• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All games which feature RPG mechanics / upgrades should also have New Game Plus

OZ9000

Banned
Every single AAA game released now has some kind of RPG / upgrading mechanic, where you have to try to find all collectibles/upgrade tokens/grind for random shit, in an effort to lengthen the game.

For a first playthrough that is fine, but what if you want to replay a game?

I find these aspects on a 2nd playthrough incredibly tedious.

I wish developers would allow you to restart a game from scratch with all your pre-existing upgrades. God Of War 2018 did it well - I replayed the game on NG+ and did not have to complete a single side mission. I breezed through the single player campaign and enjoyed it.

Now trying to play Halo Infinite on the other hand is a little annoying. I am forced to repeat the same 'capture the base' quest over and over again as I move through the entire map, and hunt for all the Spartan cores to upgrade my suit.

Remnant: From the Ashes did this pretty well I thought. When you finish the campaign you can re-roll it, and you get some new bosses too because some are RNG decided. You get to keep all your gear and everything.

cormack12

Gold Member
To be honest NG+ is a requirement of poor game design. Why are you only unlocking the cool, fun abilities when you have 10 or so hours to go.

I'm OK with power increasing, weapon buffs and augments but hiding abilities behind playtime or skill points generally pisses me off - even worse when you can max out every tree as well.

OZ9000

Banned
I mean, you could just use cheats at this point, if the whole idea is to become overpowered and all that.

I'd rather the game offer everything that is available to do upfront, so you can complete everything in a single run.
I usually ramp up the difficulty to compensate.

I prefer NG plus because you don't waste time looking for items or unlocking random crap.

You just focus and play on the game with no added B.S.

But it's just a general gripe - I hate grinding for items/upgrades.

Last edited:

Zug

I dislike doing the same things twice so ng+ is a big no. I very rarely replay games too, except a few select ones where I can sometimes enjoy being in some kind of comfort zone.
Also most of the time you just roll on everything on ng+, game balance is out the window and there is nothing to discover, I don't see the point at all.
Thus first playthrough is often the last one, but it's always slow and thorough. I'm 250h into Elden Ring and just reached the end game zones.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I like how In games like Shin Megmi Tensei V it gives options...
Shin-Megami-Tensei-V_New-Game-Plus_Newborn.png

Shin-Megami-Tensei-V_New-Game-Plus_Reborn.png

Triangle Strategy also has very interesting NG+.
Triangle_Strategy_New_Plus_4.jpg

FeldMonster

I mean, you could just use cheats at this point, if the whole idea is to become overpowered and all that.

I'd rather the game offer everything that is available to do upfront, so you can complete everything in a single run.
I can't even name a single game today that has cheats. I wish they would make a comeback.

I miss the times when I could use Game Genie or Game Shark.

FeldMonster

More than just RPGs should have New Game Plus.

I really wish I could get a New Game Plus mode in Halo 5 that would allow me to pull my REQ weapons/vehicles at my discretion. Would make the hundreds of REQs I have more useful, as I spend most of my time playing in Arena (Ranked Slayer mostly), not Warzone, though Warzone Firefight can be quite fun at times.

WoJ

New Game + is my favorite feature in gaming that I rarely use. I don't replay a ton of games, but when I do ones with New Game + go to the top of line.

Top Bottom