• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Alpha Protocol' (PS3/X360/PC) Officially Announced

Endless

“SEGA is very excited to be introducing a new type of gaming experience to next-gen consumers,” stated Sean Ratcliffe, Vice President of Marketing for SEGA of America, Inc. “With ground-breaking new RPG action and an interactive storyline matching the best spy-thrillers, Alpha Protocol delivers a true next-generation RPG experience.”

Loyalty carries a price and no one knows this more than agent Michael Thorton. A talented young agent cast out by his government, Thorton is the only one with the information needed to stop an impending international catastrophe. To do so means he must cut himself off from the very people he is sworn to protect. As players determine how to accomplish different objectives, the decisions made and actions taken in each mission will ultimately transform the type of secret agent Michael Thorton will become. Every choice the player makes as Michael Thorton will carry consequences for his future and the fate of the world.

“Alpha Protocol blends Obsidian’s knack for intricate story, engrossing characters, and significant character advancement with fast-paced modern combat,” said Feargus Urquhart, CEO of Obsidian Entertainment. “Alpha Protocol embraces everything we enjoy about making RPGs from a fresh perspective. We are confident our talented staff at Obsidian will enable us to deliver this exciting RPG experience.”

Alpha Protocol is slated for an early 2009 release for the Xbox 360, the PS3 and PC.

Game Informer April Issue Cover:

aprilcoverreveal.jpg

from other thead
(1 player action/RPG)

Developer: Obsidian Entertainment
Platform: PS3/360/PC
Publisher: Sega
Release: Spring 2009

"A modern day espionage focused action/RPG that takes you on a suspenseful ride in the vein of James Bond, Jack Bauer, and Jason Bourne. Take a wet-behind-the-ears greenhorn agent up through the ranks to become a bona-fide super spy."

• Main character is Michael Thorton, a fully trained but inexperienced young operative who has the world turned upside down when a mission goes wrong.

• Title "Alpha Protocol" is a phrase that is used when operatives go underground to work off the grid. Usually reserved for senior agents.

• Battle system is similar to Mass Effect but have more in common with Uncharted. It revolves around real time combat with an emphasis on gun play and high tech gadgets.

• Third person perspective, action orientated gameplay

• Close quarters combat can be a last resort or primary method of fighting depending on how you spend skill points you have earned.

• Skill system is based most closely on Fallout. It's classless, you have 10 skills and 10 ranks in each skill. Skills don't simply improve things like accuracy, they improve the way your character will perceive situations.

• The game will suit all play styles from the run and gunner to the stealth assassin.

• Extremely in depth dialog system that is a mix of Mass Effect and Indigo Prophecy. Once conversations happen, that's it, no revisiting the NPC to try to talk again and again. System is named the Dialog Stance System. You dictate your characters tone in a conversation by pressing a corresponding face button. Options can be cool and suave others can be brash/impatient.

• You can have multiple active missions in different countries and travel freely between them.

• Lots of girls and romance subplots. You'll meet tons of different girls on missions and yes you can bag them all.

• Current control scheme for selecting powers and weapons is similar to Bioshock.

I'm anxiously awaiting the new issue of GI.

It's nice to see something fresh in the rpg market.

Could be one of my most anticipated titles if the game looks good.

TreIII

If I can't make an agent of my own design, nor am I able to craft a female agent instead, I'll be VERY disappointed in Obsidian.

JasonUresti said:
That art is no very appealing. I hope thats not indicative of what the overall look of the game will be.

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about the most, but as TreIII said, hopefully we can create our own character.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I'll take my usual Bioware/Obsidian stance of "Want the game, wont hold my breath on the combat being good".

Spoit

Why does GI get so many more exclusive stories as a bonus for GS' "discount" card, when all the other dedicated gaming press, both print and online, can only pick the same stories up months later?

Spoit said:
Why does GI get so many more exclusive stories as a bonus for GS' "discount" card, when all the other dedicated gaming press, both print and online, can only pick the same stories up months later?
Cynical side: Guaranteed favorable coverage
Non-cynical side: Very large circulation.

