• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Fireteam Elite - Announce Trailer (Xbox One, Xbox Series, PS4, PS5, Steam)

Stuart360

i swear one more negative word from you in this thread sir,
and i will minigun your avatar xenoscum

Stuart360 Stuart360
no joke as a huge alien fan not a big fan of IGN i completely agree with their view on alien isolation.. it was an absolute shitfest way way waaaay too long. and the AI was fake af
One of my fave horror games of all time. Nothing wrong with your viewpoint at all. The thing with IGN though is that they are supposed to be proffesional reviewers, who can look past their own feelings and recognize the quality of a game, which that reviewer clearly didnt.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
One of my fave horror games of all time. Nothing wrong with your viewpoint at all. The thing with IGN though is that they are supposed to be proffesional reviewers, who can look past their own feelings and recognize the quality of a game, which that reviewer clearly didnt.
I like that sometimes.
Just a while ago again IGN really hated on 3D Mario world.. being pretty bad in controls. When everyone was just blindly 9+ Rating that game..

I don’t mind reviews being a bit personal.
but yeah i can also understand you liking the game. For me the atmosphere was just worth it eveything else was just not for me.

thankfully a more action themed aliens will arrive soon. So everyone can be happy.

fyi alien was better then aliens ;)

molasar

Banned
Same. I just want a decent/good/great colonial marines experience, so sue me. Like I've said before, this style of shooter has always made sense for the universe. ESPECIALLY as colonial marines.

I just really wish it was FPS, or there was a FPS/TPS toggle.

I wish to have another FPS but done right as a game. Not just a walking simulator with shooting elements.

R6Rider

Gold Member
What do not you understand? That I am sick and tired of walking simulators (aiming to be realistic) with some other elements added to them?
I understand clearly. The problem is that what you think is a walking simulator, isn't.

molasar

Banned
I understand clearly. The problem is that what you think is a walking simulator, isn't.

In a video game context, it is a game where a walking simulator template is used (moving in realistic looking 3D environment, usually with first person perspective view point) and gameplay itself feels like an afterthought. A perspective can be even toggled to third person fixed camera or over the shoulder one but it won't change a feeling of gameplay too much. Also surreal elements like color contrasts or exaggerated shapes that benefit perception are not used making it a chaotic mess or requiring to use augmented reality for it to be readable.

molasar

Banned

Ez6RL8BXEAIPJCZ

Ez6RPQxX0AUip27

Ez6RSzHWQAIznGa

Ez6XCjMX0AMG0As

Ez6XCjJXoAEvISG

molasar

Banned

z_60938e79adad0.jpg

z_60938e79a5e02.jpg

z_60938e79a2066.jpg

z_60938e79a9c9b.jpg

y_60938e799d2e1.jpg

Thanks to Hemi from avpgalaxy.net forum.

Last edited:

Calverz

z_60938e79adad0.jpg

z_60938e79a5e02.jpg

z_60938e79a2066.jpg

z_60938e79a9c9b.jpg

y_60938e799d2e1.jpg

I love how in these images the characters have zero emotion in their face. Like another day in the office shooting xenomorphs 2 meters away. Shits worse than Craig

Razvedka

Banned
I mean, in the Aliens universe that's not uncommon. It's why Marines referred to them as "bugs", at that point they knew how to combat them. So while they were still a threat, they had the tech and gear to do what they needed to defend themselves.

This is also 23 years after the Alien trilogy. Surely tech and weaponry has improved since then. Not to mention the xenomorphs have been around long enough for humans to know what's effective and what isn't.
Iirc the quote from Hudson was "This going to be a standup fight or another bug hunt?"

Which to me implies that he's not literally talking about dealing with a certain kind of dangerous alien life form vs "Are we going to have to root around and track stuff down/waste time or can we just show up and kick ass".

