• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Fireteam Elite - Announce Trailer (Xbox One, Xbox Series, PS4, PS5, Steam)

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
The trailer showed nothing especial. Big fan of Aliens Colonial Marines Bug Hunt mode but that was back during the PS3 era, this trailer makes the game look generic. No campaign, no exploration, no vehicles, etc... just horde mode in a few maps? It's also coming for the PS4 so no next gen mechanics either. No different factions either?

At least the MP modes have to be better, full of objectives, dynamic gameplay with amazing graphics and detailed canon locations from the movies.

I dont know why they keep making these awsome franchises into total bare bones, wanky Co-op fests that get forgotten about two weeks later, look at that last Predator game for example..

It makes me puke. An Aliens game could be bloody brilliant and it wouldnt be hard to make it, at all. Who are these crazy arseholes who churn this dump out?

Do they KNOW the damn films, at all?

I could pen out an excellent Aliens game whilst taking a shit in the dark, and i'm a nob

It's not right.

I hope it's good, I really do. How many times do we have to suffer..

Yes please.

aliens GIF

Hugare

The xenomorph in the first movie was never up against space marine weaponry so I can't really see it as getting nerfed when it was never established how resistant they were against such weaponry.
Not an FPS 😪 but looks good.

Xenomorphs are monsters, Jason is literally a demon so he's OP. I haven't seen the Alien franchise but from what I could gather on Reddit they weren't easily dispatched, the first Alien movie didn't have a lot of resistance and they were all ordinary people vs. marines in the second movie.
I get it, but that doesnt change the fact that by making people more capable against the xenomorph, it kinda became a joke of a monster

And that's ridiculous, imo

In the first movie and Isolation, it's presented as an unkillable organism. Heck, it even bleeds acid ffs.

Prometheus and Covenant are far from perfect movies, but at least the xenomorph is a threat in those

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I get it, but that doesnt change the fact that by making people more capable against the xenomorph, it kinda became a joke of a monster

In the first movie and Isolation, it's presented as an unkillable organism. Heck, it even bleeds acid ffs.

Prometheus and Covenant are far from perfect movies, but at least the xenomorph is a threat in those
It was a threat in Aliens too. They killed a squad of marines, dammit.

Did IQs drop sharply while I was gone?

makaveli60

I love Alien stuff, but honestly, this looks like a super generic wave based co-op shooter.
Finally, someone! I thought I was crazy that I’m the only one who thinks this looks almost like a generic boring coop shooter with an Aliens skin. As an Alien fan, for me this is just the continuation of butchering this awesome franchise. Oh well, we still have Alien Isolation at least...

CitizenZ

Banned
When i saw the trailer i thought it was the devs who did Space Hulk Deathwing, but its not. Looks Ok and sure it will be fine.

Fredrik

Finally, someone! I thought I was crazy that I’m the only one who thinks this looks almost like a generic boring coop shooter with an Aliens skin. As an Alien fan, for me this is just the continuation of butchering this awesome franchise. Oh well, we still have Alien Isolation at least...
Wait is this co-op only??
I think it looks awesome but SP is a must!

xrnzaaas

I think that is a "problem" with basically any franchise. Even Terminator, you have a single one of them in the first movie wrecking an entire police department, vs in the future where humans are fighting and destroying endless amounts of them.

Personally I don't mind it but I also don't know how else it could be handled. If a single Alien was supposed to be nearly unstoppable, and there are a nearly limitless number of them, it isn't too compelling of a story that humans have absolutely zero chance.
Yeah those are good points, Terminators falling much easier was also what bothered me in later movies, but it would be hard to keep the concept from the original while keeping the viewers surprised and interested.

Last edited:

Mabdia

Well... it looks decent. If it have a good story mode that pays for the game, I might give it a chance.

any game that relies on teamwork is a no-go to me

I'm an old smug single-player bastard, I want to be the single hero, not share that glory with a bunch of other commandos

plus, you know fully well only Ripley survived from that cocky military team in Aliens...

