• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All PS4 Pro enhanced games (native support and boosted)

i-Lo

The last two points are correct, but the first is not. Most games with multiple modes have them selectable within the game. Either you choose when starting up the game each session, or else there's an options menu somewhere in the game itself. This is true even if your Pro is hooked up to a 4K display and you're selecting a 1080p mode.

The only games where you need to change anything at a system level are ones that automatically select modes based on the display you're hooked to. If they detect a 4K display, they'll choose a mode for it; you have to force them to work at 1080p instead.

These games are shown in the list by icons next to the modes. A red X means the mode only works on 4K displays (1080p display users can't ever select these). An orange dot means the system will default to this mode if hooked to a 1080p display. If hooked to a 4K display, the mode can only be forced by OS setting. If there's no icons, all modes are user-selectable from the game, and the OS setting doesn't need to be changed.

Thank you kindly, sir. I shall check the games I have against your list when i get the pro & tv next week.

Thank you kindly, sir. I shall check the games I have against your list when i get the pro & tv next week.
No problem. And regarding your question about Warframe, Digital Extremes did suggest pretty strongly last year that official enhancement would be coming. However, very recently they said they still don't have specific plans for a patch, but that the game does benefit from Boost Mode. I haven't gotten around to researching the extent of the boost, though I've heard that Warframe can drop fps sometimes. I imagine Pro would help with that.

i-Lo

No problem. And regarding your question about Warframe, Digital Extremes did suggest pretty strongly last year that official enhancement would be coming. However, very recently they said they still don't have specific plans for a patch, but that the game does benefit from Boost Mode. I haven't gotten around to researching the extent of the boost, though I've heard that Warframe can drop fps sometimes. I imagine Pro would help with that.

Much appreciate the info, good sir.

ITSMILNER

Question, I have enabled HDR on my PS4 Pro and it looks great. I have tried to play the FIFA 18 demo and once the initial screen pops up with Ronaldo, my TV hits a black screen the comes back and it looks like HDR is disabled as the picture is really dull.

Is this something that regularly happens? My TV still shows that I have HDR game mode enabled and when I head back to the PS4 Dash it comes up in HDR again

philm87

Question, I have enabled HDR on my PS4 Pro and it looks great. I have tried to play the FIFA 18 demo and once the initial screen pops up with Ronaldo, my TV hits a black screen the comes back and it looks like HDR is disabled as the picture is really dull.

Is this something that regularly happens? My TV still shows that I have HDR game mode enabled and when I head back to the PS4 Dash it comes up in HDR again

It will be HDR, it can make the picture look dull in some areas. Does exactly the same on Battlefield. Need to crank the backlight up to max for HDR. Also recommend putting the colour and gamma setting up slightly. Should be a HDR contrast setting in the options too. Will ask you to set it so the boxes match. This is to get the most out of the HDR.

Anyone know if Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite is going to have any kind of Pro support?
Been wondering the same.. haven't seen anything.
Gamersyde have direct-feed 4K from Gamescom, which does appear to show support. Pixel counting, it seems to be 1440p to me. However, even with Gamersyde's excellent video quality, trying to count through compression is much iffier than with direct lossless screenshots. So it could be the case that I'm overestimating, and the game is really just 1080p; or I'm underestimating, and it's higher resolution than I counted. In terms of confidence, I'm much more willing to bet res is lower than I think, rather than higher. The game is not very sharp, at least in this footage.

Of course, this was from a demo and not the final game. And there's no comparative footage, so I can't see if any effects or framerate differences are there.

Gamersyde have direct-feed 4K from Gamescom, which does appear to show support. Pixel counting, it seems to be 1440p to me. However, even with Gamersyde's excellent video quality, trying to count through compression is much iffier than with direct lossless screenshots. So it could be the case that I'm overestimating, and the game is really just 1080p; or I'm underestimating, and it's higher resolution than I counted. In terms of confidence, I'm much more willing to bet res is lower than I think, rather than higher. The game is not very sharp, at least in this footage.

Of course, this was from a demo and not the final game. And there's no comparative footage, so I can't see if any effects or framerate differences are there.

