• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens and UFOs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't believe in aliens anymore, and I think it's kind of funny how widespread the belief is considering the evidence available (basically none) Questionable home video recordings and anecdotes are about all there are. Individual accounts are unreliable, and image media is a poor evidential basis. Are things in the sky now and then that we can't identify? Of course. Aliens? Show me the proof.
I don't believe we've been visited by aliens yet and there's the likelihood that we may never see any if we consider Fermi's paradox.

I was simply talking about how I would react if such a thing were to happen. Nothing strange or ridiculous about my post.

Last edited:

desertdroog

I 100% agree, hence with the rendlesham recordings i posted, people still won't believe it, despite him saying there is a ufo hovering above the base, with a beam of light hitting the floor, and people are not interested. But at the same time nonsensical explanations are no more convincing to the witness, than the sighting is to the skeptic.
I'm going to need to see an alien with my own eyes to believe that Aliens exist and visit us.

I am not going to say what a person said they saw, they didn't see. I am stating that I don't necessarily believe what they say they saw, until I see it.

Last edited:
I don't believe in aliens anymore, and I think it's kind of funny how widespread the belief is considering the evidence available (basically none) Questionable home video recordings and anecdotes are about all there are. Individual accounts are unreliable, and image media is a poor evidential basis. Are things in the sky now and then that we can't identify? Of course. Aliens? Show me the proof.
I don't know about visiting but I have a hard time believing we're the only intelligent life in a mind-numbingly vast universe.

I honestly think it would be stranger if we were the only ones here.

That doesn't mean we may ever meet one soon. Hell, intelligent life could be so rare that there's only an average of one or two species per galaxy.

But I digress.

Mochilador

Just a reminder that UFO doesn't mean alien. UFOs are real, no doubt, but they are just that, UFOs. We don't know what they are.
Here in Brazil we have some major cases involving the military. These cases are well documented, including hundreds of photos, all available on our national archive and just recently on the internet.
The Air Force is usually more "UFO friendly". They already have spoken freely about it in the past like during the May 19, 1986 sightings (aka "Official UFO Night").

Just a reminder that UFO doesn't mean alien. UFOs are real, no doubt, but they are just that, UFOs. We don't know what they are.
Here in Brazil we have some major cases involving the military. These cases are well documented, including hundreds of photos, all available on our national archive and just recently on the internet.
The Air Force is usually more "UFO friendly". They already have spoken freely about it in the past like during the May 19, 1986 sightings (aka "Official UFO Night").
I think most older UFO sightings were prototype drones or drone tests by military before anyone knew what a drone was.

Have you seen these light shows drones put on nowadays? It's spectacular and looks a lot like some "spacecraft" defying physics as they dance around. I think the "tic-tac" video shot by pilots might just be a new prototype secret drone but tbh I haven't delved too deep into that. George Knapp likes to talk about that a lot.

I think Chinese lanterns are another. They look like dancing orbs and all.

There is some legit weird stuff but a lot of it is word of mouth so it's subject to serious scrutiny.

MilkyJoe

I'm going to need to see an alien with my own eyes to believe that Aliens exist and visit us.

I am not going to say what a person said they saw, they didn't see. I am stating that I don't necessarily believe what they say they saw, until I see it.

No one will. And even if they did they'd convince themselves it was something else. Most people are massive fannies and couldn't live with the knowledge.

Bigrx1

Banned
I don't know where I found it but there was a graph I found once that compared UFO and alien abduction reports to the timeline that X-files was popular on tv and they went hand in hand pretty much. Also spikes during other sci-fi releases like War of the Worlds and other things. Almost never hear about alien abduction stories anymore, the whole ufology thing seems to just be dying off for the most part.

MilkyJoe

I don't know where I found it but there was a graph I found once that compared UFO and alien abduction reports to the timeline that X-files was popular on tv and they went hand in hand pretty much. Also spikes during other sci-fi releases like War of the Worlds and other things. Almost never hear about alien abduction stories anymore, the whole ufology thing seems to just be dying off for the most part.

TV show about UFOs comes on tv

People

283845517030211.png

Age of the Smart phone

looking-at-your-phone.jpg

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Yall should stop thinking aliens, as in extra-terrestrials, and start thinking Djinn, as in extra-dimensional travelers that have been coming here forever and have been equated to demons, Genies, grey aliens, Fey Folk, black eyed children, men in black, etc. These assholes have been witnessed for pretty much all of known history.

