• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alundra and Arc the Lad on PSN 10.12.2010, $5.99 apiece

vireland

The press releases isn't out yet, but I got word that it is official that Alundra and Arc the Lad will be on PSN next Tuesday for $5.99 each. It's been a long road to get these up, but we finally made it! There are others in the pipeline behind these, so as long as the sales are good, we'll work to keep putting more up.

EDIT Sept 2011: All the Arc Collection games and Alundra are coming to EU PSN Store beginning October 2011. Arc I is first, then II and III, and Alundra after that. We're shooting to have the remaining EU WD PSN PSOne releases be much closer to the US PSN releases. How well these first 4 are received will dictate our success in that to some extent, so EU fans, tell your friends!

Alundra_box_tiny.jpg
arc_logo.jpg

Arc the Lad PSN Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx-wgfqZ23g

zlatko

Banned
vireland said:
The press releases isn't out yet, but I got word that it is official that Alundra and Arc the Lad will be on PSN next Tuesday for $5.99 each. It's been a long road to get these up, but we finally made it! There are others in the pipeline behind these, so as long as the sales are good, we'll work to keep putting more up.

If you work for Sony in some way then I know the one game you guys NEED to get up.

Xenogears.

I think I speak for a majority of Gaf who would buy it up in a second and that includes myself. It's on the Japanese store, so if you can make it happen it'd be amazing.

Yasae

Banned
............................And no love for Arc the Lad.

Which makes sense, as it wasn't too great.

vireland

_dementia said:
Pretty much.

I liked Arc II though.

But to get the most awesome storyline/events in Arc II, you have to finish the dungeon in Arc I and bring the save into Arc II so they're unlocked.
Choko for the win!

soldat7

vireland said:

I am for sure buying Alundra, but I don't like the tone of this. How much money do you stand to lose on these?

Phenomic

Feel kind of foolish buying another copy of Alundra since I have the disc copy still. I want to support this somehow though, how good is Arc the Lad? I never actually played that one.

vireland said:

(Sorry, Europe. SCEE is still on the fence on offering Alundra due to Psygnosis being involved because their European version is based on the WD English version. It's a little complicated, but hopefully the strong US PSN sales will help us move them to offer this in Europe as well. As of right now there's no European PSN release.)

Do you work for Sony or something? What would be "good sales"? I would probably buy them and never play them if there's a possibility I might get Chrono or Dragon Quest VII.

AranhaHunter said:
Do you work for Sony or something? What would be "good sales"? I would probably buy them and never play them if there's a possibility I might get Chrono Trigger/Cross or Dragon Quest IV/VII.

His old company, Working Designs, translated and released the games in the US, along with many others. Chronos, Dragon Quests and Xenogears would be a Sony and SE thing.

edit: Will get Alundra, never played it. Still have the Arc the Lad discs.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
vireland said:
The press releases isn't out yet, but I got word that it is official that Alundra and Arc the Lad will be on PSN next Tuesday for $5.99 each.

Raptor Jesus.gif

FUCKING FINALLY! THANK YOU GRACE CHEN!

Two true PSX classics among a sea of Disney shovelware!

SUCK IT, DMPRINCE! I GET MY GAME BEFORE YOU DO! NYAH-NYAH!

Thank you for getting these out there, Vic.

Do you have an ETA for Arc 2/Arena and Arc 3?

vireland said:
But to get the most awesome storyline/events in Arc II, you have to finish the dungeon in Arc I and bring the save into Arc II so they're unlocked.
Choko for the win!
I did this

and still it was like a 9 hour game :/

Yasae

Banned
TheSeks said:
Raptor Jesus.gif

FUCKING FINALLY! THANK YOU GRACE CHEN!

Two true PSX classics among a sea of Disney shovelware!

SUCK IT, DMPRINCE! I GET MY GAME BEFORE YOU DO! NYAH-NYAH!

Thank you for getting these out there, Vic.

Do you have an ETA for Arc 2/Arena and Arc 3?
There you are. Thought you might have been molested or something.

The Arc sequels would be welcome. I still didn't find 2 or 3 amazing, but they're worthwhile plays.
OT but were the PS2 Arc the Lads any decent?
First PS2 Arc was horrible. Maybe a 3/10.

vireland

soldat7 said:
I am for sure buying Alundra, but I don't like the tone of this. How much money do you stand to lose on these?

It's more a question of "is it worth the effort"? It's a complete pain in the butt to get older titles licensed and ready for PSN. If they only sell 5,000 or 10,000 or something, it's hardly worth it after everyone takes their cut. If we're selling 20 or 30k units (which is completely reasonable for an RPG at these prices and with the PS3 installed base), and up, it makes sense to keep grinding away at the other titles we're working on and maybe even get some PS1 content that was never localized translated for first-time release. There are lots of possibilities, but they all hinge on sales of these first few titles, since they don't get a whole lot better than this. If these won't sell for $5.99, nothing will.

Teknoman

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
His old company, Working Designs, translated and released the games in the US, along with many others. Chronos, Dragon Quests and Xenogears would be a Sony and SE thing.

edit: Will get Alundra, never played it. Still have the Arc the Lad discs.

Same here. Still have Arc the lad collection, but never played Alundra 1.

vireland

Kagari said:

I felt "no" because there's a continuity break with world terms. They obviously didn't play much of the prior ones before doing localization. The last PS2 one was really, pathetically, awful.

B.K.

Kagari said:

No. I like to pretend the series ended after Arc the Lad II. The first two were the only good games in the series.

Aeana

The Arc games have such cool music, written by the leader of T-SQUARE, Masahiro Andoh. That was pretty much the only reason I wanted to play them in the first place. Never did beat 1, though... I'd like to get to 2, since everybody says it's really great. Maybe I'll buy 1 on PSN and finally beat it so I can move on.

vireland

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Good.
I will buy Alundra and play through it even if it does depress the hell out of me.

Playing it again getting things ready for this launch, I've been struck all over again by how fantastic the MUSIC is in the game. But it's all great - music, story, puzzles - it really is the superior Zelda experience, with a really dark storyline that Zelda would never touch.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Alundra, will buy!

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
vireland said:

(Sorry, Europe. SCEE is still on the fence on offering Alundra due to Psygnosis being involved because their European version is based on the WD English version. It's a little complicated, but hopefully the strong US PSN sales will help us move them to offer this in Europe as well. As of right now there's no European PSN release.)

I'll be buying both! Thanks!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
vireland said:
I felt "no" because there's a continuity break with world terms. They obviously didn't play much of the prior ones before doing localization. The last PS2 one was really, pathetically, awful.

Haha, all right. I'll definitely pick up these PSN releases though.

Yasae

Banned
I3rand0 said:
It's better than Arc 3.
No, really it's not.

To be fair I didn't finish Twilight of Spirits, but did get 25 hours in and wondered when it would stop being boring, derivative dreck. Never happened, so I quit.

I3rand0

Yasae said:
No, really it's not.

To be fair I didn't finish Twilight of Spirits, but did get 25 hours in and wondered when it would stop being boring, derivative dreck. Never happened, so I quit.

And you finished Arc 3 because it was so different...?

Outside of the plot (translation) issues, it's still a better game overall than 3 but nowhere near as good as 1/2.

Trigunner

B.K. said:
No. I like to pretend the series ended after Arc the Lad II. The first two were the only good games in the series.

Arc 3 is still pretty entertaining (Spicy!), but obviously doesn't contain the epicness or emotional punch of the first two...listening to And Tomorrow always depresses me :(

Top Bottom