• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Almost all" top 100 PS4 games will be playable at launch on the PS5, with more titles playable over time

Kokoloko85

Sure, but it comes right out of Mark Cerny's mouth. I mean if you can't take that as truth then I guess he's lying again. *shrug*

He says the following, "the logic and feature set that PS4 and PS4 Pro titles rely on is still available in backwards compatibility modes [on PS5]."

I encourage you to watch the video. It is time marked where he begins talking about backwards compatibility.

It's very clear the distinction of when he's talking about legacy mode and the "100 game" boost mode features.

It wasnt so clear. Just like when they announced boost mode on pro. they didnt explain it well then either.
And they need to release a solid statement on it because alot of people are baffled

Iv5ahk6.png
But you know ofcourse all of those are from the blog posting .non of them has reached for clarification. But you are right if they don't fix it tomorrow, then their BC is shitty

I actually enjoyed the Cerny talk, but Sony's decision to talk too much about the console and its design before unveiling it to a mass audience is, well, mind boggling.
Last time they did so well with a big PS4 reveal that talked about the specs, the features and the games. Now they've just been tapering things out.

If they weren't winning on power, at least they should have had a presentation that fronted the benefit, game announcements, as well as possibly being ahead on the price. Perhaps special benefits to the PS5's backwards compatibility, could've been a feature to counter the negative aspect that all PS4 games won't be playable at launch.
Even last time road to ps4 was there but non of us watch it cause it was for devs . This time the road to ps5 became the main source .like who the fuck thought that was a good idea ?

Shmunter

It’s like you believe everything you read on the Internet. Especially games jurnos that cut and paste each other like lemmings. Believe that or listen to what Cerny is actually saying.

If you can’t understand what he is saying than you’ll just need to be told what to think, the source is your personal choice.

FireFly

Sure, but it comes right out of Mark Cerny's mouth. I mean if you can't take that as truth then I guess he's lying again.

He says the following, "the logic and feature set that PS4 and PS4 Pro titles rely on is still available in backwards compatibility modes [on PS5]."
Surely that is necessary for any hardware based BC? If the feature set wasn't available then the game couldn't work as designed. The question is whether from the game's perspective it is *exactly like* running on the original hardware. And that question isn't answered by Cerny's quote.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
It’s like you believe everything you read on the Internet. Especially games jurnos that cut and paste each other like lemmings. Believe that or listen to what Cerny is actually saying.

If you can’t understand what he is saying than you’ll just need to be told what to think, the source is your personal choice.

My source is Sony’s own write up on their own blog. My assumption based on the blog + presentation is that the PS5 can potentially make the PS4 code unstable and they have to go through and test games. They will have 100 fully tested and tweaked to go by launch. If all games were BC that would be listed as a bullet point feature to help sell the PS5 and have been clearly stated.

Every site is running with that. If they are silent today I think it is pretty safe this is the case. If they don’t bother to correct all the news outlets it is because there is nothing to correct. I hope you are right, but I am expecting the worse case situation at this point where only 100 games will be BC at launch.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
So, if the articles or the blog post is wrong:

why isn’t Sony clarifying this? Could be easy. Just update the blog post.

Yep. It wouldn’t be hard to update their own blog by now if it was wrong. I’m sure they’ve read all the press that says only 100 games will be BC. I’ll give them another day to see if they say anything though.

Kokoloko85

Did you watch the video?

Yes:

the bit that confuses everyone: The last sentence

”out fo the top 100, almost all of them will be playable on Playstation 5”
Not the rest of the games will be available on day 1? And top 100 available in boost mode.

I can see when he talks about backwards compatitbilty being in, and says “ITS IN,”
But alot of people are confused

Shmunter

My source is Sony’s own write up on their own blog. My assumption based on the blog + presentation is that the PS5 can potentially make the PS4 code unstable and they have to go through and test games. They will have 100 fully tested and tweaked to go by launch. If all games were BC that would be listed as a bullet point feature to help sell the PS5 and have been clearly stated.

