• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All Playstation Platforms to use Playready which points to a significant PS3 update

This is just confirming what we already should know since the choice to use Playready by all US CE platforms was decided sometime in 2011 when Sony announced they were to use Playready and Playready was chosen as the common DRM to be used by all Cable companies to support DLNA CVP2 = Vidipath = RUI (Playready and WMDRM10 which is a subset of Playready for DTCP-IP). Anyone who wishes to become part of the DLNA CVP2 ecosystem must use Playready DRM.

Sony Job posting 10/31/2014 Principal Engineer specializing in PlayReady

The primary role involves securing a well-known DRM solution to be used on PLAYSTATION®3, PlayStation®4 and PSVita™ for multimedia applications. You will be part of a small team composed of other software engineers based in London. You will work with this team to enhance the implementation and support integration. This is a contract role with the possibility to extend its duration.

Responsibilities
• Porting and securing of software components on multiple platforms such as PLAYSTATION®3, PlayStation®4 and PSVita™.
• Keeping implementation on target to meet a tight schedule
• Supporting the integration of software components with client applications being designed and implemented on parallel schedules

"enhance the implementation and support integration."

DRM in HTML5 <video>ME and modern IPTV apps have three parts: 1) at the lowest level embedded routines only the platform holder knows which include the codec, hidden keys and Metadata routines the player must run under. 2) Middle ware ( Microsoft describes this as a thin C++ layer) that exposes the C-ENC (Common Encryption) APIs to Javascript for the HTML5 <video> ME (Media Extensions) and to the 3) Playready DRM in IPTV apps . The DRM Middleware and Playready routines in apps are routinely changed to keep them secure but the embedded routines usually stay the same and every effort is used to keep them secure by the platform owner.

So PS4 Middleware (nearly done) and embedded routines are likely done (had to wait till the Xtensa DPU routines were in place with I think Firmware 2.0 if this thread is accurate) but the full DRM scheme is not finished . In any case DLNA CVP2 certification comes after Playready and WMDRM10 DRM are in place. Since Vita got DLNA support it likely is further along and has Playready Middleware and embedded routines finished.

The PS4 and XB1 as media hubs will be special cases as they can Playready sideload and stream inside the home using DTCP-IP and likely stream outside the home using Playready. This will use the Encoder that Share 2.0 exposes for games.

A significant OS change is coming for Playstation platforms PS3, PS4 and Vita with all current IPTV apps not using the Playstation software stacks for DRM except possibly Sony apps. Edit: Apparently DRMtoday has the PS4 supporting Marlin and Playready, Sony using Marlin till Playready is ready and/or Marlin will be used in China, Korea and Japan?

In the PS4 it means all IPTV apps were/are X-86 and didn't use the DPU codecs and Trustzone processor. DLNA should be a low power app and not use the X-86 CPUs or AMD GPU, same for the blu-ray player and IPTV apps as well as DLNA CVP2 which additionally should use a second low power GPU for the UI which Xtensa DPUs can support. This is the reason for the PS4's unexpectedly high power use, same for the XB1. They are both at nearly the same state for Players, codecs and DRM.

In the PS3 it means all the DTCP-IP DRM routines tied to the DLNA player and DRM for the IPTV player are being changed. To reduce the OS size and insure DRM the DLNA player, HTML5 player and blu-ray-DVD player should be the same using the same Metadata rules and DRM. It's not clear when or if this has already been done. Edit: According to DRM today; the PS3 is still using Marlin which means a significant firmware update to the PS3 is coming or DRM today is out of date.

If DRMtoday is accurate the coming firmware update should have DLNA and HTML5 updates to support DLNA CVP2. For DLNA it means the three box model with the PS3 able to be controlled by a second screen DLNA controller. The PS3 XMB may be updated to a openGL desktop like the PS4 (my prediction since late 2011) or the DLNA CVP2 app and browser only will support OpenGL.

&#8226; Keeping implementation on target to meet a tight schedule
&#8226; Supporting the integration of software components with client applications being designed and implemented on parallel schedules

"Tight schedule and parallel schedules" = Getting close to a roadmap deadline yeah!

So basically, instead of waiting on the firmware team in Japan, we are waiting for the firmware team in london, who haven't even hired someone to work on the DRM for DLNA yet?

