• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

alright GAF lets do it: Quake vs UT

Salsa

im talking mainly 3 vs 99, but feel free to go beyond that

39799-unreal-tournament-quake.jpg

this shit was my console wars

im gonna be taking mental notes about this and brand each one of you in my mind. You'll be judged forever GAF. Go.

btw: Quake 3 erryday

Rad-

UT99 is my favorite arena shooter of all time, so that.

Quake sucked.

I actually liked Quake too but I just had to add that to keep up with the topic theme.

Into

Love Quake

But Unreal Tournament 99 is the culmination of the entire "frag FPS" sub genre, best levels and best maps with tons of content.

DJIzana

UT all the way.

"You be dead"!

The one-liners, music, weapons, level design... All hit the sweet spot for me for a FPS.

Pyronite

Change the box art in the first post! (I was confused. I'm dumb.)

Quake III for sure. I can still appreciate the elegant brutality of that game.

I played UT too, but never got sucked in enough to feel it was anything beyond a good game.

They're both good titles, but Quake III has something pure about it that puts it above.

Alastor

All the Q3Test LAN matches I played in high school... I've probably spent a lot more time playing Q3 than UT. But now, I find returning and adjusting to UT99 much easier. Dunno why.

both are better than 99% of shooters today

Endesu

QIII had a better feel and more striking visual design, but UT99 had more in the way of content with its variety of modes and such. Bit of a toss-up there.

Series-wise I've played most of Quake vs. almost none of Unreal so I can't really make a fair comparison.

CrunchyB

I played insane amounts of UT CTF back in the day. Over 10 hours each day, shit was unhealthy. UT99 fan 4 life.

Didn't like Quake, too chaotic.

Sethos

Banned

Haha, I will say that I didn't play either to the extend that some people did. It was the occasional LAN party where friends wanted me to join in or just hanging out with friends we usually went for UT. Even back then I was an anal simulator guy :p

Quake, no question, GOAT FPS - invented the modern FPS industry - responsible for the rise of PC gaming IMHO - killer app for the Pentium and subsequently the Voodoo - the online gaming community and the modding community - levels were very balanced and there was a giant return on skill increase - i.e. the more skill you got, the more it showed - rare for modern FPS to be that way where they dumb things down so everyone can get a kill or two even if they suck

BTW - Quake code is still used in Call of Duty

I'm curious to know how the Nintendo vs. Sega vs. Sony fans divide in terms of their support for either FPS and which one they preferred... My rough sense is that most Nintendo fans preferred Quake and most Sony fans preferred UT - I found most Sega fans split down the middle - but I have no real empirical basis to make that claim outside of what I observed among my friends that owned PCs during that era and what console preference they had

Now it will seem weird when I post my Duke 3D vs Shadow Warrior thread tomorrow. :(

Also, Quake III. By far. For some reason, UT just bored me.

One of the things I like about Quake that people may not agree with is the lack of secondary fire. I think it makes for a simpler game, which I like.

I'm curious to know how the Nintendo vs. Sega vs. Sony fans divide in terms of their support for either FPS and which one they preferred... My rough sense is that most Nintendo fans preferred Quake and most Sony fans preferred UT - I found most Sega fans split down the middle - but I have no real empirical basis to make that claim outside of what I observed among my friends that owned PCs during that era and what console preference they had

Woah, now that's quite a claim. To be fair, I am a Nintendo fan, and I prefer Quake. :p

Salsa

Even back then I was an anal simulator guy :p

ew

but yeah, in my case it was actually the opposite. I played the most Quake on weekly (or even daily, in smaller form) LANs with friends, and what I played of UT99 was mostly over the Internet with randoms, so it wasnt nearly as often, nor did I like it that much. My ping was awful.

Played a shit ton of both for sure though. But yeah QIII kills it.

iavi

UT all the way.

A friend of mine tried to get me into Q3 back in the day, and it just didn't click. Went right back to UT where everybody ran around as Xan's annoying ass.

spuit*11

Banned
Quake is like single malt whisky, UT is like a Jägerbomb.

I find it hard to pick between the two.

But I think I'll have to go with Quake for the simple elegance of it. It's like a condensed minimalistic extract of what makes competitive first person shooters so good.

The twitch-based FPS par excellence.

mkenyon

Banned
Quake has the pure skill weapons that lead to faster action and those memorable moments akin to some insane sports play. UT had zooming sniper rifles and missiles you actively control.

If you like to dink around in an arena or team based shooter, UT is your game.

If you play to win, you play Quake.

I was a mod years ago on the quake 3 forums for a good long while back in its day, but even without that wonderful nostalgia, Quake has a far stronger core game that UT. UT was flash, but Quake had the soul of competition.

I do love me some UT too though

calder

QUAKE.

I never really liked UT that much. Quake DM was *almost* as fun as UT, but Quake had Action Quake, and the godly LMCTF.

GRAPPLE BITCHES AND I'M GONE.

Now someone make a thread complaining about LPB and how delusion they are. Fucking lagging the server with their hyperblaster spam bullshit, then the nerve of (most) of them to pretend that low ping isn't really a game-breaking advantage but just a nice little perk. I constantly ran into one dbag with an ISDN line in like '99 who insisted that his constant 15-1 ratio was simply a result of skill and not the fact he had a ping of 80 (80!) when everyone else on the server had 250 or more. I'd kill for a 350 most nights on my dialup from rural Manitoba. :|

lmctf5.jpg

Quake III for Dreamcast was the first console shooter I played that had a stick dedicated to looking around/aiming as opposed to the old Goldeneye system of moving and aiming with a single stick (relying a lot on aim-assist).

I am partial to the art style of the Quake games, but UT 99 and 2004 provided plenty of good times as well.

Top Bottom