• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Almost a year is passed and VRR is still unavailable on ps5. It's time to say it's not acceptable

Gonna have to try BFI while playing Dirt 5 just to see what that looks like. Even without any motion assistance, my C1 runs laps around my previously owned QN90A away in clarity thanks to OLED response time. No way I could go back.
For sure, try it out. Qn90a was just trash all round. In my messing around with my c1, it made a difference but not as much as it does on Sony so I was using the boost mode for 9.5 ms lag at 60hz. It'll be 21 ms at 60hz with bfi but might be more useful for 120fps games. I must say the boost mode lag pretty much feels like crt.

Hope you got a good panel for your c1, i've got an a80j coming on the 19th and hopefully it's my last for a while!

ABnormal

Play some games with tearing and come back here to say "VVR" it's not a big deal.
That was exactly what I was talking about. Tearing is pretty much non-existent in this new gen so far (at least on ps5 - but it's more present in XSX games), and when it's there, it's nowere as perceptible as the previous two gen. This is just hot air talk, not something serious. It's not better than the pc maniac who goes crazy seeing fraps (not even directly perceiving it) going two frames below. If one wants "perfection", then he has to buy a gaming pc with more than needed power, in order to easily comply even with the heaviest situations. On consoles, game engines are always pushed to max and there will always be situations that will bring the engine a bit beyond what it can handle. But if the developer chooses the right compromise, it is possible to have the highest possible detail with almost perfect frame stability. And especially in this new generation, the use of dynamic resolution has been a life saver. That alone brought basically almost perfect frame rate consistency. That allowed to push detail a little further. Obviously, that means the game is still playing around a edge, and some overburden sometimes occurs. But the accomodation is so good that you can really notice it only through some detector.
Clearly, the more the better, so, when VRR will be there, even those little hiccups will pass unnoticed (VRR doesn't add frames, is simply allows the screen to adjust the output to any frame rate, so that even if the frame rate drops, you will not see any stuttering (particularly visible when you turn camera around) in those moments. But, as said, using dynamic resolution has greatly reduced any of such episodes. But to say that VRR is somethin concretely relevant (in this gen), especially considering the little amount of VRR ready TVs out there now, is clearly a big overstatement. For WHO is important? How mant have the hardware to care? That's a minimum fraction, nobody else cares (or can care). And even for those few in possession of VRR ready TVs, frame rate/tearing problems are now very limited, in this gen.

I’ve been playing Days Gone and Spider-Man again and they only drop to around 58 fps but the frame time spike is really noticeable now that everything else I play on has either g-sync or VRR. There is no way you would notice that with VRR so hopefully it comes soon.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Damn right. If Sony doesn’t have it, I don’t want it, and neither should you. Not even if Sony said it’s coming. It’s your fault for being dumb enough to believe them.

Genx3

Not true, if you compare LG OLEDs to Sony OLEDs in terms of PQ there is few important things Sony does noticeably better.

LGs are best bang for buck, sure, but they aren't best overall.
The general consensus is Sony TV's are great for Movies while LG's are better for gaming and everything else.

"not acceptable"?? you sound like a spoiled child.

what if it takes them 2 years to get it working, what then?

how do you know what is "acceptable", assuming they'd even entertain you.

Do you plan to stomp your feet as you tell them??? lmao

Genx3

That was exactly what I was talking about. Tearing is pretty much non-existent in this new gen so far (at least on ps5 - but it's more present in XSX games), and when it's there, it's nowere as perceptible as the previous two gen. This is just hot air talk, not something serious. It's not better than the pc maniac who goes crazy seeing fraps (not even directly perceiving it) going two frames below. If one wants "perfection", then he has to buy a gaming pc with more than needed power, in order to easily comply even with the heaviest situations. On consoles, game engines are always pushed to max and there will always be situations that will bring the engine a bit beyond what it can handle. But if the developer chooses the right compromise, it is possible to have the highest possible detail with almost perfect frame stability. And especially in this new generation, the use of dynamic resolution has been a life saver. That alone brought basically almost perfect frame rate consistency. That allowed to push detail a little further. Obviously, that means the game is still playing around a edge, and some overburden sometimes occurs. But the accomodation is so good that you can really notice it only through some detector.
Clearly, the more the better, so, when VRR will be there, even those little hiccups will pass unnoticed (VRR doesn't add frames, is simply allows the screen to adjust the output to any frame rate, so that even if the frame rate drops, you will not see any stuttering (particularly visible when you turn camera around) in those moments. But, as said, using dynamic resolution has greatly reduced any of such episodes. But to say that VRR is somethin concretely relevant (in this gen), especially considering the little amount of VRR ready TVs out there now, is clearly a big overstatement. For WHO is important? How mant have the hardware to care? That's a minimum fraction, nobody else cares (or can care). And even for those few in possession of VRR ready TVs, frame rate/tearing problems are now very limited, in this gen.
Doesn't VRR also keep the game feeling smooth?
Or do you like the choppy feeling every time the FPS drops??

