• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Colonial Marines |OT| Game Over Man, GAME OVER!

Feature

Banned
Guys can someone explain the big plot twist to me (in spoiler tags) and the reason for the twist that is given?

I just saw the angry joe review and it was hilarious, especially the first 5 seconds. The parts where he inserted the developer interviews are even funnier, these guys must've been high when doing those.

Sojgat

Guys can someone explain the big plot twist to me (in spoiler tags) and the reason for the twist that is given?

I just saw the angry joe review and it was hilarious, especially the first 5 seconds. The parts where he inserted the developer interviews are even funnier, these guys must've been high when doing those.

Hicks is still alive, and on LV-426. The reason given for how is something like "it's a long story, for another time". Basically, Michael Biehn was available, so they put him in the game.

todahawk

Normally it's called FAKE GAME FOOTAGE or TARGET RENDER if you will. You showcase what the game WILL look like, play like and feel like. It can be 100% CG sometimes, it can use tech that will be used for the game (lighting system, mesh, shaders, etc) and other times it can be half and half but it's always scripted and normally you make sure that you don't shoot too high.

In the past years, some companies have shown Fake Game Footage publicly (normally it's kept in-house for various reasons and one of them is to not alienate the audience with some promises that can't be delivered). The first gameplay demo for Bioshock Infinite really felt like a Fake Game Footage reel and when I saw that ALIENS demo, it looked scripted up the butt and smelled like pure Target Render.

I know that some Target Renders have found their way unto the web; Assassin's Creed for example showcases the main navigation gameplay and some fight sequence. Plus visually, it must've looked awesome back then and the fact that the final game looked better shows that FGF/Target Render can be a great way to easily show your idea to the world.

But based on what I read about ALIENS, they put their goals way too high. Maybe to hide the fact they were scared SEGA would pull a move and was getting impatient while waiting for actual proof that they weren't putting money in a sinkhole.

What a mess.

Read back into the thread...

The demo is real and what Gearbox initially developed. Gearbox switched over to DNF and BL2 and subcontracted A:CM to TimeGate. TimeGate reportedly tossed the GBX assets and started over. When GBX saw the state of the game they did not ask SEGA for another extension as there were worries over legal action already. GBX cleaned up what they could and threw A:CM out the door.

Oh, and the demo was listed on Nintendo's site (at the very least) as 100% gameplay footage.

Feature

Banned
Hicks is still alive, and on LV-426. The reason given for how is something like "it's a long story, for another time". Basically, Michael Biehn was available, so they put him in the game.

Wow, that reason... either they're blatantly saying "hey there's going to be a prequel to this game with this guy as main character" or they're just too lazy. Probably the last part and that prequel / sequel will never come now.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So. Any comments from Gearbox on the shockingly bad review scores?

1stStrike

Banned
So. Any comments from Gearbox on the shockingly bad review scores?

Their best defense is to not say anything right now. No matter what they try to say the public is going to tear them to pieces, so they're just going to remain silent. I would honestly be shocked if anyone from GB ever made a public / official statement about the way this game turned out. They just want to soak up however much money they can and go back to BL3.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Their best defense is to not say anything right now. No matter what they try to say the public is going to tear them to pieces, so they're just going to remain silent. I would honestly be shocked if anyone from GB ever made a public / official statement about the way this game turned out. They just want to soak up however much money they can and go back to BL3.

What I can't understand is knowing the commitments Gearbox had with Borderlands. Why did Sega still chose them to develop this game.

What I can't understand is knowing the commitments Gearbox had with Borderlands. Why did Sega still chose them to develop this game.

Because Gearbox actually had half a pedigree left even after the monumental fuckup that was DNF. I never was a fan of Borderlands so that pedigree is completely gone for me. They're assholes.

Truant

Would be great if Gearbox released updated versions of assets that they designed, as supposed to the dumbed down stuff made by external devs? No idea.

Sojgat

Just watched the Angry Joe review. I've said before that I think the weapons (red dot sights aside) are one of the only good points the game has, and it was nice to see somebody else mentioning them. They expand the Colonial Marine arsenal, and fit within the universe in a way other games haven't quite managed.

The Tactical Shotgun is one of my favourites. It's super powerful, and would be great for crowd control against large groups of xenomorphs, but that's never really called for at any point. Also, the different upgrades change it's function in clever ways, with meaningful trade-offs for each. Want a faster reload (including a totally different reload animation), then you can't have a stock that decreases recoil. I've always loved guns (like those in Halo CE) that weren't designed mainly with competitive MP balance in mind. It's just a shame these ones are in such a fucking awful game.

Still the best Aliens game.

l2Z1kN1.png

YmK4qIx.png

Cxi9YBu.png

Why don't you put Activision in charge!

Truant

I just can't believe this happened. One of the most sought after franchises in the word, and they have the audacity and lack of respect to the franchise and the fans to churn this shit out.

Man. I'd have trouble sleeping.

Z3M0G

Last night one question came to mind...

"Aren't there aliens on the ship? What humans did they birth from?"

Now that I'm watching the Angry Review, another question...

"Did they really ignore the nuclear explosion at the end of Aliens? You visit the same location?"

(I haven't played, I'm just wondering...)

Sojgat

Last night one question came to mind...

"Aren't there aliens on the ship? What humans did they birth from?"

The marines board the Sulaco, which is orbiting LV-426 (for stupid reasons). The player character is part of the second group of marines, sent over to investigate after the first group went missing/got implanted by facehuggers.

Now that I'm watching the Angry Review, another question...