Every site is running with that. If they are silent today I think it is pretty safe this is the case. If they don’t bother to correct all the news outlets it is because there is nothing to correct. I hope you are right, but I am expecting the worse case situation at this point where only 100 games will be BC at launch.
I’m not sure if anybody’s ever mentioned this to you...you’re not the sharpest tool in the shed?

Nah, just kidding, you’re alright.

mortal

Gold Member
its a big deal. Especially in the messaging:

MS: we believe in investment protection and Legacy. PLAY ALL your Xbox one games. And the BEST Xbox 360, and OG Xbox games FOR FREE.
PS5: some, but not all of your PS4 games will work. No ps1,2 and 3. sorry.

and especially at the beginning of the gen,this will make a huge difference. There are not many games at the beginning of the gen.
so basically, series X will start with much much more games compared to PS5. it also shows that investing in the Xbox ecosystem is more worth it than PS
Wait what? Did you reply to the wrong person?

Could have been worded better.

Punch up not down!
What? It was pretty clear lol

lynux3

Surely that is necessary for any hardware based BC? If the feature set wasn't available then the game couldn't work as designed. The question is whether from the game's perspective it is *exactly like* running on the original hardware. And that question isn't answered by Cerny's quote.
It is my understanding, based on Cerny's wording, that legacy mode indicates that games will run as they would on PS4 and PS4 Pro. Only boosted games would be enhanced.

Thats their patent on bc and why ps5 has both ps4 and pro frequency baked inside it . So it acts like legacy hardware when it detects it .just like how pro handles BC with ps4.

Shin

Banned
This is what it says on the blog:
What happens when Jim Ryan have a people don't use it moment and the team/resources is allocated elsewhere?
We all know by now how he feels about BC and he's the one leading PlayStation now, not to mention there's an asterisk behind those Top 100 games.
Microsoft for example promises that your games all the way back from the original Xbox to work on Series X, but during the presentation PlayStation didn't mention whether it's a hardware or software solution - they just glimpsed over it.

Lastly, we’re excited to confirm that the backwards compatibility features are working well. We recently took a look at the top 100 PS4 titles as ranked by play time, and we’re expecting almost all of them to be playable at launch on PS5. With more than 4000 games published on PS4, we will continue the testing process and expand backwards compatibility coverage over time.

lynux3

Yes:

the bit that confuses everyone: The last sentence

”out fo the top 100, almost all of them will be playable on Playstation 5”
Not the rest of the games will be available on day 1? And top 100 available in boost mode.

I can see when he talks about backwards compatitbilty being in, and says “ITS IN,”
But alot of people are confused
It's only confusing because people are taking that statement out of context like you are now. He doesn't even talk about those top 100 games until he's talking about how PS5's additional resources enhance those specific games when running in native backwards compatibility mode (aka Boost Mode). Prior to that statement Cerny talks about how PS5's GPU is backwards compatible with PS4's GPU through those modes... native mode (boost) and legacy modes (PS4/PS4 Pro).

It's safe to say that PS5 is completely backward compatible with PS4 using those modes... only the top 100 games will be enhanced by PS5's additional power.

Last edited:

manzo

This was one of the case examples how to majorly fuck up the marketing of a system. Same kind of mistakes as Microsoft did back in 2012.

Even if this deep-dive was meant to be a GDC presentation for the developers, now that it was changed to be THE first dive to the system architecture, the messaging should've been way more clear.

How I understood from Cerny's presentation was:

1. 99.9% of the PS4 and PS4 Pro games are BC compatible out of box with legacy mode.
  2. For PS5 boost mode, 100 games that are most-played in playtime has been tested as-of-today, which MOST work just fine with boost mode on.
  3. For the rest of the games, legacy mode must be used.
  4. The compatibility for PS5 boost mode will be added per-title basis for titles that have known issues. <- This, as seen with Microsoft, will only be part of the plan within the first year of launch IMHO.

