• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alone In The Dark - Reveal Trailer - PS5|Series|PC - Pre Order Links Live

N30RYU

kenobi-darth-vader.gif

OBI WAAAAAAAN

MrA

Banned
No. I'm not playing another game called Alone in the Dark. You can't just keep releasing games with the same name. This is me making a stand.
Ughhh I know what you mean every decade or so now is just too much, especially when they seem like they are trying to capture the spirit of the original alone in the dark,bastards.

wait a minute that trailer looked solid, hot dog I'm in

daninthemix

Ughhh I know what you mean every decade or so now is just too much, especially when they seem like they are trying to capture the spirit of the original alone in the dark,bastards.

wait a minute that trailer looked solid, hot dog I'm in
I'm not unreasonable - if they retcon a new name onto Alone in the Dark 2008 then I could be pursuaded.

ShadowNate

Looks ok. Let's see what they can do with it.

I'm interested so far.

When I bought the original title I had to upgrade my PC for it to play at all as it used the "new" HD floppy discs that my drive could not read. I played that game quite a few times. Not a big fan of the sudden death situations, but in retrospect it brought many ideas to the genre (and arguably it gave birth to it) and at least the first part of the game with the exploration of the mansion was really exciting.

peronmls

The age where no IP can die. Seriously, is anyone beyond a small percentage of old people (like the ones on this forum) interested in the slightest about Alone in the Dark? The first game was groundbreaking, back in 1990, and I remember playing it back then. The werewolf jumping outside the window and then jumping in the window scared the shit out of me as a kid. But 2 and 3 were not good. The Playstation/Dreamcast one ... I don't know, I never played it. I did play the PS3 Inferno one, and it is one of my all time favorite awful games. Then the IP died out, since Inferno performed so badly, and for good reason.
All this to say, I don't understand the interest in reviving the AITD IP. I am assuming this won't be a sequel, it will just be a soft reboot with some similar gameplay choices to make you think you are supposed to be playing a game in the AITD universe. Choose between a male or female main character, VooDoo/Lovecraft horror trappings, 1920's era setting. It isn't like a sequel to AITD, so why bother using the name, other than to just have the IP/already inbedded marketing for old ass gamers.
Sorry for the rant, but I would rather large companies invest money into making new stuff, and not just some soft reboot of an old (as dirt) IP. Make a game in the 1920's with voodoo and lovecraft horror, awesome, just leave the AITD title out of it and branch out into your own thing. ... I need to go check out Sunken City, I heard that was good.
I've said this before. We are in the era of remakes. Companies are too afraid to invest in new IPs. Maybe it's because indie games have grown tremendously. Hopefully it's just a phase.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
You do realize even though it was panned, that people actually brought Alone in the Dark 2008? Then Infogrames messed up the series afterwards with the Atari name.

Some people are just excited for the fact this new Alone in the Dark game doesn't have Ataris name on it. With competent developers behind its production for the first time since the original trilogy.

No red hair is rather odd given it's a remake.
I don't know why we are assuming that is Carnby. Although yeah the red hair is gone regardless based on the third person shots.

Terenty

Alone in the Dark 2008 is legit a great game. Yes, junky and, yes maybe has little to do with the originals, but a great game nonetheless made with care.

People barely gave it a chance, but it had so many cool mechanics and actually cool physics based puzzles with a real sense of adventure and a cool cheesy protagonist.

I wish they had continued in AitD 2008 footsteps

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Alone in the Dark 2008 is legit a great game. Yes, junky and, yes maybe has little to do with the originals, but a great game nonetheless made with care.

People barely gave it a chance, but it had so many cool mechanics and actually cool physics based puzzles with a real sense of adventure and a cool cheesy protagonist.

Honestly I'd actually like a Remake of Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare.
But that's just me..

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Because every game had him up till now as the main (or primary) character?
No, I know Carnby is the main character of the game (and it looks like we have Emily Hartwood as well) I just don't know why anyone is assuming that's his face in that shot.

Last edited:

unclbenn

that jazz break at the 1 minute mark has my attention. if this is the quality of soundtrack we have to look forward to, im down like a clown, charlie brown.

What can you do? Most gamers will refuse or let alone bother giving a game an actual genuine try unless the gaming media gives it their "royal" blessing or something.

AitD: inferno was great for its time. I think it deserves a spot as a legitimate entry in the series.

Last edited:

JCK75

1-3 were some of my favorite gaming experiences of the 90's, didn't care much for the ones that followed..
this is going back to the setting I wanted from a new AITD game.

Isa

I'm also in for day 1 save for any word on major issues. 3rd person survival horror is my jam, and the setting, lovecraftian stuff also get's me goin'. The combat does look janky, sort of lacking any impact and weight but stylistically its well done. I hope the story is good. For me a good game in the genre doesn't need to be perfect just combine all the different elements together into a cohesive and entertaining whole. A good soundtrack is also key and it seems they will nail that at least. I'm also intrigued by the two protagonists with overlap in separate campaigns. Depending on how deep they go with this it could be great. I'd love to see some OG RE 2 replayability.

No, I know Carnby is the main character of the game (and it looks like we have Emily Hartwood as well) I just don't know why anyone is assuming that's his face in that shot.

After playing 2008 and after it's not surprising at all, it would fall in line with those design changes.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

“Derceto is the prey of evil. The sun has set. I hear their footsteps. May God forgive me.”

Celebrate All Hallows’ Eve - but remember, this is not a good night to be alone... in the dark.

Alone in the Dark is coming to PC, PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S.

Killer8

It looks like Deadly Premonition but without the “So bad it’s good” but just the bad.

It does, except I came to the opposite conclusion. Much more interested in this as a weird campy Euro-jank game than something safe and soul-less that tries too hard to feel polished.

Top Bottom