• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alleged CDPR dev talks about the state of Cyberpunk 2077 and talks future plans

rob305

I'm 55 hours into the game (almost done with main missions, just doing a bunch of side stuff) and i'm actually glad they cut some extra stuff out of the game to save it for later. It sounds like they decided to remove some arcs and locations and will add them when they release the DLC expansions to keep things fresh, i'm all for that. It reminds me of persona 5, i absolutely loved the game but was glad the game was done when it was done.

Instead of doing and endless stream of side missions in cyberpunk, i'd rather revisit night city when the expansion comes out and have a bunch of new side stuff to do than an even longer base game.

GrayFoxPL

He said the original Johnny was inspired by David Hayter and Cillian Murphy. What?

Bbc One Peaky Blinders Series 5 GIF by BBC

rolandss

Sony is angry?

Sony are the people who gave the game certification. Sony saw the dumpster fire before it was released. Sony didnt want to reject the game because then they knew everyone would flock to Xbox to play

Fuck that shit. We should be angry at Sony for certification. Certification needs to change from now on to factor game performance.
It’s been made clear time and time again that “certification” isn’t exactly them playing the whole thing through and looking for every bug. They’re not beta testing it for them, plus they were told it would be patched. Sony complaining would be CDPR going out and promising refunds without consulting them and causing a flood of requests.
It’s a shitshow of CDPRs making that they released a fucked console version and hid it from public view.

aries_71

Sony is angry?

Sony are the people who gave the game certification. Sony saw the dumpster fire before it was released. Sony didnt want to reject the game because then they knew everyone would flock to Xbox to play

Fuck that shit. We should be angry at Sony for certification. Certification needs to change from now on to factor game performance.
I knew that somehow MS was guilty of the whole situation. Neogaf, never disappoints. 😂

GHG

Gold Member
Wouldn't be surprised if this is true, there's evidence of cut content scattered all over the game.

Also not suprised to see the reaction of the people who have been defending this game non stop for the last few weeks. Wonder what they will say when the things people have pointed out as flaws start to get fixed.

luffie

Sounds quite suspicious, but could be plausible if it was actually vetted.

The last time a developer was vetted by Jason Scheirer many people shit on him too when he says the game is so buggy, it needs 5 more months to be playable. Many people doesn't believe it and trust CDPR, turns out that anon was right.

So 5 months more plus a bit and we have June. Perhaps in June things will really run much better.

oldergamer

This is typed way to Americanized and childish to be anyone directly working on this game.
I don't agree, this actually does sound like someone that worked on the game. They mention certain details that nobody outside the team could make up imo. The decisions to cut things makes sense, with the exception of the undergound. Hopefully they can add most back in.

oldergamer

Matthew Mcconaughey Ok GIF

Sony sounds like a brat. They sure were raging softly during NMS’s fiasco.
I have a feeling Sony corporate japan isn't happy (dunno if the game even released there, it might have) about it simply due to it making it through certification in that poor state. I honestly don't think they care much about performance, its more the crashing and obvious bugs where it was unplayable. They dropped the ball forcing certain issues to be fixed. Notice SCEE wasn't mentioned. They are forced to release games submitted on the platform in europe. They can't block a release since getting sued in the PS2 days (and lost) due to bad practices in Europe (blocking titles from being certified because sony had competing games in development).

Sony America is likely not happy about the exposure to the refund policy. This made them look bad initially. They will be pissed at CDPR and will put them through the wringer before approving for release.

Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo can be total dicks when they want to be. however its usually reserved for smaller publishers and developers.

Last edited:

Elios83

Seems made up using all the rumors that circulated plus things that are realistic to believe for a game released in an unfinished/unpolished state like CB2077.
I wouldn't trust random reddit users.

ethomaz

Banned
So gifs against truth lol
Just take the L it is better and less shameless.

TLOU2's actors acting are one of the best work in the industry... it even shines on Abby's actress acting.... that surprised most of these that played the game because his acting skills was even better than Joel and Ellie actors that were already considered very good.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
To my knowledge, CD Projekt RED's first official denial of the rumours (source - official CD Projekt Forums ) has just been issued:

About the GamerFAQ leaks (original source), reply from Vattier, who works at "CD Projekt RED's HQ"

Perhaps the OP, KiteGr KiteGr , would like to update the OP with this official comment.
Original source is 4chan... GamerFAQ is just a copy/paste of some posts shameless not linking the original source.

True or not the "CD Projekt Red's HQ" will never confirm it.

Last edited:
That's why game companies shouldn't be publicly listed

Ah.

If CD Projekt RED wasn't listed it wouldn't exist. If it wouldn't exist, the Witcher franchise would exist, Gwent wouldn't exist, Cyberpunk 2077 wouldn't exist.

Yup, ideological blindness is bad even for your hobby of choice.
Who would have thought?

ethomaz

Banned
Ah.