I will try to get some screens up once I get the game once it comes in the mail.

I really need to get myself a 4k capture card to make taking screenshots easier lol.

philm87

Project Cars 2 on PS4 Pro is 1440p

Plus:
- Extra track detail meshes.
- Increased level of detail on cars, track objects, grass etc.
- Increased detail and resolution with shadow rendering.
- Increased detail and resolution with reflection rendering.

Plus:
PCars 2 also offers a more consistent 60fps experience on the Pro compared to vanilla.
Thanks for this info! I spent some time last night analyzing footage, and separately came up with most of this. However, I could not detect any obvious improvements to shadows, though some lighting seemed more accurate. I also didn't see any extra geometry in the tracks, apart from LOD differences. This could be relatively subtle, though, so I won't say it's not present. And all consoles have dynamic resolution per Digital Foundry. (The few shots I have appear to be full 1440p, but I trust their research.)

On the other hand, the framerate is more than just a little improved in taxing situations. It's very much better on Pro, about 15 or even 20fps higher. (The game doesn't drop all the time on standard PS4, though, just with lots of cars or rain onscreen.)

Lifeline

Just got a PS4 Pro, what would be the best game to show off improvements over standard Ps4 on a 1080p TV?

Also I'm not seeing Overwatch on the list, does that perform better on PS4 Pro?

BigEmil

Also I'm not seeing Overwatch on the list, does that perform better on PS4 Pro?
DF did a test for Overwatch iirc they said Pro has improved Texture Filtering and that's mainly only what they noticed, also Overwatch is already stable 60fps on OG PS4, OG has dynamic resolution for most taxing scenes but it's stable 1080p mostly maybe on Pro is constant 1080p too

Lifeline

Are Pro modes done automatically or do you have to go into settings and turn them on? I went to Overwatch settings and didn't see anything about Pro settings.

Are Pro modes done automatically or do you have to go into settings and turn them on? I went to Overwatch settings and didn't see anything about Pro settings.

It automatically knows you are playing on a PS4 Pro. Only thing you need to check is the HDR settings in games. Sometimes you have toggle it on or adjust the brightness (if you have an HDR TV). But all the Pro benefits other than HDR will automatically happen. (Unless you have a game that asks you what graphical mode you want to play in like Nioh for instance).

Also Overwatch has minimal Pro upgrade. Just locks it at 1080p and adds some slight graphical upgrades.

I remember seeing stories back in late August about a post-launch patch for Destiny 2 that would provide HDR. I went back today to try to learn more about it and I really didn't turn up anything solid. Has a HDR patch actually been confirmed by Bungie?

MvC: Infinite

rfOsM.png

rf4OD.png

rf3E0.png

farisr

I remember seeing stories back in late August about a post-launch patch for Destiny 2 that would provide HDR. I went back today to try to learn more about it and I really didn't turn up anything solid. Has a HDR patch actually been confirmed by Bungie?
It has been confirmed, both at the end of a trailer on the official PlayStation channel, and in an ign q&a session with bungie during their ign first coverage.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm expecting it around the time of the PC launch since it was first confirmed in one of the PC feature trailers.

MvC: Infinite
Thanks so much! I've used analysis of these to solidify my earlier findings. The one new thing is that I believe the Pro version may have better AF than standard. Mild improvements in filtering like this may also be caused by generally higher resolution, so perhaps I'm mistaken. But the refinement appears more than just that to my (admittedly inexpert) eyes.

NHL 18 improvements?
As far as I know, just native 4K over the 1080p of the standard. I haven't had much material to work with, though, so other changes are definitely possible.

This game was already in the OP, by the way. Just a reminder to all--not necessarily just you--that it is possible to search the lists. Here's a link to the post where I explain how. It's a workaround and a bit inconvenient, but as these lists have grown very long the functionality has become more important. Note that the Boost list is in another post, and has to be searched separately.