Or you can finally realize we live in a simulation and the laws of physics can be broken if you are the "Players" or NPCs that have figured out the cheats.

Iirc one of the biggest ufo flaps was in the 70s and 80s.

Ufology is dying off because big names in the field are literally also dying off. Stanton Friedman, one of the best, died last year.

Tom DeLonge and others are trying to be the new face of ufologuly. George Knapp is fortunately still around.

Fwiw part of X-Files popularity arose from the ufo flap and talk in the 80s. Bob Lazar and others were big talk in the mid and late 80s. George Knapp came on the scene. Area 51. Art Bell. Etc. X-Files rode on that.

The United States government acquired an extraterrestrial space craft at Roswell. After that there were a string of additional crash recoveries. The evidence is there for anyone who has the time to do the research. Check out the Wilson document that describes a meeting between Adm. Thomas Wilson and Dr. Eric Davis. Dr. Hal Puthoff recently confirmed that the meeting did take place.

Go to the above link and read the most important UFO document to leak in years.

It describes a meeting between Dr. Eric Davis of Earthtech (now he works for Aerospace Corporation) and Adm. Thomas Wilson. In short, Adm. Wilson was told about multiple Special Access Programs by Dr. Steven Greer that were working on reverse engineering technology. He looked for the programs, called up some colleagues such as the former Sec. of Defense, was told where to look for them in the records of the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition and Technology, found them, demanded access, flew to meet three "gatekeepers", was denied access, was told that they did indeed have a craft not made by human hands, and then went back to the Pentagon. When he told the Senior Review Group of the Special Access Program Oversight Committee about the rogue programs, his career was threatened.

Just remember that what the gatekeepers told him about having no success reverse engineering is a LIE. They said that because if they had admitted to him they had reverse engineered ET craft he would have never let the issue go.

StormCell

Evidence or not, why does anyone ever think they know enough about anything to be certain about anything. For instance, something is impossible according to our limited knowledge of science and physics, and then we learn that it's not the case or not always the case. We've spent our entire human existence learning about and trying to understand the universe, and we still know so very little about it. It's still very possible that we're living in a very sophisticated simulation--this shouldn't rock your world or shake you to the core. We're living in some kind of reality that is as interesting or uninteresting as you want to believe it is. I believe that literally anything is possible. I can't rule out much of anything, personally, because I lack enough understanding.

There are some very good explanations for why we're not finding evidence of other intelligence beings around us. One of those explanations involves the overwhelming size of the universe in conjunction with the overwhelming expanse of time. Existence is one big hash table, and the odds of having two intelligent races on nearby planets in relatively the same time period is possibly an incredibly rare event. Having said this, however, it doesn't mean we didn't happen upon this rare event either in the past or that it isn't still the case. We spend a lot of time, when talking science, explaining away how the earth is not rare or special in any meaningful scientific way (even though it certainly is, but gotta hate the old white guy western science or philosophy), but the fact is that it is the only one of its kind that we've been able to observe. It's a very delicate system how it's currently working. I'm not meaning to trash science or philosophy in any way, but I am suggesting that just because something would be highly improbable doesn't mean it isn't happening, either somewhere else in the universe or possibly here. After all, we're living on a so-far one-of-its-kind.

Also something to take into consideration is that if we are being visited by something else, we can't even be certain of where it's coming from. They could be visitors from Oblivion for all we know. Why does it even matter from where they are coming if we can just establish that sometimes they're here. Maybe there's a whole race of beings living on the inside of this world. That's not that incredible, is it? It's such lively world, as it is. And if not, then maybe if we could slip across into some other reality or dimension we'd find that our neighbors are in very close proximity to us distance-wise. Multiple universes stacked on top of each other? Makes no sense to me, but then how could it ever really make sense to any of us? Like threads of strings wrapped around each other, they could be on the next string at the same point as us except on their own string. Still highly improbable, but why should it matter?

If this were a highly sophisticated simulation, then literally anything is possible. We live, work, and play with one set of physical rules that guide our reality. Those rules, we already know, can vary or change as you leave our planet and travel across space. There is still far more that we don't even know, and then there's always the possibility that the rules can be switched on and off. I wouldn't even rule out all of natural science as we've come to know it suddenly, one day, being switched off or replaced in some ultra rare universal event. I've heard of very similar possible events that could impact our planet that could render our technologies, and thus our society, unusable and practically send us back hundreds of years technologically.

