• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Colonial Marines |OT| Game Over Man, GAME OVER!

JaxJag

Banned
Wait, I just finished the campaign. Now granted, I wasn't paying attention to the story, it seemed kinda bad... but did I basically see that the game doesn't really have an ending?... more of a to be continued ending, they expect people to buy the ending or something?

images

Sojgat

Wait, I just finished the campaign. Now granted, I wasn't paying attention to the story, it seemed kinda bad... but did I basically see that the game doesn't really have an ending?... more of a to be continued ending, they expect people to buy the ending or something?

Aliens: Colonial Marines 2

*in Trailer Guy voice*

"They've got it all"

*Explosions happen*

Coming in 2019!

ruttyboy

One aspect of this debacle I've been wondering about is why did Gearbox not put the effort in? I can't think of a better license to have, surely if they'd made a good game they could have sold an obscene amount of copies?

Were the terms of the licensing agreement so bad that developing their own IP almost exclusively made financial sense overall?

Apologies if this has been discussed already, don't have time to read 43 pages.

Into

In hindsight, the positive thing is that this game has made AvP 2010 look pretty good in comparison.

Clearly something went wrong, should not take 6 years (or however long it has been?) to craft a 4-5 hour single player game.

As a huge fan of Alien, Aliens and the directors cut of Alien 3, i am really saddened by this. Could have made something slightly different and unique, combine the popularity of the FPS genre with the darkness and eeriness of Amnesia, then turn it into a Metroidvania style game. After all the films almost all took place in a giant single indoor location. There you go, now you are offering the "FPS" that everyone loves these days but you are also differentiating yourself from everyone else.

Alas it did not happen, and they just made a corridor, A->B, scripted events game that we see released on a monthly basis it feels like.

Apocryphon

The world should block him for the insult that was Aliens: Colonial Marines, and the threat of damage done to the Aliens brand.

It's funny because he seems to see his job as being the guy who 'sells' the games, to investors, press, consumers etc, when his actual role should be to ensure the quality of the final product.

I can't believe nobody took stock of what they had in the days before the game went gold and said "we shouldn't be releasing this". They shouldn't have released DNF either but I suppose that situation was a little different. Gearbox should have accepted that they'd fucked up when they got the outsourced content back and then put profits from sales of BL2 into making amends and releasing a game worthy of the franchise.

Maybe people should just stay quiet on Twitter for a few weeks after being responsible for such a bad product, instead of telling how you profit from and hate people who paid good money because they thought they were getting the product you promised instead of what they got...

Recall

The world should block him for the insult that was Aliens: Colonial Marines, and the threat of damage done to the Aliens brand.

It is still the best representation of the Aliens brand in a very long time. It is better than AvP from 2010 and it is better than quite a few other games with the name Alien attached to them. It has the atmosphere, the gameplay and the nods that make it really stand out. Get it if you can.

Gearbox helped develop it too.

Sporran

Yes this game looks shit compared to others
the low res, the screen tearing OMG how can it even tear at the title menu.

BUT, i have to say get 3 other real mates, who all equally love the films and play the Coop mode.

So much fun so so much fun, yes piss taking throughout the game become arbitrary and adds to the enjoyment.

It is still the best representation of the Aliens brand in a very long time. It is better than AvP from 2010 and it is better than quite a few other games with the name Alien attached to them. It has the atmosphere, the gameplay and the nods that make it really stand out. Get it if you can.

Gearbox helped develop it too.

LOL, didn't they just (publicly) outsource it to WayForward? What the fuck did they do to it?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I must admit I'm tempted to get this just to see how bad it is. Someone shoot me.

Aliens: Infestation is a truly great little game. It's got some problems, but it packs more genuine love and heart for the Aliens license than most Aliens games of recent years. It's pretty damn hard, too. If you think Xenomorphs have been treated as little more than cannon fodder in videogames, this one will set you right.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
And anyway... might as well rent some games while you still can.

lol there's probably an online code, so you can't even try the mp which apparently is the least shit

Darklord

Banned
915549-avsp2box_large.jpg

Still the best Alien game and you can't even buy it anymore. The best single player and multiplayer. The mode where you start as a facehugger was so fun. Why the fuck is it so hard to replicate this????

