• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ALL PLAYSTATION TECH DEMOS (PS1 to PS5)

GrayFoxPL

Dang, nostalgia.

I'll never forget the T-Rex on PS1, I fired it up often back in the 90's to show off the gfx, haha.

PS2 ruled with the early Tekken demo or riko from RRT4, also the Duckies. Shame there's no good quality footage anywhere.

Unless you count the footage on VHS I had 20 years ago.

lachesis

Well as a DC fan... when I saw FF8 dancing scene in real time on Japanese news outlet..., all I could think in my mind was "fxxxed".

Mind you that whoever had Square's support was pretty much destined to win the JP market...

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
FFVIII tech demo looks so good. Remake never ever.

rd329lI.png

CamHostage

Among other things it's showcasing Playstation fmv capabilities. At that time it probably was the best in terms of least compression among it's rival consoles.

It is crazy today to think that playing a digital video file was a big deal back in the day, but it's easy to forget that A) these were still CDs and B) compression schemes were still not really consumer-grade yet. This is what gamers were mostly used to with full-motion video on a disc back then: usually windowed, usually half-30 (or much worse), and always chunky as hell.

And even the consumer version of a "professional" video on CD at the time (the ill-fated CD-Video, or VCD) was pretty crappy and not worth leaving VHS for. MPEG 1 running 352×240 at 30FPS (half the resolution of a VHS tape, and technically I believe half the "framerate" since I'm guessing it was stored progressive instead of interlaced for a 60Hz signal.) If you had a laserdisc, you were in heaven as a movie fan, but if all you had was a gen-1 VCD player, woe be you...

Last edited:

GrayFoxPL

It is crazy today to think that playing a digital video file was a big deal back in the day, but it's easy to forget that A) these were still CDs and B) compression schemes were still not really consumer-grade yet. This is what gamers were mostly used to with full-motion video on a disc back then: usually windowed, usually half-30 (or much worse), and always chunky as hell.

And even the consumer version of a "professional" video on CD at the time (the ill-fated CD-Video, or VCD) was pretty crappy and not worth leaving VHS for. MPEG 1 running 352×240 at 30FPS (half the resolution of a VHS tape, and technically I believe half the "framerate" since I'm guessing it was stored progressive instead of interlaced for a 60Hz signal.) If you had a laserdisc, you were in heaven as a movie fan, but if all you had was a gen-1 VCD player, woe be you...

True. I remember playing Judge Dredd demo and PS1 and thinking in game movies was some hi tech shit, haha.

My favorite live action cut scene ever:

Top Bottom