• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alternatives to MotionInJoy?

Kinan

Well, yea, MotioninJoy was like necessary evil all these years... DS3_Tool.exe have the ability to download files from a remote location and execute them. Maybe it doesn't do that, but it can, which is as Trojan as it gets.

Okay, fuck MotionInJoy. It's practically a trojan (even though it might not always do stupid things apparently). It's ugly as sin, it's difficult to understand and navigate at first and it won't work for everyone. Also, ads.

After spending an insane amount of time trying to get my DS3 to connect to my PC (an ACER Aspire 5943G), I've found this somewhat easy way of doing it.

GETTING YOUR PS3 CONTROLLER TO RUN ON A WINDOWS COMPUTER IN TWO MINUTES WITHOUT MOTIONINJOY:

1: Download the official drivers for the Xbox 360 controller from Microsoft's site. I use the 64 bit version, but you should choose the appropriate Windows version here: DOWNLOAD
jbf97bo6GgX5Jn.jpg

2: Install the Xbox 360 controller drivers.
jbp2nEifW9YYKX.jpg

3: Plug in your PS3 controller with USB. Also plug in your bluetooth dongle if you want to use that (and install the drivers if you haven't already).
jbaUz6T9pXHQS6.JPG

4: Download the XInput Wrapper drivers from here: DOWNLOAD

5: Unpack the file and run the ScpDriver.exe file from the ScpServer\bin folder.
j4kD5kREwxKuX.png

6: Windows XP or Vista users - check the Force Install option. Windows 7 or 8 users - leave it unchecked. Click the install button.
jbfyyrSyC00Ptz.jpg

7: YOU ARE DONE! Your PS3 controller will now work, using the official 360 controller drivers (it just tricks the computer into thinking it's a 360 controller).

8: Run whatever game that supports the 360 controller. The PS3 controller will automatically pair with your bluetooth hardware if it's connected to USB while the program is running.

Thanks to user Scarlet.Crush over at the PCSX2 forums for this wonderful fix!

Almighty

Hinomura

+1 to FoxHimself suggestion about XInput Wrapper, it really works like charm.

I'm using it for a couple of weeks and no problems at all, while I had troubles with MIJ (random disconnecting - even 10 times in a hour - with 6.x version, and BSODs with 7.x version).

I'm using this wrapper with a DS3 via USB (while most gamers I heard from use it with a DS3 via BT dongle).

velociraptor

Okay, fuck MotionInJoy. It's practically a trojan (even though it might not always do stupid things apparently). It's ugly as sin, it's difficult to understand and navigate at first and it won't work for everyone. Also, ads.

After spending an insane amount of time trying to get my DS3 to connect to my PC (an ACER Aspire 5943G), I've found this somewhat easy way of doing it.

GETTING YOUR PS3 CONTROLLER TO RUN ON A WINDOWS COMPUTER IN TWO MINUTES WITHOUT MOTIONINJOY:

1: Download the official drivers for the Xbox 360 controller from Microsoft's site. I use the 64 bit version, but you should choose the appropriate Windows version here: DOWNLOAD
jbf97bo6GgX5Jn.jpg

jbp2nEifW9YYKX.jpg

3: Plug in your PS3 controller with USB. Also plug in your bluetooth dongle if you want to use that (and install the drivers if you haven't already).
jbaUz6T9pXHQS6.JPG

5: Unpack the file and run the ScpDriver.exe file from the ScpServer\bin folder.
j4kD5kREwxKuX.png

6: Windows XP or Vista users - check the Force Install option. Windows 7 or 8 users - leave it unchecked. Click the install button.
jbfyyrSyC00Ptz.jpg

7: YOU ARE DONE! Your PS3 controller will now work, using the official 360 controller drivers (it just tricks the computer into thinking it's a 360 controller).

8: Run whatever game that supports the 360 controller. The PS3 controller will automatically pair with your bluetooth hardware if it's connected to USB while the program is running.