The Colonial Marines were not familiar nor fully prepared for the Xenomorphs, though I agree with the poster you quoted that the movie, excellent as it was, really didn't show this. Cameron made sure the Marines were handicapped in the initial fight by taking most of their ammo, and between that and how many aliens easily get dragged throughout the movie by small arms fire I think it cheapens the lethality of the creature as laid out in the original.

Dr.Morris79

Iirc the quote from Hudson was "This going to be a standup fight or another bug hunt?"

Which to me implies that he's not literally talking about dealing with a certain kind of dangerous alien life form vs "Are we going to have to root around and track stuff down/waste time or can we just show up and kick ass".

The Colonial Marines were not familiar nor fully prepared for the Xenomorphs, though I agree with the poster you quoted that the movie, excellent as it was, really didn't show this. Cameron made sure the Marines were handicapped in the initial fight by taking most of their ammo, and between that and how many aliens easily get dragged throughout the movie by small arms fire I think it cheapens the lethality of the creature as laid out in the original.
But in the second, even though small arms fire could kill them it was about the numbers and their determination. They probably would have been boned if they didnt lose the ammo..

wipeout364

Super excited for this. Left for dead is the perfect genre to make an Alien game. I read the prequel novel and part of the set up is they are using the black material from Prometheus to create hybrid aliens so this will be the explanation for the varied aliens you have in the game. The book has cloaking one, telepathic ones, and higher intelligence versions. The book ALIEN INFILTRATOR is ok not something to get super excited about but it’s a good read if you like aliens and some goofy horror.

Rat Rage

For an Alien game this looks like ASS beyond belief. They are not fighting xenos, they are fighting slow, harmless dogs. This is literally an Alien game for super cacuals, who've bought their first console.

And yet again, even in the year 2021, Alien vs Predator 1 and 2 for PC have not been surpassed as an "Aliens" game, not even close.

Alien Isolation was a really good Alien game, but so far there hasn't been a great Aliens game.

(Come to think of it, not only is AvP 1/2 the best "Aliens" game, it's also the best Predator game to this day).

molasar

Banned
For an Alien game this looks like ASS beyond belief. They are not fighting xenos, they are fighting slow, harmless dogs. This is literally an Alien game for super cacuals, who've bought their first console.

And yet again, even in the year 2021, Alien vs Predator 1 and 2 for PC have not been surpassed as an "Aliens" game, not even close.

Alien Isolation was a really good Alien game, but so far there hasn't been a great Aliens game.

(Come to think of it, not only is AvP 1/2 the best "Aliens" game, it's also the best Predator game to this day).

LMAO It is a video game, not cinematic walking simulator.

You should not assume that other gamers and Alien franchise fans share your opinions.

IMO PC's AvP 1 and 2 are not that great. I played both of them on release date. The first one is too chaotic visually during action and the second was worse gameplay wise than the first one. Also nothing special story wise in comparison to MGS2 which was released the same year.

A:Isolation is a really bad game gameplay wise. I would never be excited for any game offering such gameplay.

The best Alien franchise games are Capcom's AvP, Jag's AvP and Alien Trilogy (PS1 version). Also it seems that FireTeam will join them too.

The best Predator games are Capcom's AvP, Predator: Concrete Jungle and Predator: Hunting Grounds.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

IMO PC's AvP 1 and 2 are not that great. I played both of them on release date. The first one is too chaotic visually during action and the second was worse gameplay wise than the first one. Also nothing special story wise in comparison to MGS2 which was released the same year.
Really? I thought their multiplayer components were incredibly, haha. AVP having real-time lighting was a blast I thought. Being a predator or an alien and shooting out lights. It was terrifying for marines, lmao.

AVP2 was definitely more chaotic, but the fact they had the alien's lifecycle in multiplayer was really cool I thought.

I still think this could potentially be the best "Aliens" game we have. Even if it's just decent, I'll be BEYOND happy. I'm assuming they're planning to do a content + release date drop REAL soon, it's why they've been so quite on social media, etc. Plus, in that interview above there's absolutely nothing new revealed, so it's kind of strange if they're still aiming for summer 2021, which they say they are. So, more details have to be imminent. 👀

Stuart360

z_60938e79adad0.jpg

z_60938e79a5e02.jpg

z_60938e79a2066.jpg

z_60938e79a9c9b.jpg

y_60938e799d2e1.jpg

Why do the xeno's look 5 feet tall, when they are supposed to be around 8 foot?.

