• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alternatives to MotionInJoy?

Stopping the service disconnects the controller.

I solved this problem by creating 2 .cmd files. One to start the service and one to stop it and I went a little further and added references to the files to my desktop context menu so I just had to right click my desktop and options were there to start and stop the service. You could just use shortcuts or run the files directly as well.

To stop the service use this command:

sc stop DS3Service

To start the service use this command:

sc start DS3Service

I fixed my earlier issue (uninstalled 360 software, uninstalled xinput wrapper, reinstalled both), but now I cannot use this method to switch controllers. Neither this, or the "net Stop 'SCP DS3 Service'" are working any longer. Ideas as to why, anybody? My DS3 will stop trying to connect, but my 360 controller will keep pairing as Player 2.

MNC

Sooooooo

I removed MotionInjoy (I hope, correctly)

I installed the DS3 Xinput Wrapper, with my bluetooth dongle in usb slot 3. Everything works fine; I use Xpadder for games etc. Great stuff.

Now all of a sudden, as soon as I plug my BT dongle into slot 3, my laptop crashes instantly as if it shortcircuits. The dongle works in slot 1 and 2, and other USB devices work in slot 3. It's only BT dongle x slot 3.

What can I do?

Stimpack

Sorry, I saw that frequency suggested a different command to stop the service, I thought I would suggest the one I'm using since it didn't seem to solve your problem.

Ahhh, my mistake. The command he suggested did shut the process down successfully. I don't know if there will really be a difference, but I'll try it out! Such a shame that an issue like this can still exist. I hope for better controller support with the next generation, for sure.

MNC

Sooooooo

I removed MotionInjoy (I hope, correctly)

I installed the DS3 Xinput Wrapper, with my bluetooth dongle in usb slot 3. Everything works fine; I use Xpadder for games etc. Great stuff.

Now all of a sudden, as soon as I plug my BT dongle into slot 3, my laptop crashes instantly as if it shortcircuits. The dongle works in slot 1 and 2, and other USB devices work in slot 3. It's only BT dongle x slot 3.

What can I do?
LOL I had silverfoil in my dongle. Don't ask how. Fixed it.

Kyonashi

Okay, fuck MotionInJoy. It's practically a trojan (even though it might not always do stupid things apparently). It's ugly as sin, it's difficult to understand and navigate at first and it won't work for everyone. Also, ads.

After spending an insane amount of time trying to get my DS3 to connect to my PC (an ACER Aspire 5943G), I've found this somewhat easy way of doing it.

GETTING YOUR PS3 CONTROLLER TO RUN ON A WINDOWS COMPUTER IN TWO MINUTES WITHOUT MOTIONINJOY:

1: Download the official drivers for the Xbox 360 controller from Microsoft's site. I use the 64 bit version, but you should choose the appropriate Windows version here: DOWNLOAD
jbf97bo6GgX5Jn.jpg

2: Install the Xbox 360 controller drivers.
jbp2nEifW9YYKX.jpg

3: Plug in your PS3 controller with USB. Also plug in your bluetooth dongle if you want to use that (and install the drivers if you haven't already).
jbaUz6T9pXHQS6.JPG

4: Download the XInput Wrapper drivers from here: DOWNLOAD

5: Unpack the file and run the ScpDriver.exe file from the ScpServer\bin folder.
j4kD5kREwxKuX.png

6: Windows XP or Vista users - check the Force Install option. Windows 7 or 8 users - leave it unchecked. Click the install button.
jbfyyrSyC00Ptz.jpg

7: YOU ARE DONE! Your PS3 controller will now work, using the official 360 controller drivers (it just tricks the computer into thinking it's a 360 controller).

8: Run whatever game that supports the 360 controller. The PS3 controller will automatically pair with your bluetooth hardware if it's connected to USB while the program is running.

Thanks to user Scarlet.Crush over at the PCSX2 forums for this wonderful fix!

I just can't get this to work. I've followed the steps exactly (both with and without the 'Force Install' box checked on Windows 7). After the install of the ScpDriver, which it says installed successfully, I run PCSX2 and no inputs work. I've tried configuring the pad in the Lilypad settings, but no response there either. My DS3 lights are just flashing, and if I run the Xbox 360 Controller Status program, no lights show up. Where am I going wrong?

MNC

I just can't get this to work. I've followed the steps exactly (both with and without the 'Force Install' box checked on Windows 7). After the install of the ScpDriver, which it says installed successfully, I run PCSX2 and no inputs work. I've tried configuring the pad in the Lilypad settings, but no response there either. My DS3 lights are just flashing, and if I run the Xbox 360 Controller Status program, no lights show up. Where am I going wrong?