How I understood from the Twitter post:
  1. Only top 100 games that are most-played in playtime has been tested as-of-today for BC full-stop.
  2. Most games out of that top 100 list work fine with BC
  3. The compatibility for BC will be added per-title basis for titles that have known issues

And as of now, no-one from Sony has clarified which scenario it is. If enthusiast are confused, it's a shitshow for the casuals. Wii U situation anyone?

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

It's only confusing because people are taking that statement out of context like you are now. He doesn't even talk about those top 100 games until he's talking about how PS5's additional resources enhance those specific games when running in native backwards compatibility mode (aka Boost Mode). Prior to that statement Cerny talks about how PS5's GPU is backwards compatible with PS4's GPU through those modes... native mode (boost) and legacy modes (PS4/PS4 Pro).

It's safe to say that PS5 is completely backward compatible with PS4 using those modes... only the top 100 games will be enhanced by PS5's additional power.

Ill have to take it on the chin Lol. Thats how I felt until my brother txt me all sorts like tempretures bad, no BC and super weak. then i came on neogaf and thought damn hes right. And then i got confused. Mass hysteria haha.

You are right and i am wrong lol.
Hopefully anyway. Hope they make a quick clarification for everyone else

lynux3

Ill have to take it on the chin Lol. Thats how I felt until my brother txt me all sorts like tempretures bad, no BC and super weak. then i came on neogaf and thought damn hes right. And then i got confused. Mass hysteria haha.

They'll make a clarification. I wouldn't put any stock into the blog posting over what Mark Cerny is saying. A lot of people got confused, but it's clear he's only talking about boosted games and not backwards compatibility as a whole when put into context.

Shmunter

If even just one gets saved, it was worth it

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
the boost is massive this time
This is actually interesting.
So the boost is more then just 4k and framerate?
I know not all games had better framerate and 4k Res.
But for him to say its massive must mean it's more then what Pro and X did?

Nope , don’t expect any enhancements (4k and stuff) , the boost will be just like pro’s with more stable (but not higher 30 vs. 60) frame rates. I will be gladly proven wrong if that is not the case but I seriously doubt it.

dilbag

Did they say anything about enhancements? I know Xbox wont have enhancements on every game but its cool that their first party games and cyberpunk will all upgrade going into Next gen if you buy it on this Gen.

Its been amazing playing Ninja gaiden black and NG2 again with the upgrades. I hope Sony offers this, would be call if i buy last of us 2 that I would get the remaster for free.

He means boost clock is jumping from 900 mhz to 2.3ghz . The boost clock is huge

Did they say anything about enhancements? I know Xbox wont have enhancements on every game but its cool that their first party games and cyberpunk will all upgrade going into Next gen if you buy it on this Gen.

Its been amazing playing Ninja gaiden black and NG2 again with the upgrades. I hope Sony offers this, would be call if i buy last of us 2 that I would get the remaster for free.
I wouldn’t hold my breath, they seem to be having serious issues with simple BC.

Aion002

It felt that probably no real enhancement, the wording that Cerny used gave me the impression that the PS5 BC is garbage. They will update some games to run on PS5 a little better than on PS4 and that's it.... and as he said, it will require an update per game....

I was dreaming that Sony would make the PS5 bc with PS1, 2, PSP, Vita and PS4... at least with PSN games.... but they straight up said that they're struggling with the 100 tops PS4 games.... what a joke.

Last edited:

dilbag

I wouldn’t hold my breath, they seem to be having serious issues with simple BC.

that is disappointing I know sony makes some amazing games but most of the time it feels like they are constantly playing catch up with MS in the features department.

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
Hey Im glad they just added PS4 games the way people are talking.

Hopefully they will mention PS1-PS3 games later or add that later.
Maybe a journalist should ask them. Did they say no to the no?

I only recall an interview with Jim Ryan where he said he thinks Playstation players don't like to play old games and that he thinks old PS1 games aged bad (made the comparison of the early GT games)

How many first party titles exist on PS4? I think they're more worried about them first.

