• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Altered Carbon |OT| Stacked to the Max

Spladam

I finished it yesterday, over all I liked it. Yep, it had some cheese, some of the choreography was a bit weak, and some of the narrative a bit formulated, but as Makariel Makariel said, we don't have enough cyber punk. I was playing Deus Ex Mankind Divided for the last week as well, and AC kind of fit that motif.

I really hope we get another season, and I'm stoked to see this kind of budget and production values thrown at a Sci Fi fantasy like this, the CG's were pretty impressive and the environment was well done. It seems we've closed all plot lines but one, so fingers crossed for more.

Inuteu

Saw 2 episodes so far

production is top notch

history have a lot of potential

but the caracters are too anoying and clichê for my taste

I finished watching it yesterday.
First off, I gotta say as an Aussie who first saw Dichen Lachman on Neighbours years ago, its so surreal to see her completely naked. I always thought she was kind of unconventionally attractive, but she looked great there and played her role really well too.
The rest of the series fell a bit flat for me. I found Poe to be fun and Mister Leung to be scary, but the other characters werent very interesting for me at all. The story was ok, but the sleeve idea feel like something Ive seen before with Ghost in the Shell.
I liked the universe though and hope they'll have some new ideas for season 2.

Grimmrobe

I found this show to be pretty decent. Nothing amazing, but passably enjoyable for a few evenings. It'd be nice if it got a second season.

I was pleasantly surprised by the production value, the acting was all ok, story/ writing varied from good to a bit weak, and I felt there were minor pacing issues. All in all pretty standard, maybe slightly above average Netflix fare, in a pretty cool Cyber Punk setting to boot.

I liked it a lot, good world building and budget. Most of the actors played their roles with sincerity and generally it gelled pretty well together.

I felt that the 2nd half or maybe the last 3rd were a bit weaker than the beginning but I overall enjoyed it. A little cheesy here and there but it owned it with a level of sincerity that just makes it work.

I would like to get another season possibly further in the future
now that Ryker has his body back and most of the cast are dead/prison etc... it would be nice to see Tak roaming around looking for Quelle's stack in a new sleeve, new actor playing the part, new cast. I like Joel as the silent brooding type but I feel in the flashbacks he gets out acted by his "past selves". Those actors seem to bring more range to the role, Joel showed his limitations at the end with the emotional scenes that he just couldn't fully sell.

Kadayi

Banned
they are about the same level of garbage. as a swede i have no idea why hollywood keeps hiring kinnaman, his accent is awful and he cant act.

I'll agree that it's not the best-acted show. No worst than Arrow and the like. I think from an ideas perspective it's worth sticking with if you can. It's not great drama, but there is some exploration of those ideas in there that is thought provoking.

Last edited:
I'll agree that it's not the best-acted show. No worst than Arrow and the like. I think from an ideas perspective it's worth sticking with if you can. It's not great drama, but there are some neat ideas in there.

If you want a true cyberpunk blade runner show, check out Total Recall 2070. its amazing. infact Dead Space stole its premise from an episode of this show.

Last edited:
I finished watching it yesterday.
First off, I gotta say as an Aussie who first saw Dichen Lachman on Neighbours years ago, its so surreal to see her completely naked. I always thought she was kind of unconventionally attractive, but she looked great there and played her role really well too.
The rest of the series fell a bit flat for me. I found Poe to be fun and Mister Leung to be scary, but the other characters werent very interesting for me at all. The story was ok, but the sleeve idea feel like something Ive seen before with Ghost in the Shell.
I liked the universe though and hope they'll have some new ideas for season 2.

Haha yeah, when she came on I was like 'ermagerhd that's that Neighbours chick!' and almost freaked out haha

TrainedRage

Banned
I finished it.... Still don't know if I liked it or not. The nudity was refreshing 0.0 and I liked the setting/aesthetic of the show. Not sure about the main actor and some of the writing for dialogue. Like Ortega saying "punta madre" every other sentence. Yet I watched it all. I'm so confused.

Valonquar

Season 2 was hot garbage compared to season 1.

One second he can't attack the military guys because his sleeve is coded not to, and he has a bio-tracker, the next second he's removed bio-tracking off-screen and has no problem fighting anyone at all. The amount of HACK THE PLANET conveniences were making it impossible to suspend disbelief even for a sci-show as out there as this is. 1.5 antiquated AIs whip up a virtual reality to contain an unknown alien entity? No prob. Can't fix this glitch tho without wiping my memory like C3PO. Let's backup someone stack wirelessly in milliseconds tho without them even knowing. W T F

The bartender lesbian mom also being shoehorned in as an archeological expert because sure why not. The filming felt the weirdest combo of high and low budget at the same time. Like super clean garbage heaps, and spotless underground sewer hotels with fresh graffiti outside. Simone Missick felt totally out of place as the "expert bounty hunter" too. She like... didn't do anything but talk shit and "hack" with her hairclips accomplishing dick all. Take that broke ass shit back to Luke Cage.

Every character that was brought back was a weak facsimile of their S1 counterpart. Carrera was badass at first then just plain stupid. Poe had promise, but makes no real progress as a background character with actual promise. Cameos from S1 just to go remember these characters? Quellcrist felt like a totally different actor. I get her character was supposed to have gone through a lot, but what a letdown. Kovacs though, just wow. Last season he didn't give a fuck. This season he was just along for a ride.

If there wasn't enough tropes for you, that ending was some bullshit icing on the bullshit cake. L O L fuck this show.
/rant

Mossybrew

Six episodes in and I'm still pretty meh on Season 2, I remember enjoying the first season more. There seems to be a lot of, emo drama for lack of a better term, that I find annoying. A lot seems to be riding on Kovacs and Quellcrist's relationship, and frankly the show has not been able to make me care about it. A lot of telling instead of showing, like a character saying "Kovacs is the ultimate badass, you don't know who you're dealing with!" but the show hasn't really shown him to be that much of a badass. Eh. I'll finish the remaining episodes but overall it feels like a real dip in quality from S1.

Top Bottom