• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alright, GAF. Which Link is the best Link?

egruntz

shelaughz
You guys taught me very recently that every Link you play in the different Legend of Zelda games is actually a new, different Link. This may be common knowledge at this point, and some of you might be laughing at me right now for not having known this, but my mind was absolutely blown. I've only played Ocarina of Time prior to Breath of the Wild and just assumed Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword and all of that were sequels/prequels.

So I dug into your super convoluted timeline theories and was enthralled even further. Zelda has the deepest lore.

Now I'm just curious what about your own, personal opinions. Which Link is the best Link? You can answer this question in any approach you want. Your Link is the best Link because:

• The game he's in is the best in the franchise overall.
  • His cosmetics/style are best in this game.
  • His personality is most dynamic in this game.
  • The story he plays a part in is best of the franchise.
  • He's strongest in this iteration.
  • Etc. Etc. Etc.—Whatever you want.
For me, having only played two Zelda games, BotW Link is amazing.

BotW_Link_Shooting_Artwork.png

He looks badass, whereas the green cap and tunic always looked cheesy to me. I also love the BotW world. It's amazing. And not even just the scope of the natural scenery, but the communities and characters that are present are so awesome and have this great charm to them. There was a thread recently asking about the best male character design you can think of...and I was tempted to say this guy, who's just an inconsequential NPC in BotW:

His design is so subtle and clever to me. The moment I realize his hairdo was a paintbrush I lost my shit. But his occupation/passion as a painter is also appropriately selected from the developers, because it gives purpose to his role in the game. His role is to help you find locations that you have pictures of. He, being a painter and having the desire to paint every natural landscape, has traveled the world painting in pursuit of his passions. So of course he knows where the picture you have takes place. Just great design. And his name...Pikango...Is that intentional too? Pic and Go? Anyway, he exemplifies part of why BotW is such an amazing game to me: its world. This character finds it beautiful and I agree.

Not going to lie...I didn't have the most fun playing Ocarina of Time, and I tried Majora's Mask once but quickly lost interest. BotW however is incredible, and I really hope Nintendo takes Zelda further into this new direction. They'll have my money if they do.

Anywho, which Link is your favorite?

BotW

The way he looks is the best for me, plus his movement is by far the best out of any Links.

Also don't worry about OoT, it's not a good game. MM isn't either, but it has one of the most wonderful world's ever conceived in video games to gloss over a lot of flaws.

13ruce

Banned
Micheal Jackson erm Skyward Sword Link, Toon Link and BotW Link.

TP Link is cool but i hate the Miyamoto like face ingame lol wich he does not even have in official art:/

Fbh

Haven't played BotW

But out of all the others it's easily wind waker link.
He shows more personality and emotion than all the others.

The character model itself will probably age the best too.

BotW's story is basically about how BotW Link is the worst Link ever. Guy can't even lift the Master Sword without killing himself.

Zetta

Hero of Time Link now and forever. I mean he even helped another Link out by giving him techniques.

WW Link to me captures the spirit of the franchise more than the more adult contemporary link we get nowadays. I don't get all the hate it got. I mean I do because people are dumb but still the vitriol spewed by supposed fans of the franchise after WW was shown was embarrassing.

BotW Link does look interesting though and as someone who didn't want a Switch but now does because of Yoshi I'm interested in playing it.

Kangi

Toss-up between Wind Waker's Link, who's very animated and personable, and Breath of the Wild's Link, who's hot able to be stripped uh, well-designed.

TheMoon

ravio01.jpg

ya know!

ravio from a link between worlds, picture from hyrule warriors

reason: actual backstory

very serious contender:
Link_Dolls.png

link dolls from tri force heroes. because they're dead. and you are dead.

requiem02

Banned
BOTW Link followed very closely by Wind Waker Link. Both character designs are nigh on perfect.

BOTW Link is, to me, a more successful version of the design he had in Skyward Sword: somewhere in between the realistic and cartoon styles.

kunonabi

Skyward Sword Link. BotW Link is close behind but his ugly blue outfit along with his lack of development and personality in the actual story stuff hurts him. His green tunic actually looks amazing though which makes it a real shame that they ignore it.

BOTW Link is pretty great.
Pretty partial to OoT Link as well.
WW Link is the most expressive.
TP is the worst with his long ass hat.
SS Link is pretty close to the best of both worlds with WW and TP, but he has weird lips.(though overall I like him better than WW Link)

Kolibri

1. Twilight Princess.
2. Wind Waker.
3. Ocarnia of Time (Adult)

I love both anime/realistic and toon Links.

What I hate are the ugly hybrids, like SS and BOTW. There's something creepy about their faces.

ravio01.jpg

ya know!

ravio from a link between worlds, picture from hyrule warriors

This spoiler tag probably needs context warning even if the player figures it out within half of the dark world dungeons.

Breath of the Wild Link is the most handsome and easiest on the eyes.

Skyward Sword Link probably has the most importance in the series lore but one can also argue that it's Ocarina of Time's Link as well.

The strongest may be the one in Link to the Past. He has an invisible cape that also makes him invincible, the three area of effect medallions, another cane that makes him invincible, and the golden master sword and shield that don't break.

RRockman

Banned
Design wise? Twilight Princess Link.

Physical combat prowess? BotW Link.

Magical combat prowess? Majora's mask Link.

Royce McCutcheon

The hero of time link not only stopped the most powerful version of Ganon, he stopped a moon landing and transcended time and space to teach another lesser link sword techs.

Top Bottom