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Just Redbox it man. I had the same twisted urge and it passed. Don't spend 60 beans. Just spend a few instead.

I want to try the PC version. I might pick up a cheap second copy on PS360 or wait for a cheap STEAM sale.

If you ever see an Aliens: Extermination arcade machine, give it a go. It's basically the same run-and-gun arcade silliness of Colonial Marines, but without the pretensions of narrative, the lies, and the shitty animations.

There's a few local to me, and every day I'm not using it is a day spent failing.

Bombless

Why is the story such a clusterfuck? (besides the whole "nothing was finished, we put it back together the best we could")

The answer is simple : Season Pass.

I doubt we'll see the announcement of the other 3 dlc's anytime soon if the situation with the assets is as bad as they said it is.

Aliens: Infestation is a truly great little game. It's got some problems, but it packs more genuine love and heart for the Aliens license than most Aliens games of recent years. It's pretty damn hard, too. If you think Xenomorphs have been treated as little more than cannon fodder in videogames, this one will set you right.

So true. You can unload half a clip into them sometimes before they go down. Makes walking into a room with the motion scanner going crazy truly frightening because you're probably going to die, and death matters in the game. Plus, acid blood does considerable damage.

He finally speaks for the first time in three days; mayhaps we get some answers:

S8rm0i2.jpg

What do you expect him to say? He won't admit it if the game was outsourced, he won't accept that the game shipped in a poor state / lacked even the most rudimentary level of QA and he certainly won't comment on why he continues to lies when he should clearly know better.

If not for Borderlands, I belive Gearbox would now be a defunct studio and it doesn't end there, they are now milking that cash cow for all its worth and souring a lot of people with their poor DLC releases.

Truant

Gearbox are C-tier. Borderlands is mediocre. It's just how it is. Everyone knows it, Pitchford just refuses to admit it to himself.

eot

Banned
It's funny because he seems to see his job as being the guy who 'sells' the games, to investors, press, consumers etc, when his actual role should be to ensure the quality of the final product.

I can't believe nobody took stock of what they had in the days before the game went gold and said "we shouldn't be releasing this".

It's been in development for so long that they probably didn't have a choice. Hell, the rumour is that Sega was threatening them with legal action. Of course rumors are just rumors but if half of them are true then the management at Gearbox acted somewhat irresponsibly.

So my Gamefly copy seems to have been lost in the mail. Shipped on Monday, should have been here by Wednesday. I guess I should take that as a sign from the Alien Gods to skip it, even as a rental.

hlhbk

WDl.jpg

Randy claims he never lied and seems to hint something changed after they made those videos. Well GAF do we believe him? I just sent him the following:

Randy the E3 demo is nowhere to be found in Aliens CM. We were told that was actual gameplay. Please elaborate?

915549-avsp2box_large.jpg

Still the best Alien game and you can't even buy it anymore. The best single player and multiplayer. The mode where you start as a facehugger was so fun. Why the fuck is it so hard to replicate this????

Lifecycle mode :)

Hug Face
Burst
Hide
MOLT
KILL
KILL MORE
BECOME A QUEEN

So what franchises does Sega have left after this debacle?

Edit: I checked and apparently there's Sonic the Hedgehog, Football Manager and Total War.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
The best thing to happen with this thread is that Jim Sterling has blessed GAF with his presence. Real talk.

Jim, your review of Boob Wars was the funniest thing ever.

So what franchises does Sega have left after this debacle?
The other three core franchises Sega talked about were Total War, Football Manager and Sonic the Hedgehog. And with their acquisition of Relic and the Company of Heroes IP, it's probably a safe bet that CoH will be a core franchise too.

imotep

Neo Member
I didn't really think upon buying this game that it was going to blow me away (Previews before it came out extinguished any chance of that) but wow is it bad. Almost every aspect of the game is poorly executed.

Top Bottom