Speaking of Boost Mode, I've moved Warframe to there out of the official support list. It was only ever noted as having improved framerate, which the dev around Pro release seemed to be claiming was their initial pass at support (with better to come). However, just recently they revealed in an interview that they'd done no actual work to take advantage of Pro, so this is actually a case of improvement through Boost Mode.

I've also added multiple other games to the list. As always, any contributions you can make of impressions, videos, screenshots, or links would be very much appreciated. Thanks to all!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Return to Arkham is on sale on PSN right now. Did they ever patch and add in real PS4 Pro support ? As per the last Digital Foundry video, the 1.02 patch was supposed to add Pro specific enhancements but didn't add anything at all.

Return to Arkham is on sale on PSN right now. Did they ever patch and add in real PS4 Pro support ? As per the last Digital Foundry video, the 1.02 patch was supposed to add Pro specific enhancements but didn't add anything at all.

Don't think so and it's a damn shame. Pro could easily be running these games at 4K30. I really fucking wish it got the great Pro patch Shadow of Mordor got.

4K would have been a great reason to replay two great games but I guess not WarnaBrotha.

Oneself

One thing for sure, Ys has no downsampling on a 1080p screen and looks quite bad. It's technically terrible IMO. Also, it looks, animates and loads like a Vita game but @60fps.
Too bad because otherwise it's a good game.

DeaDPo0L84

Destiny 2 looks great on a 1080 display, but man certain sections like a hectic public event or oddly when I'm at the tower the fans can kick up a little bit.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Whats the best way to upload screenshots from PS4 Pro?

I noticed Dishonored Death of the Outsider is missing and would like to post some pics.

Took some Screenshots of Ys VIII running on a Pro:
One thing for sure, Ys has no downsampling on a 1080p screen and looks quite bad. It's technically terrible IMO. Also, it looks, animates and loads like a Vita game but @60fps.
Too bad because otherwise it's a good game.
Thanks to both of you for the info! From looking around for comparisons, I can tell you that it looks considerably better than the Vita version, not just with higher resolution but also with better character models, improved textures, AF, and draw distance, etc.

Which is not to say that the Pro version looks much better than standard PS4. In fact, I couldn't discover any obvious benefits. I believe there might be minor improvements to the framerate--smoothing out dips, for the most part it's solid on both--but my comparison footage wasn't one-to-one. If either of you can find some standard PS4 shots on the internet, and compare your Pro version to them, that'd be fantastic. (I do understand if this isn't possible, though.)

Whats the best way to upload screenshots from PS4 Pro?

I noticed Dishonored Death of the Outsider is missing and would like to post some pics.
Yeah, I didn't know until yesterday that's a standalone thing and not just DLC. I haven't been able to find good screenshots, so if you can help out that'd be great! The ideal shots from Pro are 4K PNGs, but these tend to be gigantic so JPEGs are okay as long as you don't compress them again. This means avoiding posting directly to Twitter or Facebook. You'll need to save the shots to external storage (thumb drive), and transfer to your PC so you can upload to an image host. Personally, I utilize Abload for my pics. I think the use is straightforward, but the site is in German so if you want to host elsewhere that's fine. Other sites that appear decent are lensdump and cubeupload. Use imgur only as a last resort, as they further compress any image over 1MB (which all your shots should be).

Thanks in advance!

What's the deal with Marvel Infinite?
As the OP list says, it appears to be 1440p, perhaps with improved AF. I didn't see any other enhancements, but I was working from a small number of shots and others could be in there.

In a side note, I happened to generate a Pro data summary for another thread, and I thought it might make sense to post in this one as well. It's a breakdown of the percentages of each approach and resolution enhanced games use. It excludes VR-only games and modes, but otherwise has all released games. (I did include a AAA-only dataset for those interested.)

Here's the summary. The first table is split by rendering approach, no matter the resolution, and the second is split by resolution, no matter the rendering approach.

