• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All the major games industry anniversaries of 2017

The list is missing two important N64 games...

DKRboxart.jpg

StarFox64_N64_Game_Box.jpg

Also, really surprised at no mention of Super Mario Galaxy's 10th anniversary. It was only the best game of that generation (until SMG2 dethroned it).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yeah, no idea how this has been missed out. As usual, I'll probably be replaying it at some point again this year, with the added amusement of seeing how it holds up a full decade later

After completing Episode Two back in the day, I told myself I'd refrain from playing another Half-Life game again until 3 is around the corner and I can run through the entire series more or less back-to-back. My resolve remains strong! But I certainly didn't expect to be waiting this long.

kswiston

Yeah it's freaking me out a wee bit there.

Agreed. PS1 being over 20 years old seems about right. I was in grade 8 when it released stateside. PS3 being over 10 years old feels wrong in a "didnt I just get that not too long ago?" Sort of way. Doesnt seem like my mid 20s were THAT long ago, despite next year being the big 35.

Tizoc

Series and games that debuted 20 years ago in 1997

Age of Empires

alundra-ps1-cover-front-jp-48078.jpg

Alundra

s-l300.jpg

Armored Core
Blood

Bloody Roar

Bushido Blade

QSlJJsu.png

(Captain) Claw

Croc_Legend_of_the_Gobbos.jpg

Croc series

Dungkeep.jpg

Dungeon Keeper

SANGOKU-MUSOU-PlayStation-1-Game-Complete-Fun-PS1.jpg

Dynasty Warriors/Musou series. The first game was a fighting game, and the series would become the beat'em-up known today from the 2nd game ownwards, which was titled Shin Sangoku Musou in Japan.

header.jpg

Fallout

grandia-sat-cover-front-jp-43305.jpg

Grandia series.

EverybodysGolf.jpg

Hot Shots Golf/Everbody's Golf

klonoacoverjp.jpg

Klonoa series
SNK's The Last Blade

5092_front.jpg

Rockman Dash/Megaman Legends

s-l225.jpg

Monster Rancher series

Abe%27s_Oddysee_Cover.jpg

Oddworld series

2013223214729.jpg

Rival Schools

saga-frontier-ps1-cover-front-jp-47598.jpg

SaGa Frontier

640full-shadow-warrior-cover.jpg

Shadow Warrior
Shock Troopers

250px-Snowboard_Kids_Boxart.jpg

Atlus' Snowboards Kids series

Street_Fighter_III_flyer.png

Street Fighter III series

20022_original_large.jpeg

Tomba/Tombi series

Other less notable releases of 1997

Beast Wars game

Jersey Devil (published in Japan by Konami)

PillarEN

"Fez – First released for Xbox 360 on April 13, 2012"

;__; Phil Fish please come back. We need you now. Fez 2 must become a reality.

Tizoc

I feel old realizing that Assassin's Creed is a decade old.

Mega Man's getting a cartoon. Aren't you happy?

What's wrong with there being a cartoon? I'm rather interested in it long as the writing's good at least.

Also 10-year anniversary of The Witcher video game series.

- The Witcher (2007)
- The Witcher: Enhanced Edition ( 2008)
- The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (2011)
- The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition (2012)
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (2015)
- The Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone (2015)
- The Witcher 3: Blood & Wine (2016)

Joni

Sad that most of those anniversaries will pass without good stuff. Just hope final Fantasy does celebrate big.

wtd2009

Can't wait for the ff anniversary event. I didn't know it was an "opening ceremony". Does that mean multiple events to come this year? If so, that's awesome.

messiaen

Well, hopefully we get something nice out of the Kirby anniversary. Nintendo treat that franchise a lot better than they treat Metroid. (knock on wood)

While V-pets aren't exactly the same as games, I'll still mention that this is the 20th anniversary for Digimon. It's been a big game franchise over the years.

daTRUballin

Well, I just wanted to point out that this year also marks the 15th anniversary of Microsoft buying Rare, for what it's worth. I'd say that was a pretty major event in the games industry. Although it's not really a cause for celebration I suppose, huh?

Thinking about it, it's pretty crazy that Rare has been with MS for almost 20 years now, right? They've been with MS way longer than they've been with Nintendo, but it feels like they've done jackshit these last 15 years compared to their Nintendo era.

Nabbis

Asscreed ten years old already... Compared to what was offered in 1997 and 2007, the modern AAA scene has hardly changed.

Asscreed ten years old already... Compared to what was offered in 1997 and 2007, the modern AAA scene has hardly changed.

You could say that about COD 4 too which is also 10 years old.

There feels like more difference between COD 1 (2003) and COD 4 (2007) than between 4 and the newer ones.

Uhh someone missed some of the most important anniversaries..??

Rallisport Challenge - EA/DICE/Microsoft Game Studios - March 4, 2002

51RTBVQW8DL._SX425_.jpg

Burnout - Criterion Games/Acclaim - April 30, 2002

15169_front.jpg

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind - Bethesda Softworks - June 6, 2002

xbox_elder_scrolls_3_iii_morrowind-110214.jpg

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance - Snowblind Studios/ Vivendi Universal Games - October 22, 2002

51K76M69Y2L._SY445_.jpg

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell - Ubisoft Montreal - November 17, 2002

51CDA43B3KL.jpg

Man.. 2002 was STACKED.

Foffy

Banned
This year is also the 20th anniversary of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Did many of you guys miss this because the IP is fuckin' dead? :(

Top Bottom