• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alpha Protocol |OT| Bourne, Avellone, Denton, and the Agency's Sagacious Secrets

Tokubetsu

zn61i1.jpg

2jh6ki.png

20g0d2f.jpg

Developer: Obsidian Entertainment (NWN2: Mask of The Betrayer, Knights of The Old Republic 2, Fallout New Vegas)
Publisher: Sega
Genre: Action RPG
Platforms: PC, Xbox 360, & Playstation 3
Release Date: |EU May 28th| NA June 1st|
Rating:|NA M 18+|Pegi 18+|
Available via Digital Distribution and Retail

2citg4.png

The Modern Day Espionage RPG

"In 2010, a commercial passenger airliner crashes in Eastern Europe, killing all on board the craft. The cause of accident is soon made evident: It was shot down by a surface-to-air missile of American origin. International tensions soar to a breaking point, yet the U.S. government claims no involvement with the crash. Desperate to prevent a global conflict and to investigate the attack, the U.S. government turns to its Central Intelligence Agency to handle the matter with the utmost secrecy. Calling upon rookie field agent Michael Thorton*, they place him undercover in "alpha protocol" status. A classification usually intended for more tenured agents, Alpha Protocol places the agent in a state of unaffiliation with any government or organization, in order to prevent association if the agent is captured by enemy combatants."

*Yes the main character is customizable

mv2q2x.png

Alpha Protocol is played from a third-person perspective, allowing the player to see Thorton and his surroundings at all times. As Thorton is a trained CIA operative, the tools at the player's disposal include numerous firearms, hand to hand combat using Kenpo, and spy gadgets.

Conversations occur in real-time, giving the player a limited amount of time to respond at key "decision points" during dialogue. The dialog system in the game - known as the "DSS" or Dialogue Stance system - allows the player to choose from three different attitudes, or "stances," when speaking to an NPC. Modeled loosely off of the holy trinity of J.B's; Jason Bourne (Professional), Jack Bauer (Aggressive) and James Bond (Suave).

AP also uses a "hub" system in between missions where you can gather intel and prep for the next mission of your choosing. Not all missions will be critical to progressing the story but will affect the way other missions play out or change the way characters you come across will interact with you.

65shv7.png

MUST SEE PAX Panel, "But Thou Must." If you watch only one video, it needs to be this.

A Man Alone Trailer
Small World Trailer
Michael is a lover, not a fighter!
GT Walkthrough of the Dialog Stance System.

23iiko7.png

gPJak.png

"When players pre-order Alpha Protocol at Best Buy they will guarantee that their copy will have the code to download the exclusive "Stealth Weapons Pack." This pack contains the Hamilton Marksman High-Accuracy Pistol, the Samael Typhoon High Recoil Control SMG and a bonus arsenal of ammo and mines, all designed to make every agent's mission that much more fun – and deadly for anyone that gets in their way."

Gamestop has the assault pack:
http://www.gamestop.com/gs/landing/alphapro/default.aspx

Pre-ordering via steam nets you a free copy of Space Siege:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/34010/
34glqc1.png

-- Bleh, the main character looks so generic. I'm used to charismatic protagonists like Sam Fisher and that dude from Gears of War!
-- LOL, is this a Wii game? I'm not a graphics whore but GoldenEye looks better than this crap. PC release? Well, that explains it.
-- Ugh, I don't like stupid dialogue in my shooters. Can I skip it? (That Russian chick looks totally hot though.)
-- According to my own thorough analysis, Alpha Protocol will bomb and is DOA. I know this because everybody on my friends list is playing either Red Dead Redemption or Alan Wake. Also, my buddy cleans the floor at GameStop, and he knows stuff, too!
-- Obsidian? Wasn't that an Elder Scrolls game?

24gspvk.png

Eurogamer 7/10
RPG Gamer 4/5
Gamespot 6/10
1up B+
GameInformer 6.5
GameTrailers 6.4

w6v9u1.png

PC version
-1080p 60fps 8xAA 16xAF, faster load times, and likely better detail/effects settings
-Mods and community patches
-Choice of controls
-Choice between convenient digital distribution platforms or retail release
-Option to play at desk, or at big comfy couch simply with an hdmi cable and either usb extension cables or wireless control devices.
-$10 less

bhf4tj.jpg

EviLore said:
Alpha Protocol's creative director is Chris Avellone. Avellone's credits in the video game industry include:

-Planescape: Torment, lead designer
-Fallout 2, designer of New Reno
-Knights of the Old Republic 2, lead designer
-Neverwinter Nights 2 and Mask of the Betrayer, senior designer

Every CRPG fan should be excited for this one.

