• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

frontovik

Banned
Thanks! Two more questions:

The places it will appear are random, right? Can't I exploit this by reloading the game until is doesn't show up?

How do I throw the flare?

If it's scripted to show up in an area like the
Medical Bay
, then there's no way to prevent it from showing up. Otherwise, just avoid making noise by not engaging in combat & refrain from sprinting.

You should be able to aim where you want your flare to land once you activate it. Just play around with the controls.

viveks86

This game is so good! So good that it's keeping me away from starting Bloodborne. And it looks absolutely stunning!!!

Click to view full size

AA is rather lacking on PS4 and movement feels a little clunky, but they've nailed the Alien/70's Sci-fi aesthetic perfectly. For me, it's the most genuine Alien franchise experience since the first two movies.

AA is rather lacking on PS4 and movement feels a little clunky, but they've nailed the Alien/70's Sci-fi aesthetic perfectly. For me, it's the most genuine Alien franchise experience since the first two movies.

It's the CA that gives the game a rather rough feeling. I honestly feel it suits the game because it is supposed to be set in the Late 70's, early 80's.

heringer

I'm not sure how I feel about the game yet. I find it somewhat frustrating and exausting, yet I kind of want to keep playing to see what happens.

There's one thing the game does well but it won't please everybody: usually in horror games (or any games with combat really) when you kill all of the enemies you have a feeling of safety. You know that setpiece is over and, at least for a litle while, you can breath.

That rarely happens in AI. You always feel threatened and hunted. To the point of making you feel mentally tired really fast.

It certainly isn't for everybody. I'm still deciding if it's for me.

I'm not sure how I feel about the game yet. I find it somewhat frustrating and exausting, yet I kind of want to keep playing to see what happens.

There's one thing the game does well but it won't please everybody: usually in horror games (or any games with combat really) when you kill all of the enemies you have a feeling of safety. You know that setpiece is over and, at least for a litle while, you can breath.

That rarely happens in AI. You always feel threatened and hunted. To the point of making you feel mentally tired really fast.

Totally agree with this. I'm at about mission 7 and it's slow-going as well as mentally draining. I don't "enjoy" playing Isolation as I'm constantly tense and on edge.

It's the best Alien video game by a country mile.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Totally agree with this. I'm at about mission 7 and it's slow-going as well as mentally draining. I don't "enjoy" playing Isolation as I'm constantly tense and on edge.

THe problem is that you're probably trying to take it TOO slow. Alien Isolation is a much easier (and better game) when you take some chances.

Calabi

I agree with both your comments. The Alien hangs around you like a bad smell, I think they over did it in that aspect. Like it always knows where you are but is just pretending not to.

I dont have much patience and its difficult because I have to go this way but the alien is that way, and every time I go near the door the Alien hears it open and comes back to hassle me.

I do like it though the visuals, the sounds its all top notch. Just not sure if I will make it to the end.

heringer

I agree with both your comments. The Alien hangs around you like a bad smell, I think they over did it in that aspect. Like it always knows where you are but is just pretending not to.

I dont have much patience and its difficult because I have to go this way but the alien is that way, and every time I go near the door the Alien hears it open and comes back to hassle me.

I do like it though the visuals, the sounds its all top notch. Just not sure if I will make it to the end.

Yeah, I feel the exact same way.

I started playing Alien: Isolation for the first time this week. I ended up so stressed trying to avoid the Alien in mission 5 that I couldn't figure out where to go after I found the white board with Dr. Morley's patients on it. Maybe it's easier to play this game after a few beers.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I started playing Alien: Isolation for the first time this week. I ended up so stressed trying to avoid the Alien in mission 5 that I couldn't figure out where to go after I found the white board with Dr. Morley's patients on it. Maybe it's easier to play this game after a few beers.

As long as you don't run, some times the best thing you can do is say "fuck it" and go to the next objective.

Keep going. It's really worth getting past chapter 15 or so. Lots of excellent story stuff.

And take chances! Use items etc

heringer

I do take chances quite a bit. If I notice it won't go away for a while I just buck up and go straight to the mission objective trying to avoid it.

I just got the flamethrower and this bad boy sure is usefull. I'll probably avoid relying on it too much though, since I'm still on mission 10.

Slowly chipping away at it.

I love when the game throws humans into the mix. It's fun to fuck with them in a place the xenomorph is in.

