• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien Swarm |OT| - Free Co-op Multiplayer from Valve

krzy123

I also had trouble getting into games last night. It took me about 20 minutes to find one, whenever i created a game nobody joined either. I noticed that at times my steam connection dropped a couple of times as well, it would be nice if they added a notification about that, at least from the overlay.

coopolon

dygiT said:
I love how they scattered PDAs and put emails on the computers but there is no time to read them.

Seriously! Whenever we find a PDA we're trying to figure out what the heck the purpose of it is as we're getting swarmed by aliens.

crpav

Wow, talk about hard with only 2 players. A friend and I played together last night and found out how hard this game is. Fun but hard.

dygiT said:
I love how they scattered PDAs and put emails on the computers but there is no time to read them.

It seems they added a lot of elements (the pds, emails, bosses in the editor) that aren't really being used.

Maybe they put them in for modders to use?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The PDAs sitting around is a really weird design choice as the game is fairly fast paced and there are always Swarm spawning (there is a good chance your squad will have to keep an eye out while you read it).

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Stallion Free said:
The PDAs sitting around is a really weird design choice as the game is fairly fast paced and there are always Swarm spawning (there is a good chance your squad will have to keep an eye out while you read it).

"Hang on a sec, guys! I'mma read this random PDA lying around here and not be credit to team for the next 3 minutes":lol

Jim Stark

Neo Member
I think the PDAs could be fun for modders or the future Valve campaigns if they contain passcodes for the Tech doors. I think being forced to fight off a swarm with 3 players as your teammate frantically scours the PDA for a passcode could add a great deal to the difficulty and fun.

Edit - I know that happens at the doors anyway, but in those situations you can count the swarm only coming from 1 or 2 directions. If they have a PDA in the middle of the floor next to a body in a big room and the swarm comes from all sides? Awesome!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Jim Stark said:
I know that happens at the doors anyway, but in those situations you can count the swarm only coming from 1 or 2 directions. If they have a PDA in the middle of the floor next to a body in a big room and the swarm comes from all sides? Awesome!
There are already events that have swarms coming from all sides while someone hacks a computer (level 3?)

Jim Stark

Neo Member
Stallion Free said:
There are already events that have swarms coming from all sides while someone hacks a computer (level 3?)

My brain is failing to remember that level, but if you're hacking a door couldn't you just put your backs to it so that you have a safe side? It's pretty easy to organize public players against a wall or door, swarming them in the middle of a wide open room is another story. They will panic and separate, which makes it more fun for me haha

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Jim Stark said:
My brain is failing to remember that level, but if you're hacking a door couldn't you just put your backs to it so that you have a safe side? It's pretty easy to organize public players against a wall or door, swarming them in the middle of a wide open room is another story. They will panic and separate, which makes it more fun for me haha
Nah, this is one that pretty much requires a turret and it definitely causes pubs to fall apart. It has Swarm coming in more entries than there are people in your group and there are those ranged spitters lobbing spit in from the back.

But I would prefer what you are suggesting because some people utterly fail at hacking and hopefully the reading data logs would be a bit easier (as in I won't have to sit their for 10 minutes as the one tech figures out hacking for the first time).

Jim Stark

Neo Member
Stallion Free said:
Nah, this is one that pretty much requires a turret and it definitely causes pubs to fall apart. It has Swarm coming in more entries than there are people in your group and there are those ranged spitters lobbing spit in from the back.

But I would prefer what you are suggesting because some people utterly fail at hacking and hopefully the reading data logs would be a bit easier (as in I won't have to sit their for 10 minutes as the one tech figures out hacking for the first time).

Ohhh, now I remember what you're talking about. I usually hop on the turret and we do fine. The problems arise when I let other people do that.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Jim Stark said:
Ohhh, now I remember what you're talking about. I usually hop on the turret and we do fine. The problems arise when I let other people do that.
Still thinking about the wrong level, but that's ok.

mrgone

I'm really loving this game too, but it desperately needs a proper server browser. Matchmaking is painfully broken in its current state, and openserverbrower needs a difficulty listing. Getting into a public game at this point is frustrating at best.

Also, please please add player muting. Holy shit.

mrgone

gregor7777 said:
I believe there is a console command for that

Ahh, found it. "voice_show_mute" to get the player list and numbers, and "voice_mute <number>" to mute. I'm still a little in awe that (Valve of all) people are still releasing voice chat enabled games that don't have a simple way to mute people, free or not.

Sciz

Two-man really is the best way to play Normal difficulty. Running around with half the firepower and resources balances out the rather puny bug attacks nicely.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Yeah, that two man was fun. I didn't find the limit to class choice to be particularly annoying either.