You are connecting your DS3 through USB while installing? What lights are showing up? When you hit the XMB button, does it 'enable' the controller and keep 1 light on?

I'm having issues with this as well. It works just fine when plugged in via USB, but as soon as I unplug the controller, it disconnects. (while running a game, of course.)

I'm running windows 8, and I'm fairly certain that both the PS3 controller and the emulated 360 pad both show as being paired under my bluetooth settings.

Edit: And yes I had the DS3 plugged in well before installing.

Kyonashi

You are connecting your DS3 through USB while installing? What lights are showing up? When you hit the XMB button, does it 'enable' the controller and keep 1 light on?

Yes, the very first thing I did before any installs was plug in the DS3 via USB. All four red lights are flashing consistently. When I hit the PS button, nothing happens.

Teletraan1

Banned
I actually was looking for an alternative yesterday and I found this.
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInp...-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller?pid=281823#pid281823

It should work for XBox 360 with a Dualshock 3 controller as well as wireless bluetooth connections, but my bluetooth has a problem where it constantly connects and reconnects so I can't test the bluetooth part. Seems like the Xbox 360 part works though! Not sure if it works with controllers other than the PS3's or not.

I have this working with a bluetooth adapter with both sixxaxis and DS3s. I just press the PS button and it thinks I have a XB controller for every game. Works flawlessly. Thankful to be rid of motion joy. The reason I switched was if I left that tray app running it would get a memory leak and be taking up gigs of ram.

It just has ads in it and has a pretty terrible interface.

It works like a charm, but I always feel kind of dirty using it. I'm surprised nobody has come out with an alternative yet.

I disagree that it works like a charm. Setting it up to work offline won't work for me and the interface is very sloppy.

But yeah, I'm surprised no one's created a better, offline alternative yet.

I posted this in a thread not long ago, but it can't hurt to try again.

I'm not desperate for an alternative; the offline version I use is quite reliable (the only actual problems it has are frequent error screens when switching away from its window, which are fixed simply by going back to the main screen). However, it has some serious inconveniences--I usually have to open it to enable the profile I want, even if I let it run in the background with that profile selected, I always have to open it to disconnect controllers, and I have to uninstall its drivers to use my bluetooth adapter for anything else (luckily that feature's built right in and it works fine for me). Also it can never successfully reinstall the drivers until I close it and open it again for some reason.

There's one feature that's unique to it as far as I know though: a profile that supports pressure sensitivity. This is vital for some PS2 games I like to emulate. If there's another program out there that's more convenient and supports this, please let me know.

Sora_N

Xinput worked great that one night I installed it at 3-4AM (not sure why I was up setting this up at that time lol) but I couldn't figure out why my FFVII (steam) was not working with it. It did work with an Snes emulator. However when I woke up the next day I had no idea why it wasn't detecting anymore. I may have to reinstall or something.

I wanted to use the controller for Bastion since I didn't like using the keyboard.

Amagon

My bluetooth adapter (Asus USB-BT211) is working alright using the MotioninJoy drivers, follow by the Better DS3 software. But now, the MotioninJoy drivers had taken over my adapter and not letting me configure it so I can pair other devices to the bluetooth adapter.

Amagon

So you wanna free up your BT driver again?

Yes, for the most part, though it was a pain of the ass to get the motioninjoy/better ds3 working, which I am trying to not lose that configuration again.

Does anybody have the MotioninJoy & their factory installed bluetooth drivers working at the same time?

Zep

Banned
Yes, for the most part, though it was a pain of the ass to get the motioninjoy/better ds3 working, which I am trying to not lose that configuration again.

Are you using your controller wirelessly? If so, Motioninjoy is gonna suck it up regardless. If you're wired, it shouldn't have messed with your BT adapter.

As it stands, I only know of one way to free up your BT adapter.

Device Manager>Microsoft Common Controller Class>Right click Motioninjoy Virtual Xinput>Uninstall>Check the "delete software" box>Reset computer.

You might lose your configuration though, but thats how you're gonna get your BT back.

Myself, I have my DS3 wired and use my BT for a wireless headset. Possible to do both wireless investing in another BT adapter.

Amagon

So, no matter what, my bluetooth adapter will be only used for MiJ drivers only then?

If so, then that sucks. But luckily, I have a spare bluetooth adapter I can use but its gonna suck up more of my USB ports. :/

Zep

Banned
So, no matter what, my bluetooth adapter will be only used for MiJ drivers only then?

If so, then that sucks. But luckily, I have a spare bluetooth adapter I can use but its gonna suck up more of my USB ports. :/

If wireless, yes. If you use your other BT adapter, you should be able to pair everything else that you want.

