• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alpha Protocol |OT| Bourne, Avellone, Denton, and the Agency's Sagacious Secrets

Llyranor said:
- GT's interactive video
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/choose-surkovs-alpha-protocol/100102
Does a good job showcasing some consequence to a specific scenario. It is related to the metacafe one, but how it unfolds is completely different (
Surkov
is not missing), which shows how your previous choices (not shown here) can affect future scenarios.
Its to bad, for me the game itself look so good, the RPG I've always wanted to play.
And than you see the combat and gameplay that look sooo weird and 2005 ish.
It looks unresponsive and the aiming reticule is just GINORMIS .... :|

Odrion

Banned
I'm wary, the game doesn't look too solid and from the sounds of it they ran out of the budget for this game and had to release it as-is.

bjork

The two reviews out for this so far are an 88% and an 8,9, I believe both came from magazines in Spain. Sounds favorable so far. :)

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Odrion said:
I'm wary, the game doesn't look too solid and from the sounds of it they ran out of the budget for this game and had to release it as-is.

What sounds make you think like that? There was one extra year to polish = more money.

Ceebs

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Also without the worlds and places to explore.
From what I read it has optional side missions you pick up from the hubs that will effect the main missions depending on what you did in the side missions. If true the optional stuff will be more than a one off mission for extra money and XP.

scarybore

I didn't realise this was coming out so soon, the delays appear to have made the final release date fly over my head. Looks like we get it a few days early in Europe as well, sweet.

Can't wait to go rocking the espionage circuit with the worlds manliest beard. :D
We need more beards in gaming, that's a fact!

lsslave

Jew Gamer
EviLore said:
I don't see much of an argument ;b

Thats the entire point of the argument! :lol

Console gamers always come up with "comfy couch" (stupid stupid argument, hooking a PC to a TV is a cakewalk if you have half a brain :lol ) and the "expense" of computers (we aren't playing Crysis damnit!) which are tired arguments.

I think the best argument is simply what do you prefer. I am a console gamer, I like playing on consoles. I have no reason or motivation but what I prefer.

You like PC (well love, I still remember my first ban when I made a joke that sounded like a troll :lol I've made sure not to joke about that topic anymore) and I don't fault you for it. PC has benefits, that much I can't deny (Witcher :( </3) but some people just like consoles.
It also helps that anything computer based I own is either a laptop for internet/watching my movies/etc. or a PC that is strictly a work station

To the user who asked me to let them know how the PS3 version is, I'll let you know on June 1st! (I warn you, I'm not a graphics whore... I notice choppiness / tearing but thats about it)

Llyranor

Ceebs said:
From what I read it has optional side missions you pick up from the hubs that will effect the main missions depending on what you did in the side missions. If true the optional stuff will be more than a one off mission for extra money and XP.
Yup. The side quests/missions are meant to be pertinent to the main story, as they may give you extra info/intel that will change your perspective on other characters, and may play a role in how you make your choices in the main story.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Thread is already getting testy. I like it.

Anyway, I just put down my preorder on Steam. Let's do this!

This has been my most anticipated game of the generation. If Alpha Protocol lets me down, may go on a long hiatus from gaming.

Preload, please?
Green Scar said:
What's the secret word in the topic title? I'm stupid :lol
You and me both, friend.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Green Scar said:
What's the secret word in the topic title? I'm stupid :lol

Secret word? Am I missing something?

Eric WK said:
Still confused. Is this game going to be good or not?

Good = Avellone. That alone promises to make the story the best WRPG written this generation.

Bad = the graphics and maybe the gameplay.

Gestahl

Relaxed Muscle said:
Yeah, people are gonna miss wasting hours exploring randomly generated scenarios, that are empty and offers nothing.

Pretty much.

Also, it seems like someone's crying about ME2 in every goddamn thread these days. ME2 was better than the first one, get over it or keep it in a place it belongs, goddamn I just want to talk about Avellone here

dionysus

Yaldog
Gestahl said:
Pretty much.

Also, it seems like someone's crying about ME2 in every goddamn thread these days. ME2 was better than the first one, get over it or keep it in a place it belongs, goddamn I just want to talk about Avellone here

Because there are so many shooter focused wrpgs out there... The comparisons are inevitable. ME2 is the closest thing you will get to AP in a sparse genre.