Hmm this doesn't work for me. I don't know what to do.

mhayze

After messing around with a dualshock 3 and motionInJoy for a while (I had it working) I came to the colnclusion that it would never not be fidgety. I considered a Wired 360 controller, but ended up with a DualShock2 + $6 USB adapter from Amazon, and it just works. Every time. I highly recommend this approach if you prefer a dualshock over a wired 360 controller.

Do people not fundamentally understand that some other people prefer different controllers?

The reason I have the ds3 is because I hate the xbox controller, no other reason.
They understand, but sane people will use the option that provides the best results... this is why they are suggesting the 360 controller. Since you said there is no other reason than that you "hate" the 360 pad, I'd advise sticking it out with motioninjoy or to stop being stubborn and try a damn 360 controller. Anybody can learn to like both pads within a week. If I can do it, so can everyone else.

Or, use a suggestion if anyone else can find one. I have never heard of a concrete solution before.

Wired's never been a problem with me, but damn MIJ's Bluetooth support.

To make it work with the PS3 controller you have to actually REPLACE the Bluetooth drivers with its own.

It's a terrible terrible program that literally could not be any worse designed. It's confusing, broken and full of engrish everywhere.

Followed the steps but the controller only works when plugged through USB. When unplugged it stays in the controller list but nothing works.

Edit: Got it to work. You do need to select "Force Install" even on Windows 7.

velociraptor

Followed the steps but the controller only works when plugged through USB. When unplugged it stays in the controller list but nothing works.

Edit: Got it to work. You do need to select "Force Install" even on Windows 7.

I finally got it to work (PS3 pad recognised as 360).

How do you get bluetooth to connect? Does it happen automatically?

So how do I like, turn the DS3 off? I'd like to use the DS3 for some games, and my 360 controller for others. In order for my 360 controller to occupy the "first player" I need to turn off the DS3, but... I don't know how.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled

jbf97bo6GgX5Jn.jpg

jbp2nEifW9YYKX.jpg

jbaUz6T9pXHQS6.JPG

j4kD5kREwxKuX.png

jbfyyrSyC00Ptz.jpg

This is brilliant and works perfectly. Thank you so much.

Will the FoxHimself method squash the ability to also use a 360 wired controller? In other words can I use a 360 controller and a DS3 at the same time for local co-cop games?

Ms. Tea

Is the Bluetooth support mandatory on the XInput wrapper? One of the things I hated about Motioninjoy is how it took over my Bluetooth dongle even though I was using the controller through USB, preventing me from using it for anything else.

Will the FoxHimself method squash the ability to also use a 360 wired controller? In other words can I use a 360 controller and a DS3 at the same time for local co-cop games?

Yes, it's possible. Someone in the Steam Summer Sale thread got 2 360 pads and 2 Dualshock 3 pads running at the sane time.

Is the Bluetooth support mandatory on the XInput wrapper? One of the things I hated about Motioninjoy is how it took over my Bluetooth dongle even though I was using the controller through USB, preventing me from using it for anything else.

No, you can use USB only if you'd like. Just uncheck the 'Bluetooth drivers' box on the install screen.

Shadow780

Did you installed the bluetooth drive as well? I can use my bluetooth while only doing wired PS3 connection.

Ok so I am running into trouble on step 5 of FoxHimself's post.

"5: Unpack the file and run the ScpDriver.exe file from the ScpServerbin folder."

It appears I do not have a program to unzip compressed folders? It's a pretty new lap top so I don't think I have had a need to unzip anything up until now.

Can anyone recommend me a good, free program to help me complete this step? I downloaded one thru CNet and it secretly installed a bunch of free to play game launcher things that were annoying to uninstall.

Thanks so much in advance. I have a bunch of Steam games I just got and am not a fan of trying to play games with the M/KB.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I really don't understand everyone's problem with MotioninJoy.

I've had it forever and it's always worked without a hitch for me. I plug in my DS3, MotioninJoy automatically detects it, I enable 360 controller emulation, and get to playing all my games. Couldn't be a simpler process.

