• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Colonial Marines screens

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I can't complain. Then again, I do admit that I've never seen any of the Alien films. I've been meaning to get the Quadrilogy box set for a while, I just never got around to it.
16x16smileysadgi9.gif

twinturbo2 said:
I can't complain. Then again, I do admit that I've never seen any of the Alien films. I've been meaning to get the Quadrilogy box set for a while, I just never got around to it.

ALIENS is a life-altering experience.

LowParry

twinturbo2 said:
16x16smileysadgi9.gif

........................I have no words to express the sadness that I am feeling.

CcrooK said:
Can we say that Resurrection doesn't count though?

I think Resurrection has a couple of decent bits but overall I fucking loathed it. The underwater chase was pretty amazing but that's about it. Alien 3 is a masterpiece compared to that. It certainly isn't one of the worst sequels I've ever seen but I just didn't like it that much either.

CcrooK said:
Can we say that Resurrection doesn't count though?

Resurrection is shit as far as action goes, but the actual Aliens have never been as beautifully realized as in that movie. The scene
where the alien crawls into the rescue pod right before it closes
, god damn. And the chest burst scene is just incredible. But I don't think anyone involved was happy with that movie. In fact, I see some parallels here. Gearbox seems to be about as wrong for Aliens as Jeunet was.

twinturbo2 said:
16x16smileysadgi9.gif

Just watch Alien and Aliens. You can pretty much skip the rest. The first two are different but both fantastic for what they are. Alien being more of a horror movie and Aliens being more of an action film.

forgeforsaken said:
Just watch Alien and Aliens. You can pretty much skip the rest. The first two are different but both fantastic for what they are. Alien being more of a horror movie and Aliens being more of an action film.

I think Alien 3 is pretty decent although a far cry from the greatness of the first two. Certainly better than Resurrection.

LowParry

forgeforsaken said:

3 is good enough to watch. Resurrection just ignore. It has its moments but the ending? I almost walked out when I saw it in theaters.

M3wThr33

Banned
God dammit.
These screens confused me. I thought when they titled it Colonial Marines they were going to set it during the American Civil War. It was going to be the greatest fucking game ever.

CcrooK said:
3 is good enough to watch. Resurrection just ignore. It has its moments but the ending? I almost walked out when I saw it in theaters.

I saw it opening day and haven't seen it since. As an ALIEN fan I was pretty insulted.

LowParry

Ya know, for the PS3 version, they better add in a movie (ie: Stranglehold). Toss in Aliens with the game and it'll be well worth a $60 purchase.

I think a Predator game would have to take a ton of liberties on the canon but if they did it right and kept the feel and atmosphere of Predator it could work.

TEH-CJ

Banned
untoldhero said:
Obviously you haven't seen any of the Aliens.

I own them all thank you very much

its just the gun looks way oversized. I think its just the view they need to fix.

Mar

rezuth said:
I'm old enough but my memory fails me. I don't recall every seeing it having a pussy. Most likely just my memory.

Yes, it's your memory.

Face Huggers are the scariest shit in the world.

brandonh83 said:
I think a Predator game would have to take a ton of liberties on the canon but if they did it right and kept the feel and atmosphere of Predator it could work.
AVP2 had an awesome Predator campaign that let you use all of his gear and more. The storyline was amazing too. There's no reason why they can't have another great Predator game.

TEH-CJ said:
I own them all thank you very much

its just the gun looks way oversized. I think its just the view they need to fix.
If you talking about the hud perspective I agree they are a bit big.
Should be more like this:
aliens_vs_predator_2_01.jpg

As to what it is at the moment (actually they should just look at that game as a whole and just use everything that was executed in AVP2 so perfectly :lol )

womp

Bluemercury said:
There have been many alien based game fps that were good, Alien Vs Predator 1 and 2 for PC, for example....

True and I actually enjoyed Alien Trilogy on PSX as well but this seems more grounded to the movies than A vs P on the PC was and I'd rather leave the predator out of it.

Blasphemy, I know. :)

womp

brandonh83 said:
I saw it opening day and haven't seen it since. As an ALIEN fan I was pretty insulted.

I saw Aliens opening day and as you said it truly could be THE best action movie ever made. Nearly 22 years later and outside Paul Reiser's wardrobe the damn flick hasn't aged a bit.

Resurrection was entertaining but then entire ending was a complete "WTF?" in terms of creature design. heh.

womp

Barkley's Justice said:
welcome to 1979!

Exactly.

Back in 79 they actually USED a REAL vagina for the effects shots, none of this CGI BS...Back when movies were hardcore.

Ridley Scott is a true pioneer and visionary.

Ark-AMN

Banned
brandonh83 said:
I suppose if you want to get technical, the only real canon of the Predator are the movies (I do not believe that Fox recognizes the books or comics). So since it's pretty barebones to begin with, they could get away with adding a lot of layers of background which previous games have done.

TEH-CJ

Banned
untoldhero said:
If you talking about the hud perspective I agree they are a bit big.
Should be more like this:
aliens_vs_predator_2_01.jpg

As to what it is at the moment (actually they should just look at that game as a whole and just use everything that was executed in AVP2 so perfectly :lol )

Exactly, like that

man that was an awesome game.

Ark-AMN said:
I suppose if you want to get technical, the only real canon of the Predator are the movies (I do not believe that Fox recognizes the books or comics). So since it's pretty barebones to begin with, they could get away with adding a lot of layers of background which previous games have done.

Pretty much, which is basically why I mentioned that... I was just saying because fans literally hate it when other people change things around. They'd have to be careful.

the_zombie_luke said:
Someone needs to make an AVP2 thread so everyone who missed it can see what's up. That game was just unforgettable.

someone please do. I'd like to know more about this game from fans on GAF. :D

Minsc

Gold Member
the_zombie_luke said:
Someone needs to make an AVP2 thread so everyone who missed it can see what's up. That game was just unforgettable.

Only way to do it justice is playing it with the lights off, headphones (or nice speakers I suppose), late at night, with the sound nice and loud. Shit, I hate that game! Scares the living crap out of me every time.

Reading about AvP2 and seeing pictures/video just can't capture the essence of knowing you're going to be ripped to shreds by something you can't see right around the next corner. But I approve of any thread praising it, and do hope the new game can capture the scared shitless feeling AvP2 did for me.

watching some AvP2 videos...

am I seeing this right? You can actually be a facehugger in multi-player? Is that a special mod or something? :D Awesome!

Top Bottom