• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All banned 360s get unbanned for a few hours and then rebanned, cause unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zertez

I doubt this was intended. While it is a decent way to get some old people back, it is a good way to upset a group of paying customers as well. Im sure there is good size pool of people who were banned for conduct, and allowing them to play again is a quick way to offend a lot of people.

MS would have to spend resources on banning people all over. In the mean time you risk losing people who dont cause problems/cheat/hack and that have paid for LIVE. For me it doesnt seem worth it, but maybe MS has something in mind. There is a reason they were banned in the first place, allowing them back seems like it will cause more problems in the long run.

DiddyBop

I downloaded the official update off the MS website. When I tried to connect to live I was still banned. Dunno if I did something wrong?
Besides gettin banned in the first place lulz. Hopefully ms will allow us to start over with a clean slate

felipepl said:
Wait, wait... is this... true?
Holy console lord, what a rollercoaster week.

Now what? Steam is hacked and all games sold for US$ 1 for 24 hrs?

As much as I would love for this to happen...I don't want it to happen. My wallet would implode.

So apparently how an Xbox was modified plays a role in determining whether a previously banned console will be able to connect to LIVE again. If your Xbox is j-tagged then you will remain banned, however, if your xbox just has a flashed disc drive then you should be able to connect to LIVE again.

Going by this info it's safe to say that Microsoft is really confident in their new disc format.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Emperor Bohe said:
As much as I would love for this to happen...I don't want it to happen. My wallet would implode.

Ubisoft fucked up their online store in Australia the other week and all of their games were $0 for quite a few hours.

let's just say they email out CD keys the moment you make your order.

surly

Banned
Zertez said:
I doubt this was intended. While it is a decent way to get some old people back, it is a good way to upset a group of paying customers as well. Im sure there is good size pool of people who were banned for conduct, and allowing them to play again is a quick way to offend a lot of people.
Those people would have received gamertag bans though. Console bans usually happen when someone modifies the machine and tries to use it on Live.

Choabac

johnFkennedy said:
So apparently it depends on how you modded your xbox in order to be able to connect to LIVE. If your Xbox is j-tagged then you will remain banned, however, if your xbox just has a flashed disc drive then you should be able to connect to LIVE again.

Going by this info it's safe to say that Microsoft is really confident in their new disc format.

*Googles 'J-tagged'*

So if a person physically modded their 360 it's still banned, but if it was a pure software mod (flashing disc drive?) then those systems are unbanned?

Mine is not modded in anyway, I'm just curious what exactly is going on.

eastmen

Banned
anyone think that MS found a way to stop the flashed drives from reading discs with the new update (or the new discs ) and thus no longer cares ?

Choabac said:
*Googles 'J-tagged'*

So if a person physically modded their 360 it's still banned, but if it was a pure software mod (flashing disc drive?) then those systems are unbanned?

In a nutshell, yes. The j-tagged Xboxes are the ones that allow for hacking to happen over live, whereas the flashed ones just permit you to play games you've burned yourself.

Shiggy

Sounds reasonable, now those people can buy/download games from the online store (those which cannot be burned).

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Choabac said:
*Googles 'J-tagged'*

Only JTAG ones can run unsigned code i think, and so run emulators, players, run games from harddisk, whatever app you write for it. The dvd firmware flash only lets you play pirated copies.

JTAG capable consoles are rare though, unless they found new ways to do it.

stealth edit: beaten.

from a business standpoint, it makes sense for them to not ban pirates
they'll continue pirating anyway, and if you let them be online they'll buy xbox live gold, DLC and xbla games

but yeah, it probably is some kind of trolling by MS
unban them for 3 days, then bring the new and improved banhammer down while they're still celebrating, hilarious

Shiggy said:
Sounds reasonable, now those people can buy/download games from the online store (those which cannot be burned).

Microsoft wouldn't let those guys back on Live if they thought they would continue to be able to play burned games. They must have found a fool proof method of preventing just that, and now want those customers back in hopes that they'll start buying games legitimately.

Zertez

surly said:
Those people would have received gamertag bans though. Console bans usually happen when someone modifies the machine and tries to use it on Live.
Hmm thought you could receive a console ban for repeated conduct violations as well, guess I was mistaken. Even if it isnt conduct, cheating/map hackers/etc in games are just as frustrating and make you want to quit playing.

Enco

Kandrick said:
That whole PSN story really made some people upset eh.
No. I don't care about the PSN thing. Haven't used my ps3 in a looong time and have no details on my account.

I'm just finding all this news entertaining.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Choabac said:
Hmm, maybe the ban lifts were a mistake then? Otherwise they would have let them all back.

Maybe a mistake, maybe some tests for the new update/disc format thing. Who knows!

Zomba13

So... has nintendo had the best online service this week/last week?
What kind of sick world have I woken up in?

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
-viper- said:
All the unbanned consoles are now rebanned. Yay.

bZIOy.jpg

my bad guys

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Strike said:
Free Crushed

It's pretty safe to assume that if someone has been permed for more than 3-4 months, they've re-regged if they want to be posting. Yeah, it's ban evasion, but the worst penalty for it is just being banned again, so game theory makes it a no-loss situation.

The real question is once they re-reg, are they smart enough to not put their identity in their registration info (there's a lot of perm -> register with their old username but backwards this time or with a 2.0 at the end -> how did this plan not work!?), and are they smart enough to contribute without being detected?

itxaka

Defeatist
Stumpokapow said:
It's pretty safe to assume that if someone has been permed for more than 3-4 months, they've re-regged if they want to be posting. Yeah, it's ban evasion, but the worst penalty for it is just being banned again, so game theory makes it a no-loss situation.

The real question is once they re-reg, are they smart enough to not put their identity in their registration info (there's a lot of perm -> register with their old username but backwards this time or with a 2.0 at the end -> how did this plan not work!?), and are they smart enough to contribute without being detected?

Stump is Crushed :O

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Stumpokapow said:
It's pretty safe to assume that if someone has been permed for more than 3-4 months, they've re-regged if they want to be posting. Yeah, it's ban evasion, but the worst penalty for it is just being banned again, so game theory makes it a no-loss situation

What did Crushed get banned for anyway!?

OH HOW I WISH POST HISTORY WAS WORKING, EVILORE! *wistful sigh*

Detox said:
So was this an accident or did MS just make sure their new security could catch all the previous hacks?

Can't be a mix of both?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
beast786 said:
Halo, Gears, Call of duty. Biggest 3 franchise on 360 and all depend on online.

Pirating is not the only reason those people were banned. Plus, there is no such thing as "Impossible" when it comes to hacking. I think we learned that for sure.
Really depends if you play online. My 360 hasn't even been connected to the internet in about 6 months, I don't use the feature enough to hook it up in a timely manner. I do have a new router and some more Ethernet cables, so I'll likely hook it back up soon.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
TheSeks said:
What did Crushed get banned for anyway!?

OH HOW I WISH POST HISTORY WAS WORKING, EVILORE! *wistful sigh*

Wouldn't matter, Crushed and all his posts were manually deleted.

Edit- Or perhaps I'm thinking of another banned user.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Andrex said:
Wouldn't matter, Crushed and all his posts were manually deleted.

Edit- Or perhaps I'm thinking of another banned user.
Yeah, I know who you mean, but can't remember offhand the user name. You can still find some people who quoted him though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom