• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All PS4 pre orders post Destiny will support pre load

sjay1994

pFUiIX5.png

Just got a message via psn saying watch dogs won't have pre load. Although that's a bummer, the interesting part comes from the fact the note says all games post destiny will support the feature. So that's good to know.

I just got this message to on my PS4 under the section "From PlayStation".

I could've sworn that when I pre-ordered Watch Dogs they said it would pre-download but I guess not. I am a little bummed about it but what can you do? At least I can start downloading it at 12:01 midnight.

sjay1994

I could've sworn that when I pre-ordered Watch Dogs they said it would pre-download but I guess not. I am a little bummed about it but what can you do? At least I can start downloading it at 12:01 midnight.

Pre load was the reason I bought watch dogs via psn in the first place. Well at least I can try the play as you download feature finally.

Did Bungie sign some sort of exclusive rights? I don't get why they have to announce stuff like this months in advance, why not just do it?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Awesome, Microsoft better get pre-loading functionality available as well. I am trying to buy most of my titles digital this time around.

calder

I got this email too. They had already mentioned this at some point but it's nice to have it explained plainly. I think the midnight download (11pm for me) for WD is more interesting, should be able to play some before I go to bed on Monday. My PSN downloads usually hit "playable" in under an hour.

Well on the AU PS store it has Watch Dogs for preload. I pre ordered it, it had a countdown clock which ended tonight, my PS4 downloaded and installed the game. I have it sitting on my dash waiting for it to unlock and it's killing me.

K' Dash

At least it will be ready to play on tuesday when I come from work, even with my shitty internet.

Well on the AU PS store it has Watch Dogs for preload. I pre ordered it, it had a countdown clock which ended tonight, my PS4 downloaded and installed the game. I have it sitting on my dash waiting for it to unlock and it's killing me.

Pics?

styl3s

12:01 EST or PST? I got the physical but it seems like whenever i would get something off PSN it would be 12:01 PST which is 3:01 EST and that was very annoying.

macewank

is this feature so hard to implement that both sony and ms cant get their shit together ?

in all honesty? probably yes. there are a lot of considerations when you decide to allow people to download games before they're out. it's not as simple as "encrypt it", because encryption can be broken. they need to make sure it's done right.

could realistically see an exploit to the pre-load system being a conduit into firmware exploits, and we all know where that ends up.

SDCowboy

This combined with being able to rent games on PS Now will probably make me finally go all digital...eventually. lol

Something is still strange about this, the fact they confirmed 1.7 enables pre-loading but then it doesn't actually get flipped on until September?

I really hope they eventually add pre-loading for physical copies. I hate having to sit around for a 5-10gb install off the disc with most AAA games, and it wouldn't be hard to do. Just let anyone pre-load the disc's install from the store, since it's not like they could play it just from those files.

in all honesty? probably yes. there are a lot of considerations when you decide to allow people to download games before they're out. it's not as simple as "encrypt it", because encryption can be broken. they need to make sure it's done right.

could realistically see an exploit to the pre-load system being a conduit into firmware exploits, and we all know where that ends up.

No encryption is not easily "broken". It is pretty standard right now and when implemented correctly it is virtually unbreakable. Even easier than that, the asserts of the game take up far more space than the code. Games could predownload the assets and save the code for later, so there would be nothing to hack in the first place. But really, encryption is a solved problem.

This is more than likely a policy problem. The console makers want their games on store shelves as it is advertisement for their systems. If they make online ordering too good, stores might just decide to stop selling the games due to low sales. So when shopping in Wall-mart, little Timmy won't see that copy of Evolve on the shelf and ask mommy to buy it.

Neat. Around what percentage can you start playing usually?

It varies wildly from game to game. I don't recall the percentages or exact DL sizes, but I would say on a 40 GB game I can usually start playing around 7 GB. Believe this was the case with both Knack and Tomb Raider.

With the way Sony does their thing. I think its cause watchdogs does not need 1.70. Preload is built into 1.70 so when devs are making games preloading will be easier. Thia is my opinion

Top Bottom