If CD Projekt RED wasn't listed it wouldn't exist. If it wouldn't exist, the Witcher franchise would exist, Gwent wouldn't exist, Cyberpunk 2077 wouldn't exist.

Yup, ideological blindness is bad even for your hobby of choice.
Who would have thought?
The company was public listed after The Witcher, no? I believe the public listing become a thing in March 16th, 2018... Cyberpunk 2077 is probably their first game after gone public.

Edit - Fixed the date.

Last edited:

Inuteu

Talking about Vampire the masquerade, its sad that Cyberpunk have only 3 options of caracter, and Vampire had several diferent ones

In CP the skill tree is the same for all 3, the only thing that differs is the begining and some lines of dialogue

It didn't go public until March 18th, 2018

So this is quite false

Really?

Let's look at the facts (my emphasis):

"In 2009, CD Projekt's then-parent company, CDP Investment, announced its plans to merge with Optimus S.A. in a deal intended to reorganise CD Projekt as a publicly traded company. The merger was closed in December 2010 with Optimus as the legal surviving entity; Optimus became the current incarnation of CD Projekt S.A. in July 2011.[7]" (source)

This means that plans to become a publicly listed company were in place before The Witcher 2 was released in 2011, which means its development and marketing campaign could reap the rewards of financial operations made under the assumption the company would be going public. And without the relative success of TW2, TW3 wouldn't exist. And neither would CP2077.

"However, eventually, in 2009, when CD Projekt hit very serious financial issues, mostly related to the global economic crisis and excessive investments – works on They were suspended and never restarted again." (source)

This means the decision to go public was due to them being in hot financial waters. They needed fresh dough. No dough, no TW2, no TW3, no CP2077.

Additionally, you are completely wrong regarding the claim they went public circa March 18th, 2018. Even a cursory Google search would have told you the stock has been traded since Gosh knows when:

"CD Projekt is top performer among Stoxx 600 peers since 2009" (source - Bloomberg Finance)

"A lone medieval warrior fighting supernatural beasts has paved the way for Europe’s biggest stock success of the past decade. Poland’s CD Projekt Sa, maker of the Witcher role-playing computer game, has posted a return of 21,000% since the end of 2009, the biggest jump by far of any stock currently listed in the Stoxx Europe 600 Index." (source)

You are wrong on all accounts.
You are wrong on the premise and wrong on the prescription.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I don't agree, this actually does sound like someone that worked on the game. They mention certain details that nobody outside the team could make up imo. The decisions to cut things makes sense, with the exception of the undergound. Hopefully they can add most back in.

Do you think an eastern European developer for whom English is a second language, would use a typically American expression like "screw the pooch"?

Really?

Let's look at the facts (my emphasis):

"In 2009, CD Projekt's then-parent company, CDP Investment, announced its plans to merge with Optimus S.A. in a deal intended to reorganise CD Projekt as a publicly traded company. The merger was closed in December 2010 with Optimus as the legal surviving entity; Optimus became the current incarnation of CD Projekt S.A. in July 2011.[7]" (source)

This means that plans to become a publicly listed company were in place before The Witcher 2 was released in 2011, which means its development and marketing campaign could reap the rewards of financial operations made under the assumption the company would be going public. And without the relative success of TW3, TW3 wouldn't exist. And neither would CP2077.

"However, eventually, in 2009, when CD Projekt hit very serious financial issues, mostly related to the global economic crisis and excessive investments – works on They were suspended and never restarted again." (source)

This means the decision to go public was due to them being in hot financial waters. They needed fresh dough. No dough, no TW3, no TW3, no CP2077.

Additionally, you are completely wrong regarding the claim they went public circa March 18th, 2018. Even a cursory Google search would have told you the stock has been traded since Gosh knows when:

"CD Projekt is top performer among Stoxx 600 peers since 2009" (source - Bloomberg Finance)

"A lone medieval warrior fighting supernatural beasts has paved the way for Europe’s biggest stock success of the past decade. Poland’s CD Projekt Sa, maker of the Witcher role-playing computer game, has posted a return of 21,000% since the end of 2009, the biggest jump by far of any stock currently listed in the Stoxx Europe 600 Index." (source)

You are wrong on all accounts.
You are wrong on the premise and wrong on the prescription.
tenor.gif

I was wrong and you were right

Do you think an eastern European developer for whom English is a second language, would use a typically American expression like "screw the pooch"?

I found it more suspect they'd namedrop a co-worker in a leak. That's a good way to get deservedly blacklisted from your chosen industry if you ever get caught. Correct me if wrong as I've never worked for a large corporate company but, besides the leak itself, that seems highly unprofessional and unethical.

diffusionx

Gold Member

That's not the real quote, and it makes no sense anyway.

The real quote is - a delayed game is only delayed until it comes out

Which actually does make sense - if CDPR delayed the game another six months, people would have been pissed, but only for six months. Now they blew a decade of hard-ass work building up goodwill with vidya fans.

