first shooter?

Top Bottom