"Did they really ignore the nuclear explosion at the end of Aliens? You visit the same location?"

(I haven't played, I'm just wondering...)

When the processing station exploded with the force of a thermonuclear weapon at the end of Aliens, Hadley's Hope wasn't completely destroyed, but only sustained light structural damage. Since the colony was located a distance from the processing station I guess this is plausible.

The game's entire plot is very thin, and requires almost total suspension of disbelief to accept.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Read back into the thread...

The demo is real and what Gearbox initially developed. Gearbox switched over to DNF and BL2 and subcontracted A:CM to TimeGate. TimeGate reportedly tossed the GBX assets and started over. When GBX saw the state of the game they did not ask SEGA for another extension as there were worries over legal action already. GBX cleaned up what they could and threw A:CM out the door.

Oh, and the demo was listed on Nintendo's site (at the very least) as 100% gameplay footage.

I don't believe for a second that demo was "real". Gearbox has done these fake walkthroughs before and then completely underdelivered with the actual game. I think it's giving GBX way too much credit to say they gave TimeGate something in a decent state, and they simply tossed it aside to remake it, but even worse?

Doesn't make any sense. Blame rests with GBX, especially considering their track record.

Bad news guys. This game is currently #4 in the top sellers on steam.

It's not as terrible on PC. Not great, but overall impressions (including mine) seem to be much more positive on the PC than other platforms (granted, would be tough to be worse).

It's not a good game, but it's not as bad as it's being made out to be, at least on PC.

Evolved1

FOX should wait until the dust settles... and then retcon this game from the canon.

1stStrike

Banned
It's not as terrible on PC. Not great, but overall impressions (including mine) seem to be much more positive on the PC than other platforms (granted, would be tough to be worse).

It's not a good game, but it's not as bad as it's being made out to be, at least on PC.

My angle on this is that we shouldn't encourage them with sales, at least at full price, of the game so that they make as little profit as possible (hopefully none). If they lose a fuck ton of money on the game it'll hopefully either:

A. Prevent them from ever making an alien game again. Seriously, if they can't get it right, then they just need to stop destroying the franchise.

B. Hire a studio with strict guidelines and a schedule that they need to adhere to with little to no extensions in the future and no outsourcing. This way fans of the series might just get themselves a game that isn't a giant pile of fuck.

todahawk

I don't believe for a second that demo was "real". Gearbox has done these fake walkthroughs before and then completely underdelivered with the actual game. I think it's giving GBX way too much credit to say they gave TimeGate something in a decent state, and they simply tossed it aside to remake it, but even worse?

Doesn't make any sense. Blame rests with GBX, especially considering their track record.

Don't get me wrong, I put full blame on GBX. They owned the project and /if/ the demo was real and TimeGate dropped it to start over its still GBX that should be held accountable.

I've worked with companies that subcontract and it was always a nightmare. The subcontractor may be shit but that doesn't change where the responsibility lies.

If that was a faked CGI demo it wouldn't surprise me. I've read a few articles that opined that it looked to elaborate and long for CGI.

Either way, 100% on GBX. Won't even look at anything they touch again.

They scrapped/toned down the lighting engine. And when I say they, I mean, Gearbox. That demo was real.

Nah.

In the middle of all of this Gearbox has decided to not only patch the game, but supposedly a massive 8GB patch is in the works. While I have yet to find the rumored 8GB patch being listed anywhere we do have this patch that was released on the opening day that helps to identify some of the majors issues within the game ( I originally saw tweets going out on this subject but they have since been removed).

Sounds like someone is looking to get traffic on his website, if he is the only source and he read it from tweets that "have since been removed". ;)

Evolved1

They scrapped/toned down the lighting engine. And when I say they, I mean, Gearbox. That demo was real.

Unless you are someone with some real insider information... then there's too much speculation out there to say anything for sure.

I'm basing my impression/guess on Gearbox's past efforts, specifically their BiA walkthrough.... which was a bunch of smoke and mirrors. Except, they actually got away with it that time. Imo it's far more likely they just did it again with ACM, than had actually developed something viable, only to hand it off to a studio that scraped it, just to rework it, but worse.

I believe their ACM demo was as "real" as their past BiAHH demos.

Krakatoa

TimeGate: That's it man, game over man, game over! What the fuck are we gonna do now? What are we gonna do?
Gearbox: Maybe we could build a fire, sing a couple of songs, huh? Why don't we try that?

Mlatador

Banned
8 GB patch??? Even if that's true...

Just nuke the game from the orbit - it's the only way to be sure!

Eventhough some bugs/technical things can be fixed, no patch in the world can fix "the game" as a whole.

It would be nice if there was some sort of patch at some point that fixes some of the issues.

Honestly the screen tearing is the absolute worst thing about the game. Can't stand that shit.

bumclot

Has the
big twist been posted anywhere
? I googled it but can't find the answer. It's the only thing that now has me interested in the game, mostly because it sounds hilariously awful.

Has the
? I googled it but can't find the answer. It's the only thing that now has me interested in the game, mostly because it sounds hilariously awful.

The mere idea of it is what's awful, not the implementation or whatever.

If you want to see something hilariously awful in this game, check out the videos of the aliens glitching out or the clip of the marine saying, "shits all explodin and shit."

Andrew.

Banned
Look, we might as well just accept the fact that an Aliens game better than the Konami arcader will never happen.

Until then, satisfy your cravings with the original Halo, the Dead Space trilogy and Doom 3 I say.

Has the
There's a few full walkthroughs on YouTube that will answer your question.

It's really dumb, btw.

Top Bottom