• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All W8 apps running on Xbox One says Dell

coldone

Does it run MS office, Adobe Acrobat etc. Or I need some special apps like Windows RT ?

I will buy Xbone, if it has a open Windows8 and let me play steam games.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I could see myself caring if it was the other way around. But why would I want any Windows 8 apps on the Xbox?

If true then surely MS would have said so?

They have been a bit light on confirming the apps available at launch though… (unless I missed it)

clav

Whoa. Megaton if true.

Problem is Windows Phone is not quite there yet for the 3 screens plan (i.e. Xbox, Windows Phone, Surface/Tablet/PC).

border

If this was true, does it make any sense that Microsoft would have completely neglected to mention it for months? Does it make sense that it would be announced as an offhand comment in a Dell product description?

Been rumoured for a while but I wont believe it until MS say it.

Would be a great boost for the Windows 8 Store more then anything. That thing is dead, dead, DEAD.

And I guess if you want janky SNES emulators on yet another device.

my guess is that they're somewhat misinterpreting things, since kinect and controller support would likely need to be added to make them fully compatible.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if the core of each app is largely similar across Windows 8 platforms, and can be easily developed by anyone who already develops Windows 8 apps.

Apdiddy

Great, I'll be able to play Halo: Spartan Assault, Skulls of the Shogun and friggin' Soltaire on my Xbox One!

Pre-order redeemed

Still not buying a XB1

Alec

They're not talking about programs like Steam. They're talking about the apps available through the Windows Store.

It's cool, I guess...but considering what is currently on the Windows Store, it is not that big of a deal.

If true, then MS PR/marketing has really messed up over the past months.

You've got tens of thousands of W8 apps, a very strong ecosystem that's only growing, and you don't mention it as one of your selling points, only revealed through a bullet point?

dr_rus

I uninstalled even the ones which came with Win8 itself. SSD space and all that. Zero interesting for me in Windows Store.

acm2000

this would be fantastic, BUT any windows store purchases MUST be cross compatible, ie buy on XO, play same game on your windows 8 pc/windows phone 8 if the game is available there too

UNCMark

Banned
Can someone give an example of how this would be useful. I'm struggling to think.

It would instantly have more indies than any other next gen console. I doubt it's true, and I doubt if it were MS would allow Dell to be the ones to leak it.

Darkangel

I've always assumed they would be doing this. Why else would they they bother running the windows kernel on the system?

Awesome news if true.

It would instantly have more indies than any other next gen console. I doubt it's true, and I doubt if it were MS would allow Dell to be the ones to leak it.

He then proceeded to tease developers by encouraging them to develop Windows 8 apps in order to build Xbox One apps. "If you want to know about how to get a head start about thinking about developing for Xbox One, the logical thing to do is go build Windows 8 applications," said Guggenheimer.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/27/4470658/xbox-one-windows-8-apps-build-2013

2013-06-26_22-58-46-1020_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

BibiMaghoo

The windows 8 store is an abomination of janky, low tier mobile phone quality apps. If it was removed from PC, nothing of any worth would be lost.

If you do use the windows 8 store, then I guess it's great those apps can be used on your Xbox.

PG2G

So Halo: Spartan Assault, Rayman: Jungle Run, Aurora, Chrome.....

Don't think Chrome would work. It doesn't work in Windows RT as far as I know. Browser apps are a special hybrid type that exists in both desktop and Modern UI.

bob page

It's too bad the W8 store is still pretty awful. Either the app you want doesn't exist or they're halfassed.

Even with 8.1 I find myself never using the metro apps.

MaulerX

If true this would be a megaton. W8 and has some amazing emulators that work perfectly with a game pad. Emulators are not illegal and as long as you own a copy of the game your playing this can be a game changer.

Redshirt

Banned
This is great if true, and yes, it has been teased already.

I don't think it's all that surprising MS isn't shouting it from the mountaintop because that's been its M.O. since E3. Just look at subsidization for dedicated servers.

jond76

Banned
I was gonna post this but you beat me.

The first thing I thought was Jetpack Joyride and Bejeweled Live on the One.

Top Bottom