I must say I don't really know much about what is going on in the story. It's really hard to pay attention to the logs and stuff like that knowing the damn thing could just pop in.

Ghazi

Is Nightmare -> Hard a much easier transition. Having difficulty progressing quickly, would rather play Hard at this point, but I have to start over. I just met Morley.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Is Nightmare -> Hard a much easier transition. Having difficulty progressing quickly, would rather play Hard at this point, but I have to start over. I just met Morley.
It is silly to play on Nightmare your first time around. Nightmare should absolutely only be played by people who are very familiar with the level layout and have done playthroughs on lower difficulties and know their way around.

You're absolutely nuts.

As long as you don't run, some times the best thing you can do is say "fuck it" and go to the next objective.

That's a good point. My biggest problem is that I keep missing the obvious like the ladder that lets you escape the flames in mission six.

I'm loving the game though, halfway through mission 10.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
That's a good point. My biggest problem is that I keep missing the obvious like the ladder that lets you escape the flames in mission six.

I'm loving the game though, halfway through mission 10.

Even on hard, most of the time if the alien wasn't in view I would just walk to my next objective. If I heard the alien drop, I would duck and find something to obscure the view.

There are also several instances in the game where you can exploit the scripting. Chapter 5 is brutally tough for most people, but its actually a very easy chapter if you know the trick to just run past the alien.

Also, not once on any of my playthroughs did I ever hide in a locker. Complete waste of time.

heringer

Even on hard, most of the time if the alien wasn't in view I would just walk to my next objective. If I heard the alien drop, I would duck and find something to obscure the view.

There are also several instances in the game where you can exploit the scripting. Chapter 5 is brutally tough for most people, but its actually a very easy chapter if you know the trick to just run past the alien.

Also, not once on any of my playthroughs did I ever hide in a locker. Complete waste of time.

Chapter 5 was easy for me (except for the part with the humans). Chapter 6 is a bitch though.

It gets a little better after that.

Calabi

I feel like I've had enough. I'm on mission seventeen and the developers are being arsehole's, you have to jump through sixteen hoops every time. Why? WHy?, did they not get normal people to play test it? did no one say its a bit much and a bit predictable, and you cant keep escalating things like that. I've had enough.

17 has that really hard section in the
holdout, right?
It took me 4 or 5 tries to get the timing right on that one.

Chapter 5 was easy for me (except for the part with the humans). Chapter 6 is a bitch though.

It gets a little better after that.

I enjoyed 5. I ran by the humies on my 2nd attempt. When the Alien came I tried to be super sneaky and ended up cornering myself in that 2nd floor vent near the elevator.

6 has that *excellent* moment where you first have
to enter a code
while the Alien is wandering around near you.

Ghazi

It is silly to play on Nightmare your first time around. Nightmare should absolutely only be played by people who are very familiar with the level layout and have done playthroughs on lower difficulties and know their way around.

You're absolutely nuts.

Any game I play, I always pick the hardest difficulty the first time through. Guess it was too much, this time. I'll restart.

Any game I play, I always pick the hardest difficulty the first time through. Guess it was too much, this time. I'll restart.

Hard is the original hardest difficulty. Nightmare was added in a patch along with the novice(?) difficulty. Nightmare is like an extra treat for weirdos who like moar suffering after beating game on hard. :)

Note: I love the game and when I say suffering I mean in a positive way

Calabi

I gotta say I hate the ending. It's the most non urgent predictable convaluted bullshit ending I've seen in a while.
Watching the Alien pop out for the sixteenth time(surprise, its not a surprise after that many times), how is she able to escape being cocooned, she's probably impregnated, then an alien somehow got on the other ship. I never felt any tension in the end because the overdid it, they fucked it.

You have to go back, you have to go round, you have to go back, you have to go round, you have to press these six buttons to progress, the space station is about to fall into the gas giant but there's no urgency to it. It's like they never learned anything from movies or didn't analyse the pacing at all and just wanted to say fuck you to the player in the end

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Hard is the original hardest difficulty. Nightmare was added in a patch along with the novice(?) difficulty. Nightmare is like an extra treat for weirdos who like moar suffering after beating game on hard. :)

In the case of Alien Isolation Nightmare is absolutely not recommended for your first playthrough. It requires absolute knowledge of the level layout and where to go. You can definetly play they game on hard on your first playthrough. No question.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
did anyone else hear the cat?