I'm only attempting to depict why I don't strongly believe, or disbelieve, in very much in this world. I've read unlikely tales of all sorts of things. Now I can either choose to accept that however unlikely most of those stories are, that maybe sometimes very improbable things can happen, or I can go forward in my life staunchly believing that nothing exists for which there's no evidence for it. Frankly, were I the programmer of this existence, I may have strong reason to do away with a good deal of evidence that might taint the experience of my subjects, like attempting to hide away pieces of a theatrical set that would otherwise ruin the experience.

Last edited:
I've read a lot about this subject. And I'm convinced that if anything, it's not an extra-terrestrial phenomenon. But rather, interdimensional.
That's not far fetched.

I think it was Jaques Valle (sp?) who proposes they aren't from this universe. But it's just as likely they're extraterrestrials who have mastered interdimensional travel as they are ultraterrestrials (aliens from outside our universe).

MadAnon

I've read a lot about this subject. And I'm convinced that if anything, it's not an extra-terrestrial phenomenon. But rather, interdimensional.
Well, unless there's some undiscovered physics which allow traveling way faster than speed of light the universe just seems way too vast for any kind of interstellar travel in realistic timeframes. So if there's something visiting this planet then "not from this universe" might not be that far fetched.

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
Well, unless there's some undiscovered physics which allow traveling way faster than speed of light the universe just seems way too vast for any kind of interstellar travel in realistic timeframes. So if there's something visiting this planet then "not from this universe" might not be that far fetched.
Not far fetched at all.

MadAnon

Not far fetched at all.
Patent doesn't mean it's something realisticly working. Tons of patents are just theoretical hogwash. Besides I'm not sure where exactly "traveling faster than speed of light" comes into play in this patent?

Last edited:

cosmic wizard

Neo Member
Not far fetched at all.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...e-tech-boss-claims-key-ufo-patent-is-operable

Operable? :pie_thinking:

Thurible

Nothing with mass can travel at the speed of light, and even if one could somehow, the vast emptiness of space would still take a ton of time to travel. So I highly doubt interstellar travel is possible. Also, there is no objective empirical evidence for extraterristrials. One can speculate but being there no proof, there isn't really any reason to believe unfortunately.

That said though I think It would be interesting if such things were possible. Physics, biology, and possibly even metaphysics would be effected. But things like "UFOS and aliens" are almost certainly sci-fi, I do find it fun to think about however.

Nothing with mass can travel at the speed of light, and even if one could somehow, the vast emptiness of space would still take a ton of time to travel. So I highly doubt interstellar travel is possible. Also, there is no objective empirical evidence for extraterristrials. One can speculate but being there no proof, there isn't really any reason to believe unfortunately.

That said though I think It would be interesting if such things were possible. Physics, biology, and possibly even metaphysics would be effected. But things like "UFOS and aliens" are almost certainly sci-fi, I do find it fun to think about however.
That's assuming they travel conventionally and not using some kind of exotic means such as wormholes/folding space/"slipspace"/playing a PS2 backlog to kill time/etc.

I know none of that's proven and it's still in the realm if science fiction but eh, who knows.

Edit: tonight's Coast to Coast AM is about UFOs.

ylvXudI.png

Last edited:
Btw another fun and scary theory I've heard by theoretical scientists, ufo buffs, etc.

Perhaps the reason we haven't found any life yet is there's something out there that wipes out species, probably once they reach a certain point. Whatever that being or beings are, they purposely don't pick up the phone.

Think something like the Reapers from Mass Effect or probably more accurately the Brethren Moons from Dead Space.

Edit: Clyde Lewis is on right now ALSO talking about UFOs and aliens.

Edit: I'm torn between Coast to Coast AM and Clyde Lewis as they're both good shows tonight.

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
Patent doesn't mean it's something realisticly working. Tons of patents are just theoretical hogwash. Besides I'm not sure where exactly "traveling faster than speed of light" comes into play in this patent?
Did you even read the patent? The detail it goes into is way beyond something theoretical.
The patent actually explains what gravity is and how it can be created in basic scientific experiments by spinning objects of a certain shape along the same axis. By reading this patent you'll actually know more about gravity than most physics scientists...
Also it is theorised that to make a wormhole you need to bend space using gravity. Wormhole travel is FTL. It isn't mentioned in this patent though.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell

It's actually impossible to travel to the deep ends of space even if we could somehow travel the speed of light(which is likely impossible), because space is expanding faster than the speed of light. Scientists estimate over 95% of the known universe is impossible to reach even if we could travel the speed of light and live forever because it'll always be expanding faster than we can travel. It's like the finish line on a Nascar race track moving away from the cars at 500 mph while the cars are traveling 250 mph. No cars will ever reach the finish line.