So basically, instead of waiting on the firmware team in Japan, we are waiting for the firmware team in london, who haven't even hired someone to work on the DRM for DLNA yet?
DLNA code is extremely small (see below) if you don't count the DRM and player which should be the same as used for HTML5 <video> and IPTV apps. Blu-ray and DVD player should use the same player everything else uses but different rules. DLNA comes last which I think we can now understand.

Embedded routines for the PS4 using the DPUs were likely written in Japan and middleware possibly in London. Playready routines using Middleware APIs, London for sure according to the Job posting. The last part, Playready routines in apps should have sample code from Microsoft and shouldn't take long. I'd defer to anyone who has experience in this.

Size of the code and static data for complete DLNA stack including UPnP and SQLite: 1.1 MB (may slightly vary depending on target platform)
Size of the code and static data for DTCP-IP stack including OpenSSL crypto library: 1.2 MB
Dynamic allocations for DMS device and 400 shared files:
Peak of 4 MB for one active connection
Peak of 5 MB for two active connections
Hardware descrambling capabilities for DTCP-IP: AES-128
Processing power: 800 DMIPS

DLNA code is extremely small if you don't count the DRM and player which should be the same as used for HTML5 <video> and IPTV apps. Blu-ray and DVD player should use the same player everything else uses but different rules. DLNA comes last which I think we can now understand.

Embedded routines for the PS4 using the DPUs were likely written in Japan and middleware possibly in London. Playready routines using Middleware APIs, London for sure according to the Job posting. The last part, Playready routines in apps should have sample code from Microsoft and shouldn't take long. I'd defer to anyone who has experience in this.

We can get an idea of the roadmap Sony is using (They want to launch their IPTV network December 2014 =>Playready done) and if the Xtensa DPU thread is correct, Firmware 2.0 was mostly about routines running in DPUs which includes the codecs (Decoder and encoder) and Player. If the embedded and middleware are done then DLNA can come at any time.

Well, the PS4 is due a early December update, that may a video player to the usb app. DLNA probably will be late Jan from the looks of things.

Hopefully, Folders can be snuck in somewhere, then the system is pretty much complete as far as im concerned. everything else from that point is just icing.

Well, the PS4 is due a early December update, that may a video player to the usb app. DLNA probably will be late Jan from the looks of things.

Hopefully, Folders can be snuck in somewhere, then the system is pretty much complete as far as im concerned. everything else from that point is just icing.
I think the player is part of the embedded routines and already done. It's really hard to determine what is running in the X-86 APU and what is running on an ARM buss inside the Low power Southbridge. We can know that eventually all IPTV will run in the Southbridge as Low Power IPTV and when that happens then suspend/resume and DLNA will be released.

Video chat as WebRTC 2.0 or ORTC 1.01 is nearly ready as they are calling for implementations. My guess which is always wrong as to timing is March 2015.

Click on every blue link and read. If you have a more specific question ask but if you can't be specific then you need to do some reading.

I meant to say summarize, not explain. This stuff isn't exactly my area of expertise, obviously, but it sounds like you are saying that PS is getting a new streaming media player?

Vashetti

Banned
I can't see the PS3 receiving any more significant updates.

You only need to look at the past 1.5-2 years of patch notes to see that the support has already winded down. Seems to me they've maxed out all they can do with the system.

Bold One

On the TV app front the PS4 is currently super-anemic so DLNA would be very welcomed.

no Channel 4, 5, ITV, no HBO Go,

I think the player is part of the embedded routines and already done. It's really hard to determine what is running in the X-86 APU and what is running on an ARM buss inside the Low power Southbridge. We can know that eventually all IPTV will run in the Southbridge as Low Power IPTV and when that happens then suspend/resume and DLNA will be released.

Video chat as WebRTC 2.0 or ORTC 1.01 is nearly ready as they are calling for implementations. My guess which is always wrong as to timing is March 2015.

I still think video chat is pointless on a console personally. But yeah, there should be a pretty significant update around march next year.

I can't see the PS3 receiving any more significant updates.