Genx3

"not acceptable"?? you sound like a spoiled child.

what if it takes them 2 years to get it working, what then?

how do you know what is "acceptable", assuming they'd even entertain you.

Do you plan to stomp your feet as you tell them??? lmao
Xbox supported VRR last gen back in 2017 and PC cards supported it before then.

So yes it's not acceptable considering PS5 released in 2020.
No excuses, PS5 should fully support VRR for displays that have the feature.

I personally think PS5 simply won't support it. PS6 is when you'll likely get it.

The general consensus is Sony TV's are great for Movies while LG's are better for gaming and everything else.
Which is oversimplified guff for the masses and not true. Last I checked, PQ matters while gaming ffs.

It would be correct to say LG is better with gaming specific features.

Going from A8h to C1 was really eye opening for me ; Sony has a big lead in picture quality. Esp. Gradation, upscaling and out of the box color.

Last edited:

PerfectDark

Banned
I would bet against Sony with PS5 and all TV's they promise VRR on to never have it. I have a Vizio oled and 120hz and vrr has never worked. Should be able to get my money back. I would sold off my ps5's because of this and avoided all Sony TV's. I know Vizio got me but I got a LG C1 and learned a lesson if it don't work day 1 return and don't trust some con man company BS.

Last edited:

ABnormal

Doesn't VRR also keep the game feeling smooth?
Or do you like the choppy feeling every time the FPS drops??
Yes, VRR helps "feeling" smoothness in the game. Did you read before commenting?

VRR makes the tv screen adjust its video output to any frame rate, so it doesn't change frame rate itself (if it goes down, it goes down with VRR too, at the same amount). But synching frame rate with the screen refresh rate, it prevents stuttering and tearing. So, slowdowns will be there anyway. You will simply avoid those annoying screen consequencies caused by frame drops. Which is good, if the frame drops are major.
But the point people seem to ignore (just to keep this nonsensical topic alive), is that frame drops are almost imperceptible to eye vision, mostly due to dynamic resolution, which keeps frame rate consistent varying pixel output. In this new gen games are nowhere nearly as bad as previous gens, regarding frame drops (they are only perceptible and significant through some analisying device), so the impact of VRR is negligible. It makes an insignificant difference in real play (unless one is playing in some badly optimized platform - but till now, consoles did the best ever job, compared to previous gens).
So, putting aside that the fps that made me have most fun was BFBC2, which had major frame drops, but that I would always prefer playing above everything else came out with perfect frame rate, the present console experience is pretty much flawless, from the frame rate point of view. VRR would have made a big difference in smoothness in previous gens, but in the present one it is barely needed. Just that minor smoothening here and there, that nobody sane would even notice if not there.
I have yet to see some significant choppiness in this new gen (I'm waiting to see BF6 to see how is the performance and hoping they will still using dynamic resolution to ensure frame rate stability), and even if this fall I will finally decide to buy one of the new Panasonic Oled TVs (all of them VRR compatible), I'm not really holding my breath to have VRR anabled as soon as possible. We can espect pretty much a flawless experience, in this gen.
There are even cases when it's better not to enable it, since it increases latency (for example in VR games).

dotnotbot

Which is oversimplified guff for the masses and not true. Last I checked, PQ matters while gaming ffs.

It would be correct to say LG is better with gaming specific features.

Going from A8h to C1 was really eye opening for me ; Sony has a big lead in picture quality. Esp. Gradation, upscaling and out of the box color.

It's mainly the gradation for me that is a problem, LG OLEDs are the worst with this out of all premium TVs. HDTVTest always says that color gradation on LG isn't as good as Pana and Sony, even Vizio was better than LG. In the newest Samsung Neo QLED review he also says that gradation is better than LG OLEDs. I don't know why LG completely ignores this. I guess not enough reviews mention this, most people don't know this is a problem with LG and if you go to r/OLED they've got an army of deffenders saying that it's not the TV but always fault of content.

Soodanim

Buy products, not promises.

Buying a promise is worse than buying early access, which is paying to be a beta tester.