This is still a big deal. You can play all those games day one.

that is disappointing I know sony makes some amazing games but most of the time it feels like they are constantly playing catch up with MS in the features department.
Not at all, that's the case for the both of them. I mean it took an entire gen for Xbox to finally get a Share button.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Guys look at it again.....They are testing the most popular games on PS4 and boosting them on PS5, for better performance and I suspect higher resolution.....The clocks are so high on PS5, they need to test them, but Cerny says the performance is insanely fast, what exactly is the problem here.....He already said normal BC is already in.....

I'm thinking all games will run at PS4/PRO level or you can choose to boost those they've already approved for boost, or eventually they may just greenlight all games for boost/enhancements once they've tested the entire library...

The Series X also plays 360 and OG Xbox games with enhancements.
Every single 360 and OG XBOX game?
Who here is switching to xbox

I'm an X Chad now wtf
Will you put your PS4 games for BC in Series X?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Guys look at it again.....They are testing the most popular games on PS4 and boosting them on PS5, for better performance and I suspect higher resolution.....The clocks are so high on PS5, they need to test them, but Cerny says the performance is insanely fast, what exactly is the problem here.....He already said normal BC is already in.....

I'm thinking all games will run at PS4/PRO level or you can choose to boost those they've already approved for boost, or eventually they may just greenlight all games for boost/enhancements once they've tested the entire library...

Every single 360 and OG XBOX game?

Will you put your PS4 games for BC in Series X?
Where does it say the PS4 games will be boosted with enhancements?

BC is currently called PS4 Legacy Mode and PS4 Pro Legacy Mode.

thelastword

Banned
Where does it say the PS4 games will be boosted with enhancements?

BC is currently called PS4 Legacy Mode and PS4 Pro Legacy Mode.
Cerny mentioned that the 100 games were boosted and they run at insane speeds, it can break some games, that's why they are testing...This was a GDC talk, remember MS has shown a remastered game in Gears 5 and not BC games.....So lets wait until Sony shows the actual software along with BC etc in realtime. I'm sure they will explain everything about it then.....This was more or less a technical talk primarily aimed for DEVS...….Look at twitter and see who are happy and boosting PS5? DEVS...

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Microsoft for example promises that your games all the way back from the original Xbox to work on Series X
Did they actually confirm that?
every Xbox and 360 game will work on XSX?
Or will it just be the same the Xbox One has with few new titles and Xbox One BC?

Shin

Banned
Did they actually confirm that?
every Xbox and 360 game will work on XSX?
Or will it just be the same the Xbox One has with few new titles and Xbox One BC?
It's on their website, see what it says I didn't read every article just a quick glimpse.

It's on their website, see what it says I didn't read every article just a quick glimpse.
No.

Everything currently BC for OG and 360 and the entire Xbox One library will be BC with the XSX.

They stopped the current BC program and there are rumors it will start up again. But it wasn't the entire 360/OG library.

Shin

Banned
PlayStation's messaging of "top 100 by play time" and "almost all playable at launch" and we're only talking about PS4 BC.
Xbox's post regarding BC and there's a lot more, case in point goddamn the messaging is like night and day.

The benefits of the next console generation extend in every direction, bringing greater visual fidelity and improved loading speeds to your existing gaming legacy, in addition to new games. We’re continuing our commitment to compatibility with Xbox Series X and investing in technology that makes game ownership easier across generations.

• Four generations of gaming: Our commitment to compatibility means existing Xbox One games, including backward-compatible Xbox 360 and original Xbox games, look and play better than ever before. Your favorite games, including titles in Xbox Game Pass, benefit from steadier framerates, faster load times and improved resolution and visual fidelity – all with no developer work required. Your Xbox One gaming accessories also come forward with you.
Backward Compatibility – At Xbox, we’ve made a promise to compatibility: you can expect thousands of your favorite games across four generations of gaming, your Xbox One gaming accessories, your Xbox gaming legacy, and industry-leading services like Xbox Game Pass to work with Xbox Series X. Backward compatible games will benefit from the power and performance of Xbox Series X, resulting in steadier framerates, faster load times, improved resolution and visual fidelity. Fans and game creators can feel confident they will be able to play and create the best version of their games on the Xbox Series X.