O.DOGG

This is my most anticipated game this year. The premise sounds fantastic, and it's made by Obisidan. I'll reserve judgment on the gameplay until I actually get to play it.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
I am going to non-lethal takedown the shit out of this game.

The biggest moral choice for me is whether my distaste for WRPG 'romance' (sic) will be overcome by Sie's Teutonic charms. Even Avellone is on record wishing they hadn't had to play up the romance options, which makes me feel worse about it than any ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: HAD SEX WITH A LADY ever could.

Gestahl

dionysus said:
Because there are so many shooter focused wrpgs out there... The comparisons are inevitable. ME2 is the closest thing you will get to AP in a sparse genre.

They were whining about it in a Gears of War 2 thread as well.

Hoping most gameplay options are viable for the entire game. Some of these heavy RPG shooters can get a little awkward when you can't hit anything at beginning levels, or several abilities that were great, like stealth and what have you, end up being phased out in terms of usefulness 3/4ths into the game.

Llyranor

NIN90 said:
Oh my god @1:55
"So I see you earned XP. Have you guys already discussed this? Is there like an RPG mechanic?"

I swear there's only idiots left at 1up.
Did you like the part where he was using stealth through the whole level as he was planning to, while sniping enemies at a distance with his shotgun, in-between his ninja acrobatics while dodging the obviously-cued grenades?

Haunted

Tokubetsu said:
w6v9u1.png

PC version
-1080p 60fps 8xAA 16xAF, faster load times, and likely better detail/effects settings
-Mods and community patches
-Choice of controls
-Choice between convenient digital distribution platforms or retail release
-Option to play at desk, or at big comfy couch simply with an hdmi cable and either usb extension cables or wireless control devices.
-$10 less

bhf4tj.jpg
This needs to be in every multiplat thread from now on. :lol

Sullen said:
Holy crap, I thought the lame replies thing in the OP covered everything but I guess not. :lol
People actually read those mega OPs? :p

No but really, everything so far I've seen in gameplay videos DOES make it seem that way. I'm not trolling, as I thought was obvious by the way I expressed hope that it would prove me wrong. :)

lsslave

Jew Gamer
miladesn said:
I need money... I don't think I can get this one, so poor right now, SMG2 or this? :(.

SMG2 will remain full priced for a while, Alpha Protocol needs the sale more! :lol

Really though, tough call man...

Concept17

Llyranor said:
Did you like the part where he was using stealth through the whole level as he was planning to, while sniping enemies at a distance with his shotgun, in-between his ninja acrobatics while dodging the obviously-cued grenades?

:lol Yeah those guys were pretty awful. They seemed more like they wanted to make fun of the game rather than actually play it. Good footage of gameplay though...even if they play like ass.

Yeah, finally finished watching part 3 of the 1up quicklook

Holy fuck! how do you fuck up something up so badly? I mean you should have just rerolled the character and then reshot the footage or something, cause yeah, it makes the gameplay look awful =/

Aselith

Oh god! It doesn't auto pick up ammo. FUCK YOU, OBSIDIAN!

Still buying but now you get an angry masturbation session, you fucks

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
-viper- said:
like we all have a pc capable of running the game at those specs. this is false advertising!
If you have a 8800 gt and good 2.2+ dual-core you should be able to run the game better than the consoles.:p unless the game is horribly optimized.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
-viper- said:
like we all have a pc capable of running the game at those specs. this is false advertising!
Yeah, my laptop only has a 2.4Ghz Quad and a 9800 GT. Not bad, but my native res is 1680x1050, and I refuse to lower it.

I hope I can keep up.

1080p + heavy AA is still a pipe dream for some of us in PC GAF.

Tokubetsu

UE3 is a pretty good engine in terms of optimization. I've yet to run into a pc game that uses it that doesn't run really well and I own Scourge...

eznark

Banned
Any preorder deals? Haven't decided the platform yet, want to do PC but every time I sit down at my desk I find myself working, so might go console. Best deal, I guess.

bathala

Banned
eznark said:
Any preorder deals? Haven't decided the platform yet, want to do PC but every time I sit down at my desk I find myself working, so might go console. Best deal, I guess.
I believe gamestop have that assualt rifle for preorder. Since that's the only AP commercial i keep seeing

Top Bottom