Last edited:

DansDans

It’s been made clear time and time again that “certification” isn’t exactly them playing the whole thing through and looking for every bug. They’re not beta testing it for them, plus they were told it would be patched. Sony complaining would be CDPR going out and promising refunds without consulting them and causing a flood of requests.
It’s a shitshow of CDPRs making that they released a fucked console version and hid it from public view.
and my point is maybe its about time it does

Patrick S.

Banned
I would actually be a little surprised if CDPR don't attempt to really improve this game, not just with bugs, performance, and AI, but restoring cut content and adding QoL features as well. Their reputation is well and beyond fucked at this point, and they know it.
I agree that the console versions are a shitshow and the game is obviously not what it could/should have been, but I also remember a saying we used to have on PlanetCrap: Developers owe you nothing.

Madflavor

I agree that the console versions are a shitshow and the game is obviously not what it could/should have been, but I also remember a saying we used to have on PlanetCrap: Developers owe you nothing.

I mean they definitely owe people a functional game, especially when they went on and on about how well it runs on base consoles. And if you don't agree, well I think the whole situation and the backlash speaks for itself.

EDMIX

Sounds quite suspicious, but could be plausible if it was actually vetted.

The last time a developer was vetted by Jason Scheirer many people shit on him too when he says the game is so buggy, it needs 5 more months to be playable. Many people doesn't believe it and trust CDPR, turns out that anon was right.

So 5 months more plus a bit and we have June. Perhaps in June things will really run much better.

Pretty much. My view has always been, even if I don't like this Jason person, if the information is legit, who cares? Its looking like that leak was correct and indeed trouble is happening in development. People kept denying this, yet now are saying how bad management is? I'm sure they are shit, but the leak sorta stated that months ago and I wish people took that leak seriously instead of getting hung up on this whole Jason Scheirer thing.

I can disagree with someone, I can even feel they are garbage, but that doesn't mean 100% of everything they say MUST be a lie or something. This launch shows lots of what he was talking about was spot on.

They never had 8 years but thats not my point - people give devs a pass because you can very often see that there are a lot of things that works really great and are detailed/polished while others are janky - and this is the evidence that they either:
1) needed more time which is obvious. I would give 1 year more.
2) they lacked of manpower - and by lack of manpower I don't necessarily mean low number of devs but the lack of experience for most devs - this is very often a problem for "popular" studios where people are willing to work there for very low paycheck just to so they could put in CV that they worked here and there. Blizzard had huge problem with it some time ago where most of the devs were some kind of juniors without experiance and most experianced dev left the company.
So when do we draw the line? Cyberpunk devs are given a pass for God knows why but 343 devs are guilty of the abysmal thing they showed just a couple months ago?

Patrick S.

Banned
I mean they definitely owe people a functional game, especially when they went on and on about how well it runs on base consoles. And if you don't agree, well I think the whole situation and the backlash speaks for itself.
They should definitely fix the issues with the game, and go back to the drawing board to maximise performance on consoles as good as possible, but you are not owed that a hundred developers go to work for a few hundred extra hours with the mission of adding free content to your game in order to compensate you for your disappointment with it. Caveat emptor.

Don't care for DLC.

Fix the base game first. After that I will have all the time in the world for DLC.

Can't wait to start my PC build for this game and other future titles.

Kumomeme

I've been wondering: is that still true in our day and age? We've had several comeback stories with the likes of FFXIV, No Man's Sky, Fallout 76, etc.
It seems more studios are willing to continue working on their rushed/flawed projects and plan for the long term.

Maybe the quote today should change to : A delayed game is eventually good or bad. A rushed game is forever bad if the studio gives up on improving it.
FFXIV 1.0 only manages to fix some portion of the game and make it playable but thats its. no more. there nothing can be done about the core of the game.
it end up with the devs REMAKE whole game into 2.0 insteads because there no other best possible way. because you just only able to patch hole of already existing pipe. there limit to what you can do in that state and it not easy.
I went to the upper management of the company in our headquarters, and what I told them is, "We are in a critical condition right now. We would either have to, one, completely rebuild this game and build from the ground up or, two, we would continue to update for maybe three more years and shut down the project altogether." - Naoki Yoshida

Last edited:
Original source is 4chan... GamerFAQ is just a copy/paste of some posts shameless not linking the original source.

True or not the "CD Projekt Red's HQ" will never confirm it.

Exactly. What else were they going to say? "Yes. I can confirm that everything that guy stated are true!"

Madflavor

They should definitely fix the issues with the game, and go back to the drawing board to maximise performance on consoles as good as possible, but you are not owed that a hundred developers go to work for a few hundred extra hours with the mission of adding free content to your game in order to compensate you for your disappointment with it. Caveat emptor.

No but if they have any inclination of ever being looked at in a positive light again, they need to do more to support the game than just the bare minimum.

Top Bottom