• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All "Guitar/Band/DJ Hero" DLC will be removed after March 31, 2014

xX3KtSh.jpg

Sad to say that the downloadable songs for the Guitar Hero, DJ Hero and Band Hero games, and the Guitar Hero mobile game will no longer be available after March 31, 2014. The Guitar Hero servers will stay online and any previously purchased downloadable content is unaffected by this change.

We want to thank all of you for supporting Guitar Hero over the last nine years. To celebrate this great community, selected songs and tracks will be available for as much as a 50% discount on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Wii from now until the end of the month.
For more information, please visit the store on your console.

Also, over at the iTunes store, the mobile game will also be available at a special discount until the end of the month.

(Facebook)

----

What could this mean? It’s very much in line (to me) with rumours regarding the next GH being subscription based. It could also just mean that the DLC isn’t selling anymore and it’s not worth Activision’s CoD money to relicense it for further use.

What could this mean? It’s very much in line (to me) with rumours regarding the next GH being subscription based. It could also just mean that the DLC isn’t selling anymore and it’s not worth Activision’s CoD money to relicense it for further use.

Sadly, I think this is more likely. I just don't see a new GH game coming out in the near future, as much as I would love one. I've been desperate for a new RB or GH, and there is nothing to scratch my itch (I'm not a fan of the real guitar games).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I wonder if RB DLC is long for this world. It probably has a little more life because of Blitz, but I can't imagine they're going to keep paying for those tracks in the long term.

Eh, the DLC was always a ripoff anyway. I never minded paying $10 for a discounted Guitar Hero or Rock Band game with 50 songs on it, but there was no way I was ever going to pay $10 for a 3 song DLC pack.

I wonder if RB DLC is long for this world. It probably has a little more life because of Blitz, but I can't imagine they're going to keep paying for those tracks in the long term.

Its already being drained of life, albeit slowly. Tracks have been coming down periodically over the last year or so. They have made more attempts to re-license than Activision obviously has however. They probably just had a longer contract, and have no interest in relicensing.

Anyone know if there is a list out there?

It would be great if they slashed prices on all of the individual songs as well. I would honestly buy a lot of stuff if they did.

libregkd

Harmonix has been renewing liscensing for their DLC however there are certain ones that have not been renewed like Metallica and Red Hot Chili Peppers and have been taken down.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Activision gonna Activision, barely any heads up on the removal :/

Harmonix posts quaterly updates about what is not being relicensed and with ample time to buy them too, so you'll know when it'll be on its last legs.
Still, yes, I don't think any DLC will be purchasable in say, 3 years time (unless a new RB comes out and is a hit, obviously)

Ludist210

They seem to be doing okay...they relicense stuff that expires every month, but artist choose to discontinue it at certain intervals. 36 songs have been removed to date (out of the nearly 1,700 that they've released since 2008), but the rest are still present. Guitar Hero's total DLC never sniffed that number.

Still a sad day to see it all disappear at the end of the month.

shandy706

I wish they would release a "Guitar Hero Ultimate" / "Rockband Complete" version of these games before the download servers drop. At this point in time no one is buying all those individual tracks. Why not give us every single track in one package for $60-$100???

I suppose that might stop people from buying a reboot down the road and paying for everything....again...meh.

Unless they did and I missed it.

I wish they would release a "Guitar Hero Ultimate" / "Rockband Complete" version of these games before the download servers drop. At this point in time no one is buying all those individual tracks. Why not give us every single track in one package for $60-$100???
I don't think song rights work for $100 to be enough.

Damn right. I still remember when everyone was holding their breath over how well the first GHII song pack would sell.

I'm more of a RB guy, but is there any great exclusive DLC to check out?

The Neversoft bands and free packs were probably the best out of the GH DLC. From the Blue/Point of No Return/TTRTS from An Endless Sporadic was probably my favorite song to play in the series.

Is any of the DJ Hero 1/2 DLC worth it?
I'll look through the packs when I get home but I believe it was a Tiesto pack that I've out a bunch of time into. But it also fits my musical tastes as it featured a song with Tegan and Sara.

I wouldn't mind grabbing a couple more packs, especially since I just played more DJ Hero 2 the other night. Continually working on getting all my scores into the top 500 and better range.

DJ Hero 2 was such an improvement over the first one and I wish this industry had some kind of deals that didn't involve DLCs going into oblivion after their concession ended.

What's the rationale for not putting EVERY song on sale so they at least get money from them before they are gone for good? I really don't get that.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
the final nail in the humongous cardboard pyramidal coffin in the middle of the Best Buy entrance

bobawesome

I can't imagine too many people bought dlc for the Guitar Hero franchise, anyway. It always felt like an afterthought compared to what Rockband was offering.

Damn right. I still remember when everyone was holding their breath over how well the first GHII song pack would sell.

I'm more of a RB guy, but is there any great exclusive DLC to check out?

Eagles Pack
Phish (Live)
Steely Dan "Kid Charlemagne"
Black Betty
Brad Paisley "Ticks"
Vampire Weekend Pack

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I just realized, does this impact song importing at all? I might as well try to find copies of those old games and try to export everything to Warriors of Rock or whatever the last GH game was.

Woffls

With two weeks notice? Thanks, Activision :\

Hopefully that's enough time for me to redownload all the songs I bought, and buy some new ones. I still play Guitar Hero, and I am actually looking to buy a new guitar so I can carry on playing.

Definitely picking up those ADTR tunes :D

With two weeks notice? Thanks, Activision :\

Hopefully that's enough time for me to redownload all the songs I bought, and buy some new ones. I still play Guitar Hero, and I am actually looking to buy a new guitar so I can carry on playing.

Definitely picking up those ADTR tunes :D

Purchased DLC stays downloadable forever. This is just like the Gran Turismo 5 DLC (Save for 2 of it)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't know if the servers are getting hammered or are just flakey, but it looks like the cost of importing is 50% off as well. So maybe they'll be shutting that down completely too...

Of course, there are no copies of Warriors of Rock or Metallica anywhere. lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
DJ Hero DLC works for both games, right?

Edit: Looks like PSN hasn't updated yet with the new prices, for DJ Hero at least.

Fox Mulder

I sold all my stuff off awhile ago, but found a guitar at goodwill for nothing which got me interested in them again.

I'll have to check these out.

oh, they've got The Touch by Stan Bush for free.

Are you under the impression you won't be able to download this content later on? Because you can.

So many people seem confused about this.

You won't if you don't buy it within the next 2 weeks (or already bought it). I am confused by your post (in link with who you quoted).

If you meant that people who already bought the songs will always be able to download them again then yes, you are right. Looks like there is confusion about that!

Top Bottom