You only need to look at the past 1.5-2 years of patch notes to see that the support has already winded down. Seems to me they've maxed out all they can do with the system.
It would seem so except Sony is starting their own IPTV network and wants as many Playstation game consoles as possible in Living rooms and that includes the PS3. DLNA CVP2 and ATSC 2.0 support gets the game consoles in the living room used as IPTV STBs. I would prefer a PS3 or PS4 in the living room and the Cable TV DVR in the bedroom as my DLNA server doesn't work with the Cable TV DVR although I think that is changing.

The delay in getting PS3 updates is related to Playready. Why else would Sony be implementing Playready in the PS3? Apps can contain their own DRM and Marlin is used in Japan. Only for DLNA CVP2 is Playready a requirement and the platform must be certified as DRM secure by DTLA and DLNA which requires secure embedded and middleware and a HTML5 DLNA CVP2 APP using the embedded and middleware routines.

Edit: Note: Playready is supposed to be ONLY on embedded platforms where the manufacturer supports a root of trust boot and embeds and protects encryption keys, codecs and Player with the player required to support Metadata DRM rules which are also encrypted as part of the Content. Netflix for instance, had a self contained player and DRM scheme and if DRMtoday is correct (No Playready embedded support in the PS3) then any IPTV app for the PS3 that claimed it was using Playready was not using an embedded version but a self contained Playready DRM. This might explain Comcast not allowing a PS3 HBO Go for instance.

Vashetti

Banned
Only thing I could potentially see the PS3 getting is a Live from Playstation app to watch PS4 streams.

I'm not sure why they haven't done it yet, the Vita even has the app now. It's pretty much free advertising for the PS4 to PS3 owners.

Bold One

That's because they built a gaming console first and foremost. Media was a second thought.

You know after a year of release with meagre software line-ups and an almost non-existent exclusive library that excuse starts to loose weight.

I would agree if they were chhurning out qaulity game after game, but they aren't

I would agree if the online network was proving value for money, but it isn't

I'm not trying to bash your fave console, but the sluggish nature of their updates deserves scrutiny

Only thing I could potentially see the PS3 getting is a Live from Playstation app to watch PS4 streams.

I'm not sure why they haven't done it yet, the Vita even has the app now. It's pretty much free advertising for the PS4 to PS3 owners.
YES, exactly...that should be coming as part of a update but first comes Playready DRM + New DLNA and updates to HTML5 plus player updates and integration with the embedded parts necessary to support Playready.

I expect the PS3 will eventually be able to share PS4 games...same reasoning you mentioned.

You know after a year of release with meagre software line-ups and an almost non-existent exclusive library that excuse starts to loose weight.

I would agree if they were chhurning out qaulity game after game, but they aren't

I'm not trying to bash your fave console, but the sluggish nature of their updates deserves scrutiny
Sony has decided to follow W3C (GTKWebkit -Gnome) and Khronos standards and we get firmware updates when standards are released and "stability updates" when those standards are updated.

I just searched the web for news on the OP and no-one is getting what this means.

1) Sony planned to be part of the DLNA CVP2 ecosystem and to do so they must use Playready!
2) The PS3 being updated now to use Playready means a significant update is coming if it's to be part of the DLNA CVP2 ecosystem. I've posted on what this means and it's BIG.

Jonnax

I'd like to hope so but it feels the Sony has all but abandoned the ps3.
On a ps3 you can't see when ps4 users are online. Which is worrying a year after launch but I think what makes it worse is that they haven't updated it to see vita users which is now two years I believe.

Not to mention it seems pictures can't be sent from the newer consoles to ps3.

The only thing getting updates is the PS store.

liquidtmd

Banned

"is due"? Yeah its due. As much as Id like this to be true I just get the feeling they are going to let this slide till January.

2.02 early December with Seasonal Santa Stability I reckon and thatll be it.

PS4 games are not my taste but...

Fixed. Its not your taste and leave it as is. The PS4 has so far a lot of good games that came out this year that a lot of people bought, played and loved. Next year's will be the same. This excuse you are using is loosing weight as it's completely false. This has nothing to do with what this thread is about anyways.

System updates don't make games you just don't like, better.

androvsky

I think the short version is game consoles in general are going to become cable tv boxes... sort of. You'll still need a central cable box to take in the coax, but then it will send tv streams over the local network to certified devices, the certified devices being what jeff_rigby had been going on about for the last year or so. It's an FCC requirement so I'm not sure what the impact will be in Europe.

