• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Almost twenty minutes of Oddworld Stranger

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Even though the video was blurry it did look pretty good graphically. I can see why MS didnt want it though, they were looking for a platformer and got a shooter instead, thing they have enough shooters already.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
shit, i'm having trouble playing it too... what codec do i need?

BojTrek

Banned
I am downloading the video now... it might not play at work...

I hope you can play the game completely in 3rd. person... I don't like 1st. person shooters at all...

op_ivy

ToyMachine228 said:
I downloaded it...Still didn't work. The audio part did. But not the video itself.

same problems... gonna retsart

BuG

Do you guys have the XviD codec installed? The one Funky Papa linked to. If not, try downloading and installing that 600kb file first.

wow you guys are missing out. The game looks awesome.

The guy said you can switch from 3rd to 1st person any time. It looks like 1st person works well for sniping.

op_ivy

BuG said:
Do you guys have the XviD codec installed? The one Funky Papa linked to. If not, try downloading and installing that 600kb file first.

yeah, i did that

brandonnn

BEAUTY&SEXY
Err, this game is looking hotttt. HOTTTTTT.

Vid wouldn't play for me in Windows Media Player either, even after all the codec downloads. I used VLC and all was well.

Professor!

Will someone just host a WMF version or something? Prolly way to big of a download for anyone to even think about but...It's worth a try.

op_ivy

brandonnn said:

Vid wouldn't play for me in Windows Media Player either, even after all the codec downloads. I used VLC and all was well.

Professor!

that worked, thanks :)

and jesus, this game looks unbelievably great!

Prine

Banned
Toymachine, use the media player brandonnn posted. Worked for me

brandonnn said:

Professor!

Travado

Wow, awesome video, that looks really impresive. The action is comic and amused at the same time, I can't wait for this one!

Looks really awesome! I'm sold on any game where just romping around the landscape looks almost as fun as progressing through the game.

I just hope they get rid of the horrible, all-sound-identical, obviously-voiced-by-one-of-the-developers, pitch-shifted voices, though the odds of that happening are pretty slim. I felt really bad for all the guys watching it having to force pity-chuckles every time one of the townsfolk or ammo critters spewed out another retarded line.

aku:jiki

bobbyconover said:
I just hope they get rid of the horrible, all-sound-identical, obviously-voiced-by-one-of-the-developers, pitch-shifted voices, though the odds of that happening are pretty slim. I felt really bad for all the guys watching it having to force pity-chuckles every time one of the townsfolk or ammo critters spewed out another retarded line.
I really liked them and didn't force my chuckles. :(

They're probably voiced by Lanning, he does the majority of the voices.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
bobbyconover said:
Looks really awesome! I'm sold on any game where just romping around the landscape looks almost as fun as progressing through the game.

A friend of mine playing the game had to keep fending off panicked developers, who assumed the fact that she was just running back and forth triggering his (awesome) volte-face animation meant she didn't understand where to go next.

brandonnn

BEAUTY&SEXY
The pitch shifted voices are by now a hallmark of the series, and do conviently mask the fact that Lanning does nearly all, if not all, of the voice acting in the games (as jiki said). I dig them quite a bit, it's easily some of my favorite western voice work.

There also seems to be something quite significant about the homogeneity of all of the different races in the Oddworld -- all looking alike, all speaking alike. There's a dynamic there in all the games about the invidivual vs. the masses -- Abe rising above the other Mudokens to the level of hero, Munch being the last of the Gabbits, and now this loner Steef -- that I think goes a little deeper than the economy of reusing character models and not having to hire different actors for every character.

That's just sort of an off the cuff too tired to think response, but I really do think a lot of it is intentional characterization (and communist manifesto) and not laziness. I'm not sure exactly when this happened, because I was never that fanatically into the first two games apart from appreciating the puzzle-y gameplay, but somewhere a couple hours into Munch I suddenly completely bought into Lanning's vision and universe. Something just totally clicked.

Favorite moments of the demo:
"Now look, Stranger, we don't want no problems now, you just settle down aight?"
the way the enemies REALLY REALLY hate the chipmunks and can't help themselves from needing to stomp on them
the chipmunk calling you 'professor'

op_ivy

heh, i love that the chipmunk gets a PA system once upgraded :D

seriously, i didnt know what to expect from this game... munch was decent, but the footage a few years back on the discovery channel looked terrible, and then MS dropped the game... i had given up hope.

now, its easily one of my most anticipated games next year. it looks like its just oozing with style, creativity, awesome art, and cool gameplay ideas. and, to top it off, the graphics look amazing (from what i can gather from the poor quality footage)

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
seriously, i didnt know what to expect from this game... munch was decent, but the footage a few years back on the discovery channel looked terrible, and then MS dropped the game... i had given up hope.

I had given up too..

It certainly doesnt look like a bad game now though, i wonder if MS really did just drop it because they dont need another shooter in their portfolio, that and im sure Lorne loved to milk the MS cash cow.

Top Bottom