I swear the first playthrough I did I heard a cat near the office you go through to get the big wrench that opens door braces. so, before you see the alien and before you meet the first human.

but second run, I couldn't trigger it. did I make it up?

strafer

I swear the first playthrough I did I heard a cat near the office you go through to get the big wrench that opens door braces. so, before you see the alien and before you meet the first human.

Nope, but now I gotta play again to find out. :p

shiba5

You heard correctly. There's a cat carrier too if I recall.

Ploribus

Banned
When you're in the locker and it tells you to lean back and hold your breath, do you have to hold RMB? I'm not really sure what happened but Ripley kept gasping strangely

Also, is there a way to read notes you've collected from the PC's without just sort of... sitting there out in the open? I want to read some of the fluffy stuff but this alien fool keeps tromping around

Absolutely love this game so far

Ghazi

In the case of Alien Isolation Nightmare is absolutely not recommended for your first playthrough. It requires absolute knowledge of the level layout and where to go. You can definetly play they game on hard on your first playthrough. No question.

Yeah, I knew it was patched in (part of the reason I chose it), I always love a challenge. I started my Hard playthrough this morning and progressed almost to where I already was, Hard is too easy :( God, I'm swimming in supplies.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
When you're in the locker and it tells you to lean back and hold your breath, do you have to hold RMB? I'm not really sure what happened but Ripley kept gasping strangely

Also, is there a way to read notes you've collected from the PC's without just sort of... sitting there out in the open? I want to read some of the fluffy stuff but this alien fool keeps tromping around

STAY.

OUT.

OF.

THE.

LOCKERS.

They are far more trouble than their worth.

shiba5

If you hold your breath too long, she gasps and passes out.

You can read all the notes in your log. The game is paused while you're in the menu.

(And yeah, stay out of the lockers. They are traps.)

The game crashed while loading mission 11, so I'll have to replay the section where Waits jettisons the lab and Ripley has to pressurize the airlock and escape. It's only the second crash I've experienced while playing on PC, but still...balls.

STAY.

OUT.

OF.

THE.

LOCKERS.

They are far more trouble than their worth.

Seriously. I almost never stayed in lockers and if you really have to hide it is best to do so under desks so a quick getaway is present when the alien passes you.

Keep on moving is the key. Never stay still in one spot for too long. If it passes you, just go. Do not be afraid if it sees you, because it is best to do over one scenario within' 5 minutes instead of carefully hiding and still being spotted in 30 minutes. It removes the frustration.

Ploribus

Banned
Yeah, I'm not having too much trouble with it, I've just had a couple situations where the Alien would move differently than I thought he would and jumped in the locker because it was the only thing around.

Just got through the first flamethrower segment and I'm pretty much out of fuel already haha... I watched that GDC thing, really cool.

How long do you think it will take before we see another game with the aliens IP?
Is Sega sort of the dictator of that right now?

Yeah, I'm not having too much trouble with it, I've just had a couple situations where the Alien would move differently than I thought he would and jumped in the locker because it was the only thing around.

Just got through the first flamethrower segment and I'm pretty much out of fuel already haha... I watched that GDC thing, really cool.

How long do you think it will take before we see another game with the aliens IP?
Is Sega sort of the dictator of that right now?

A sequel is almost definitely happening since it probably sold over a million if not close to 2 million.

I had to turn the music off towards the end of mission 16,
I was having trouble hearing the Alien as it stalks you after the spacewalk.
I love this game and I want to play through it again on hard but I'll probably keep the music muted for the whole play through.

strafer

I had to turn the music off towards the end of mission 16,
I was having trouble hearing the Alien as it stalks you after the spacewalk.
I love this game and I want to play through it again on hard but I'll probably keep the music muted for the whole play through.

I actually turned off the music completely for my playthrough.

It was awesome.

ruxtpin

Banned
wtf - I've just come across a game breaking glitch in chapter 16. The last door before the tram to take me to 17 is locked. I've gone back to 15, tried exiting the area to come back, restarted system, nothing... How is this shit not fixed 6 months after release.

Just finished this game. Amazing experience. Played it only with head phones and mostly at night. Most tense gaming experience I've had in a long long time, Game scared me quit a bit. Just as good as PT. I think these new consoles can do survival horror that really immerses you.

As a big fan of the first movie more than the second I love they looked to that rather than aliens like many of the other games based on the movies have done.

Top Bottom