• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alright, GAF. Which Link is the best Link?

TZchassis

ravio01.jpg

ya know!

ravio from a link between worlds, picture from hyrule warriors

reason: actual backstory

very serious contender:
Link_Dolls.png

link dolls from tri force heroes. because they're dead. and you are dead.
+1

Skyward Sword Link

latest

Hiss relationship with Zelda is the best I've seen in the series and the relationships he develops with the 3 other main supporting characters are also well done.

I also like how he actually grew up in the main area where humans live in Skyward Sword, Skyloft. So all the people he helps out with sidequests have known him for years.

cr0w

Old Member
OG Zelda and Zelda 2 Link. The Downfall timeline has always been my favorite and the state Hyrule was in during those two games was brutal. Plus I liked the concept art a lot.

Best design is botw link followed by ocarina
Best personality is botw-skyward sword-wind waker-oot
Favourite link is lttp/links awakening. Guy goes through personal loss and fought against arguably the toughest opponent except maybe skyward sword link.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
This has been discussed many times before and it was agreed by the Council of Correct Facts that the answer is AlttP/LA/OoA/OoS Link. That's a little long, so I shall refer to him as The Hero of Excellence throughout the rest of this post.

Let's just look at why shall we.

1. Firstly OoT Link, the so called Hero of Time, completely botched his part of the Legend and was killed by Ganondorf, resulting, in likely some of the worst years Hyrule has ever faced. Who is it who comes along to sort out all this mess? The Hero of Excellence.
  2. The Hero of Excellence is also rather unique for never having the Triforce of Courage. Despite all that he stepped up to the plate and did his duty.
  3. To add to that, not only did he not have a single part of the Triforce, Ganondorf Ganon on the other hand had the whole thing. This technically means this is Ganon at his strongest. And yet The Hero of Excellence still kicked his arse.
  4. I believe this is the only Link the Triforce has actually spoken to i.e. The Three Goddesses only had time for one Link, this one.
  5. So we have a Link who saves both Hyrule and the Sacred Realm, but then, is so excellent, is trusted by the Triforce to save two other kingdoms. One of which requires time travel, cos the last Link to rely on that failed his job. Basically the The Hero of Excellence is also technically the better Hero of Time.
  6. BTW, these two other quest also meant defeating Ganon a second time. HoE - 2 HoT- 0
  7. And if that's not all, this Link basically summoned his own quest through the power of dreaming just because there was literally no more evil left for him to defeat.

gtF7AeG.jpg

Oh, and rode around in a kangaroo with boxing gloves on rather than just a horse.

Kjellson

BotW Link in both design and personality. The replies he gives in conversation are gold.

I don't ever wanna go back to the green tunic after the Champion's Tunic.

Kneefoil

• [*]The game he's in is the best in the franchise overall.
  • His cosmetics/style are best in this game.
  • His personality is most dynamic in this game.
    [*]The story he plays a part in is best of the franchise.
  • He's strongest in this iteration.
  • Etc. Etc. Etc.—Whatever you want.
I don't think the bolded really have anything to do with the character itself, so I'll answer the rest. I'll come up with two bonus categories to make up for it, though.

Best cosmetics/style
Breath of the Wild. It's not really fair because of how much more customizable he is here than in the other games. I guess Triforce Heroes is also a competitor, but I like his look in BotW better.

Ignoring the customization options, if we just put Link in a green tunic, my favourite would be the Wii U tech demo Link. For a Link that has actually appeared in a game, Twilight Princess.​

Best personality
I don't think Link really had much of a personality before The Wind Waker. I think TWW Link also had the most personality, or at least the funniest personality of all the Links, so I'll give this one to The Wind Waker.​

Strongest iteration
Probably Twilight Princess Link. He had the most epic adventure for sure, and I think he's the oldest Links we've seen. Late teens/early 20s, so he should be in his prime. I think he'd be the strongest/most capable Link.

No, Fierce Deity Link doesn't count.​

Best role
This was inspired by OP's suggestion about basing the answer on the game's story, but this is more directly tied to Link himself. I'll give this one to Link's Awakening's Link because
in other Zelda games you always try to save the world, or at the very least Zelda, but in this one you basically try to do the opposite; he's the destroyer of the world. I'm sure the Wind Fish will be happy after the game, but ultimately Link ends up erasing the dream world and all of its inhabitants. It's a nice role reversal.