Native Resolution – Native Resolution is an Xbox Series X backwards compatibility enhancement for select Xbox One games that allows them to render at native 4K even if they weren’t originally designed for 4K.

Game Compatibility Continues in the Next Generation
The third and final pillar for Xbox Series X is compatibility. Through the Xbox One generation, the team has shown their passion and commitment for compatibility, putting the player and their favorite games at the center of everything they do. As gamers themselves, they understood that we all have our favorite memories, franchises or titles that we want to continue to play even as technology and game design continues to advance.

“The community’s response to Phil’s announcement of 360 backward compatibility at E3 2015 was one of the biggest career highlights for me in my time as part of Team Xbox,” said Ronald.

For the next generation, the team knew from the outset that they wanted to double down on compatibility. That vision helped influence the design of the system and, through a combination of hardware and software, they committed themselves to ensuring the thousands of games on Xbox One, including Xbox 360 and original Xbox games, will play even better on Xbox Series X.

“The team came and told us about Xbox Series X. They said ‘What can you do with even more power?’ So, the challenge was set. They gave us the Xbox One X and it was like we got this big playground to play with,” said Peggy Lo, Principal Program Management Lead, Backward Compatibility. “Then we got the Xbox Series X and it was like we had a whole amusement park to play in.”

Players will see the benefits of the improved hardware of Xbox Series X for backwards compatible games, including improved boot and load times, more stable frame rates, higher resolutions and improved image quality. The Compatibility team is also continuing to create entirely new techniques and innovation that we can use to further enhance the existing catalog of games when running on Xbox Series X.

The Xbox team is so committed to the concept of compatibility and cross generation play, that not only do your games move forward with you, but so do your Xbox One accessories, your game saves, and progression. In fact, your entire gaming legacy moves forward with you to the next generation.

What’s more, the team has also designed the system to enable cross generation multiplayer, as well as introduce new features such as Smart Delivery, which ensures you only have to purchase a title once, knowing you will get the best version of the title on whatever Xbox console you choose to play on. This will allow players to seamlessly move between multiple consoles and console generations as they see fit. Xbox Series X is the fastest, most powerful Xbox console ever, designed for a console generation that has you at its center. We hope this closer look at some of the design decisions and technologies powering Xbox Series X answered your questions and gave you a good idea of what to expect when the console becomes available this holiday season.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
the guy said they tested the top 100 games. i don't think that means they are only ever doing 100 games. lot of bad actors spreading misinformation with that line of thought. as for what Xbox does, IMO it's entirely irrelevant. console wars don't interest me.

its obvious BC was never a fundamental aspect of the PS5. Cerny never said as such. they are enabling BC and testing games to make sure it works, but they have over 4,000 games. you have to start somewhere. the top 100 selling games seems like a good place to start.

don't listen to Kotaku it's not a "failure of marketing" this was a GDC presentation meant for developers who will be making games for the new platform in the future. it was an engineer talking to devs about pushing data. whether or not the machine would ever play old games like Uncharted 3 or whatever is kind of irrelevant.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
umm...

Alrighty then, I guess 100% full compatibility plus all accessories is not good enough because it's not Sony.

smh.
The problem of compatiblity is that not all games will be aviable. I can bet all my collection gaming that will have problems to play rare games like niche games or japanese games that never come to Europe or América.

devilNprada

I say this as a Sony fan... Without complete access to my PS+ Library what is preventing me from just going MS this generation?
I feel completely misled by their earlier backwards compatibility statements. I was really expecting to be able to pull anything in my digital library up and play it ... immediately.

Top Bottom