• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Colonial Marines screens

TEH-CJ said:
Fucking awesome :O

tho i don't like the look of the AR =/

why is that so many games always fail on making a good looking AR....i just don't get it.
Obviously you haven't seen any of the Aliens.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
AltogetherAndrews said:
I'm sure they can deliver an AAA game, but I have no faith in this particular studio tackling Aliens.

Fair enough. Hopefully you're wrong though. :lol

womp

Seriously, the game I have waiting my whole life for is coming to fruition looking GREAT after so soooo many letdowns.

Please be good.

This is multi-platform correct?

jetjevons said:
And why would that be?

Because if there is one thing Gearbox has never even come close to deliver, it's intensity, let alone primal fear. They have done a good job of making tactical work out of common battle scenes, but that means nothing here. Aliens? I mourn that Monolith is not developing this, and it being in the hands of Gearbox makes it all the worse. This is going to be about as remarkable as Republic Commando.

Evolved1

TEH-CJ said:
Fucking awesome :O

tho i don't like the look of the AR =/

why is that so many games always fail on making a good looking AR....i just don't get it.

It's straight from the films...

But anyway, here's a post by one of the Gearbox devs from their forum:

wieder(gearbox) said:
yeah we're not happy with the current view from first person on the Pulse Rifle. I just created the task yesterday to take another stab at it.

LowParry

I hope we'll be able to use the yellow cargo lifter and be able to scream out "Get away from her your BITCH!" Please please please make a queen alien fight epic Gearbox.

Evolved1

CcrooK said:
I hope we'll be able to use the yellow cargo lifter and be able to scream out "Get away from her your BITCH!" Please please please make a queen alien fight epic Gearbox.

From interview above:

CLose-Encounters system. "Close encounters are almost unlimited in their ability to
let us do what we want to do. Aliens can interact with the world - it isn't just a bunch
of button presses until its over. The alien could leap back onto a cabinet, or another one
of your squadmates. He could leap back and through a duct and out of sight."

The marine's actions in the example are initiated by the player through responding to
less intrusive instructions. A subtle flash of green on the right side of the screen
tells you to move the analog stick in that direction, whereas one in the upper left corner
could be a prompt to pull the left trigger. By abandoning the usual control scheme,
close encounters makes it possible for the team to create those one-of-a-kind combat
situations that caputre the flavor of the most iconic moments in Aliens.
"If we were to recreate the power-loader battle against the queen, that would be a
close encounter."

For what it's worth. I have no fucking idea what a close encounter is...

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
AltogetherAndrews said:
Because if there is one thing Gearbox has never even come close to deliver, it's intensity, let alone primal fear.

I don't know I think they did a bang up job with their work on the Half-Life series. And I seem to recall some pretty intense moments in the BIA games.

I have every condifence this is going to be a AAA title.

vpance

The marine's actions in the example are initiated by the player through responding to
less intrusive instructions. A subtle flash of green on the right side of the screen
tells you to move the analog stick in that direction, whereas one in the upper left corner
could be a prompt to pull the left trigger. By abandoning the usual control scheme,
close encounters makes it possible for the team to create those one-of-a-kind combat
situations that caputre the flavor of the most iconic moments in Aliens.
"If we were to recreate the power-loader battle against the queen, that would be a
close encounter."

Ugh.. sounds like QTE shit.

I hope they can get the music score right. Just straight plagarize the original soundtracks.

Evolved1

jett said:
Sounds like glorified QTE. Fail, in other words.

That's what I thought at first... but maybe it'll be interesting. I don't really like QTE, but there are times when I don't mind it. If it's rewarding enough, visually.

I'll reserve judgment.

I mean there's a screen up there where your dude is crawling around in the vent shafts... that's fucking too cool.

Yeah, that's no good. Then again, who knows, maybe there is some way of getting the QTE shit to work. But then on the other hand... remember Jericho? Yikes.

Evolved1

AltogetherAndrews said:
Yeah, that's no good. Then again, who knows, maybe there is some way of getting the QTE shit to work. But then on the other hand... remember Jericho? Yikes.

