• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens : Colonial Marines - Digital Foundry Face/Off

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Digital Foundry : Aliens Colonial Marines

360_041.png

PS3_041.png

360_047.png

PS3_047.png

- 360 version is sub HD. PS3 is 720p
- 360 runs at unlocked frame rate, PS3 at capped at 30.
- 360 has tearing (even tears during CG videos)
- PS3 has big drops and goes to 20 FPS during action
- PS3 and 360 lighting is same as Lowest on PC.

In the final call, it's hard to recommend either console release, but at a push we find the 360 one marginally more playable due to it holding above 30FPS through thick and thin. The PS3 version offers certain advantages in the image quality department, such as running at the full 720p framebuffer, as opposed to the 360's softer sub-HD output, but when the frame-rate drops for Sony's console it's ultimately even more of a distraction.

Tx6e4Ik.gif
Tx6e4Ik.gif
Tx6e4Ik.gif
Tx6e4Ik.gif
Tx6e4Ik.gif

RPGCrazied

Not into shooters much, but I love the Alien franchise. I stand behind developers who vsync their games. While 20fps is pretty bad, I'd rather try to get through it then play a game with bunch of tearing. I hate *hate* tearing.

Plasma

Banned
I thought it looked a bit rough when I was playing it through on the PC but damn those console shots look awful.

Stoffinator

- 360 runs at unlocked frame rate, PS3 at locked 30.

So this means the PS3 version isn't locked at 30fps.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Is it just me or Resident Evil: Revelations looks better than this?

Those screens make me rather go back and play Rebellions old Aliens VS Predator PC game (the one released in like 2000, not the more recent crap).

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
- 360 runs at unlocked frame rate, PS3 at locked 30.

So this means the PS3 version isn't locked at 30fps.

The PS3 version is locked at 30, as in it doesn't exceed 30. 360 is completely unlocked so when there's nothing going on it can be anywhere from 30 to 60. Averages around at 40 according to the article.

Stoffinator

The PS3 version is locked at 30, as in it doesn't exceed 30. 360 is completely unlocked so when there's nothing going on it can be anywhere from 30 to 60. Averages around at 40 according to the article.

But it than says it drops to 20fps during action. So it's not really locked at 30fps now is it? :p

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Holy crap, you can even spot the texture seam at the hair XD WTF? that's an amateur game artist mistake!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So, why do they have it in higher res on PS3 if they can't maintain decent frame rates? Why not drop the resolution on it too? Why arbitrary random IQ differences that don't really help shit in the end? Not just for this game, all of them...

SparkTR

Oh god, the console textures are horrible (well, they're not great on PC either but DAMN). How does that get below 20fps on PS3?

I just realized that Sega decided to cancel Bayonetta 2 to keep throwing money to this piece of shit who will probably end selling much less games.

Well, thanks to Nintendo I guess we'll have the game, still fuck you Sega!.

Top Bottom