Also, Sony is known to be working on some sort of IPTV channel(s), probably at least one aimed aimed at gamers. I think there's speculation it will be treated separately from current media apps.

"is due"? Yeah its due. As much as Id like this to be true I just get the feeling they are going to let this slide till January.

2.02 early December with Seasonal Santa Stability I reckon and thatll be it.

The PS4 gets a firmware update every 6 weeks on average, sooner if its a stability update.

Early december is 6 weeks away from the the october update . There is no real reason why there wasn't Video in the USB media player, the system already natively supports it (Playroom and shareplay already prove that) there must of just been a couple kinks in what media controls to include.

DLNA might take longer, but im pretty confident we will have a video player at least in the next update in december, it would be ideal for it to be pushed out in the first week.

So it's the PS4 has no games arguement. That's not an opinion or fact. It's just false and has nothing to do with the thread so please stop.

Krakn3Dfx

What. Console platform exclusives:

Transistor
Tiny Brains
Sportsfriends
Spelunky
Rogue Legacy
Road Not Taken
Octodad: Dadliest Catch
MotoGP 14
Mercenary Kings
Hotline Miami
flOw
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends Complete Edition
Don't Starve
Daylight
Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition
Doki-Doki Universe
Escape Plan
Flower
Hohokum
LittleBigPlanet 3
MLB 14: The Show
Natural Doctrine
PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate
Samurai Warriors 4
Sound Shapes
The Last of Us Remastered
Unfinished Swan
Velocity 2X
Basement Crawl
Driveclub
Infamous Second Son
Resogun
DC Universe Online
Titan Attacks
The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
Surgeon Simulator
Super Motherload
Stealth Inc: Ultimate Edition
Race the Sun
OlliOlli
Mousecraft
Nidhogg
King Oddball
CounterSpy

Dat meager lineup. Clearly Sony has dropped the ball on getting content to the PS4.

I gave an explanation directly after the post you quoted.
And apparently they don't know what the blue text means. OK I'll repost here what the first link points to:

This is a long vision for the Connected Home | World from 1995 by leaders in the industry (Sony, Microsoft, Intel and others ATEF = XTV and NRT) and it kicks off in 2014 2015 due to FCC mandates for the cable industry and ATSC 2.0 (1080P, S3D, XTV, NRT). They have to replace all tru2way boxes (DVR, VOD....) with DLNA-RUI Gateway boxes either with head (has a HDMI port) or headless.

All industry players agreed on DLNA and open source software standards so that all platforms and devices can interface/talk to each other (no walled ecosystem) and one standard DRM scheme (not open source and sometime in 2011 Microsoft's Playready DRM was chosen).

Slides from Hotchips 18 "Who Owns the Living Room" below: These two slide shows from 2006 give an easy to follow overview for Vidipath. They are a must read!

Who Owns the Living Room? Bill Curtis - Hot Chips is all about the need for a common DRM = Playready for sharing commercial media. It also mentions that as media gets higher resolutions closer to master quality the need for more secure DRM increases.
Who Owns the Living Room? Glen Stone Director, Standards & Strategy Sony Electronics Inc. Chair: DLNA Technical Committee is all about open standards = DLNA for sharing media in the home.

Add the above two together and you have DLNA CVP2 = Vidipath For an Idea of what's coming for the PS3, XB1 and PS4 read the Vidipath Guidelines.

Edit: Cable Labs Paper on DLNA CVP2 has everything outlined in fairly easy to read language

What does this mean for the consumer; with a Cable gateway box connected to your home network, all connected platforms can display HD TV without a cable box provided it supports h.264 and DLNA cvp2. This includes all game consoles with DLNA support as well as phones, tablets and some Smart TVs. This makes game consoles more valuable.

http://www.accton.com/Newspage.asp?sno=82 said:
At the recent May 2012 NCTA Cable Show in Boston, Glenn Britt, Time Warner Cable CEO told attendees at the opening session that traditional digital cable set-tops will become extinct and eventually replaced by smart TVs and other IP-connected devices such as gaming consoles.