Yes. And I remember God of War.

QTE usually sucks though.

But then think about the "hero" moments from Resistance... I bet hardly anyone even noticed most of those. There's got to be some median a developer can find where a cool moment isn't forced on you like in QTE, but they can still keep them really visible? I don't know... Close Encounters sound kind of like BiA's "BroMo's" and I always thought those seemed pretty cheesy.

The big question is how they will make it scary enough. When you have a squad, it just won't be as scary, unless your guys can be killed easily or something. Or you are so outnumbered it's 4 to 20 or something. But I think this game will be good at least.

Bullshots?

The way the guy is falling with his arm out in one of the screens and then one where he's in a vent with his hands out...that can't be in game can it? Pretty nice first person animation if so.

I just hope these games are good. Gearbox is working on a lot of projects I'm interested in...I just hope they have the manpower to come through.

madmook

Why the fuck does Gearbox keep announcing shit? I can't remember the last game that was released by them. They were supposed to release the Brothers in Arms compilation for Wii and Hell's Highway in 2007, and its March 08 now without any word of a release date for either game...

Although I am very eagerly-awaiting Borderlands and now Aliens CM, I'm probably just gonna have to forget about these games for another year or so because they're not coming anytime soon.

Evolved1

the_zombie_luke said:
The big question is how they will make it scary enough.

I guess this is where I don't get where some of you guys are coming from. Scary? They're aliens! Like, the best looking aliens in a game to date. You know there will be darkness and flashlights and air ducts and grates on the floors and murky water and motion trackers and blood and acid blood and swarming, smart AI with those things popping out from everywhere.

Then you know... there's the alien variety. You never know what will be coming next and from where... shit seems pretty scary to me. But I'll admit I'm a wuss with those types of games... I think the game is going to bleed atmosphere (think it already does).

recklessmind said:
Yes. And I remember God of War.

QTE usually sucks though.

But then think about the "hero" moments from Resistance... I bet hardly anyone even noticed most of those.

Going off on a tangent here, but I honestly never understood why Ted even talked those hero moments up, precisely because they were so transparent. I mean, in all practicality they became like any other "save your team mate" moments, and with all respect to the dudes at Insomniac, that team feeling is not one that they've really excelled at delivering. And regardless, those types of situations don't feel like situations you should talk up. It should be a natural part of any battle scenario that has you fighting alongside.

And for whatever it's worth, the greatest connection I've ever felt to an allied force was in Halo 2 when I had grunts and hunters fighting by my side. Crazy, but there it is.

recklessmind said:
I guess this is where I don't get where some of you guys are coming from. Scary? They're aliens! Like, the best looking aliens in a game to date. You know there will be darkness and flashlights and air ducts and grates on the floors and murky water and motion trackers and blood and acid blood and swarming, smart AI with those things popping out from everywhere.

Then you know... there's the alien variety. You never know what will be coming next and from where... shit seems pretty scary to me. But I'll admit I'm a wuss with those types of games... I think the game is going to bleed atmosphere (think it already does).

They could still screw it up, by for example making it too sterile and technical. If their previous efforts are anything to go by, they will focus on the marines moreso than the aliens. Which means some will have to stay alive, which introduces scripting and necessary means to keep these guys alive. Likely by making the aliens less capable and therefore less fearsome. And if there is too much of a focus on the tactical approach of the marines, chances are that fear and dread, the feeling that comes from being a puny human pitted against these nightmare creatures, that all will become secondary.

GarthVaderUK said:
Looks awesome! :D

Got a bigger version of this one? It's linking to a different pic:

See, that shot... those guys look way too fucking composed. Granted that this may be further into the game and maybe they have become somewhat desensitized to the aliens, but come on... there should be more fear, and less kneeling.

womp said:
Seriously, the game I have waiting my whole life for is coming to fruition looking GREAT after so soooo many letdowns.

Please be good.

This is multi-platform correct?

