• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Fireteam Elite - Announce Trailer (Xbox One, Xbox Series, PS4, PS5, Steam)

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
man the game is just so damn boring.. i couldn't even care enough to finish the first mission ,
i refunded,

maybe when it hits 10 in the future i will try again.
but right now it's just not scary in any way

I kinda felt the same at first like, have I done the right thing but I progressed and found it getting more intense. Then again, I've never played The Division, Destiny or R6 so this is new to me but as it stands, for a half price game I'm more than happy with it and enjoying the grind to level up my class and weapons.

I'd say the game is worth it at $20 but they are really selling you an early access game with 4 levels and a horde mode for $40.

12 largish levels and a horde mode, not 4. 4 missions, 3 levels per mission. I just finished the 6th level last night with a friend and we got hammered in the last standoff before the mission end. Had to restart it again with a respec'd load out. It was certainly intense and the Challenge cards really add to the game too.

Would be nice if some of the DLC was Aliens What If? Based on the aborted scripts.

Anchorpoint Mall
Stained glass Aliens on the wooden planet
Eric Red's Hicksville Colony...no wait scratch that one. 😏😅

Last edited:

Yamisan

Is this game dead online already? Just got it last night and was only able to find human players for 1 story mission so far. =\

MiguelItUp

Is this game dead online already? Just got it last night and was only able to find human players for 1 story mission so far. =\
Nah, far from it! They were having some matchmaking issues on console, especially Xbox, but I think they're resolved now. However, the matchmaking is pretty basic and just looking for EXACT settings rather than any available game. Weird, I know, but just one of those QoL things. They at least acknowledged it and said they'll be looking into it. So in the meantime, if you're not finding someone if you change the map or difficulty you may get better results.

If you have almost no chance, there's a lot of really cool folks in the community constantly looking for games on all platforms.

MiguelItUp

Looking to pick this up today for PS5. Don’t really have anyone to play with. Will playing solo with AI on an easier setting be ok?
Honestly I've played majority of the game with AI and haven't had a ton of issues. Definitely moments where AI whiffed it, but it didn't happen TOO often. Difficulty matters, along with the class you play, along with your rank and level. But it all is really tolerable IMO.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Man, loving this game so far (up to 3rd mission, 3rd campaign). I've not tried horde mode so this may be what that is, but I would love a semi randomly created derelict ship/colony mode where you had to breach, perhaps rescue some survivors, gain control of the facility, and wipe out the infestation. Let me cut open doors, seal them behind me, patch up alien ingress points, set up sentry guns to watch down back corridors, etc. Heck, almost a TPS tower defense type scenario.

They've done a great job with the weapons so far. Love being able to short load the pump and damn if that stock pistol can't pop heads from across the map :p I'd like a better melee option than just push/buttstroke though, at least a shock prod stick or something (which may be a later option) to slow down those brutes.

Looking forward to more campaigns. I'd like to replay LV-426 in some capacity, or maybe an outbreak on the Sulaco with narrative elements of Hicks, Newt, and Ripley dealing with it after Aliens. Not sure just how far they can go with the IP though.

A Predator option would be cool but I'm not sure the game would handle it well. It would likely be a bullet sponge with some nasty ranged attacks (plasma cannon and immobilizing webs) and brutal melee with the wrist blades. Probably best if it just showed up on the edges of a mission just to wreck shit while you are trying to do something else, assuming it is even a possibility at all.

MiguelItUp

Looking forward to more campaigns. I'd like to replay LV-426 in some capacity, or maybe an outbreak on the Sulaco with narrative elements of Hicks, Newt, and Ripley dealing with it after Aliens. Not sure just how far they can go with the IP though.

A Predator option would be cool but I'm not sure the game would handle it well. It would likely be a bullet sponge with some nasty ranged attacks (plasma cannon and immobilizing webs) and brutal melee with the wrist blades. Probably best if it just showed up on the edges of a mission just to wreck shit while you are trying to do something else, assuming it is even a possibility at all.
The devs have said there's more to show, more to talk about, and more characters to introduce around LV-895. So I guess we'll continue to see a whole lot more of that, but I'm more than okay with that!

I was thinking it'd be cool if they could eventually produce Horde maps that are specific areas we recognize from different films, etc. Honestly, I'd just like to see the game treated even more so like a celebration of the films and universe. It already kind of is that, but I want even moar, selfishly, lmao.

I think it'd be cool to see a Predator game handled this way, or an AVP game even. But I think it's so good that we finally have an Aliens game like this. Now we just need more. Alien has Isolation, Aliens has Fireteam Elite. I want them sequels and bigger budgets, lmao.

jason10mm

Gold Member
"Each new season will include free content, a free playable class, as well some paid DLC cosmetics ."

Oh f that! No way am I paying for cosmetic bullshit...

Here is a dropship drone that flies around your head!

TAKE MY MONEY!!!!

Last edited:
"Each new season will include free content, a free playable class, as well some paid DLC cosmetics ."

TAKE MY MONEY!!!!

p7X9MEE.jpg

MiguelItUp

The bots are actually pretty cool on lower difficulty settings. Alpha and Beta put in the work lol.
Right?! On Casual and Standard they can pull their weight decently.