I'm having a bit of a problem with this. On my old laptop, the method posted by Foxhimself worked perfectly. But on my new PC, it isn't. The laptop was 32 bit, this one is 64 bit, so I downloaded the right 360 drivers, but after installing the default DS3 drivers, then using the Xinput wrapper program, the 4 lights just continue to flash, eventually going out. Anyone know how to fix this issue?

cebri.one

I'm having a bit of a problem with this. On my old laptop, the method posted by Foxhimself worked perfectly. But on my new PC, it isn't. The laptop was 32 bit, this one is 64 bit, so I downloaded the right 360 drivers, but after installing the default DS3 drivers, then using the Xinput wrapper program, the 4 lights just continue to flash, eventually going out. Anyone know how to fix this issue?

I have the same issue :(

I think the problem is the PC doesn't identify the DS3 as an Xbox controller. Don't know why :S

B.K.

I'm having problems with XInput Wrapper. I installed it and all the buttons on the controller work, but the analog sticks don't work. Anyone know what's wrong?

Lkr

the wireless connection doesn't work for me. i just have a generic BT dongle. when i unplug the controller the connection lights turn off

Thread necro. This is happening to me right now and I don't know why. It used to work. I did not uninstall anything. I'm using the same USB port. I just didn't use my controller on this PC for months. I still works fine on my other PCs. I tried reinstalling the X360 and SCP drivers, but nothing. Tried other USB ports too. The controller also isn't detected under Windows controller config, but it's listed under Devices as "PLAYSTATION(R) 3 Controller".

I see a "No device found" thing when installing SCP drivers. ##### is my censored name.
SUCCESS - Virtual Bus Created
INFO - ENTER: DriverPackageInstallW
INFO - Looking for Model Section [SCProductions.NTamd64]...
INFO - Installing INF file 'C:\Users\######\Downloads\SCP-DS3-Driver-Package-1.0.0.103\ScpServer\bin\System\ScpVBus.inf' (Plug and Play).
INFO - Installing devices with Id "root\ScpVBus" using INF "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\scpvbus.inf_amd64_neutral_21ca245c0e23d7a5\scpvbus.inf".
INFO - ENTER UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevices...
SUCCESS - RETURN UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevices.
INFO - Installation was successful.
SUCCESS - Install completed
INFO - RETURN: DriverPackageInstallW (0x0)
INFO - No matching devices found in INF "C:\Users\######\Downloads\SCP-DS3-Driver-Package-1.0.0.103\ScpServer\bin\System\BthWinUsb.inf" on the Machine.
INFO - RETURN: DriverPackageInstallW (0xE000020B)
INFO - RETURN: DriverPackageInstallW (0x103)
INFO - SCP DS3 Service Started.

Install Succeeded.

-- Install Summary --
SCP DS3 Service
Bus Device
Bus Driver

=========

edit: Wow suddenly I fixed this by checking "Force Install" when reinstalling.

Dmax3901

Okay, fuck MotionInJoy. It's practically a trojan (even though it might not always do stupid things apparently). It's ugly as sin, it's difficult to understand and navigate at first and it won't work for everyone. Also, ads.

After spending an insane amount of time trying to get my DS3 to connect to my PC (an ACER Aspire 5943G), I've found this somewhat easy way of doing it.

GETTING YOUR PS3 CONTROLLER TO RUN ON A WINDOWS COMPUTER IN TWO MINUTES WITHOUT MOTIONINJOY:

1: Download the official drivers for the Xbox 360 controller from Microsoft's site. I use the 64 bit version, but you should choose the appropriate Windows version here: DOWNLOAD
jbf97bo6GgX5Jn.jpg

jbp2nEifW9YYKX.jpg

3: Plug in your PS3 controller with USB. Also plug in your bluetooth dongle if you want to use that (and install the drivers if you haven't already).
jbaUz6T9pXHQS6.JPG

5: Unpack the file and run the ScpDriver.exe file from the ScpServer\bin folder.
j4kD5kREwxKuX.png

6: Windows XP or Vista users - check the Force Install option. Windows 7 or 8 users - leave it unchecked. Click the install button.
jbfyyrSyC00Ptz.jpg

7: YOU ARE DONE! Your PS3 controller will now work, using the official 360 controller drivers (it just tricks the computer into thinking it's a 360 controller).

8: Run whatever game that supports the 360 controller. The PS3 controller will automatically pair with your bluetooth hardware if it's connected to USB while the program is running.

Sorry to bump this thread, but I've been trying to get my DS3 working for Metal Gear Rising and when I try and use SCP it says that it can't find a valid configuration. My bluetooth dongle is on the compatibility list.

This might be pertinent: when I plug in my dongle windows installs stuff automatically and it all seems successfully, but when I try and download official Broadcom drivers it detects the device but then fails to 'validate' the device, whatever that means.