There have been many alien based game fps that were good, Alien Vs Predator 1 and 2 for PC, for example....

recklessmind said:

Yeah, I know but with guys around you all the time? In Aliens vs Predator 2 you were almost always alone and you couldn't rely on anyone to get through the levels. That game is probably the scariest game I've ever played, so I know Aliens are scary. :lol The other problem with squads, is developers either make them too good or useless. Hopefully the squad falls into the middle. They know how to shoot and are alert, but they can be overwhelmed by the Aliens if they're not careful. I also hope the game has some levels where you have to escape from the Aliens. I still remember the last level in AVP2 for the Marine when you had to run to the ship and the Praetorian Aliens were after you. That was so nuts I still remember it years later.

Evolved1

AltogetherAndrews said:
And for whatever it's worth, the greatest connection I've ever felt to an allied force was in Halo 2 when I had grunts and hunters fighting by my side. Crazy, but there it is.

Nothing even stands out in my mind as far as feeling a connection to allied forces... weird.

There must be something.... it's just not coming to me. Sure wasn't BiA though... bet that surprises you. I like that they actually did what I told them to do, as far as orders, but I never gave a shit. I thought most of the dialog was poorly written and acted. :D

Evolved1

AA said:
They could still screw it up, by for example making it too sterile and technical. If their previous efforts are anything to go by, they will focus on the marines moreso than the aliens. Which means some will have to stay alive, which introduces scripting and necessary means to keep these guys alive. Likely by making the aliens less capable and therefore less fearsome. And if there is too much of a focus on the tactical approach of the marines, chances are that fear and dread, the feeling that comes from being a puny human pitted against these nightmare creatures, that all will become secondary.

I completely agree with you. Thing is... I'm really not expecting this to be BiA in space.

They might make some of those mistakes, probably will make some of those mistakes, but I think the dev is talented and smart enough to realize you have to make a different game.

We'll see what happens. I've got my fingers crossed. And I bet you right now that you'll play portions of this game separated from your squad and shitting your pants. The Gearbox guys played AVP2 too.

:D

vpance said:
Ugh.. sounds like QTE shit.

I hope they can get the music score right. Just straight plagarize the original soundtracks.

If they can make QTE like moments play seamlessly with the gameplay though that would be huge. One thing about games is that extremely advanced motion is hard to replicate with use of the controller due to limitations. I don't know if Aliens will do it, but I've always hoped that a game would have a QTE button so to speak that would allow for a multitude of crazy actions
so that the game never gets overly repetitive.

For example...

HOLD LB and when you press the jump button while moving left you roll left, or right, or forward or back depending on whatever. But say an enemy is just swinging at you. If done at the exact moment your player could perhaps duck under a blow, block it with a weapon, etc. Or if you use this QTE button or something in combination with reloading button, perhaps you throw ammunition to an ally.

Ah...only to dream.

Aegus

Roaming Aliens please. None of this scripted event crap. I want my Aliens wandering and waiting in dark dank places and fucking me over if I make a huge amount of noise.

Dark FaZe said:
HOLD LB and when you press the jump button while moving left you roll left, or right, or forward or back depending on whatever. But say an enemy is just swinging at you. If done at the exact moment your player could perhaps duck under a blow, block it with a weapon, etc. Or if you use this QTE button or something in combination with reloading button, perhaps you throw ammunition to an ally.

Ah...only to dream.
I think RE4 still has the best QTE I've seen. Using it to dodge hits, duck, and roll was better than making the main controls more complicated. It can be done right, and when it is it's awesome.

rezuth

item

Why does that look like a pussy?

Aegus said:
Roaming Aliens please. None of this scripted event crap. I want my Aliens wandering and waiting in dark dank places and fucking me over if I make a huge amount of noise.

Agreed. This is also why AVP1>AVP2.

Minsc

Gold Member
rezuth said:
item

Why does that look like a pussy?

Teeth.

Watch it and I think it may answer some questions. If nothing else, you'll never see another trailer quite like it, and it's probably be one of the funnier movie trailers you'll see this year. And to think, I actually saw that full trailer air on local TV one morning...

Top Bottom