Thanks to Sloane, Evilore & Subversus

Dresden

They better let me give the dude a mustache. No mustache=no sale. I'm not saving the world with some effeminate mannequin lad.

JesseZao

This was supposed to be the unofficial spiritual successor to Deus Ex 1 right? Looking forward to seeing that possibly happen.

Tokubetsu

Dresden said:
They better let me give the dude a mustache. No mustache=no sale. I'm not saving the world with some effeminate mannequin lad.

Michael will be customizable, dude you see in all the promo stuff is just the default guy.

Blizzard

Banned
I know basically nothing about the game, but a few screenshots (like the ones from the Steam store) might be nice for the OP. If you need, I can look up the URLs.

Dresden

Tokubetsu said:
Michael will be customizable, dude you see in all the promo stuff is just the default guy.
Yeah, I know. I just hope that they don't limit him to some scrubby half-beard like in Mass Effect.

Tokubetsu

Blizzard said:
I know basically nothing about the game, but a few screenshots (like the ones from the Steam store) might be nice for the OP. If you need, I can look up the URLs.

I was going to, but I felt like that would just fuel naysayers and nonbelievers even more.

Blizzard

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
See Lame Replies but I'll add them.
Trying to hide screenshots just looks kinda weird. :( At least with screenshots I'd be like "oh hey it's a 3rd-person game", or something.

Jhoan

This game really interests me. The hand-to-hand combat looks awesome and not to mention the ME1 influence (stats wise). I might actually get it. I'll keep my eye out on this thread for impressions and reviews.

Dead Man

I want to see the customisation options, and some reviews, but I am hopeful for this game. Platform is a problem though, I don't know if my laptop will run it. :lol

Edit: I will also be waiting to see if Australia gets fucked on the DD price.

daoster

I am sooo psyched...when it was still slated for the same day as the DA:O release, I was going to buy this game instead of DA:O....haha

Sure, it looks a little like ass, but I can live with it.

If Steam is gonna allow pre-loading, I might as well get it through Steam, rather than my PS3...so I hope there's pre-loading!

tokkun

Tokubetsu said:
I was going to, but I felt like that would just fuel naysayers and nonbelievers even more.

If you were worried about fueling naysayers, why make a thread title that suggests the game is mediocre?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm definitely interested. I will probably get it on Steam, but with so many games to play right now I'm not sure when I will get around to it...

Wait and see with this one. I like the idea, and I like obsidian but a lot of their games have been.. a bit bad. Plus SEGA's involvement.

LSauchelli said:
Awesome. If one can really play as a Jack Bauer clone that's pretty much an insta-buy for me. Hope it's as good as it sounds.

The idea of a spy RPG game is what's keeping me interested, I can overlook a lot of things if they can nail that aspect. Remains to be seen obviously.

Sloane

Banned
Good job, OP!

SonOfABeep said:
Wait and see with this one. I like the idea, and I like obsidian but a lot of their games have been.. a bit bad. Plus SEGA's involvement.
A lot of their... two games?

zero margin said:
The idea of a spy RPG game is what's keeping me interested, I can overlook a lot of things if they can nail that aspect.
Same here. I'm not a big fan of sci-fi, and I've played so many fantasy RPGs that the spy world feels like a very welcome change. The dialogue system looks great (I love choices), the kind of Deus Ex mechanisms seem interesting... and that's all I care about really.

wRATH2x

Banned
I'd love to get this game but since I just bought Alan Wake, RDR and am planning on getting Galaxy 2 and 3D Dot Game Heroes, I don't really have money for it. Really bad timing.

WRPGs are the only video games I play that I pay attention to the plot/characters because of how open ended they are.. hoping this one is good.

Ceebs

That PAX panel will sell anyone who plays RPGs on this game faster than the best marketing campaign in the world. I also get the feeling that you will not see another game with choices on this scale for a long time.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Alpha Protocol's creative director is Chris Avellone. Avellone's credits in the video game industry include:

Tokubetsu

EviLore said:

I'll add to OP.

_Bro

Banned
God, I'd love to buy this but I know buying the console version will just make me hate myself.

Would also love to support intelligent games (ASSUMPTION).

:(

Edgeward

Definitely a game on my radar, will have to wait on it though as my backlog is still way too big to fit another game I buy at full price and don't play. The main thing for me that needs to be great is dialogue/choices and meaningful impact with the choices.

Cep

Banned
That Singer Guy... said:
I'm torn on this game. I've seen great previews and okay-ish previews, great gameplay and okay-ish gameplay.

I guess ill wait for reviews.

I did not know they existed.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Can't wait for this game. I have been playing Deus Ex and ME2 past two weeks, so I hope this one will be a perfect hybrid. Well, not perfect but good at least.

May be if it doesn't bomb there will be better sequel.

Top Bottom