It's mainly the gradation for me that is a problem, LG OLEDs are the worst with this out of all premium TVs. HDTVTest always says that color gradation on LG isn't as good as Pana and Sony, even Vizio was better than LG. In the newest Samsung Neo QLED review he also says that gradation is better than LG OLEDs. I don't know why LG completely ignores this. I guess not enough reviews mention this, most people don't know this is a problem with LG and if you go to r/OLED they've got an army of deffenders saying that it's not the TV but always fault of content.
Yeah. 4k vs. 4k content ; gradation is the biggest difference. I was playing my switch on the c1 though, and I am not exaggerating when I say luigi's mansion 3 almost looked like it was half resolution when compared to the A8h so the upscaling is a huge issue.

Out of the box color is important but at least you can calibrate that. Motion while gaming is better on Sony (initially I thought ifferent but that was placebo effect coming from Qn90a) but at least compared to the A8h there's actually less motion artifacts on C1 (improved from CX) in movies when using interpolation which is a nice win for LG there but their other processing needs a lot of work.

Last edited:

Hawk269

I am not holding out any hope that it comes.....just go as any Sony 900h owners...they have been waiting now for almost 18+ months and still nothing. The board they used on their TV's are from MediaTek and that is what most are saying is the issue....MediaTek has not been able to figure out how to get VRR working and then Sony in all their wisdom decided to use the same MediaTek board on their 2021 TV's.

I had the Sony A90J 65" OLED and honestly it is the best TV I have ever seen...but the lack of VRR and only 2 HDMI 2.1 ports is what killed it for me and had to send it back. I could manage (would be tough) only 2 2.1 ports, but VRR is pretty big on my list of features for a TV. One Month before the A90J came out Sony changed the timing of the VRR update for this set from shortly after release to Summer 2021 then changed it again to Winter 2021. I don't think it will ever come out. Just feel bad for 900h owners that bought the TV based on Sony telling them it was coming "soon" then they kept delaying it where people were out of the return window's.

kingkaiser

I really wonder if the supposedly lackluster MediaTek SOC used in the Bravias is the limiting factor here. Why else would Sony be not able to even update their older 2020 models with VRR?
I hope it's not the SOC though, because I am quite tempted buying a Sony A80J to replace my current TV which on the verge of dying.

dotnotbot

I really wonder if the supposedly lackluster MediaTek SOC used in the Bravias is the limiting factor here. Why else would Sony be not able to even update their older 2020 models with VRR?
I hope it's not the SOC though, because I am quite tempted buying a Sony A80J to replace my current TV which on the verge of dying.

Philips 2021 OLEDs have exact same SOC and VRR already works but I just found out that the board is different. Hard to say what difference it makes since there is 0 info on the web.

Panasonic 2021 OLEDs have different Mediatek model number (MT5816 instead of MT5895 found on Sony and Philips) but similar issues as Sony XH90 (worse color gradation, blurry 4k@120) and VRR is also there from day one.

So hard to say for sure this is not a HW issue since every manufacturer uses slightly different HW but it should be fine.

Sony 2021 A80/A90J:

Sony 2020 XH90:

Panasonic 2021 JZ2000:

Philips 2021:

Hisense U8GQ - can't find info what Mediatek model it uses but seems to have similar issues as others: Dolby Vision with VRR has artifacts (same as Panasonic), 4k@120 isn't true 120 Hz because TV is dropping frames in this mode (lol):

Huge congratulations to Mediatek for making most of the HDMI 2.1 TVs broken. Seems like everyone except LG and Samsung is using Mediatek.

Last edited:
Philips 2021 OLEDs have exact same SOC and VRR already works but I just found out that the board is different. Hard to say what difference it makes since there is 0 info on the web.

Panasonic 2021 OLEDs have different Mediatek model number (MT5816 instead of MT5895 found on Sony and Philips) but similar issues as Sony XH90 (worse color gradation, blurry 4k@120) and VRR is also there from day one.

So hard to say for sure this is not a HW issue since every manufacturer uses slightly different HW but it should be fine.

Sony 2021 A80/A90J:

Sony 2020 XH90:

Panasonic 2021 JZ2000:

Philips 2021:

Hisense U8GQ - can't find info what Mediatek model it uses but seems to have similar issues as others: Dolby Vision with VRR has artifacts (same as Panasonic), 4k@120 isn't true 120 Hz because TV is dropping frames in this mode (lol):

Huge congratulations to Mediatek for making most of the HDMI 2.1 TVs broken. Seems like everyone except LG and Samsung is using Mediatek.

Basically on Samsung and LG put in the work in this regard and everyone else cheaped out.

Maybe next year Sony will 100% catch up with their new 2022 series. When Sony does update 900h,2021 sets it will be inferior to the 4k60 experience due to fake 4k120.

Me personally, I planned on choosing 60fps over 120 for the higher resolution on ps5. But the shittiest thing for me is if I want to play ratchet in 40fps on Sony, I have to live with worse output (4k120output) so that mode is a no go unfortunately.

Last edited:
Top Bottom