Stuart360

any game that relies on teamwork is a no-go to me

I'm an old smug single-player bastard, I want to be the single hero, not share that glory with a bunch of other commandos

plus, you know fully well only Ripley survived from that cocky military team in Aliens...
You can play single player with AI team mates. But yeah if you mean literally on your own, cant do it.

Hmmmm. Cautiously optimistic, but we'll see. Wonder how much clown-car tomfoolery will be present. Marines with rainbow dreads? Shiny spandex underoos and blinking nipple LEDs? Chicken dancing at the start of the match?

Arachnid

The xenomorph in the first movie was never up against space marine weaponry so I can't really see it as getting nerfed when it was never established how resistant they were against such weaponry.
Regardless, they should at least be stealthy, nimble as hell, and actual threats. These things are 8+ feet tall, fast as hell, smart, survive the harshest conditions, and all six ends of their body are clawed/teethed. Crawling headfirst into advanced space weaponry fire hardly screams "The Perfect Organism". It's like they have no sense of self preservation or tactics. Just cannon fodder. I hated the second Aliens movie for the same reason. No way in hell any human should be able to physically overpower a Xeno the way Vasquez did in the shaft. They also shouldn't die by the hundreds mindlessly running into turrets. I can't think of a single real world animal that would do the same (false equivalence to an actual alien, sure, but I like to think a Xeno is smarter than most real world predators). Also, it may or may not factor in, but both movies featured different types of Xenos (the drone in the first movie vs the warriors in the second movie).

Lorewise, the Xeno's carapace is pretty strong. The weapons in the second Aliens movie punched through because they were futuristic, military grade, and had armor piecing capabilities (makes sense elite space marines would have the best weaponry too). Vasquez's pistol also eventually punched through, but that was after multiple shots to the same spot at point blank range. Normal civilian weaponry wouldn't do much, so the future setting is enough of an explanation for the weapons damage output. I'm just annoyed at how they act.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

It's far from a joke of a monster, it's still a huge threat. It's just that humans had to adapt and learn how to combat them. It's why the Colonial Marines exist.

Far from ridiculous IMO. I just think you're one of the fans that lean more into Alien than Aliens, and there's nothing wrong with that! I just personally love both, but I know not everyone feels the same. I have a lot of pals that are pro one than the other.

Than being said I STILL want an Isolation 2 (or something similar) and that will never change. But, we've had ONE really good Alien game that revolved around being hunted by a stealthy xeno. We still need one that leans hard into the warrior xeno experience as Colonial Marines was not good, and the AVP games while awesome shouldn't really count IMO.

They killed a squad of marines because of a series of shit situations, honestly. A series of poor choices and very damned circumstances. But remember how cocky and egotistical they were before hand. That carries on in the Aliens universe several years later when Colonial Marines have more experience and strategies on how to combat xenos. They also learn and know more about the xenos themselves. In the Alien trilogy, all of that information was new/fairly new/unheard of.

I know molasar molasar already addressed it, but yeah, this was rumored and talked about QUITE awhile ago. So much so that I honestly thought it could fizzle out of existence as nothing was shown the entire time, but here we are! For awhile it was rumored to be a Destiny-like title, and honestly I'm beyond happy we didn't get that, though I still would've played the hell out of it, lmao.

Also, also, in the Alien universe there are a LARGE variation of different xenos, all with similar but different looks. But their reaction and personalities are vastly different. Some of the most noticeable traits are the ones that hunt, sneak, and lurk their prey. Then there are others that attack in large waves and hordes, much like ants. Really just doing the complete opposite of hunting, sneaking, and lurking, haha.

Hugare

But the marines were able to fight back

My main point is them being able to fight back in the first place. It ruins the horror established by the first movie, that gave the impression that the Alien was unbeatable (so it was much more terrifying)

You talk about IQ but cant understand such a simple concept?