Can anyone recommend me a good, free program to help me complete this step? I downloaded one thru CNet and it secretly installed a bunch of free to play game launcher things that were annoying to uninstall.
http://www.7-zip.org/

I've had it forever and it's always worked without a hitch for me. I plug in my DS3, MotioninJoy automatically detects it, I enable 360 controller emulation, and get to playing all my games. Couldn't be a simpler process.
It's ugly, has a bizarre interface, and gives the feeling of doing bad things to your system, whether or not the latest version actually does. In the past a bunch of users have had their OS's USB functionality hosed thanks to MotionInJoy screwing it up.

In my own experience, when I used MotionInJoy my controller would "freeze" and stop taking input at least every couple hours. I always had to keep a paperclip nearby to push the DS3's tiny reset button, hopefully before the freeze ended up killing me in whatever I was playing. (It's kinda bad when Dark Souls suddenly thinks you have the analog pegged forward in an area full of enemies and pitfalls.)

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

I had to reinstall all my laptop's bluetooth drivers after using it, plus it disconnected half the time.

linkboy

It functions just fine, but if it screws up, it screws up badly.

I installed it on my wife's old computer and it went all haywire. It overwrote her USB drivers and effectively killed her Logitech Wireless Mouse/Keyboard and it was to the point where the only way to fix it was to format and install Windows again.

That's why I went and bought one of Logitech's controllers, so I wouldn't have to deal with Motionjoy.

frequency

It decided to take over my USB port and my wireless mouse stopped working in that USB port. It was a lot of work and digging in the registry to remove it afterwards so that I could use that USB port again for my mouse.

MotionInJoy is "fine" if you never use that USB port for anything wireless again.

The XInput method is just as easy to use and doesn't overwrite basic functionality of anything. And you don't need to keep some extra program open just to use it. After setting up, it is literally just plug it in and play. No need to run an additional application like you do with MotionInJoy.

Not to mention the ads and pop ups some people get with MotionInJoy.

There is simply a better solution for the same functionality.

I don't understand people's resistance to alternative solutions and denial of issues others experience with MotionInJoy.

linkboy

It decided to take over my USB port and my wireless mouse stopped working in that USB port. It was a lot of work and digging in the registry to remove it afterwards so that I could use that USB port again for my mouse.

MotionInJoy is "fine" if you never use that USB port for anything wireless again.

The XInput method is just as easy to use and doesn't overwrite basic functionality of anything. And you don't need to keep some extra program open just to use it. After setting up, it is literally just plug it in and play. No need to run an additional application like you do with MotionInJoy.

It is simply a better solution for the same functionality.

I don't understand people's resistance to alternative solutions and denial of issues others experience with MotionInJoy.

People get set in their ways.

Would be nice if someone could get the Wii U Pro Controller to work with spoofing the actual MS drivers.

Ok so I downloaded another unzip program, (before i seen the above recommendation) and when I go to unzip the contents of the download (provided in Foxhimself's post) the folder that i extract to is empty?

edit: Nevermind, I seem to have figured the last steps out. now just to find a game with controller support. Is this easily seen from with in Steam while viewing your game library?

ever since i deleted all trace of motion in joy from my laptop and deleted all of its usb entries in device manager by unlocking the hidden devices, my laptop has been running A LOT quicker.

fuck motion in joy, get that xinput wrapper, it works great, and i think the latest version supports pressure sensitive buttons.

RedSwirl

I've been using Joy2Key for a while and that seems to work fine. What about Xpadder?

Anyway, someone in another thread mentioned and linked some kind of exe that actually just makes a game recognize any controller as an Xbox controller. Haven't tested it yet.

My problem is that in one case I'm trying to use my PS3 fight stick, and I don't wanna have to buy another $130 stick for Xbox just to get that native compatibility.

frequency

Xinput Wrapper might not work for me since my computer doesn't have bluetooth and I don't have a bluetooth dongle. Again, I'm trying to use a wired PS3 arcade stick.