TAKE MY MONEY!!!!
I'm gonna buy everything, lmao. I wanna support this as best I can.

Sygma

Man the amount of shit you get in hidden caches / in horde mode is literally game changing, particularly the hidden perks

Same about some random drops from intense and up, weapons wise. God I hate rng

jason10mm

Gold Member
Man the amount of shit you get in hidden caches / in horde mode is literally game changing, particularly the hidden perks

Same about some random drops from intense and up, weapons wise. God I hate rng
So, is it worth it to drop down on easy just to finish off the missions and unlock horde mode? I'm slugging through the campaign with the gunner and demo and doing some grinding when I hit an end fight wall.

Anyone play around with the heavy shit like rocket launchers, snipers, and grenade launchers? These weapons seem ill suited to the campaign mode and the generally tight quarters combat but maybe they work better than I think and are worth saving up cred for.

Bryank75

Banned
Made by ColdIron studios, who are owned by Daybreak games..... who used to be Sony Online Entertainment.

Why didn't Sony just keep them if they wanted to do games on other platforms?

Now they have to undermine PlayStation to publish a few games on PC..... stupidity.

VN1X

Banned
I maxed all classes and am now going through Extreme difficulty. Only two more missions remaining and then it's on to Insane!

*cries in corner*

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I maxed all classes and am now going through Extreme difficulty. Only two more missions remaining and then it's on to Insane!

*cries in corner*
You still using alpha and beta? I'd be very curious how you are doing it, how tactics change, etc. I feel like my sloppy "spray and pray" tactics in standard mode won't do so well at higher levels :p

VN1X

Banned
You still using alpha and beta? I'd be very curious how you are doing it, how tactics change, etc. I feel like my sloppy "spray and pray" tactics in standard mode won't do so well at higher levels :p
I've never played with the synths lol. It's pretty much impossible to do on anything higher than intense with those bots I'd say.

If you can't find any people to play with just go to the main discord and check the LFG channel. I've had no issue squading-up that way.

Last edited:

Yamisan

Spent 30 minutes on the first level of mission 2 with 2 strangers. I believe we were at the end ,
the bridge got bombed as we ran arcross,
and holy crap this was epic with the black and white challenge card. Instead of continuing to run as told to be the npc they just stood out in the huge open area getting us destroyed =\

jason10mm

Gold Member
Anyone else get a server error this am and not be able to play a mission? I'd rather this game not require a server.

On the plus side, I had one of the campaign 2 missions swap out mines for turrets. Neat little variable.

On the down side, I am getting my lunch HANDED to me today!

Reactions: Isa

MrFunSocks

Banned
Really fun game. Here is our official review in glorious 4K60 - thanks to the publisher for the code. Game was reviewed on Xbox Series X.

Please tell me you don't play with those damage numbers on all the time? completely ruins the look of the game IMO, you can't see aliens, just pointless numbers

Isa

This game is pretty damn fun and can be intense as well. I love having that Aliens vibe the whole way. Plus the whole lore and universe plus the art style is fantastic. Of the various L4D style games this is among my favorites. I'm looking forward to the various upcoming loadout kits.

Please tell me you don't play with those damage numbers on all the time? completely ruins the look of the game IMO, you can't see aliens, just pointless numbers
Actually, it was turned off by default. I much prefer numbers, its a thing that I grew up on with in World of Warcraft. Gives massive satisfaction too see how hard your hitting. Its not that bad man. Also, there is a challenge card that removes entire HUD including cross hair and rewards you with 2x experience and credits and is very immersive. The numbers is a preference thing id say. But that's just me. I am not gonna make excuses here to make myself look good, yes I like damage numbers haha feel free to judge all you want.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Does the game have any shooting gallery in the base to try diferent weapons damage outputs?
Not that I have seen. When you're adding attachments to your weapons you can see all the damage figures etc though by your combat rating.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Does the game have any shooting gallery in the base to try diferent weapons damage outputs?
No, and the fact that you can run around the base blasting in effectually at everything makes the omission of a shooting range even more odd.

I want an arms room with all my gear on display and specific weapon load outs saved for easy access. I want a range with silly 2D alien pop ups (and some silly Men in Black style aliens) so I can work out damage drop off.

xn0

I just finished the main game and played a few horde games and I'm having a good time. I'm a huge aliens fan and this game gave me exactly what I wanted, a horde game with aliens. That being said I feel the disappointing parts of this game are the missed opportunities. After I finished the game I instantly thought they should add the following:
  • A big boss battle or two would be nice
  • A mission or game mechanic where one of your teammates gets captured, dragged away, cocooned, and you have to rescue them
  • They could have doubled the story missions with simple timed point A to B missions fighting front and behind with limited ammo
  • More variety in horde mode (I feel every horde encounter in the story mode could be a horde mode map)
I would love to see a sequel to this game with more budget and I'm going to be interested in what the DLC will be. One thing Cold Iron Studio's could do (especially since they use UE4) would be opening this game up to the PC mod community, I'd love to see a map editor and what other peoples ideas are.

Last edited:
Top Bottom