Best backstory
Most Links usually have some kind of backstory, but more often than not, it's very bare bones. He was raised by his uncle/he's been living in this village all of his life, he may or may not be a friend of Zelda's before the game starts, etc.

Ignoring sequels (because they would have the same backstory + the last game), I think the best backstory is probably Ocarina of Time's Link.
He was brought to Kokiri Forest as a baby by his mother who was escaping war. She died, so he was raised as a Kokiri with no fairy of his own, until Deku Tree sent Navi to seek Link and start their adventure.
It's still not crazy in-depth, but I think it's the best Link has ever gotten.​

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
er1T2tt.gif

Best role
This was inspired by OP's suggestion about basing the answer on the game's story, but this is more directly tied to Link himself. I'll give this one to Link's Awakening's Link because
in other Zelda games you always try to save the world, or at the very least Zelda, but in this one you basically try to do the opposite; he's the destroyer of the world. I'm sure the Wind Fish will be happy after the game, but ultimately Link ends up erasing the dream world and all of its inhabitants. It's a nice role reversal.

Holy hell, you get it. Excellently worded. ^_^

Kuro

BoTW Link has a great design but he has the personality of a wet blanket and he's a bitch for failing the first time. OoT is my all time favorite Link but Windwaker Link has the most personality and I love him. Skyward Sword Link is third place because he had great chemistry with his game's cast.

NEO0MJ

That's easy. Wind Wa-

This has been discussed many times before and it was agreed by the Council of Correct Facts that the answer is AlttP/LA/OoA/OoS Link. That's a little long, so I shall refer to him as The Hero of Excellence throughout the rest of this post.

giphy.gif

13ruce

Banned
This is probably like with James Bond, the one you grew up with you prefer.

Ocarina of Time for me.

I grew up with Pierce but i prefer Sean and Roger:)

Anyway honestly OoT/MM Link is iconic he deserves a spot on everyones favorite list tbh.

Plum

Hero of Time, Hero of Wind and Hero of Whatever-BotW-Link-is (the Wild?) are equally the best.

Time because he, along with Snake, "had a hard life" yet he still put up with it and got things done. He's also got the best non-Toon green tunic design.

Wind because he emotes without looking creepy like TP Link and actually gives a shit about his sister and Grandma instead of "Fuck, my uncle's dead! Better start practising my spin attack" Link from LttP.

Whatever-BotW-Link-is because he's just a cool dude; guy gets all the waifus, can do a wicked horse-slow-mo-flip and has the best dialogue choices of any Zelda game.

The SS Link was the worst but Skyward Sword Link is only slightly better. The Hero of Sky-and-Music-Notes is weird-looking, friends with Zelda by default and
unwittingly ruined shit for EVERYONE in the future

The hero of time link not only stopped the most powerful version of Ganon, he stopped a moon landing and transcended time and space to teach another lesser link sword techs.

Yeah but he wouldn't even have gotten the adventure if he hadn't known Saria so she could give him the Ocarina. Just another example of nepotism in the workforce right there.

KraytarJ

1. BotW
2. WW/TP

Used to be a tie for first between Wind Waker Link and Twilight Princess Link for first since I love both of those art styles, but for at least Link's design I now prefer Breath of the Wild above all else.

My favourite Link is BOTW Link :
- Looks badass.
- He got a unique hero outfit compared to all of the heroes before him.
- Highly customizable
- Doesn't back from cross-dressing for a good fifth of the game.
- His fighting style and versatility.
- His survival abilities
- He failed once but set things right, maybe 100 years later, but still.
- He's basically Venom Snake in the Zelda universe (lol).
- Actual trained knight of the Kingdom of Hyrule
- Can be a jerk to others through his answers
- Fights the embodiment of evil upped to 11.
- I like how he's not the all-powerful badass as evidenced by him failing once and Zelda's diary.
- I like how he and Zelda didn't get along at first.
- He got the 2nd best Zelda
- He's the hero of the best Zelda game yet.