Code:
[B]RENDER TYPE[/B]
          [U]All games[/U]     [U]AAA only[/U]
Native       78.1%        67.1%
Dynamic       7.1%         8.9%
CBR           8.2%        13.9%
Dyn CBR       3.3%         6.3%
Other         3.3%         3.8%

[B]BUFFER SIZE[/B]
          [U]All games[/U]     [U]AAA only[/U]
1080p        27.9%        27.9%
1080p+        1.6%         1.3%
1440p        15.3%        20.3%
1440+         6.0%         8.9%
1800          7.1%        10.1%
1800+         1.1%         1.3%
2160         41.0%        30.4%

iratA

Plus:

Also HDR

Zhao_Yun

Thanks to both of you for the info! From looking around for comparisons, I can tell you that it looks considerably better than the Vita version, not just with higher resolution but also with better character models, improved textures, AF, and draw distance, etc.

Which is not to say that the Pro version looks much better than standard PS4. In fact, I couldn't discover any obvious benefits. I believe there might be minor improvements to the framerate--smoothing out dips, for the most part it's solid on both--but my comparison footage wasn't one-to-one. If either of you can find some standard PS4 shots on the internet, and compare your Pro version to them, that'd be fantastic. (I do understand if this isn't possible, though.)

I might be able to take some screenshots on the standard PS4 of my girlfriend in a few days. If you couldn't see any obvious improvements does that mean that it only runs at 1080p on the Pro?

JP

There was an update to Danger Zone this morning, there's a massive list of improvements including...
Code:
[B]Danger Zone - v1.1[/B]

Added PS4 Pro 4K Temporal Checkerboard rendering
Added PS4 Pro 1080p 150% supersampling for a cleaner image
There are loads of other graphical and performance improvements listed including improved anti-aliasing, larger and more frequent explosions, improved damage, improved graphical quality of effects, accurately physics modelling for sparks, more particles, etc but these are the only ones that specifically mention the Pro.

I have no way of comparing the two versions so I don't know if the resolution is the only difference.

They do also list both CPU and GPU performance improvements but I assume that's across both systems.

Thanks, not sure how I missed this. I'll fix it soon.

I might be able to take some screenshots on the standard PS4 of my girlfriend in a few days. If you couldn't see any obvious improvements does that mean that it only runs at 1080p on the Pro?
I can already tell you that it runs at 1080p on Pro, from the current shots. Comparisons with standard PS4 would perhaps allow us to see if there's improvements to graphical effects, like shadows, textures, detail, etc.

There was an update to Danger Zone this morning, there's a massive list of improvements including...
Code:
[B]Danger Zone - v1.1[/B]

Added PS4 Pro 4K Temporal Checkerboard rendering
Added PS4 Pro 1080p 150% supersampling for a cleaner image
Thanks for the info! This is interesting, they've decided on less supersampling at 1080p than the other mode would get them, which strongly suggests either better framerate or better effects instead.

T-0800

Can someone explain what I'm supposed to be seeing with HDR? I bought a 4k tv a few days ago with HDR and playing The Witness and when I switch back and forth between HDR on and off I'm not sure why one is supposed to look better than the other. What am I looking for that is supposed to be better?

Also when HDR is enabled the PS4 dashboard looks much darker. Am I supposed to change something with my tv settings to compensate or is that what is supposed to happen?

RedAndromeda

Neo Member
Go to rtings.com and look for your tv's calibration settings.

After it's calibrated, you should be able to see a noticeable difference between SDR and HDR.

Toe-Knee

Can someone explain what I'm supposed to be seeing with HDR? I bought a 4k tv a few days ago with HDR and playing The Witness and when I switch back and forth between HDR on and off I'm not sure why one is supposed to look better than the other. What am I looking for that is supposed to be better?

Also when HDR is enabled the PS4 dashboard looks much darker. Am I supposed to change something with my tv settings to compensate or is that what is supposed to happen?

The dashboard should be fainter/washed out looking.

Id hazard a guess that something isn't set up right.

What is the brightness set to when hdr comes on? And have you left the hdr mode on auto?

Tyaren

Just got a PS4 Pro, what would be the best game to show off improvements over standard Ps4 on a 1080p TV?

Final Fantasy XV. It is not the prettiest game on Pro (not when Horizon Zero Dawn exists), but out of all games that I have played it actually has the biggest list of actual improvements from standard PS4 to PS4 Pro in its HQ visual mode.