Anybody tried this? http://www.download3k.com/Install-Microsoft-Xbox-360-Wireless-Controller-Driver-Beta.html

The instructions are a little misleading if you do not read extra carefully. I thought I needed bluetooth too at first. You don't need to use bluetooth. I just connect it using a USB cable and play that way. In install, you can tell it to not install the bluetooth stuff.

The only issue I have with the Xinput Wrapper, once you plug in a pad with usb, it stays reserved and won't disconnect completely from the system. (the controller turns off and is disconnected)

for example:

play skyrim with controller plugged in usb. quit
unplug controller
play skyrim without controller (kb/m)... it still act as though controller is still plugged in and is still gamepad mode.

Probably gonna go back to Motioninjoy drivers and use Better DS3 instead.

Which version of MotioninJoy causes problems? While I'm not trying to defend it/accuse people of being wrong, I've been using 0.6.0.3 for a couple years now and I haven't encountered any sort of pop-ups or anything. Maybe I'm lucky?

any bluetooh adapter willl do the work? i want to use the move navigation controller for pc gaming with mouse aiming but i dont know if every bluetooh adaptador works with that hardware

There's a company called MayFlash, they do a lot of adapters. Apparently they have an all in one adapter for the Wii U Pro controller, as well as the DS3. From what I understand, you plug in that one dongle, and just install a standard driver that they supply you with, and it works wirelessly as either Xinput or Dinput, based on a switch. No weird configuration tools to have to give you ads every 10 seconds or any shit like that.
I've ordered the Wii U Procon version, I can give you a post on how I like it when it gets here, if you'd like.

Ashuron

I moved on to Xinput. I remember I was able to get the DS3 keypad to work with MotionInJoy but with one of the updates it must've broke it. If anyone here has the keypad working with the recent version let me know. Xinput doesn't support the keypad at all.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Far, far better than Sony's "4 separate buttons" excuse for a "D-pad."

It's mindboggling that they removed Vita-dpad from DS4(the prototype) and got a segmented d-pad like the DS3 one again.

speaking of... is DS4 confirmed to work on PC? (I remember seeing a video of a dude playing a racing game with DS4 on his PC)

injurai

Banned
That post above seems pretty interesting. I may have to try it out. I have a friend that doesn't trust motionInjoy.

Which version of MotioninJoy causes problems? While I'm not trying to defend it/accuse people of being wrong, I've been using 0.6.0.3 for a couple years now and I haven't encountered any sort of pop-ups or anything. Maybe I'm lucky?

Same, there are really good plug-ins that allow it to speak with PCSX2 as well. So I use that for emulators.

There's a company called MayFlash, they do a lot of adapters. Apparently they have an all in one adapter for the Wii U Pro controller, as well as the DS3. From what I understand, you plug in that one dongle, and just install a standard driver that they supply you with, and it works wirelessly as either Xinput or Dinput, based on a switch. No weird configuration tools to have to give you ads every 10 seconds or any shit like that.
I've ordered the Wii U Procon version, I can give you a post on how I like it when it gets here, if you'd like.

Oh neat, i'm surprised I hadn't heard about anything like this before. Would be interesting to know about it.

There is simply a better solution for the same functionality.

xinput works with the move navigator?

Ok so I downloaded another unzip program, (before i seen the above recommendation) and when I go to unzip the contents of the download (provided in Foxhimself's post) the folder that i extract to is empty?

edit: Nevermind, I seem to have figured the last steps out. now just to find a game with controller support. Is this easily seen from with in Steam while viewing your game library?

Lol okay, so now I'm having another problem which I am not even sure if its related to me setting up, and using my DS3 on my computer earlier.

Anyways, my PS3 has now just turned itself on twice in last couple hours, I know it's not my PS+ automatic patch download setting, because that's set to turn on at 3AM.

Has anyone else heard or experienced anything like this?

Top Bottom