With a media gateway, Cable Operators can deliver a mix of everything from home automation, home security, and multi-screen video (wireless distribution of video to PCs, tablets, and mobile phones in the home) in addition to online gaming and video conferencing services.
These open source standards point to features we can have. See the following picture:

3.jpg

From the above; Samba is a open source Linux standard for File access. So planned is File support which would allow Connected platforms like a Windows 8.1 PC to have an open standard to support remote file access for diskless game consoles. Then we have rumors of a Diskless Xbox 360 refresh that can use shared drives as well as remote play on the XB1 and Windows 8.1 PCs.

Also allowed by the FCC and supported by Playready is the use of a PC as a Cable box DVR which should also be supported by the XB1 and PS4.

I've been following Sony since 2010 and have made multiple posts pointing out connections between the open source software choices and Standards that Sony has been making (DLNA in 2003) and what's coming. HTML5-WebGL Browser Desktop was one of the first predictions for the PS3 and we see that in the PS4 but not yet in the PS3. The PS3 software stack supported the older CEA-2014 proposal and the PS4 supports the CEA-2014B. I assume the PS3 will eventually support the newer CEA revision.

Linux Gnome mobile libraries which includes Cairo, Gstreamer, BlueZ, Mono and Glib (any application that calls Glib is considered a Gnome application. Gnome Mobile is the minimum set of libraries to support GTK Webkit designed for mobile like phones) have made it into the PS4 as Free BSD versions except for Gstreamer. The PS3, Vita and I believe the PS4 are using GTKWebkit 2 APIs with Cairo. Gnome Mobile Linux is also the Comcast Cable SDK for their Open Source software in gateway boxes but they use the QT interface library not GTK+, Samsung also chose QT.

The XB1 and PS4 hardware designs are to support the above in addition to playing games. Rumors that include the above features understanding that DLNA-RUI is designed to support Game and media remote play with an open source standard using a standard DRM over the network are likely correct even though many have a hard time believing them.

ICPEE

And apparently they don't know what the blue text means. OK I'll repost here what the first link points to:

This is a long vision for the Connected Home | World from 1995 by leaders in the industry (Sony, Microsoft, Intel and others ATEF = XTV and NRT) and it kicks off in 2014 due to FCC mandates for the cable industry and ATSC 2.0 (1080P, S3D, XTV, NRT). They have to replace all tru2way boxes (DVR, VOD....) with DLNA-RVU Gateway boxes either with head (has a HDMI port) or headless. For Comcast which is setting many of the standards a X5 is headless and X1 has a HDMI port (Notice the X1, and XB1 similarity in name).

All industry players agreed on DLNA and open source software standards so that all platforms and devices can interface/talk to each other (no walled ecosystem) and one standard DRM scheme (not open source and sometime in 2011 Microsoft's Playready DRM was chosen).

Edit: Cable Labs Paper on DLNA CVP2 has everything outlined in fairly easy to read language

What does this mean for the consumer; with a Cable gateway box connected to your home network, all connected platforms can display HD TV without a cable box provided it supports h.264 and DLNA cvp2. This includes all game consoles with DLNA support as well as phones, tablets and some Smart TVs. This makes game consoles more valuable.

These open source standards point to features we can have. See the following picture:

3.jpg

From the above; Samba is a open source Linux standard for File access. So planned is File support which would allow Connected platforms like a Windows 8.1 PC to have an open standard to support remote file access for diskless game consoles. Then we have rumors of a Diskless Xbox 360 refresh that can use shared drives as well as remote play on the XB1 and Windows 8.1 PCs.

Also allowed by the FCC and supported by Playready is the use of a PC as a Cable box DVR which should also be supported by the XB1 and PS4.

I've been following Sony since 2010 and have made multiple posts pointing out connections between the open source software choices and Standards that Sony has been making (DLNA in 2003) and what's coming. HTML5-WebGL Browser Desktop was one of the first predictions for the PS3 and we see that in the PS4 but not yet in the PS3. The PS3 software stack supported the older CEA-2014 proposal and the PS4 supports the CEA-2014B. I assume the PS3 will eventually support the newer CEA revision.