Runner-up : Skyward Sword Link
- His design actually make sense with some goddamned pants instead of thighs and chainmail.
- Starts with more hearts than other Links, because he's a hardass.
- Litteraly the first Link. He's the avatar Wan of the Zelda franchise.
- Fights the source of evil
- Badass Skyward strike.
- Gets the best Zelda.
- Friends with the goddess.
- Gets the best sidekick as Groose.
- He's the reason there's a Master sword for all the other scrubs to use.
- His game at least has an innovative and unique fighting scheme, motion control nonwithstanding

Though I like this post :

1. Firstly OoT Link, the so called Hero of Time, completely botched his part of the Legend and was killed by Ganondorf, resulting, in likely some of the worst years Hyrule has ever faced. Who is it who comes along to sort out all this mess? The Hero of Excellence.
  2. The Hero of Excellence is also rather unique for never having the Triforce of Courage. Despite all that he stepped up to the plate and did his duty.
  3. To add to that, not only did he not have a single part of the Triforce, Ganondorf Ganon on the other hand had the whole thing. This technically means this is Ganon at his strongest. And yet The Hero of Excellence still kicked his arse.
  4. I believe this is the only Link the Triforce has actually spoken to i.e. The Three Goddesses only had time for one Link, this one.
  5. So we have a Link who saves both Hyrule and the Sacred Realm, but then, is so excellent, is trusted by the Triforce to save two other kingdoms. One of which requires time travel, cos the last Link to rely on that failed his job. Basically the The Hero of Excellence is also technically the better Hero of Time.
  6. BTW, these two other quest also meant defeating Ganon a second time. HoE - 2 HoT- 0
  7. And if that's not all, this Link basically summoned his own quest through the power of dreaming just because there was literally no more evil left for him to defeat.

gtF7AeG.jpg

Oh, and rode around in a kangaroo with boxing gloves on rather than just a horse.

The Hero of the Winds, whoever that guy is. Far above all the others.

I really dig the Hero of Time's design (both child and adult, and the extra red and blue tunics are pretty pimp), but he's lame as fuck. There are times when characters are relaying EXTREMELY important information to him, and he has the same fucking derpy face for everything, LOL.

Hero of the Winds has the most personality. And the best feeling of adventure, too. And he has a sister, and a sweet grandma. And friends.

N64 Link (mainly bc of Majora's Mask), WW Link, and BotW Link are my favourites. Don't really feel as strongly with other renditions of Link.

Firemind

Yeah but he wouldn't even have gotten the adventure if he hadn't known Saria so she could give him the Ocarina. Just another example of nepotism in the workforce right there.
You can beat the game without ever obtaining an ocarina so factually wrong.

Servbot24

Banned
Wind Waker Link for sure. That designs works beautifully. There's a disconnect with the realistic versions because of how goofy his outfit is.

Royce McCutcheon

Hero of Time, Hero of Wind and Hero of Whatever-BotW-Link-is (the Wild?) are equally the best.

Time because he, along with Snake, "had a hard life" yet he still put up with it and got things done. He's also got the best non-Toon green tunic design.

Wind because he emotes without looking creepy like TP Link and actually gives a shit about his sister and Grandma instead of "Fuck, my uncle's dead! Better start practising my spin attack" Link from LttP.

Whatever-BotW-Link-is because he's just a cool dude; guy gets all the waifus, can do a wicked horse-slow-mo-flip and has the best dialogue choices of any Zelda game.

The SS Link was the worst but Skyward Sword Link is only slightly better. The Hero of Sky-and-Music-Notes is weird-looking, friends with Zelda by default and
unwittingly ruined shit for EVERYONE in the future

Mido who worked hard and ran a successful contracting business did not network well enough to meet the great deku tree. Link literally got in because of his mom and he saved time. +1 for nepotism.

Plum

You can beat the game without ever obtaining an ocarina so factually wrong.

Pretty sure you need Saria's song to get the thingy from Darunia and Zelda's Lullaby to open Zora's Domain. Unless The Hero of Time's story is one in which he backflips and noclips his way to glory I'm factually right.

I just wanted to make a cheap jab at that guy's recent nepotism thread.

Top Bottom