No6

Jason's Ultimatum said:
^Hahahaha.

When can subcribers expect to get this issue?
I got it in the mail yesterday, which was actually really fast for GI (I think I got the Aliens one a couple weeks ago). Didn't get a chance to look at anything.

And doofus cover art aside, the idea of a modern-day RPG is pretty appealing. Even more impressive if they can keep out any sci-fi trappings. Jagged Alliance 1 is offhand the closest thing I can think of to being a completely non-sci/fant RPG (and it's much more SRPG).

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Wow, this is quite possibly the first SEGA RPG I have no interest in whatsoever... :p Should've gotten Kodama...

From some of the people who brought you such brilliantly original games as Fallout* and Planescape: Torment, comes

CONDITION DANGER: ADVENTURES OF SPECIAL AGENT JOHN GENERIC

* Yes, I've played Wasteland. Hush.

Deepblue

Banned
Well, I think they could use some new artists... Seriously, 4 goggle things all lined up in a row? Are you kidding me?

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Goofy cover art or not, an Obsidian developed RPG that doesn't take place in either a D&D or Star Wars derived universe sounds pretty damn awesome to me.

Shitty character art is shitty.

I haven't read the article yet or looked into the game much, but hopefully its pretty good. Has a really interesting premise, so I hope the absolutely generic character art isn't a sign of the direction the project is heading in. Typical Desert Eagle in hand as well. Ugh.

AppleMIX

Loyalty carries a price and no one knows this more than agent Michael Thorton. A talented young agent cast out by his government, Thorton is the only one with the information needed to stop an impending international catastrophe. To do so means he must cut himself off from the very people he is sworn to protect. As players determine how to accomplish different objectives, the decisions made and actions taken in each mission will ultimately transform the type of secret agent Michael Thorton will become. Every choice the player makes as Michael Thorton will carry consequences for his future and the fate of the world.

“Alpha Protocol blends Obsidian’s knack for intricate story, engrossing characters, and significant character advancement with fast-paced modern combat,” said Feargus Urquhart, CEO of Obsidian Entertainment. “Alpha Protocol embraces everything we enjoy about making RPGs from a fresh perspective. We are confident our talented staff at Obsidian will enable us to deliver this exciting RPG experience.”

I think people are missing the big thing in this thread...

AppleMIX said:

A bigger question-given that Obsidian was working for Sega on a Aliens-themed RPG, has that been scrapped/put on hold for this game instead? Or are they doing two games at the same time right now?

I think the Aliens thing is a TBD thing depending on how well Gearbox's game does.

You are right though-Obsidian, when at their best, pretty much runs circles around almost everyone else in this industry when it comes to storytelling. The key thing is "when at their best", which hasn't been too often (due to no fault of their own, really. At leat their last product-the magnificient Mask of the Betrayer proved that they can deliever the goods to the ability everyone knows they are capable of).

butsomuch

Fragamemnon said:
A bigger question-given that Obsidian was working for Sega on a Aliens-themed RPG, has that been scrapped/put on hold for this game instead? Or are they doing two games at the same time right now?

Obsidian is currently developing two projects. Chris Avellone and Brian Mitsoda working on Alpha Protocol, J.E. Sawyer and MotB team on Aliens.

Swifty

AppleMIX said:
No shit. Jesus Christ, people, it's the former Black Isle guys, the dudes that gave you Fallout and Planescape. They finally have a game where they can do whatever they want instead of being restricted to someone else's intellectual property.

Salazar

Replicant said:
The main character looks awfully generic.

Spies and other folks whose lives frequently depend on passing unnoticed should have green dreadlocks and wear orange sarongs, yeah ?

bathala

Banned

• Lots of girls and romance subplots. You'll meet tons of different girls on missions and yes you can bag them all.

uh huh wah?
ok u got my attention

Top Bottom