Linux Gnome mobile libraries which includes Cairo, Gstreamer, BlueZ, Mono and Glib (any application that calls Glib is considered a Gnome application. Gnome Mobile is the minimum set of libraries to support GTK Webkit designed for mobile like phones) have made it into the PS4 as Free BSD versions except for Gstreamer. The PS3, Vita and I believe the PS4 are using GTKWebkit 2 APIs with Cairo. Gnome Mobile Linux is also the Comcast Cable SDK for their Open Source software in gateway boxes but they use the QT interface library not GTK+, Samsung also chose QT.

The XB1 and PS4 hardware designs are to support the above in addition to playing games. Rumors that include the above features understanding that DLNA-RVU is designed to support Game and media remote play with an open source standard using a standard DRM over the network are likely correct even though many have a hard time believing them.

The CES 2014 Keynote is to be given by the President of Sony, Microsoft is to have the largest presence ever at CES (in private rooms). You will hear about the connected Home | World, machine to machine, the internet of everything, Media Gateways and DLNA-RVU..
ice_cube_wtf_gqvqs30u.gif

The CES 2014 Keynote is to be given by the President of Sony, Microsoft is to have the largest presence ever at CES (in private rooms). You will hear about the connected Home | World, machine to machine, the internet of everything, Media Gateways and DLNA-RVU..
I assume that's meant to be CES 2015, 6 - 9th Jan. So not too far away.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
If I ever need body armor, I'll make it out of jeff_rigby posts. They're utterly impenetrable.

Is the implication here:

To reduce the OS size and insure DRM the DLNA player, HTML5 player and blu-ray-DVD player should be the same using the same Metadata rules and DRM.

...that the ps3's OS might become more efficient?

It's become such a slow mess over the years.

He's basically saying many companies have been working on a DRM standard they can all implement to make media over internet connected devices conveniently possible and that time is coming soon. This is important because when Sony implements this for all their smart devices (Bravia TVs, PS4, PS3, PSVita, etc.) then we get the DLNA update.

Right?

He's basically saying many companies have been working on a DRM standard they can all implement to make media over internet connected devices conveniently possible and that time is coming soon. This is important because when Sony implements this for all their smart devices (Bravia TVs, PS4, PS3, PSVita, etc.) then we get the DLNA update.

Right?

Seemed pretty straight forward to me.
The main point I take from this(as evidenced by the job ad) is that PS3 and Vita aren't forgotten :)

I don't understand what's so hard to comprehend in Jeff Rigby's post or what is preventing people from clicking on the links to acronyms they don't understand.

The technology basically allows you to stream the video from your cable provider to anything in the house that supports these standards. There's a lot of power and a lot of things the consumer can do with these standards.

I don't understand what's so hard to comprehend in Jeff Rigby's post or what is preventing people from clicking on the links to acronyms they don't understand.

The technology basically allows you to stream the video from your cable provider to anything in the house that supports these standards. There's a lot of power and a lot of things the consumer can do with these standards.
This would lead to me not having to pay $10 a month for each cable box, right?

Leb

I assume that's meant to be CES 2015, 6 - 9th Jan. So not too far away.

Nope, just more white noise. Kaz gave the keynote almost a year ago and with respect to content distribution, mentioned the upcoming launch of their cloud-based TV service. It's probably worth noting that this cloud-based TV service still doesn't actually exist as a consumer product and that Sony has, as of this writing, secured only Viacom and CBS as content partners.

Nope, just more white noise. Kaz gave the keynote almost a year ago and with respect to content distribution, mentioned the upcoming launch of their cloud-based TV service. It's probably worth noting that this cloud-based TV service still doesn't actually exist as a consumer product and that Sony has, as of this writing, secured only Viacom and CBS as content partners.

Lol.

And Sony. I don't know the Sony plan but the idea behind Google TV which Sony supported and Sony will be using Google's Android L in their 2015 TVs, was to have search engines and EPGs across multiple services so when the consumer searches for a movie or TV show, multiple choices are returned from Live TV, their DVR, near future, multiple pay IPTV services etc. The consumer can choose when, what resolution and how much he is willing to pay from multiple services.

This ties in with DLNA CVP2 and OTA TV.....

The IGN app on the PS3, YouTube and Playstation live are examples of free videos that can be searched.....How To Manuals and educational videos are now on YouTube. News programs are searchable and available on-line by subject.

Sony now has GetTV on OTA in I think 130 markets and is starting a IPTV network in December (last I heard).