- 1800p checkerboard resolution (downsampling on 1080p TVs)
- improved anisotropic filtering
- improved texture quality and detail
- improved shadow maps
- improved ambient occlusion
- improved light shafts
- improved vegetation
- improved LOD

Three direct comparisons that show some of these improvements:

PS4:
30468122834_93098a4b8e_o.png

PS4 Pro:
30921923470_f37caef7f6_o.png

PS4:
31032731342_98515a2622_o.png

PS4 Pro:
31176061725_44f91bd66a_o.png

PS4:
30802137222_68d55eb656_o.png

PS4 Pro:
30882351536_1a63445c52_o.png

philm87

Max your backlight setting. The main difference is the brightness on things like sunshine, or lights in cave areas. Also the colours should look better if you have a 10bit panel. Turn dynamic contrast off (or whatever it's called on your tv), or to low of your room is bright. Some tv's you need to up the gamma and colour settings slightly. Contrast setting should be max or near to.

Effects will be more obvious the better your tv is set up. Also HDR will be more obvious on better TVs, or those capable of a higher luminosity (nits), and ones that can control the LED better (I.e. Brighten smaller parts of the screen where required)

Maybe try a different game or use a HDR YouTube vid.

III-V

Your dashboard should not be dark, it should be washed out, completely. Remember, you don't "turn on" HDR - ever. Thats not how this works. When an HDR game is started, your set will automatically change into HDR mode if you have properly set it up, and there are a few steps you need to take. Right out of the box, you do not get HDR from hooking up your PS4, you need to adjust some settings.

T-0800

I've noticed that my Pro will automatically switch to HDR if the game supports it and my tv will change the settings which is great. I was worried how that would work.

Unfortunately Netflix doesn't do this. It sees that my TV is setup to support HDR and switches to my HDR settings but this isn't helpful because not all content on Netflix supports HDR. This leaves me watching non HDR content with my contrast and backlight set on 100. Am I missing a fix for this?

Can anyone find settings for the TV I've just bought as I can't find anything. Keep in mind that the model no is might be different as I'm in Australia. TV is Panasonic TH-55EX600A. After a couple of days of fiddling with everything I'm not content with where I'm at.

philm87

Can anyone find settings for the TV I've just bought as I can't find anything. Keep in mind that the model no is might be different as I'm in Australia. TV is Panasonic TH-55EX600A. After a couple of days of fiddling with everything I'm not content with where I'm at.

https://youtu.be/kEwhuzvJL04
That might help. Has a B instead of A in model number though.

Every tv seems to handle HDR atoms separately. Mine differs between HDR and non-HDR on Netflix and other sources, other than Game mode where I have to switch it manually.

For those that played throught Mass effect andromeda or gotten dozens of hours in, is the frame rate any better on the pro? because it's shitty on the base system, actually shitty is an understatement.

KageMaru

Only the Pro version supports HDR?

Final Fantasy XV. It is not the prettiest game on Pro (not when Horizon Zero Dawn exists), but out of all games that I have played it actually has the biggest list of actual improvements from standard PS4 to PS4 Pro in its HQ visual mode.

- 1800p checkerboard resolution (downsampling on 1080p TVs)
- improved anisotropic filtering
- improved texture quality and detail
- improved shadow maps
- improved ambient occlusion
- improved light shafts
- improved vegetation
- improved LOD

Three direct comparisons that show some of these improvements:

Too bad the horrible frame pacing kills the high resolution mode. Thankfully they added a smooth option but I wish they would fix the frame pacing issue already.

I've noticed that my Pro will automatically switch to HDR if the game supports it and my tv will change the settings which is great. I was worried how that would work.

Unfortunately Netflix doesn't do this. It sees that my TV is setup to support HDR and switches to my HDR settings but this isn't helpful because not all content on Netflix supports HDR. This leaves me watching non HDR content with my contrast and backlight set on 100. Am I missing a fix for this?

Are you using the Netflix app or through the PS4?

I always use app (on Samsung) with zero problems

Top Bottom