There are no Xeno's in Prometheus, and the Xeno is literally in the last 20mins of Covonant, and at a point where they have no ammo left.
Sorry, maybe I'm misremembering

Saw both movies a long time ago

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Looks good but I hate the Alien almost just as much as Star Wars.
It is DONE. Alien is not scary, it's not imposing... it's a known monster which everyone knows.
Putting 100 of the on the screen? Defeats the purpose even more

Stuart360

Regardless, they should at least be stealthy, nimble as hell, and actual threats. These things are 8+ feet tall, fast as hell, smart, survive the harshest conditions, and all six ends of their body are clawed/teethed. Crawling headfirst into advanced space weaponry fire hardly screams "The Perfect Organism". It's like they have no sense of self preservation or tactics. Just cannon fodder. I hated the second Aliens movie for the same reason. No way in hell any human should be able to physically overpower a Xeno the way Vasquez did in the shaft. They also shouldn't die by the hundreds mindlessly running into turrets. I can't think of a single real world animal that would do the same (false equivalence to an actual alien, sure, but I like to think a Xeno is smarter than most real world predators).

Lorewise, the Xeno's carapace is pretty strong. The weapons in the second Aliens movie punched through because they were futuristic, military grade, and had armor piecing capabilities (makes sense elite space marines would have the best weaponry too). Vasquez's pistol also eventually punched through, but that was after multiple shots to the same spot at point blank range. I guess the timeline explains it, so that part is fine. Normal civilian weaponry wouldn't do much, so the future setting is enough of an explanation for the weapons damage output. I'm just annoyed at how they act.
Vasquez had already shot that xeno 3 times, and she pinned its head with her foot, for a split second before shooting in multiple times in the face from point blank range. I'm pretty sure i could pin a gorillas head with my foot for a split second, doesnt mean the gorilla isnt many times more powerful than me.
As for the turret bit, if you actually listened to that bit, the xeno's were being smart and testing the defences. many insect colony's do the same thing.

GreyHorace

Shame it's a multiplayer shooter. Because that looked really good. I'd play it if it was single player.

And I don't get the complaints about colonial marines being able to slay xenomorphs. Don't you people remember what happened to the marines in Aliens? Despite their firepower, most of the marines got slaughtered by the swarm.

Ulysses 31

Regardless, they should at least be stealthy, nimble as hell, and actual threats. These things are 8 feet tall, fast as hell, smart, survive the harshest conditions, and all six ends of their body are clawed/teethed. Crawling headfirst into advanced space weaponry fire hardly screams "The Perfect Organism". It's like they have no sense of self preservation or tactics. Just cannon fodder. I hated the second Aliens movie for the same reason. No way in hell any human should be able to physically overpower a Xeno the way Vasquez did in the shaft. They also shouldn't die by the hundreds mindlessly running into turrets. I can't think of a single real world animal that would do the same (false equivalence to an actual alien, sure, but I like to think a Xeno is smarter than most real world predators).

Lorewise, the Xeno's carapace is pretty strong. The weapons in the second Aliens movie punched through because they were futuristic, military grade, and had armor piecing capabilities (makes sense elite space marines would have the best weaponry too). I guess that applies here too, so that part is fine. Normal civilian weaponry wouldn't do much.
I kinda agree that the xenomorph act more like a swarm with little regard to their own life too much in Aliens but they're still a big threat for civilians though. Never liked the "perfect organism" description from Ash either. Excellent hunter or something of the sort would've been more apt. Vasquez solo killing the alien with her gun didn't seem too out of the ordinary since she got a few shots in before the alien reached her and there was no room for the alien to do big lethal swings with its arms or tail while Vasquez had enough opportunity to keep firing on the alien.

VulcanRaven

Looks fun. I will definitely buy this at some point. Reminds me of Predator: Hunting Grounds. A multiplayer game with small budget. That game is great too.

Last edited:
lol reminds me of colonial marines with better graphics. hope its a looter shooter, mah weakness.

F* no! Colonial Marines was made by Gearbox, whose CEO is Pitchfork, who (next to Donald Trump, Todd Howard and Marcin Iwiński) is the biggest liar in the world. This looks a lot better.

Top Bottom