Edit:

Sony is set to implement four business models for IPTV, they do have GetTV in those same markets mentioned for Playstation Vue and it's a OTA Network. All models take advantage of h.265.

1) DLNA CVP2 support for Cable TV channels with Sony offering VOD movies and TV programs in addition to those offered by Cable TV. (temporarily using DVRs to convert RF to IPTV in the home) This is the transition scheme till consumers have STBs and cable develops it's infrastructure to handle all IPTV traffic (about 2017+). (see below)
2) Playstation Vue for the cable cutters in major cities with faster Internet and trunk lines that can carry the traffic.
3) OTA Media Hub ATSC 2.0 support for those not on cable and using a slower Internet service like DSL. NRT or Sideloading movies downloaded at DSL speeds for later viewing. This goes along with GetTV OTA.
4) Satellite whole home DVR DLNA RVU/RUI (Essentially DLNA CVP2 for satellite) with slower DSL or Cable Internet. This is already in place with the PS3 supporting DLNA RVU.

This is the transition scheme till consumers have STBs and cable develops it's infrastructure to handle all IPTV traffic (about 2017+). Everyone will need a STB (game console) or Smart TV by 2017+ even OTA for ATSC 2.0 and it's predicted that there will be 240 million new internet connected VIDEO platforms by that date. This generation should never see a dropoff in sales for the game consoles, it should increase by about 2016.

BHK3

Banned
It's like listening to john carmack, you have 0 idea what hes been talking about for the past 2 hours but you're not exactly concerned with not understanding any of it.

Great post as always. DLNA features improving for all devices is great for everyone in the industry. Seems like this will not be implemented until at least halfway through 2015.

Hope that doesn't mean PS4 DLNA delay to eternity.

Right?

That's what I gathered from his post, yes.

kyser73

Seconded

Those links aren't laymen ready. Hence his question. If you can't contribute, don't bother saying anything

Rugby - ordinary human translation:

Sony are one member of a working group whose long term aim is to enable seamless, platform agnostic connectivity betwee media devices.

DLNA is one of the standards to come from this.

There is a new version of DLNA coming.

Sony will put DLNA on the 4, and update the 3, as well as other pieces of software, to enable those devices to become compliant with the Playready platform agnostic standard.

There's also some other stuff about a chip the Southbridge on the PS4's APU being involved in this as a dedicated media playback service which may, or may not, be related to suspend/resume, AA solutions in games (2.0 FW also related to this bit).

Practically - the Netflix app shouldn't need to be so huge anymore; I would imagine some content providers might have apps in development that take advantage of this; PS4 will have DLNA.

Rugby - ordinary human translation:

Sony are one member of a working group whose long term aim is to enable seamless, platform agnostic connectivity betwee media devices.

DLNA is one of the standards to come from this.

There is a new version of DLNA coming.

Sony will put DLNA on the 4, and update the 3, as well as other pieces of software, to enable those devices to become compliant with the Playready platform agnostic standard.
YES

All industry players agreed on DLNA and open source software standards so that all platforms and devices can interface/talk to each other (no walled ecosystem) and one standard DRM scheme (not open source and sometime in 2011 Microsoft's Playready DRM was chosen). Watch the 2006 Hotchips video in the first link (above ). It has a Microsoft and Sony representative saying game consoles are near perfect IPTV & DLNA platforms and this in 2006, the year the PS3 was released and 2 years before DLNA, 4 years before IPTV apps show up on the PS3. Microsoft started work (officially) on Playready in 2007.

Timing:
CEA-2014 RVU (2007) became CEA-2014B RUI or DLNA CVP2 (Jan 2011)
The FCC mandated in 2010 that Cable TV must implement DLNA & Playready by Dec 2012 then a Tivo suit moved it to June 2014 and 6 months ago, again moved to June 2015. (Simplified to the point it's inaccurate.)

Yes you can call this the Playready ecosystem, Microsoft does. In Asia the same DLNA, HTML5 and Java is used but the DRM is likely going to be Marlin thus the PS4 having Marlin and Playready DRM support. Europe country by country MAY support this too. Spain has announced they will support the standard but are holding off till h.265 support is in DLNA CVP2 STBs (2016).

Edit: DLNA 3 and 4 announced

Top Bottom