Still looking forwards to this though.

molasar

Banned
Really? I thought their multiplayer components were incredibly, haha. AVP having real-time lighting was a blast I thought. Being a predator or an alien and shooting out lights. It was terrifying for marines, lmao.

AVP2 was definitely more chaotic, but the fact they had the alien's lifecycle in multiplayer was really cool I thought.

I still think this could potentially be the best "Aliens" game we have. Even if it's just decent, I'll be BEYOND happy. I'm assuming they're planning to do a content + release date drop REAL soon, it's why they've been so quite on social media, etc. Plus, in that interview above there's absolutely nothing new revealed, so it's kind of strange if they're still aiming for summer 2021, which they say they are. So, more details have to be imminent. 👀

IMO

I don't enjoy mouse/keyboard controls in FPS games at all. Yes, AvP'99 was novelty for its time but it was still too chaotic.

AvP2 is nowhere close to dynamics of AvP'99. The lifecycle did not do anything for me as I focus more on enjoyable gameplay as you know. Mainly arcadey style.

I guess their marketing will be coordinated with publishers they cooperate with.

molasar

Banned
Why do the xeno's look 5 feet tall, when they are supposed to be around 8 foot?.

Still looking forwards to this though.

Their Xenos are not 1 to 1 representation of what we saw in films.

I myself stopped carrying about these details as long as aesthetic cool factor is still there and it works in the game.

In the end it will be all about gameplay feel for me.

Rat Rage

LMAO It is a video game, not cinematic walking simulator.

What are you talking about? The first AvP games were not cinematic walking simulators, nor do I want one. If anything, the new footage of Aliens Fireteam looks more like a cinematic walking simulator, because the aliens are mere cannon fodder. They don't pose a threat at all.

Multiplayer in AvP was way more intense. If an Alien managed to come close to you (and they did, because they were fast), you were dead. And certain Mods like AJL MOD focused on that aspect even more, because as an alien you could knock Marines over, which was a guaranteed kill.

VN1X

Banned
What are you talking about? The first AvP games were not cinematic walking simulators, nor do I want one. If anything, the new footage of Aliens Fireteam looks more like a cinematic walking simulator, because the aliens are mere cannon fodder. They don't pose a threat at all.
Dude it's their take on a co-op shooter set in the Alien universe. They can make the Xenomorphs however they'd like. Increase the difficulty and I'm sure you'll come across Special Xenomorphs that take a lot of firepower/tactics to take down.

Not every iteration of a franchise needs to adhere to strict rulesets. I love Alien(s) (even Prometheus!) but it's so incredibly reductive and silly to disregard a game purely because the enemies aren't exactly like the stereotype established in an old film lol.

Last edited:

GrayFoxPL

I fucking hate how they nerfed the xenomorph in the sequels

Killing hundreds of them with submachines ... Disgusting

It's like making a sequel to Friday the 13th where you kill hundreds of Jasons. Totally kills the vibe of the original character and how menacing it really is.

So nah, I'll keep replaying Alien Isolation

YES! Finally someone fucking said it!

They turned xenomorph invasion into pumpkin shooter!

Last edited:

N30RYU

just turn friendly fire on and shooting the harmless dogs will be team carnage.

Looks really average and if it weren't for the Aliens branding, nobody would give a crap about this game.
Outriders, Deep Rock Galactic, L4D are all superior to this.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
YES! Finally someone fucking said it!

They turned xenomorph invasion into pumpkin shooter!
both movies have deserved there place imo.

One is a horror game.
The other is action game.

When i was younger i prefered Aliens.
Now i prefer Alien.

Can't wait to play this game with some friends.

Top Bottom