Though it must've sucked being the only guy defending while I have my face inside a computer terminal. :lol

Jenga

Banned
Lyphen said:
Yeah, that two man was fun. I didn't find the limit to class choice to be particularly annoying either.

Though it must've sucked being the only guy defending while I have my face inside a computer terminal. :lol
pretty easy on normal w/ a sentry

especially if the dude brought a damage amp or one of those mini tesla coils

Sciz

Lyphen said:

The class-restricted equipment is minimal enough that you have a good variety of combat options no matter who you're playing as, which is nice.

Soloing swarm hordes is tricky, but that's why it's fun. :D

Jenga said:
pretty easy on normal w/ a sentry

especially if the dude brought a damage amp or one of those mini tesla coils
Lyphen with the tesla gun, ammo reserves, and adrenaline. Myself with varying primary weapons (for the one particular hack I think he means it was the marksman rifle) which eventually settled on the flamethrower, med beacons, and freeze grenades.

Sentries suck all the fun out of killing things.

Blizzard

Banned
Sciz said:
Two-man really is the best way to play Normal difficulty. Running around with half the firepower and resources balances out the rather puny bug attacks nicely.
But what if you suck like my four-man team on normal and die a lot anyway? WHAT THEN?! :lol

Sciz

Blizzard said:
But what if you suck like my four-man team on normal and die a lot anyway? WHAT THEN?! :lol
Stick together and stop charging headfirst into parasite hatcheries you rubes.

Wthermans

Banned
Anyone else LOVE the custom soundtracks? I just wish they played more often than the crescendo events. Killing a swarm of bugs while QOTSA - River in the Road plays is awesome.

Teknoman

Wthermans said:
Anyone else LOVE the custom soundtracks? I just wish they played more often than the crescendo events. Killing a swarm of bugs while QOTSA - River in the Road plays is awesome.

Yeah, kinda wish music-gaf would undertake an alien swarm project like they did for Wipeout HD.

Sciz

Wthermans said:
I've just started playing around with it a bit. Wish it went all the way and let you replace all of the music, or choose specific tracks for specific maps.

Teknoman

I'd like to see some sort of...1800's monster hunting mod, with crossbows,crosses,stakes,silver bullets, etc. Havent seen anything like that in awhile.

Had to run the restore disc on my computer about a week ago. Installed Steam this morning and now I'm installing Alien Swarm. Why not?

Threi

notag
Wthermans said:
Yeah nothing like Guile's theme to keep you motivated :D

Nabs

Yeah, Ken's theme over here. I love when the event starts and music starts playing. Feels good.

monocromo

anyone wants to play..? We are 2 people, third stage, normal dificulty. Its pretty hard for only two, ha.

steam Id is simiocromo.

Sciz

In the immortal words of Serious Sam:

2yuygx5.png

YEEEEEEEEEEE-HAW

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Sciz said:
In the immortal words of Serious Sam:

2yuygx5.png

YEEEEEEEEEEE-HAW
Who's awesome? We're awesome. Though I think I prematurely knocked off a few years of my life thanks to that last level...

Teknoman said:
I'd like to see some sort of...1800's monster hunting mod, with crossbows,crosses,stakes,silver bullets, etc. Havent seen anything like that in awhile.

Oooohh... a "The Chaos Engine" mod would be pretty fucking awesome.

ACE 1991

I asked this before, but any word on how easy this game is to run? My laptop, while not a gaming machine by any stretch of the imagination, can run HL 2 ep. 2 fairly well so I´m curious how this will perform given it´s on an updated engine.

Curufinwe

My desktop runs HL 2 ep 2 at max settings, but I had to dial my video settings way down on Alien Swarm to stop it overheating my 8800 GTS.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Curufinwe said:
My desktop runs HL 2 ep 2 at max settings, but I had to dial my video settings way down on Alien Swarm to stop it overheating my 8800 GTS.
Well it's running on the newest revision of the Source Engine, not the revision that Ep2 is on.

Threi

notag
so apparently there is a way to move the active reload bar below your character, anyone know how to do it?

*edit* found it:

Code:
asw_fast_reload_under_marine 1

Threi said:
so apparently there is a way to move the active reload bar below your character, anyone know how to do it?

*edit* found it:

Code:

I wonder why they thought to add a command to move it but didn't implement it. Seems kinda random.

DieH@rd

Banned
Threi said:

*edit* found it:

Code:

Thanks!

Also, are there any good custom maps out there?

Mrbob

Curufinwe said:

I've had this game lock up my computer twice now. Q9550 w/ GTX 260. I check my CPU temps after lock up and they are fine, but it is my GPU temps which are going way up. I cranked the fan up too...going to have to see if there is some dust around my card which is heating things up.

Top Bottom