Any ideas? :/

JustinSaneV2

Neo Member
So after about five reinstalls my PC FINALLY recognizes my DS3 and Xbox controller. Now the problem is that when I start up my game (in this case Dark Souls) the controller randomly decides it wants to resync up with my PS3 and turn it on. I've tried resetting the controller via the pinhole on the bottom of the controller but it still remains paired to my PS3. About to say screw it and just buy a wired 360 controller...

Crub

jbf97bo6GgX5Jn.jpg

jbp2nEifW9YYKX.jpg

jbaUz6T9pXHQS6.JPG

j4kD5kREwxKuX.png

jbfyyrSyC00Ptz.jpg

This works great outside one very annoying detail. You can't use it properly in combination with actual 360 controllers.

The simulated 360 controller which is created when the DS3 is connected, remains even when the controller is disconnected. This means it keeps occupying its "controller slot". When I try to connect an actual 360 controller it will always get the second controller slot.

I can't get it to work.

Installed the xbox 360 pad driver just fine from the microsoft site in step 1

connected ps3 controller through usb (it installs the usb driver fine and recognises it as a ps3 controller in devices and printers)

But when I use the scpdriver program it doesn't seem to actually install the scp ds3 service
the install log just says:
Install Succeeded.

-- Install Summary --
Bus Driver
DS3 USB Driver

The controller is not being recognised as an xbox 360 controller in devices and printers
I have tried reconnecting the pad and rebooting and it stays the same.

I'm on windows 7 (64bit)

edit: to clarify, I'm not trying to use bluetooth so I unticked that, just connecting the controller directly through usb.

edit: found it in case anyone else runs into the same problem
for some reason windows 7 blocked the .exes from executing (never had that happen before that I can recall)
right click-> properties and unblocking just set it back to blocked immediately

Moving the files to the desktop (what?) and unblocking them there (again, what? randomly saw this suggestion while googling the problem) before moving them back to my program files folder worked and then it properly installed the services and now it's being recognised as 360 controller in devices and printers.

Really weird...

coopolon

Is there a way to disconnect the ds3 from a pc without it turning on the ps3 it is synced to? I seem to recall it having something to do with the ps button.

t0rment

I can't get it to work.

Installed the xbox 360 pad driver just fine from the microsoft site in step 1

connected ps3 controller through usb (it installs the usb driver fine and recognises it as a ps3 controller in devices and printers)

But when I use the scpdriver program it doesn't seem to actually install the scp ds3 service
the install log just says:

The controller is not being recognised as an xbox 360 controller in devices and printers
I have tried reconnecting the pad and rebooting and it stays the same.

I'm on windows 7 (64bit)

edit: to clarify, I'm not trying to use bluetooth so I unticked that, just connecting the controller directly through usb.

edit: found it in case anyone else runs into the same problem
for some reason windows 7 blocked the .exes from executing (never had that happen before that I can recall)
right click-> properties and unblocking just set it back to blocked immediately

Moving the files to the desktop (what?) and unblocking them there (again, what? randomly saw this suggestion while googling the problem) before moving them back to my program files folder worked and then it properly installed the services and now it's being recognised as 360 controller in devices and printers.

Really weird...

this worked for me, thanks :)

jett

D-Member
Has anyone found a way to flip the triggers? I can't believe this program doesn't offer custom mapping.

edit: just as I post this, I figure it out myself. :lol Open Scp Monitor, on the tray icon right click on profile manager, change "Default" to "TB Swap."

Yudoken

SCP driver works but somehow I have to open SCP Server and it's annoying. Nowhere I looked up said that I've to open it. When I'm not wrong it should normally work without it.
SCP Monitor alone doesn't work as soon as I close ScpServer.
Could someone help me?

ScOULaris

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I recently ran into an issue with MotionInJoy with my DualShock 3.

I have used these drivers for years on several computers with no issues, but when I went to play a game using my DS3 last night it wasn't seeing the controller. So I removed and reinstalled the controller drivers using the MotionInJoy application, and I ended up getting a blue screen. After restarting, I completely removed the driver and reinstalled it again, and it went through successfully.

Now the controller is detected and works just fine, but I noticed that both the MotionInJoy app and the Better DS3 Tool that I usually use to configure my DS3 act very sluggish. Every action takes 5-10 seconds to register. Better DS3 Tool hangs between opening, clicking on X-Input, clicking Apply... etc.

In the end the controller works fine, but I find this odd slowness in the configuration programs to be kind of concerning. Anyone else experience this before?

Note: I am on Windows 8.1, and I was using Better DS3 Tool (w/ MotionInJoy drivers) for my DS3 for months without any issue before this happened.

Top Bottom