The same would apply to aliens coming to earth, you have to eliminate 95+% of the known universe of planets being able to reach here, unless they figured out a way to create wormholes or bend space to shorten the length of travel.

I think if aliens ever come here, it's likely in the form of artificial intelligence and not organic beings, for that very reason. They'd expire before they reached earth, thus creating some type of AI mechs or cyborgs that would never expire and exist long enough to reach us.

I don't think they will ever come here though. Think about it logically, if you're an alien and you had the means to travel to so many planets, you'd either want to travel to one that had more natural resources than ours, or you'd want to travel to one that had more intelligent life forms than them so you could actually learn something. We'd be the same way. If we had the technology tomorrow to travel to distant planets, we wouldn't pick one with primitive organisms as life or life less intelligent than us. We'd pick a planet that has life more intelligent than ours so we could learn something, bring it back to earth, and make our life better.

I just don't see aliens having interest in us over all the planets out there that potentially harbor life.

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned

Read that and the other patent I posted a bit further up.

MilkyJoe

It's actually impossible to travel to the deep ends of space even if we could somehow travel the speed of light(which is likely impossible), because space is expanding faster than the speed of light. Scientists estimate over 95% of the known universe is impossible to reach even if we could travel the speed of light and live forever because it'll always be expanding faster than we can travel. It's like the finish line on a Nascar race track moving away from the cars at 500 mph while the cars are traveling 250 mph. No cars will ever reach the finish line.

The same would apply to aliens coming to earth, you have to eliminate 95+% of the known universe of planets being able to reach here, unless they figured out a way to create wormholes or bend space to shorten the length of travel.

I think if aliens ever come here, it's likely in the form of artificial intelligence and not organic beings, for that very reason. They'd expire before they reached earth, thus creating some type of AI mechs or cyborgs that would never expire and exist long enough to reach us.

I don't think they will ever come here though. Think about it logically, if you're an alien and you had the means to travel to so many planets, you'd either want to travel to one that had more natural resources than ours, or you'd want to travel to one that had more intelligent life forms than them so you could actually learn something. We'd be the same way. If we had the technology tomorrow to travel to distant planets, we wouldn't pick one with primitive organisms as life or life less intelligent than us. We'd pick a planet that has life more intelligent than ours so we could learn something, bring it back to earth, and make our life better.

I just don't see aliens having interest in us over all the planets out there that potentially harbor life.

That last line is the daftest thing people ever say in regards to aliens. We have space craft and country destroying weapons on this resource rich planet. 🙄

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
That last line is the daftest thing people ever say in regards to aliens. We have space craft and country destroying weapons on this resource rich planet. 🙄

If aliens create the technology to travel insane distances in space, then there is little doubt they’d have long discovered how to split the atom and create nuclear weapons, probably even weapons much more powerful than that, I don’t think our nukes would impress them very much. To scale, our nukes to them are probably like finding a planet where their biggest invention is creating fire to us.

Also, yes, our planet is rich in resources, but the Kuiper belt just nearby us has more mineral resources than our planet does, let alone all the countless other planets and moons and comets in the universe and they won’t have to fight a war and wipe out an entire species to take it like they would with ours. Hell, even for water, they could just go to Europa and take its water, which is estimated to be more than on earth and not have to fight anyone for it. If it’s resources the aliens want there are plenty of other and easier ways to get it than earth and in more abundance.

MilkyJoe

If aliens create the technology to travel insane distances in space, then there is little doubt they’d have long discovered how to split the atom and create nuclear weapons, probably even weapons much more powerful than that, I don’t think our nukes would impress them very much. To scale, our nukes to them are probably like finding a planet where their biggest invention is creating fire to us.

Also, yes, our planet is rich in resources, but the Kuiper belt just nearby us has more mineral resources than our planet does, let alone all the countless other planets and moons and comets in the universe and they won’t have to fight a war and wipe out an entire species to take it like they would with ours. Hell, even for water, they could just go to Europa and take its water, which is estimated to be more than on earth and not have to fight anyone for it. If it’s resources the aliens want there are plenty of other and easier ways to get it than earth and in more abundance.

You're entirely missing the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom